Photo

USA. What to do!

27 replies to this topic
King Of Monra
  • King Of Monra

When someone close to you dies, move seats

• Members

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:11 PM

So, I'll be going to the US with some friends in september.

We'll be going to new york. las vegas and around california, mostly san fransisco and los angeles.

What I want to know is, what should we see? (and don't say the empire state building) I'm talking about things that tourist don't tend to find. Restaurants, stores, parks, hot sh*t. And other things.

We have already bought the tickets.

Oh and when it comes to las vegas, we already know what we'll be doing there, on the strip.

2nd of september to 22nd. We'll be in the states for about 20 days.

We start in San fran
We will have our base there as well, we'll be using a rental car to get around. New york is the last stop.

TECHN9CiAN
  • TECHN9CiAN

may His darkness be your light

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:16 PM

Make a stop in one of my favorite steakhouse in California.

It's called Jocko's, it's located in a small town off the 101 freeway named Nipomo, it's directly north of another city called Santa Maria, which is where the most recent Michael Jackson child molestation court case was held... I was there visiting when that case was happening.

The downside is that it's always packed, and the wait is at least of 20 minutes, but for some people I've heard it could take an hour till you get served.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

This Monkeys Gone To Heaven

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:17 PM

Visit Santa Monica Pier!! It's really cool and if your lucky you will see one or two homeless schizophrenics. When I was there I saw 2. It's quite interesting and not scary at all for some reason lol.

But seriously Santa Monica was cool. And I would recommend Hollywood blvd as well.

King Of Monra
  • King Of Monra

• Members

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:03 AM

I checked Jocko's on yelp, had a lot of great reviews. Looks very good. 20 minutes is a while but I guess we can make reservations the day before?

I know one of my friends will be wanting to check the beaches and probably santa monica too. =)

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:10 AM Edited by Raavi, 22 May 2013 - 12:26 AM.

I can recommend you some hotels, if that helps anything.

New York: The Peninsula, great hotel, I always go there when I have business in New York. But since you're going for holiday i'd recommend the Trump International Hotel, been there quite a few times now and the views alone never seize to amaze me. You're right across the street from central park and next to columbus circle.

Los Angeles: With the four seasons, the Omni or the W-Hollywood you can never go wrong. And if you love fine wining an dining and budget isn't an issue Providence is also a must-go.

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:25 AM Edited by Sgt. Foley, 22 May 2013 - 12:31 AM.

New York huh?

Which part? In the city? If you are, there's a great place called Jackson Hole. I urge you to go there. Check out locations and their website here: http://www.jacksonho...com/default.htm

Amazing burgers, their chicken is great too!

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:03 AM

In San Francisco, take a tour of the bay! I don't believe it's that expensive, you go along the coast where the Palace of Fine Arts and the Presidio are, you go under the Golden Gtae Bridge and around Alcatraz, all with amazing San Fran skyline views. You also have the chance of seeing dolphins or whales. It's amazing out there.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE (King Of Monra @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 19:11)
Oh and when it comes to las vegas, we already know what we'll be doing there, on the strip.

Well that is pretty much all to do there anyway. tounge2.gif Beat ass town.

September is a nice time to be here on the east coast. I don't really have anything to add other then "enjoy stuff".

King Of Monra
  • King Of Monra

• Members

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

I'm writing everything down. Appriciate the help guys (and maybe girls) smile.gif

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:39 PM Edited by Erebos, 22 May 2013 - 09:43 PM.

Since you're going to the LA area, go to Lucille's Smokehouse Bar-B-Que, I went the other day to the one in Cerritos, it was my first time there, and wow. Really great food. It's really cool, they serve you your drinks in jars thAt look similar to the ones they store jelly in. It's a good vide in the restaurant. biggrin.gif

King Of Monra
  • King Of Monra

• Members

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE (Erebos @ Wednesday, May 22 2013, 21:39)
Since you're going to the LA area, go to Lucille's Smokehouse Bar-B-Que, I went the other day to the one in Cerritos, it was my first time there, and wow. Really great food. It's really cool, they serve you your drinks in jars thAt look similar to the ones they store jelly in. It's a good vide in the restaurant. biggrin.gif

Sounds great.
Everything is so cheap in the US, specially food (for us Norwegians it is ). So I'll be eating anything I can get my hands on (well almost anything, I wont eat mcdonalds)

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (King Of Monra @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 14:06)
Since you're going to the LA area, go to Lucille's Smokehouse Bar-B-Que, I went the other day to the one in Cerritos, it was my first time there, and wow. Really great food. It's really cool, they serve you your drinks in jars thAt look similar to the ones they store jelly in. It's a good vide in the restaurant.  biggrin.gif

Sounds great.
Everything is so cheap in the US, specially food (for us Norwegians it is ). So I'll be eating anything I can get my hands on (well almost anything, I wont eat mcdonalds)

Cheap? go to New York then...

Btw, since you're getting a car, something I've heard is taken very strictly in the USA is the speed limit.

Enjoy the trip, in any case smile.gif

King Of Monra
  • King Of Monra

• Members

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE (RoadRunner71 @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 14:14)
Since you're going to the LA area, go to Lucille's Smokehouse Bar-B-Que, I went the other day to the one in Cerritos, it was my first time there, and wow. Really great food. It's really cool, they serve you your drinks in jars thAt look similar to the ones they store jelly in. It's a good vide in the restaurant.  biggrin.gif

Sounds great.

Btw, since you're getting a car, something I've heard is taken very strictly in the USA is the speed limit.

Still cheap. And we are going to New York as well wink.gif .

There are only 2 or 3 countries more expensive than Norway. (or so I've heard)

I hope we will manage to stay on the limit =) Thank you =)

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (King Of Monra @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 10:21)

Sounds great.

