Quantcast

» «
Photo

Xbox One revealed

1,015 replies to this topic

Poll: Whatcha gonna get? (518 member(s) have cast votes)

Whatcha gonna get?

1. Xbox One (74 votes [15.55%])

Percentage of vote: 15.55%

2. PS4 (298 votes [62.61%])

Percentage of vote: 62.61%

3. Both! (21 votes [4.41%])

Percentage of vote: 4.41%

4. PC, bitch (83 votes [17.44%])

Percentage of vote: 17.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote
nigelhere9901
  • nigelhere9901

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (Masterfocker @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 10:21)
QUOTE (Num3rical @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 07:40)
QUOTE (Limit Break @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 07:13)
QUOTE (sal7252 @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 06:44)
QUOTE (Sirpepperoni @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 06:38)
Ps4 all the way, DDR5 ram where as xone only has ddr3 icon13.gif

DDR3 on Xbox is actually better than GDDR5 on PS.

Uhm, no it's not. I'm pretty sure GDDR5 is faster than DDR3

Yeah, it is. People who say DDR3 is better don't know what they're talking about. Probably fanboys too.

I heard DDR5 is faster, but with way more latency. Don't know if true or not, too lazy to Google

There is NO SUCH THING as DDR5.

GDDR =/= DDR.

And yes GDDR5 is a LOT faster than DDR3.

GDDR5 is specifically made for GPUs with higher bandwidth and higher latencies.

dro0001
  • dro0001

Fo Shizzle

• Members

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE (JKMoneyShizzle @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 03:06)
QUOTE (dro0001 @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 03:01)
Im getting the xbox one because i cant stand the playstation controller

Watch out everyone cool guy over here

Why don't you try and post something constructive, noob.

meson1
  • meson1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

Oh for goodness sake. The difference between DDR3 and GDDR5.

DDR3 has a lower latency. That means the time taken from receiving a read or write request to it being fulfilled is much shorter (i.e. faster) than GDDR5.

But GDDR5 has what is effectively a better transfer rate. So once you're past the latency, GDDR5 will transfer contiguously stored blocks of data faster.

That makes DDR3 good for lots of short little reads and writes and why it tends to be used for general system memory.

But if you're reading and writing larger blocks of memory, GDDR5 is faster overall. That's why it's suitable for graphics because you're shifting around big lumps of data such as textures and what have you.

Furthermore, putting it somewhat simplistically, DDR3 cannot handle read requests and write requests simultaneously; GDDR5 can.

So XB1 will have an advantage in speed when it uses it's DDR3 as system memory. The PS4 will have an advantage on the graphics side.

It's swings and roundabouts. It remains to be seen which platform has the advantage when it comes to gaming applications. And even then it could vary from game to game.

Sean5
  • Sean5

Erin go Braugh

• Members

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

How to get a giggle? Watch the console fanboys on this thread go on about hardware. It's pretty damn funny.
Two funniest things I've seen so far are
"8GB of RAM is not enough for a gaming machine"
and
"DDR3 on Xbox is actually better than GDDR5 on PS."
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

YoungChrist
  • YoungChrist

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:18 AM

QUOTE (meson1 @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 17:04)
Oh for goodness sake. The difference between DDR3 and GDDR5.

DDR3 has a lower latency. That means the time taken from receiving a read or write request to it being fulfilled is much shorter (i.e. faster) than GDDR5.

But GDDR5 has what is effectively a better transfer rate. So once you're past the latency, GDDR5 will transfer contiguously stored blocks of data faster.

That makes DDR3 good for lots of short little reads and writes and why it tends to be used for general system memory.

But if you're reading and writing larger blocks of memory, GDDR5 is faster overall. That's why it's suitable for graphics because you're shifting around big lumps of data such as textures and what have you.

Furthermore, putting it somewhat simplistically, DDR3 cannot handle read requests and write requests simultaneously; GDDR5 can.

So XB1 will have an advantage in speed when it uses it's DDR3 as system memory. The PS4 will have an advantage on the graphics side.

