Photo

Quick Question

8 replies to this topic
Birch Tree
  • Birch Tree

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

There's a certain style of "pictures" I've find myself to like. I'm not sure what it's called or how I can add it to pictures so if anyone can give me any answer, I'd appreciate it, thanks!

The style
user posted image

Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Enslaved

• The Connection
  • Finland
  • Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:56 PM Edited by Graven, 19 May 2013 - 06:58 PM.

The image itself seems vectorized (aka traced bitmap), maybe some light retro/vintage filter and softening used afterwards.
If You want a face shot like that, use heavy posterizing to drop the color count to 4-8, what ever You like, and then vectorize the image.

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

Stenciling?

Here's a word from our sponsor.
https://www.google.c...chrome&ie=UTF-8

Birch Tree
  • Birch Tree

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (Graven @ Sunday, May 19 2013, 18:56)
The image itself seems vectorized (aka traced bitmap), maybe some light retro/vintage filter and softening used afterwards.

So any idea on how I can get images to have that "political" theme where the one side is blue and the other is red?

Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Enslaved

• The Connection
  • Finland

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:00 PM

Look at the previous post, I searched and there seems to be a script for this. I will try that first.

Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Enslaved

• The Connection
  • Finland

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:21 PM Edited by Graven, 19 May 2013 - 07:23 PM.

QUOTE (Birch Tree @ Sunday, May 19 2013, 20:58)

So any idea on how I can get images to have that "political" theme where the one side is blue and the other is red?

This should, and will be moved to the Visual arts section.
I tried the Obama Hope Gimp script, and did not get that good results, may have to play out with the settings. more.
But to answer You, after the image is traced to a vector You can easily change the colors like exactly to the same ones in your example.
For the source file I would use an image that has light coming from side, so the other side of the face would be almost shaded. That contrast will help to achieve the wanted effect.

Would not make it this complex, but Here seems to be a good looking tutorial in fact:
http://vector.tutspl...litical-poster/

Birch Tree
  • Birch Tree

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (Graven @ Sunday, May 19 2013, 19:21)
QUOTE (Birch Tree @ Sunday, May 19 2013, 20:58)

This should, and will be moved to the Visual arts section.
I tried the Obama Hope Gimp script, and did not get that good results, may have to play out with the settings. more.
But to answer You, after the image is traced to a vector You can easily change the colors like exactly to the same ones in your example.
For the source file I would use an image that has light coming from side, so the other side of the face would be almost shaded. That contrast will help to achieve the wanted effect.

Would not make it this complex, but Here seems to be a good looking tutorial in fact:
http://vector.tutspl...litical-poster/

Thanks.
But there does seem to be one problem - the program I use is Paint.net. Do you know if there's a way to do this using Paint.net?

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

Seriously?
how+to+make+hope+poster+in+paint.net

Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Enslaved

• The Connection
  • Finland

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:59 PM Edited by Graven, 19 May 2013 - 08:04 PM.

QUOTE (Birch Tree @ Sunday, May 19 2013, 21:25)
Thanks.
But there does seem to be one problem - the program I use is Paint.net. Do you know if there's a way to do this using Paint.net?

I'm sure You can do same steps in Paint.Net than with any other pixel editor. But for vector You need Inkscape or other program with a bitmap tracer.
It could be possible to do with 1 program, but I like vectors because they are easy to manipulate and would use Gimp & Inkscape to try this out.
I have used Paint.Net and know that it can load also .8bf filters, and there is a huge amount of different plugins in Paint.Net plugins forum. Have You checked them out?

Basically the steps I would use are:

1. Posterize the image to 5 colors in your pixel editor (Gimp/Photoshop/Paint-Net). You could use a bit of blur or soften before to get smoother curves.
2. Trace in Inkscape, tweak some outlines if needed. Use the color codes which are in that tutorial to change the colors.
3. Add a frame.

Maybe I will try this later out, don't have time right now.

Here is one for Paint.Net but it's quite hard to follow biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users