Quantcast

» «
Photo

So I decided to get a console for GTAV...

47 replies to this topic
NTxC
  • NTxC

GTA V.

• Members

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

Hey guys, I decided I want to play GTAV on September 17th.

Now.
The last console I bought was back in 2000, and that was the Sega Mega Drive. (it still works, awesome piece of hardware)

Right now, I'm not sure whether I should pick up an Xbox 360 or a PS3.
I scanned both on the internet, and both seem attractive. Still can't decide, so I'll go ahead and ask the community of my favourite forum.

What should I pick to play GTAV, and why?

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

PS3. Blu-ray drive, free PSN, hackers don't arrive as early as on 360.

NTxC
  • NTxC

GTA V.

• Members

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 22:12)
free PSN

It's tempting.
Could you tell me what version of PS3 you got, and why that one?

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (NonToXIC @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 21:15)
QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 22:12)
free PSN

It's tempting.
Could you tell me what version of PS3 you got, and why that one?

They're pretty much all the same, besides hard-drive space. I have a PS3 Slim 320GB. You won't need a big hard drive if you're just getting it for V though, so you should be able to get a smaller hard drive console pretty cheap. I wouldn't get the super slim as from what I've read, they're unreliable.

Mockage
  • Mockage

First Breath After Coma

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:19 PM

I'd recommend the PS3 slim. It produces much less heat ((efficient: the original one tends to produce a lot)), more convenient if you're planning to store it in a spacious area (more smaller and slimmer of course) and hardware failure at most is rare according to most PS3 slim owners.

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

I would recommend the PS3 if you plan on playing multiplayer (I don't, btw) because PSN is free unlike Xbox Live.
Which version? PS3 Slim. Why? The original fat one has heat issues and Super slim is just garbage, don't even bother with it.

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

All depends what you're leaning more towards.

PS3 has free online and Blue ray, and I'm guessing will be at least 2 discs on Xbox which does not have Blue ray.

However, i firmly believe Xbox has a better online community, and judging by the release of GTA IV when Microsoft got all GTA DLC first, you might be in for more of the same with V. And you never know, they might release a cool, limited edition GTA V Xbox console like they done for MW3, Gears Of War 3, Halo and a few others. Which if they did would be a tasty little bragging right.

My advice would be wait and see what happens with V, if you are buying it solely for that.

NTxC
  • NTxC

GTA V.

• Members

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

Right now, I'm leaning towards the PlayStation 3 more. Possibly due to everyone recommending it to me.
Knowing myself, I wouldn't be able to sit straight until V is released to find out which console version is better indeed. Gotta get something while I have the money, gotta get familiar with it, etc.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the PS3. I like to play online sometimes, so free PSN does matter. But I've read PS3 has worse graphics - is it true? Especially with the experience of GTA IV - could you tell me about it?

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

This Monkeys Gone To Heaven

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

I would suggest ps3. That way you are guaranteed to not have to swap discs if that's on the 360. But there are other pros too like free online.

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:47 PM Edited by tms_junk, 23 May 2013 - 09:53 PM.

I own both consoles, but i am a bigger fan of Xbox. But I'd be the first to admit i always felt PS3 had better graphics. Maybe not by a huge margin, but certain games had beautiful lighting textures on PS3 and the games always looked crisper.

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

I'm an Xbox fan at heart, but PS3 offers more.

Free online (PSN), better games in the future, and the controller is small if you have small hands.

Crimson Flam3s
  • Crimson Flam3s

Live Free or Die Trying

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

PS3 of course, free online, blu ray, etc.. Btw why does everyone say xbox online is better? I play on my friends xbox all the time and theres nothing special about it or that the ps3 can't do, if anything, there are more annoying kids in there.

NTxC
  • NTxC

GTA V.

• Members

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

Looks like I'm getting a PS3. I'm going to justify that:

- I don't care about the DLC. I utterly hate the idea of any priced downloadable content for games.
- I look forward to play online. With an Xbox, I'd have to pay. It's cheaper this way.
- A blu-ray drive. Looking forward to playing some 3D movies too icon14.gif

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

In regards to graphics, YES, the PS3 version of GTA IV/RDR and MC LA had worse off graphics than the Xbox 360 version, but from Max Payne 3 onwards, Rockstar upgraded RAGE across all platforms, the PC version actually made use of PC hardware and the PS3 version was nowhere near as bad as GTA IV/RDR and MC LA. L.A.Noire was better on the PS3 to, but that's using a different engine.

Overall I would recommend the PS3 though, use this time to try out PSn titles such as Journey, Flower, The Unfinished Swan, etc.

And don't forget, the PSN is currently the only place with Rockstar Games back catalog via the PS2 Classics section, so games like Bully, Red Dead Revolver, the Warriors, Manhunt, the previous GTA titles, etc, are all available on here and ready to play on the PS3 when you buy them.

Mr.Mordecai
  • Mr.Mordecai

To be, or not to be. That is the question.

• Members

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (NonToXIC @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 14:28)

- I don't care about the DLC. I utterly hate the idea of any priced downloadable content for games.
- I look forward to play online. With an Xbox, I'd have to pay. It's cheaper this way.
- A blu-ray drive. Looking forward to playing some 3D movies too icon14.gif

Me, personally, I perfer Xbox, because of the fact of the online community. Are you going to be playing with your friends online? If so, get the system they have. Another factor is how much are you going to play online? If frequently, then the Xbox is worth the money, but if casually, then just splurge for the PS3. And GTA V MIGHT be 2 disc on xbox soo moto_whistle.gif

NTxC
  • NTxC

GTA V.

