Curious after playing GTA IV

6 replies to this topic
ChopTheDog.
  • ChopTheDog.

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:56 PM

Okay so I was playing GTA IV for about 30 minutes and I suddenly heard a bang inside the Laptop and now there's a piece loose.

I can hear it moving about when I shake it.

My Laptop still runs GTA IV smoohly without lag and works like nothing happened, although it gets quite hot when playing.

I'm wondering if I should just leave GTA or carry on as normal?

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:04 AM

Sounds like a radiator jumped out from the graphic card. It will, but the GPU may overheat without it. Playing futher may result in GPU damage coming from melting the tin.

ChopTheDog.
  • ChopTheDog.

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE (Tycek @ Wednesday, May 22 2013, 01:04)
Sounds like a radiator jumped out from the graphic card. It will, but the GPU may overheat without it. Playing futher may result in GPU damage coming from melting the tin.

Is it possible I could just buy cooling fan and use that?

I really don't fancy going inside and messing about with components.

I don't even know if this can be done.

Thanks for the reply, Tycek. icon14.gif

CCPD
  • CCPD

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:44 AM

Rapid overheating does sound broken cooling component. Continuous use without appropriate cooling can damage your laptop beyond repair. As Tycek said your laptop's inside will just melt. If by cooling fan you mean standard desk fan, then I doubt it will be much help. Cold air won't reach where it supposed to and it's just not practical. Unfortunately many "IT guys" will charge you just for opening your laptop. If it's out of warranty (you can't call free repair service) you can try carefully open your laptop to see what happened. Damage like you described would be visible to a naked eye. Then all you have to do is to replace damaged part. Easily said than done though, but GTAF is full of people who could help you with that.

ChopTheDog.
  • ChopTheDog.

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:14 AM Edited by The_Sorrow, 22 May 2013 - 10:46 PM.

Thankyou for the replies guys icon14.gif if anyone has more Ideas please feel free to tell me. icon14.gif

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Die Hoodrat DIE!!!

• Members

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:01 AM

i agree, if your warranty has expired. take the bottom of the laptop off and post some pictures. even if what's wrong isn't view-able by you, someone here will recognize any sort of heatsink damage quickly. this is the number one reason i say gamers shouldn't play gta IV/eflc on laptops for extended time periods.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:49 AM

That's why laptops are not made for gaming, not even gaminglaptops.
Laptops have too many restrictions and limits and the biggest problem is the heat.
I have a laptop too since 2009 and mostly used for games and I played GTAIV straight 4 hours.
After 2 years it got "tired" Dust builds up and it's impossible to open the underneath and remove the dust.
It's just too complex and difficult. Since this month I'll never buy any laptop, i moved on to PC.
A gaming pc is also a lot cheaper than a gaming laptop.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users