It's swings and roundabouts. It remains to be seen which platform has the advantage when it comes to gaming applications. And even then it could vary from game to game.

That makes sense as a reasonable amount of memory will probably be used to maintain the dashboard running in the background that the claim that can be switched to at any time.

douggoud
  • douggoud

Peacemaker

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:36 AM

This thread came to a complete halt once the Special and Collectors editions were announced for V, I don't know why I find this funny (it was inevitable anyways on a forum that people are waiting for said game). lol.gif

Hilldog39
  • Hilldog39

The Beast

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:45 AM

"dedicated servers for every multiplayer game rather than the notoriously fragile practice of hosting matches on one participant’s console; even multiplayer matches that can grow to 64, even 128 participants, rather than the usual limit of 16 or 32."

http://www.wired.com...13/05/xbox-one/

Imagine if GTA V came out on next gen with 64-128 players in free roam, that would be awesome.

PlaystationGamer266
  • PlaystationGamer266

Playa

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:17 AM

PS4 is just to good cool.gif

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

I'm Offended By This Username

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:23 AM

Now that's a lot of PS4 support. Sony better be looking at all these things people are saying. They are going to be rolling in dough come Next Gen.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:27 AM

I honestly cannot fathom why anyone would support a system that lets a company screw them over. Blocking used games and required internet are BAD. I do not give a single sh*t about what apologists say, if this ever becomes a trend, I'm quitting modern gaming and staying retro.

manny_calavera
  • manny_calavera

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:42 AM

I agree with what someone said before, if companies like EA are dropping their online pass is because they know BOTH consoles are somehow enforcing these non used games policies. In the end, it's them, the publishers that want this and if Sony doesn't implement it then they risk publishers favouring XBox because they would get a bigger profit in that system.

In the other hand, if they eliminate the used game market and they sell more games this way, they could lower the prices of new games. That is if they are not too greedy (which is a big "if").

Khaos_Kiwi
  • Khaos_Kiwi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

QUOTE (manny_calavera @ Friday, May 24 2013, 05:42)
I agree with what someone said before, if companies like EA are dropping their online pass is because they know BOTH consoles are somehow enforcing these non used games policies. In the end, it's them, the publishers that want this and if Sony doesn't implement it then they risk publishers favouring XBox because they would get a bigger profit in that system.

In the other hand, if they eliminate the used game market and they sell more games this way, they could lower the prices of new games. That is if they are not too greedy (which is a big "if").

But there is no way the price of a new game would lower if used games were eliminated. That's the whole reason why Microsoft want this used-game fee, to make more money!!

GunSmith118
  • GunSmith118

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

Why is this in the GTAV discussion forum?

Happyness
  • Happyness

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:36 AM

QUOTE (GunSmith118 @ Friday, May 24 2013, 10:21)

It doesn't matter! This section is the most visited by people, some 40% don't even check other topics. (That percentage is totally made up, may be true though) Mods seen it, didn't lock it, stop asking. :|

Los Santos.
  • Los Santos.

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

Neither.

JBanton
  • JBanton

Mr. Nice-Guy...

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

XBox One looks like a fail so far.

Thank goodness I'm a Sony man.

littleBIGman
  • littleBIGman

Rat

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

Update - MS have released new images of the Xbox Gone... i mean One!

Front-

user posted image

Rear -

user posted image

manny_calavera
  • manny_calavera

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (Khaos_Kiwi @ Friday, May 24 2013, 07:31)
QUOTE (manny_calavera @ Friday, May 24 2013, 05:42)

But there is no way the price of a new game would lower if used games were eliminated. That's the whole reason why Microsoft want this used-game fee, to make more money!!

Of course they want to make more money, but perhaps a better strategy is to sell cheaper so you sell more units, specially since you don't have a used-games market to compete against.

If MS managed to sell XBox games cheaper than PS, they would have won an important battle.

UrbanTheEmcee
  • UrbanTheEmcee

I'm that bada** n*gga yo moms warned you about.