• Members

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (Mr.Mordecai @ Friday, May 24 2013, 00:09)

- A blu-ray drive. Looking forward to playing some 3D movies too  icon14.gif

Me, personally, I perfer Xbox, because of the fact of the online community. Are you going to be playing with your friends online? If so, get the system they have. Another factor is how much are you going to play online? If frequently, then the Xbox is worth the money, but if casually, then just splurge for the PS3. And GTA V MIGHT be 2 disc on xbox soo moto_whistle.gif

Honestly, majority of my friends got the PS3. And I figure I'm going to play online rather casually. It seems like it's the best choice for me. icon14.gif

Thanks for the help, guys. cookie.gif

PS. (lol pun) When I started this thread I was leaning towards the 360. moto_whistle.gif

Mr.Mordecai
  • Mr.Mordecai

To be, or not to be. That is the question.

• Members

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE (NonToXIC @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 15:18)
QUOTE (Mr.Mordecai @ Friday, May 24 2013, 00:09)

- A blu-ray drive. Looking forward to playing some 3D movies too  icon14.gif

Honestly, majority of my friends got the PS3. And I figure I'm going to play online rather casually. It seems like it's the best choice for me. icon14.gif

Thanks for the help, guys. cookie.gif

PS. (lol pun) When I started this thread I was leaning towards the 360. moto_whistle.gif

I mean, Xbox is a quality machine, and I'd go with that myself, but based on what you said, the PS seems to be the best for you.

Glad we could help. colgate.gif

Master of San Andreas
  • Master of San Andreas

Leaving with a big bang, you guys rock.

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

It depends on your choice really:

If you have the money and are a hardcore MP gamer go for the 360. If you are looking for quality exclusives go for the PS3.

The 360 is best for multiplayer though and most games sell better on the 360, the PS3 has Blue-Ray and other extras.

Plus the cost of games on the PS3 is more than that of the 360.

IMO I'd reccomend the PS3 simply because of the quality exclusives and free online.

agent17
  • agent17

Absolution

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

PS3 is the obvious choice, you really wouldn't want to for out extra money for online fees this late in the current console generation.

Or you could just be patient and wait for the PC release. (I wish I was patient)

IM_YOUR_GOD
  • IM_YOUR_GOD

Christian Zionist Rank 9

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

I WOULD DEFINITELY WAIT.

Time exclusive DLC could swing either way.

Microsoft loves to throw cash for exclusive.

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE (Ash_735 @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 22:43)
In regards to graphics, YES, the PS3 version of GTA IV/RDR and MC LA had worse off graphics than the Xbox 360 version, but from Max Payne 3 onwards, Rockstar upgraded RAGE across all platforms, the PC version actually made use of PC hardware and the PS3 version was nowhere near as bad as GTA IV/RDR and MC LA. L.A.Noire was better on the PS3 to, but that's using a different engine.

Overall I would recommend the PS3 though, use this time to try out PSn titles such as Journey, Flower, The Unfinished Swan, etc.

And don't forget, the PSN is currently the only place with Rockstar Games back catalog via the PS2 Classics section, so games like Bully, Red Dead Revolver, the Warriors, Manhunt, the previous GTA titles, etc, are all available on here and ready to play on the PS3 when you buy them.

Couldn't have said it better myself. As an owner of both Xbox 360 and PS3, I will nod towards the PS3.

NTxC
  • NTxC

GTA V.

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

So I bought a PS3 Slim 160GB. smile.gif I also preordered GTAV already.

Tally:

- PS3 Slim 160GB for $211,67 USD
- GTAV PS3 for $67,90 USD.

Thank you very much once again, hope it's going to be a good machine. icon14.gif

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

Though I currently have an XBox 360, I'd recommend going with the PS3. Not because I think GTA V will be better on the PS3, but because there are more interesting games in the pipeline for it than the XBox 360.

King Of Monra
  • King Of Monra

When someone close to you dies, move seats

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

If you're going to get a consol for just one game. I'd say neither.

eerik
  • eerik

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

Why did you buy it (the console) so early? I would have waited until E3 to see if Sony announces the price drop or not. The price drop is coming sooner or later, the question is if it's before or shortly after the launch of PS4.

nealmac
  • nealmac

Low lie, the fields of Anfield Road

• Members

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

I own both, and PS3 edges it for me. I'm not a big online gamer.

Could you not wait for the next gen consoles? If they have backward compatibility, you can play GTA 5.

Freakorama
  • Freakorama

Freako

• The Yardies
  • Australia

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (nealmac @ Saturday, May 25 2013, 21:05)
I own both, and PS3 edges it for me. I'm not a big online gamer.

Could you not wait for the next gen consoles? If they have backward compatibility, you can play GTA 5.

None of them do.

<Yang3
  • <Yang3

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:16 PM Edited by DODI3OG, 25 May 2013 - 06:52 PM.

If you're getting a PS3, send xXGayKillaXx or DODI3OG a PM.
The former was temp banned , so I suggest you send this account a PM instead.

skyfamster
  • skyfamster

Playa

• Members

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

either of them,

just make sure to buy a copy of RDR,an awesome freeworld game! rampage_ani.gif

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

Definetly get a PS3 slim. The older fat PS3's get YLOD (Yellow Light of Death) easier (mine did).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users