18 y/o faces prison for relationship with 15 y/o

47 replies to this topic
Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Zaibatsu
  • Vatican-City

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:02 AM

Southern homophobia or just the 'wrong' law?

I just came across this article.

"A Florida teenager faces criminal charges stemming from her relationship with another young female student.

Kaitlyn Hunt, 18, faces two felony counts of "lewd and lascivious battery on a child 12 to 16" after the parents of her 15-year-old girlfriend pressed charges earlier this year"

http://www.huffingto..._n_3302713.html

I personally think the whole 'being 18 makes you an adult' argument is bullsh*t. I know from personal experience that I felt the exact same, ages 16-19. Now they were both young and if it was consensual neither of them should be in trouble let alone face a possible 15 year sentence and have to register as a sex offender. Unfortunately they thought it was a marvelous idea to prosecute people the same whether they were a day over 18 or 50 years over that age. I feel there should be 'gradations' if you will, in the law that prevent these horrible cases.

What's your opinion on this, should she be sentenced or should they drop the charges. And maybe even more importantly is the law 'wrong' / is the age of consent wrong. And is an 18 year old really and adult?

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

AMF Associate

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:22 AM Edited by gtamann123, 21 May 2013 - 01:29 AM.

user posted image

Seriously though. Age of constant laws are really stupid most of the time but it's your responsibility to know the law. Pretty much every 18 year old guy I know is aware that any girl under 16 is off limits (in my state) and the only ones who dont are mentally ill anyways and seemingly cant tell the differemce between ages. You should know which age is off limits on your state. So I really have no pity for this girl. The only thing I don't like is when it's like an 18 year old and someone who is two days away from their 18th birthday and they get prosecuted for it. But this one is a 3 year age difference.

Trinette
  • Trinette

lean on me. so you wont. stray your neck.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:30 AM

Really screwed up that it merits two felony charges. whatsthat.gif

This honestly should be dropped or at least bring the punishment down to a definite minimum. The age of consent here where I live is 16 and I think it's perfectly fine the way it is. When I seen cases here though where that law was broken it wasn't THIS bad. I'm not fully sure how the south works here in the US but it really is over the edge in my opinion. A prison term? Really?

As for 18 year old's being adults---I agree with it for the most part. I mean, you're still technically a teen but by then you should have the mindset and maturity of an adult and be able to realize what you have to face in the world and deal with the consequences, but this 18 year old girl is definitely not getting any fairness out of this and shouldn't face a spell in prison. ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:12 AM

I'm almost 19 and I've felt the same since I was about 15-16.

That reminds me, gotta keep my hands off this 15 y.o (turning 16) until she's actually 16 (but she looks 20 so like, #YOLO)

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

Just A Stupid Kid.

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:19 AM

Age of consent laws are only around to make your country seem humane, but the truth is if there never were any consent laws to hold up to, there wouldn't have ever been a "humanity" to live up to.

Valenta
  • Valenta

True hope is swift.

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:24 AM

If anything, it's the younger girl's parents that should be charged for going against a court of law.
They were relentless.

Despite the Sebastian River High School administration's denial of their request, and a judge's order allowing Kaitlyn to remain in school (so long as the girls had no contact), the 15-year-old's parents successfully petitioned the school board to have Hunt removed from school weeks prior to graduation.

Like gtamann123 said, there are limits, but 15 years in prison is a bit heavy handed for something like this.

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

Nate is Love, Nate is Life

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:33 AM

Oh my god, a 3 year difference. How scary. I don't understand, 15 and 18 year olds are practically on the same level of puberty. Who cares if they date, this is a free country. Now maybe a 13 year old dating a 22 year old is too much, but 3 years? Really?

DE4TH
  • DE4TH

Go big or go home

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:49 AM

Florida is known for extremely strict laws regarding underage sex. Like for example, if you're 18 and your gf is 16 and she sends nude pics you can get 5 years for EACH pic.
Anyway I think Sweden's age of consent is very fair. When you turn 15, you're allowed to have sex with anyone that is 15 and older and there's no upper age limit.

Mr.Mordecai
  • Mr.Mordecai

To be, or not to be. That is the question.

• Members

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:12 AM

Ahh, no wonder why the girl i like won't date me (She's 18, I'm 15) sigh.gif

On a serious note, I feel that the age of consent should be 15, because of this argument.