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

Looks like the PS4 may re-capture the glory days of the PS2.
The PS2 is the greatest console ever made. I know PS3 fanboys think it's the sh*t, but the 360 is right there with it.
All that is about to change. It's going to be 3:1 Sony, like it was in the Xbox VS PS2 days.

Unless Microsoft scraps all this sh*t they're talking about, and show some really good games for there cable box, Sony is going to runaway with this Generation.

AerialRocket
  • AerialRocket

The one they fear

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (Happyness @ Friday, May 24 2013, 07:36)
QUOTE (GunSmith118 @ Friday, May 24 2013, 10:21)

It doesn't matter! This section is the most visited by people, some 40% don't even check other topics. (That percentage is totally made up, may be true though) Mods seen it, didn't lock it, stop asking. :|

But the fact remains this is the GTA V area

HoboDealer
  • HoboDealer

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE (UrbanTheEmcee @ Friday, May 24 2013, 14:01)
Looks like the PS4 may re-capture the glory days of the PS2.
The PS2 is the greatest console ever made. I know PS3 fanboys think it's the sh*t, but the 360 is right there with it.
All that is about to change. It's going to be 3:1 Sony, like it was in the Xbox VS PS2 days.

Unless Microsoft scraps all this sh*t they're talking about, and show some really good games for there cable box, Sony is going to runaway with this Generation.

This. I loved my PS2, then I switched to the 360 in the next generation but I am 100% switching back to Sony this generation.

I haven't spoke to one person yet who said they're considering buying an Xbox One, and that's a lot of people! They're not even making a games console, they're making some crappy tv, social hub!

Sony has won already in my opinion

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

Wow that thing looks like my old VCR. At least It'll stack easy... But they could've at least added a racing stripe or something.

meson1
  • meson1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

More on the used game thing:

QUOTE ("Digital Spy Article")
Xbox One's used games process has been unveiled in a new report.

Sources from key retailers have told MCV that they must agree with Microsoft's terms and conditions and use a new pre-owned system in order to re-sell games.

Games traded into a store will be entered into the system, wiping it from the consumer's account, which is reportedly why Xbox One consoles must connect to the internet every 24 hours.

While the retailer can then sell the game at a price of their choosing, the publisher and Microsoft will take a percentage of the second-hand sale.

A further report by ConsoleDeals suggests the cut for retailers would be as low as 10%, as opposed to profiting from the entire sale in the existing unregulated system.

Those who wish to use a second-hand game outside the system - like borrowing a game from a friend - will be charged a fee of £35, added the source.

"We know there is some confusion around used games on Xbox One and wanted to provide a bit of clarification on exactly what we've confirmed," read a comment by Microsoft to the story.

"While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail.

"Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios. Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend's house – should you choose to play your game at your friend's house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile."

An early report said that there will be a fee to play used games, but Microsoft has since said that polices are yet to be set in stone.

Link: http://www.digitalsp...game-sales.html

Asian_Ninja1
  • Asian_Ninja1

"Let's Bounce" - Jimmy

• Members

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:12 AM

I had to Bump this thread because so many people were complaining that Used Games will have a fee, now it does not.
http://www.engadget....-always-online/

josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:16 AM Edited by josephene123, 07 June 2013 - 01:22 AM.

QUOTE (Asian_Ninja1 @ Friday, Jun 7 2013, 01:12)
I had to Bump this thread because so many people were complaining that Used Games will have a fee, now it does not.

Unfortunately it seems now futile to hope the publishers won't force this bullsh*t on us any way. Its too late now. It'll most likely be the same on PS4, too.

They're also keeping on track with the "connect every 24 hours" thing. It is just unacceptable after you've paid 300$ + to not let you play single player games just because your wi fi is down or something like that

Durden
  • Durden

The annoying voice in your head

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:22 AM

QUOTE (Asian_Ninja1 @ Thursday, Jun 6 2013, 21:12)

Friends cannot simply borrow one of your X1 games. They can only receive it as a gift, and the rights to that game die with them. So, yeah, that's still an issue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users