Assassin's Creed Movie

111 replies to this topic
The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:31 PM

I mean the budget is 125 million. I would start at the creative-end first, writers, directors and then work out production cost/talent. I understand talent sells films and they have plenty of big names like Fassbender and Jeremy Irons but it seems like they did it the other way around. It's like they (and I say they, like I know who it is) tried skimming on the writer/director.

I think that's exactly what they did. Which implies that they don't have any confidence in their own brand. That's sad. When you're confident in your brand you know that you can hire unknown actors, and maybe turn them into future stars. That allows you to focus on screenplay and directing. Kind of like casting all those new actors in The Force Awakens. I realize that Assassin's Creed is nowhere near as famous as Star Wars of course, but it's famous enough that they could have gotten away with casting someone we've never even heard of before.

• Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Pink.Inc

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:46 PM

I mean the budget is 125 million. I would start at the creative-end first, writers, directors and then work out production cost/talent. I understand talent sells films and they have plenty of big names like Fassbender and Jeremy Irons but it seems like they did it the other way around. It's like they (and I say they, like I know who it is) tried skimming on the writer/director.

I think that's exactly what they did. Which implies that they don't have any confidence in their own brand. That's sad. When you're confident in your brand you know that you can hire unknown actors, and maybe turn them into future stars. That allows you to focus on screenplay and directing. Kind of like casting all those new actors in The Force Awakens. I realize that Assassin's Creed is nowhere near as famous as Star Wars of course, but it's famous enough that they could have gotten away with casting someone we've never even heard of before.

Yeah man, good point. I didn't realise they cast a bunch of new/rising stars in the Force Awakens. The new Star Wars films are something I'm going to try watch over Christmas.

JZFB
  • JZFB

I'm the James Bardolph of GTAF smd

• The Yakuza
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:04 PM

Can be said about most of these sort of films, really. 

But lets look at the evidence. The writers between them wrote Tower Heist, The Transporter: Refueled, Exodus Gods And Kings. One of them has a writing credit for Macbeth 2015 but there was another two writers on that so we don't really know his contribution. 

I was going to say that the Tower Heist was good but it being good doesn't really change the point being made since writing a good/decent/whatever comedy doesn't mean anything when it comes to the arena Assassin's Creed is in. 

• Mister Pink likes this

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

What doth LIFE Life life?

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:02 PM

Even Ubisoft themselves said that they were mostly just looking to get more brand awareness with this film. Hollywood just treats video game films as a low effort cash-grab and it sucks.

Although I heard that the Warcraft movie was a good fan-film at least.

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:09 PM Edited by HaythamKenway, 23 December 2016 - 10:09 PM.

The importance of a good screenplay is woefully understated in the blockbuster movies in general. The studios just hire some underpaid routine craftsmen to push out a meager script that gets rewritten a couple of times and the director then has to work with whatever drivel is thrown his way. And Kurzel, unfortunately, doesn't seem to be a good fit for this kind of big budget movie, so that's what we get - apparently incoherent story and flat characters with pretty visuals.

I think I'll *get* the movie and enjoy it alright because lolfanboyism, but I don't know... I might really just wait for the Blu-ray this time.

• Mister Pink, Vik and Neon_Dreaming like this

GTA-Biker
  • GTA-Biker

Let's Rock

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:58 PM

I was planning to go watch the movie in theater,but the last few days I've seen some reviews saying it's bad,so now I'm not sure should I watch it now in theater or should I watch it later online.I hope it's not really as bad as the critics are saying,I've heard Warcraft and Angry Birds were ok,so I thought video game movies started improving (I was especially hoping Assassin's Creed would be decent,since I've played a few games in the series and liked them a lot).

Grae
  • Grae

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:29 PM Edited by Grae, 25 December 2016 - 09:01 AM.

JCoA9.jpg

Hollywood just treats video game films as a low effort cash-grab and it sucks.

CsMDJ.jpg

Spoiler

• Richard Power Colt, gajrajgchouhan, Payne Killer and 1 other like this

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:59 PM

To this day, I am still 100% certain Uwe Boll is just laundering blood money.

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:41 PM

IMO, Assassin’s Creed is also an early contender for a possible worst movie of the year. The studios treat video game based movies like some cheap knock-offs for earning quick money. I felt the same thing when it came to Prince of Persia SOT. It was always going to be a battle between two opposing sets of expectations. Assassin’s Creed’s only redemption is how it handled the game’s signature parkour-esque rooftop chases. Those sequences are genuinely thrilling. But it’s nowhere near enough to save the movie from itself. It's even hard to properly remember Ariane Labed's character name. And everyone is “What the f**k is going on?!” most of the times. After being a fan of the Franchise for 6 years, I'm really disappointed.

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:33 PM

Early contender?
It came out like a week before the end of the year.

RARusk
  • RARusk

The Man With No Avatar

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:05 AM

To this day, I am still 100% certain Uwe Boll is just laundering blood money.

Did someone say blood money?

hitman-absolution-the-assassin-agent-47-

• Nelly2K likes this

Mion
  • Mion

KD*

• Members
  • Olympics
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:46 AM

So did this movie flop or no.

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:12 AM

No. Not exactly a flop. It's not a hit though.

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

.. - .----. ... / .- / .--. .-. .- -. -.- .-.-.-

• Members
  • India

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:14 AM

That's a rhetorical question. Obviously it flopped. Any form of adaptation of a video game falls on its face pretty hard.

Actually, it's not limited to video games. Animations as well have terrible live action movies. Take Dragonball Evolution for example. Seems like Hollywood has no skill in making adaptations.