Joe Chip
  • Joe Chip

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:27 AM

I brought it up in a conversation with someone a few days ago, but in some states those kinds of relationships are legal (or at least defend-able) if there is a 3 or 5 year age difference (I don't remember which).

You also have to remember that age isn't what matters in these sorts of things. It's whether the older partner is taking advantage of the younger partner. It doesn't sound like that's the case here, but it does happen sometimes.

Melchior
  • Melchior

come on and tell me twice

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Nations

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:38 AM Edited by Melchior, 21 May 2013 - 03:46 AM.

QUOTE (gtamann123 @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 11:22)
user posted image

Seriously though. Age of constant laws are really stupid most of the time but it's your responsibility to know the law. Pretty much every 18 year old guy I know is aware that any girl under 16 is off limits (in my state) and the only ones who dont are mentally ill anyways and seemingly cant tell the differemce between ages. You should know which age is off limits on your state. So I really have no pity for this girl. The only thing I don't like is when it's like an 18 year old and someone who is two days away from their 18th birthday and they get prosecuted for it. But this one is a 3 year age difference.

Wait, what? What would you have her do, stay away from this- potentially very mature- girl because technically she's bellow the age of consent?

Most places have close-in-age exemptions. Even they don't have them de jure, then prosecuting people for cases like this is simply not practised. This is a very strange case if it can't just be dismissed as homopohbia.

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:08 AM

So... Should it be okay for an 18 year old male to date a 15 year old female? If not, why should it be okay if it's a same-sex relationship?

Melchior
  • Melchior

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Nations

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:11 AM

QUOTE (SagaciousKJB @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 14:08)
So... Should it be okay for an 18 year old male to date a 15 year old female?

Of course.

Rudy
  • Rudy

Mack Pimp

• Zaibatsu
  • France

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:33 AM

They should atleast be happy that she didn't get herself pregnant after dating some LONG dicked c*nt.

Aside from the legal point of view, getting the girl thrown out of school is definitely a dick-ish move.

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Just a dose of metal everyday

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:10 AM

Does this exist in countries alike? I mean seriously age difference when it comes to teenagers having same-sex relationships, what? I can't tell the difference.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:18 AM

This is unbelievably stupid. The parents are obviously homophobic.
It's okay for a 12 year old to date a 15 year old, it's okay for an 18 year old to date a 110 year old, but a 15 year old and an 18 year old can't date.
I understand there needs to be some sort of line, but this is just dumb.
Logic suicidal.gif

Linc.
  • Linc.

Seeking and Destroying since 1997...

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE (ExtremeLimitations @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 16:10)
Does this exist in countries alike? I mean seriously age difference when it comes to teenagers having same-sex relationships, what? I can't tell the difference.

The sexuality of the two 'victims' should be redundant in this case, however due to stereotypical southerners it's possible that there's a certain degree of bias involved in the situation.

ForretressLover
  • ForretressLover

Yes, Im a girl. Deal with it! ;)

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:18 AM

I don't understand this. Every teen has sex with other teens, 14 to 19 and whatever, its part of growing up! I bet loads of people posting here have had sex with 15 year olds (I have, for example) in thir TEEN YEARS. And 15 years jailtime?!?!?! Jesus!!

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

Honestly Age of Consent laws are screwy, If anything that age where it is illegal to engage in sexual sh*t with someone younger than you, Should be like 24 or something. An 18 y/o and a 15 y/o going at it shouldn't cost anyone ANY amount of jailtime. As long as they were safe and nobody got hurt or infected, They should be left alone.

Melchior
  • Melchior

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Nations

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:57 AM

QUOTE (lzw3 @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 16:38)
QUOTE (ExtremeLimitations @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 16:10)

The sexuality of the two 'victims' should be redundant in this case, however due to stereotypical southerners it's possible that there's a certain degree of bias involved in the situation.

It's obviously a case of selective enforcement. Were I to date a 16 year old (one of my friends does) and their parents complained to the police they'd be laughed out. But in this case it seems the magistrate believes the older girl has corrupted the younger one and turned her gay.

Secura
  • Secura

Var

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

The truth is that no sane person truly believes that this law's right, it simply doesn't fit the more modern view of society where age doesn't always equal maturity, in fact I've seen a number of examples that prove this view to be very, very true.

