» «
Photo

Vikings

8 replies to this topic
TommyAngelo
  • TommyAngelo

figure

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:44 AM Edited by TommyAngelo, 23 May 2013 - 06:48 AM.

user posted image

Vikings is a Canadian-Irish historical drama television series, written and created by Michael Hirst for the television channel History. It premiered on March 3, 2013 in the United States and Canada.

Filmed in Ireland, Vikings is inspired by the tales about the Viking Ragnar Lodbrok, one of the best-known Norse heroes and notorious as the scourge of France and Britain. It portrays Ragnar as a Viking farmer who pioneers the first daring raids into Britain with the support of fellow warriors, his brother Rollo, and his wife, the shieldmaiden Lagertha.

On April 5, 2013, History renewed Vikings for a ten-episode second season.

Didn't see anything about this around the forum and to be honest this show definitely deserves its own topic. It has been compared to Game of Thrones and the first season has only recently finished(back on the 28th of april). Discuss away.

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

=VP=

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

Liked that show, cant wait for season 2. Its very different than GoT though. just because both shows are set in medieval times doesnt mean they're similar. sigh.gif

3niX
  • 3niX

Lazy idiot

• Members

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

Well...

Slight bump.

I just recently completed watching the first season and was thoroughly impressed. All the characters are very well developed, the setting is intriguing and the events have been built up in a very logical and captivating manner. I would definitely recommend watching this because it's by far one of the best series I've seen in a long time. I actually prefer it to GoT, which tends emphasize aesthetics a bit too much (to a point that it sometimes dectracts the narrative fllow).

Failure
  • Failure

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE (3niX @ Saturday, Jun 1 2013, 22:31)
Well...

Slight bump.

I just recently completed watching the first season and was thoroughly impressed. All the characters are very well developed, the setting is intriguing and the events have been built up in a very logical and captivating manner. I would definitely recommend watching this because it's by far one of the best series I've seen in a long time. I actually prefer it to GoT, which tends emphasize aesthetics a bit too much (to a point that it sometimes dectracts the narrative fllow).

I love ASOIAF, but GoT does seem to have a few too many additional scenes which seem a little superfluous to the plot, like you say.

I think I'll give this a watch after my exams--viking history and culture is interesting, and a lot of documentaries about the vikings don't focus enough on these things.

hobointheyard
  • hobointheyard

IV > V

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:24 PM

Love this show. Floki ftw tounge.gif

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

There seems to be quite a few Canadian-Irish stuff. The Tudors being one, which I was an extra in. Must post photos.

This seems like it could be good OK. icon14.gif

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

I dig the show a lot, but I totally lost it when Donal Logue showed up as f*cking King Horik.

I do, however, really appreciate how they mix in a lot of actual education of the Viking culture in the show without it being too 'documentary' or cheesy reenactment.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (Moonshield @ Thursday, Jun 6 2013, 16:01)
I do, however, really appreciate how they mix in a lot of actual education of the Viking culture in the show without it being too 'documentary' or cheesy reenactment.

This makes this show more enticing for me. icon14.gif

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• Members
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:58 AM Edited by GunWrath, 25 April 2014 - 09:00 AM.

Missed last night's episode but hopefully it's OnDemand by now.. it wasn't there about an hour ago. Now there's only 1 episode left :O

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users