But the worst thing is, those bastards behind this movie have no shame in ripping off the fans of this franchise and then call themselves as a "fan". Heck, I knew right away that this film would suck when half of its cast hadn't even PLAYED the goddamn games.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:16 AM

Actually, it's not limited to video games. Animations as well have terrible live action movies. Take Dragonball Evolution for example. Seems like Hollywood has no skill in making adaptations.

They figured out how to adapt comic books. That's why it boggles the mind that they can't figure out how to adapt video games. Video games with great storylines are an evolution of comic books into an interactive medium.

• Nelly2K likes this

Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 01 January 2017 - 06:37 PM Edited by Indi, 01 January 2017 - 06:37 PM.

So why do people hate this movie again?  It's not like the AC games have a fantastic story let's be honest.  The games have a decent story, but it's not amazing though.

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:33 PM

I guess it's because all good AC games have lovable side characters.

Assassin's Creed 2 had a nice story with a GREAT atmosphere. (Venice at night time with vibrant colors. f*cking beautiful.)

Brotherhood was close to 2. Revelations didn't have the atmosphere.

3 was pretty meh. Whatshisface was extremely boring (I don't even remember his f*cking name. Was it Conner or something? I know it was something Kenway. His dad was cool.)

Assassin's Creed 4 didn't have a good story, but the "villain" was likable.

Rogue was sufficient. I liked the side characters.

We don't talk about Unity.

Syndicate... Syndicate was bad. It wasn't too bad, but it was a worse offender.
It learned the wrong lessons from Assassin's Creed III...
AC3 had an uncharismatic character who sucked. But he didn't suck because he was uncharismatic... You can have awesome and lovable uncharismatic characters. (Bigby Wolf from TWAU. Gerald of Rivia. Egon from Ghostbusters.)

So what Syndicate did was just hit quotas without giving a sh*t.

They got a wisecracking Nathan Drake type protagonist. Is he interesting? No.
They got a female protagonist. Does she display one single f*cking emotion in any line of dialogue or action in the whole f*cking game? No.
And you got the mandatory historical figures and set pieces.

I haven't seen it, but I've seen plenty of complaints about the characters.

Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:24 PM Edited by Indi, 01 January 2017 - 10:25 PM.

I saw it today and I thought it was really good.

The animus is pretty hi-tech in the film though but in the games it's much more low tech.  I thought it was a great film though, the past scenes are pretty good.

I mean it would have been nice to have more scenes set in the past but the trouble is, AC games are split over many more hours than a film, but the main story in the AC games actually takes place outside of the animus because it's the stuff outside of the animus that drives stuff along and the film does that.

The characters are a bit stale at times but I still did feel sorry for Sophia (the girl in it) as well as Cal.  Cal has a bit of a backstory in the beginning, but yeah, it does lack some character development but the film doesn't deserve the entire hate its actually getting though.

Max Payne was a much worse game-to-film adaption and I think this is one of the best game-to-film adaptions.

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:33 PM Edited by HaythamKenway, 01 January 2017 - 10:35 PM.

Syndicate's story was unimaginative and just went through the motions, but I wouldn't say that the characters were uninteresting. They did they job just fine for what was a simple, lighthearted adventure. Jacob was an entertaining doofus, Evie was competent, driven, believer in the Creed and the series avoided that kind of character ever since Connor went sideways with the general audience. Their interactions were fun. They were likable and well acted enough to carry the aimless story along. The historical characters were caricatures even by AC standards, but they had the charm and the Templars were one-note, but memorable. Starrick, Roth and Attaway had more character than the entire Unity cast combined.

It was nothing to write home about, but nothing terrible either. Simple, but fun enough. Just like Yohalem's other entry, Brotherhood. After Unity's dry, plain story, that's exactly what I was in mood for.

As for the movie, it seems like it just has the same problems the modern day sections of the Desmond saga had. Made even worse by not having Shawn or John de Lancie to fall back on, with bored Cotillard instead. I know the whole modern day framing is AC's thing, but for a smooth adaptation, they should have thrown it out of the window altogether. Just tell a self-contained historical story. If you want to do sequel bait, then use the original pitch for Unity, following an artifact through different periods. Just don't bother with the whole modern day plot, when even in video games that's something even only a fraction of the hardcore fanbase cares about.

• Wu-Tang Forever likes this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:46 PM

I've been meaning to see this for a while and saw it today. Thank god I didn't let the negative reviews turn me off it because I really enjoyed it.

I liked the new Animus instead of ripping the one straight from the games and another thing I appreciated during the historical sequences is that everyone spoke in their native tongue.

It makes me cringe in the games when characters sound like they're from Great Britain trying to pull off an accent in English. Kudos for keeping authenticity during the Spanish sequences.

Not a masterpiece, but hardly a terrible movie either. For me 7/10.
  • Mister Pink and Street Mix like this

UshaB
  • UshaB

Nacho Libre - "I wanna weeeeeen!"

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 3 weeks ago

This movie left a bad taste in my mouth.

They should of stuck with staying in one of the past era's, making it like some kind of ancient detective story finding an artifact for whatever purpose. Then have the protag wake up from the thing, at the end, which allows them to make a sequel to continue search for artifact thing. Or could of just made it a good mystery, detective-searching based film set back in that time for modern research purposes with cool action scenes to go along with it.

• Payne Killer likes this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 3 weeks ago

I still can't believe they thought the constant back and forth in action scene was a good idea. Completely killed whatever good choreography they had going on.

• HaythamKenway likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users