The fact of the matter is it doesn't matter what sex the person is, nor what age as long as they themselves feel ready for sexual relationships. Not only that but the United States' age of consent is far too old already in my opinion, most kids are doing it by the age of sixteen or fifteen anyway and there's really no way for them not to informed about sex in this day and age since it's literally everywhere from the TV to the Internet to the marketing and daily lives and relationships of those around them.

Simply put, there's not a single reason why this girl should be being accused of committing not just one, but two felonies as it's quite possibly one of the stupidest examples of laws gone wrong I've seen in a long while. Seriously, why would anyone charge anyone as not only a criminal but as a sex offender just for being with someone that they cared for and love? Obviously there are boundaries to this law like a fifty-year-old man wanting to date a nine-year-old girl but you get the point I'm making here and in this specific situation I really can't see what all the fuss is about.

Melchior
  • Melchior

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Nations

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

^ At the federal level, the US doesn't have an age of consent. Only eleven states have it at eighteen and most have de jure close-in-age exceptions.

Devyl
  • Devyl

Wait; I have a .GIF for that.

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

user posted image

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE (gtamann123 @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 02:22)
Pretty much every 18 year old guy I know is aware that any girl under 16 is off limits (in my state) and the only ones who dont are mentally ill anyways and seemingly cant tell the differemce between ages.

IS IT LONELY UP THERE ON YOUR HIGH HORSE

MinnieMan121249
  • MinnieMan121249

Carbon based Buffoon!!

• The Yardies

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE (Mr.Mordecai @ Monday, May 20 2013, 22:12)
Ahh, no wonder why the girl i like won't date me (She's 18, I'm 15) sigh.gif

On a serious note, I feel that the age of consent should be 15, because of this argument.

No it shouldn't. See you're only 15, you think you know sh*t.

Gilligan
  • Gilligan

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE (Mr.Mordecai @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 03:12)

If the age of consent was changed to 15 there'd then be arguments about it being lowered to 14. At the age of 16 you become a young adult and are traditionally meant to fend for yourself. 16 is a good age of consent.

Melchior
  • Melchior

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Nations

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:30 AM Edited by Melchior, 21 May 2013 - 09:33 AM.

QUOTE (MinnieMan121249 @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 19:21)

Why not? In a lot of the world, 15 is the age of consent and in most places where it isn't, there's a close-in-age exception that applies when the partner is five years older. Florida is apparently one of the few places where it's illegal for an eighteen year old and fifteen year old to have sex.

QUOTE (Prominent Fate)
If the age of consent was changed to 15 there'd then be arguments about it being lowered to 14.

Slippery slope fallacy. Note that this hasn't happened in almost all of Western Europe, where the age of consent is uniformly less than 16.

MinnieMan121249
  • MinnieMan121249

Carbon based Buffoon!!

• The Yardies

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (Melchior @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 04:30)
QUOTE (MinnieMan121249 @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 19:21)

Why not? In a lot of the world, 15 is the age of consent and in most places where it isn't, there's a close-in-age exception that applies when the partner is five years older. Florida is apparently one of the few places where it's illegal for an eighteen year old and fifteen year old to have sex.

QUOTE (Prominent Fate)
If the age of consent was changed to 15 there'd then be arguments about it being lowered to 14.

Slippery slope fallacy. Note that this hasn't happened in almost all of Western Europe, where the age of consent is uniformly less than 16.

Two words: "It's America" where nothing is enough, everyone's a threat and 15 year olds f*cking adults is super f*cking important.
gah... who the f*ck cares anymore.

Gilligan
  • Gilligan

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (Melchior @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 09:30)
QUOTE (Prominent Fate)

That's because it's not recently been argued on and changed because of the arguments. If arguments are given into and changes are made in this case, more arguments will arise in regards to lowering the age of consent even more.

Melchior
  • Melchior

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Nations

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (Prominent Fate @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 19:56)
QUOTE (Melchior @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 09:30)
QUOTE (Prominent Fate)

That's because it's not recently been argued on and changed because of the arguments. If arguments are given into and changes are made in this case, more arguments will arise in regards to lowering the age of consent even more.

Again, slippery slope fallacy. It's akin to approaching a man feeding ducks at the park and saying "oh sure, give that duck a peace of bread, but soon you'll end up giving him everything you own and living in a box while he lives it up in your house, playing xbox and eating nachos, despite being a duck."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users