Photo

La Puerta

57 replies to this topic
Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:18 AM Edited by Ferocious Banger, 25 May 2013 - 12:33 PM.

Before I start, let me remind you that Los Santos will be the only "major" city, since it is the focal centre of the game; Dan Houser himself explicitly stated that doing one city felt "better" than doing multiple cities, too.

BUT, Los Santos sure isn't big enough to warrant the claim of being the only city.

If you guys don't believe that LS isn't large, refer to this post of deffpony.

Ok, here is my attempt to get a good scale of LS. We know that the empire state building is scaled 1:1, and I think its safe to assume the LS Bank tower is also scaled 1:1.

I first proportionately placed a 1:1 scale of the Bank Tower on the appropriate location of the blueprint map.

user posted image

user posted image

You can notice in the skydive shot that the tower has a moderate amount of room between the street and the base. I accounted for the space when placing the model on the map.

Then I added a 1:1 3d model of LC. The empire state building and LS bank tower are both scaled 1:1 so comparing them should be accuarate. The variances will lie in whether the bank tower is placed on the map correctly.

user posted image

user posted image

I double checked everything because LS seemed far too small but this is as accurate as possible using the two buildings as a reference. However, in my final scale comparison I made LS 5% bigger to account for any errors I may have made.

user posted image

user posted image

On paper this should be accurate, but the city seems ridiculously small. What do you guys think??

Now, it is well known that R* is apprently "hiding" the whole game. We practically know the outline of every single facet of the game, except for the northern part of the map.

Now I am interlinking the theories of "LS not being big enough" and "R* hiding part". Where am I heading? To La Puerta.

There have been a minimum of 25 preview articles of GTAV since November 8, and not a single preview mentions the name "La Puerta" or "Los Puerta". La Puerta also happens to be one of the only two name signs - along with Sandy Shores - that Rockstar focused on in any trailer.

user posted image

There has to be another urban settlement even if not as large as Los Santos, for the proportions between the "metropolitan" city and the countryside just don't seem to gel together.

The fact that Rocktar have explicitly shown almost the full map of LS - including the streets - further suggests the presence of La Puerta, the city.

Thoughts?

man dragon
  • man dragon

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

The old theory was that Los Puerta, which in English means The Door, is the GTA rendition of San Diego (considered "the door" into America from Mexico). Interstate 5 runs from San Diego to San Francisco (and beyond) and between San Diego and LA it is known as the San Diego Freeway - which is the reference in the trailer. It doesn't necessarily mean the area is included in the game.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE (man dragon @ Friday, May 24 2013, 17:01)
The old theory was that Los Puerta, which in English means The Door, is the GTA rendition of San Diego (considered "the door" into America from Mexico). Interstate 5 runs from San Diego to San Francisco (and beyond) and between San Diego and LA it is known as the San Diego Freeway - which is the reference in the trailer. It doesn't necessarily mean the area is included in the game.

A miniscule San Diego parody is very likely, La Puerta. Even if it isn't, La Puerta definitely is in the map. It's funny that the name has almost been non-existent since 2/11/2011. Yes, we saw a quick glimpse of it in the Michael trailer ( now La Puerta, instead of being Los Puerta ). But still, it is a mysterious place now.

man dragon
  • man dragon

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

Oh, I didn't know the name changed. What second does it appear in the Michael trailer?

I've mentioned a few times that I think San Diego will get the Alderney treatment. As in, an area of the map that in no way reflects real-world geography, but there nonetheless.

dangr
  • dangr

Hustler

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:38 AM Edited by dangr, 24 May 2013 - 11:42 AM.

Good job Ferocious Banger! smile.gif

This really can't be Los Santos. There is a slight chance to be just a part of it. The map is huge and if Los Santos was that small, wtf would we have? Just Cause's map?

I believe that this is one of the towns of the game.
If we have a Los Santos (in the size of Liberty City), a town like this and some villages 5 times bigger than those in San Andreas that would be awesome. And then, nobody would care about Las Venturas and San Fierro.

Edit: We see a mountain extremely close to this city so I am even more convinced that this is not Los Santos.

oRRe13
  • oRRe13

Snitch

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

Thats a very unfair comparison, that portion of the map we've been seeing, doesn't even show the entire Los Santos. It will probably be a lot bigger than that piece of map shows. Hasn't even Rockstar mentioned something about LS being as big as LC?