Did you happen to check out my recommendation?

King Of Monra
  • King Of Monra

• Members

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (Sgt. Foley @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 19:13)
QUOTE (King Of Monra @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 10:21)

Sounds great.

Did you happen to check out my recommendation?

Oh sorry, well we are planning on renting an apartment there. And I'm willing to try any of the restaurants and food places anyone mentiones. (except for the likes of mcdonalds and stuff like that)

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:30 AM

New York doesn't have all that much to do that's going to be any different from any other major city. You really ought to get up on a skyscraper to really appreciate how vast that city is. I would recommend skipping Empire State and going to the top of Rockefeller Plaza instead. Grab the tickets in advance - they have time stamped on them. Then come back later and go to the top. You spend a lot less time in lines this way and way less than you would for Empire State for (in my opinion) a better view. The Central Park will be like on the palm of your hand.

Other than that, though, not much to do specifically in New York. You can find anything there, but nothing that's special to just New York. Boston and Phily are a short train ride or a plane hop away, though. If you rent a car, you can just drive to either of these. Plenty of places to see in these cities that you won't see anywhere else. Boston is also fantastic for food. There is a small Bistro on Summer Street, over by the South Station called Les Zygomates. Best food I found this side of the Atlantic. It's a bit pricey by US standards, but quite reasonable by European.

In Phily, I'd check out The City Tavern. It's a bit touristey, but not so much that it'd bother you. There is also plenty to see by just getting lost in the older parts of the city. Even if all you can cut out is a day, you'd be glad to spend it there.

West Coast is a lot more activity-oriented. There isn't as much to see, but there is lots to do. And even best places to see involve some driving and hiking. Try to look for things outside of the cities. You should be stone's throw away from Death Valley. Absolutely beautiful places there. Some tourists, but only the more persistent ones that you wouldn't mind, honestly.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:36 AM

QUOTE (K^2 @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 21:30)
In Phily, I'd check out The City Tavern. It's a bit touristey, but not so much that it'd bother you. There is also plenty to see by just getting lost in the older parts of the city. Even if all you can cut out is a day, you'd be glad to spend it there.

And don't forget to stop by trip's house for a beer. tounge2.gif

Oddsock
  • Oddsock

Fresh and strong the world we seize

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

Muir Woods just outside of San Francisco. It's one of the locations of the lovely Redwood trees.

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

I Love Pony Farming

• Members

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE (trip @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 20:36)

And don't forget to stop by trip's house for a beer*. tounge2.gif

* must bring own beer

Original Light
  • Original Light

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:51 AM

I suggest that on the 17th of September, you head to the nearest Gamestop or videogame store and pick up GTA V, and play the hell out of it for the remainder of your stay.

Don't forget to bring your Xbox or Playstation with you, no need to buy another one while up here.

Other than that, taste test every pizza place in the city.

Mcquiz
  • Mcquiz

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:48 AM

QUOTE (Original Light @ Saturday, May 25 2013, 01:51)
I suggest that on the 17th of September, you head to the nearest Gamestop or videogame store and pick up GTA V, and play the hell out of it for the remainder of your stay.

Don't forget to bring your Xbox or Playstation with you, no need to buy another one while up here.

He does have a point there. GTA V will be a lot cheaper if you buy it in the US.
In New York you might want to visit Roosevelt island(Colony island in GTA IV) looks interesting.

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE (King Of Monra @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 18:11)
We start in San fran
We will have our base there as well, we'll be using a rental car to get around. New york is the last stop.

You're driving cross country from California to New York? Or will that be a seperate flight?

King Of Monra
  • King Of Monra

• Members

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (top gear @ Saturday, May 25 2013, 06:48)
QUOTE (Original Light @ Saturday, May 25 2013, 01:51)

He does have a point there. GTA V will be a lot cheaper if you buy it in the US.
In New York you might want to visit Roosevelt island(Colony island in GTA IV) looks interesting.

If I do buy it in the US I wont be able to play it back in Norway.

You're driving cross country from California to New York? Or will that be a seperate flight?
Seperate flight

King Of Monra
  • King Of Monra

• Members

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE (Spaghetti Cat @ Saturday, May 25 2013, 01:12)
QUOTE (trip @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 20:36)

And don't forget to stop by trip's house for a beer*. tounge2.gif

* must bring own beer

4 random people might come and knock on your door. moto_whistle.gif

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

The Rockerfeller Centre is much more interesting than the ESB imo, and it has the most spectacular view of the ESB

user posted image

I'd also recommend eating in Katz's deli on East Houston street. They have the best pastrami in the world.

user posted image

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:20 AM

QUOTE (King Of Monra @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 18:11)
We'll be going to.... los angeles. New york is the last stop.

I'm not sure what type of person you are and what you enjoy, but if you plan ahead you can get tickets to view a television show being taped, or a late-night show in either city. It's usually free. The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson usually puts international visitors on camera, while Craig interrogates you for fun.

MIKON8ERISBACK
  • MIKON8ERISBACK

My real name is Michael. #FACT.

• Members

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:33 PM

When your in New York City, you gotta go to the Observation Deck of the Empire State Building at night, absolutely priceless. I was there from May 1-5th on a class trip and got to see and experience many things, including Times Square at night (every night), Top of the Rock, Chinatown, et cetera. Top of the Rock and the new One World Trade Center and 9/11 Memorial would be my other recommendations.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:10 AM

The Empire State at night and the Top of the Rock at dusk. If I had to choose between these two I'd take the Top of the Rock; it's not as crowded as the Empire and has a nice observatory with awesome sights. And, again, I recommend to visit it at dusk smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users