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE (dangr @ Friday, May 24 2013, 17:08)

This really can't be Los Santos. There is a slight chance to be just a part of it. The map is huge and if Los Santos was that small, wtf would we have? Just Cause's map?

If we have a Los Santos (in the size of Liberty City), a town like this and some villages 5 times bigger than those in San Andreas that would be awesome. And then, nobody would care about Las Venturas and San Fierro.

Edit: We see a mountain extremely close to this city so I am even more convinced that this is not Los Santos.

What we saw is Los Santos. But the Los Santos here doesn't, in my humble opinion, warant the claim of "one big city". There has to be an urban settlement, and the mysterious La Puerta might well be it.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE (oRRe13 @ Friday, May 24 2013, 17:13)
Thats a very unfair comparison, that portion of the map we've been seeing, doesn't even show the entire Los Santos. It will probably be a lot bigger than that piece of map shows. Hasn't even Rockstar mentioned something about LS being as big as LC?

Yes, and that is only if the landmass alone is taken into account.

Emergency_Room
  • Emergency_Room

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

I have said this before and I want to say it again. I wonder if La Puerta could be based off of Orange County (i.e. Santa Ana, Anaheim, etc) rather than San Diego. Certainly you can not talk about L.A. without mentioning Orange County. Also Orange County has a reputation for being one of the most expensive places to live in the U.S. and would certainly fit in with the money theme.

Also a lot of people are saying that I-5 is known as the San Diego Freeway. While this is true in some areas, through Los Angeles I-5 and the San Diego Freeway are two separate freeways. The San Diego Freeway begins at the northern I-5 and I-405 interchange and follows I-405 through L.A.

I-5 meanwhile has two different names in L.A. North of the I-10 interchange it is known as the Golden State Freeway a reference to the fact it goes on up into central/northern California. South of the I-10 Interchange it is called the Santa Ana Freeway a reference to the city of Santa Ana. At the southern interchange between I-5 and I-405 is where I-5 gets the San Diego Freeway name.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (Emergency_Room @ Friday, May 24 2013, 17:41)
I have said this before and I want to say it again. I wonder if La Puerta could be based off of Orange County (i.e. Santa Ana, Anaheim, etc) rather than San Diego. Certainly you can not talk about L.A. without mentioning Orange County. Also Orange County has a reputation for being one of the most expensive places to live in the U.S. and would certainly fit in with the money theme.

Also a lot of people are saying that I-5 is known as the San Diego Freeway. While this is true in some areas, through Los Angeles I-5 and the San Diego Freeway are two separate freeways. The San Diego Freeway begins at the northern I-5 and I-405 interchange and follows I-405 through L.A.

I-5 meanwhile has two different names in L.A. North of the I-10 interchange it is known as the Golden State Freeway a reference to the fact it goes on up into central/northern California. South of the I-10 Interchange it is called the Santa Ana Freeway a reference to the city of Santa Ana. At the southern interchange between I-5 and I-405 is where I-5 gets the San Diego Freeway name.

Thanks for the information. smile.gif

And, yeah, urban settlements elsewhere is pretty much a given.

AceHigh11
  • AceHigh11

Homie

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

Plausible icon14.gif

man dragon
  • man dragon

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

Speaking of other areas outside LS, I think I see an area that could be based off of Malibu. It would be great if this area was called Babylon, as a reference to how the Malibu Club in Vice City was based off the Babylon Club in Scarface.

user posted image

DS 17
  • DS 17

om nom nom

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (dangr @ Friday, May 24 2013, 12:38)

What ?

This IS Los Santos. Sorry for disappointing you, I also think it is very small for being Los Angeles metropolitan area, but it is.
Just compare the coastline and other things in the city to the screens and you will see this is definitely LS 100% confirmed.

j.hunt
  • j.hunt

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

I wonder if they changed Los Puerta to La Puerta. i hope so because in spanish doesn't make sense and sounds extremely gay.

AceHigh11
  • AceHigh11

Homie

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (man dragon @ Friday, May 24 2013, 14:27)
Speaking of other areas outside LS, I think I see an area that could be based off of Malibu. It would be great if this area was called Babylon, as a reference to how the Malibu Club in Vice City was based off the Babylon Club in Scarface.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2zsppfl.jpg

Yep, other people talked about this too.

X-E celebrant
  • X-E celebrant

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

thou hast thought wrong about the locations of the new world
KRAFF hasn't planned on making another landmass south of the home of the saints
however, KRAFF has created a hidden landmass to the north and east of the city
to the north houses a SAINT once ruling with IRON fists on the city, now surrounded by thick forests
VENTURE to the east, and you will find the city of owls, surrounded by desert and feathering dunes.

d00d
  • d00d

Common sense with a baseball bat

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

I don't really agree with the speculation, but nice work on calibrating the maps and sizes. icon14.gif

j.hunt
  • j.hunt

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

icon14.gif

DS 17
  • DS 17

om nom nom

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE (X-E celebrant @ Friday, May 24 2013, 15:34)
to the north houses a SAINT once ruling with IRON fists on the city, now surrounded by thick forests
VENTURE to the east, and you will find the city of owls, surrounded by desert and feathering dunes.

THIS sounds very interesting. Now let's wait and check your legit status.

man dragon
  • man dragon

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:44 PM Edited by man dragon, 24 May 2013 - 02:47 PM.

San Fierro literally means Saint Iron.
City of Owls? Las Venturas is a city that comes alive at night, and it is certainly surrounded by desert.

... I actually don't want San Fierro or Las Venturas in the game though.

Edit: all just a troll. smile.gif

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (man dragon @ Friday, May 24 2013, 20:14)
San Fierro literally means Saint Iron.
City of Owls? Las Venturas is a city that comes alive at night, and it is certainly surrounded by desert.

... I actually don't want San Fierro or Las Venturas in the game though.

Edit: all just a troll. smile.gif

I, for a moment, thought that this indicated another 'city'. The mind of mine was already f*cked from all the sides from the other, now locked, thread.

And, yes, Malibu seems very plausible! colgate.gif icon14.gif

sivaG
  • sivaG

Shetland Pony

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (X-E celebrant @ Friday, May 24 2013, 14:34)

xXGayKillaXx

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (sivaG @ Friday, May 24 2013, 20:23)
QUOTE (X-E celebrant @ Friday, May 24 2013, 14:34)

xXGayKillaXx

Yes. Let's leave that alone.

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (man dragon @ Friday, May 24 2013, 06:31)

I just can't remember that last time R* put names on the freeway signs in GTA of places that don't exist just for kicks. If one doesn't subscribe to the theory of LP being San Diego, then that makes sense. But denying La Puerta's existence altogether is unreasonable.

man dragon
  • man dragon

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE (canttakemyid @ Friday, May 24 2013, 16:45)

I just can't remember that last time R* put names on the freeway signs in GTA of places that don't exist just for kicks. If one doesn't subscribe to the theory of LP being San Diego, then that makes sense. But denying La Puerta's existence altogether is unreasonable.

The only flaw in your logic is that that is the name of the Freeway, not the destination. Los Santos itself seems to be at the very Southern end of the map, and the destination shown in the trailer is "North." Don't for a second think I'm trying to disprove it though, I would love for La Puerta to be San Diego, I'm just not getting my hopes up.

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (man dragon @ Friday, May 24 2013, 11:56)
QUOTE (canttakemyid @ Friday, May 24 2013, 16:45)

The only flaw in your logic is that that is the name of the Freeway, not the destination. Los Santos itself seems to be at the very Southern end of the map, and the destination shown in the trailer is "North." Don't for a second think I'm trying to disprove it though, I would love for La Puerta to be San Diego, I'm just not getting my hopes up.

That's looking like a strong possibility as well. I'm not getting my hopes up either. As of lately, R* has only been living up to the most modest of the fan base's expectations.

iTruth
  • iTruth

Rat

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

I was expecting a urban settlement close to the dimensions of Los Santos all along, just didn't know it was under the form of "La Puerta".
Of course, it wouldn't make sense to have LS and immediately countryside or desert. There has to be minor settlements scattered around LS.

Niick99
  • Niick99

Playa

• Members

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:26 AM

They wouldnt put La Puerta on a freeway sign for no reason, so yes La Puerta will be in the game. THREAD DESTROYED

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:34 AM

QUOTE (Niick99 @ Saturday, May 25 2013, 06:56)
They wouldnt put La Puerta on a freeway sign for no reason, so yes La Puerta will be in the game. THREAD DESTROYED

Not destroyed.

Niick99
  • Niick99

Playa

• Members

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:36 AM

QUOTE (Ferocious Banger @ Saturday, May 25 2013, 03:34)
QUOTE (Niick99 @ Saturday, May 25 2013, 06:56)

Not destroyed.

Ey.... THREAD DESTROYED, AGAIN! Lol but seriously tho, wait until the game comes out and be suprised ok sport colgate.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users