Photo

Is lifelong imprisonment inhumane?

92 replies to this topic
Undertaker13
  • Undertaker13

SoonŽ

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:26 PM Edited by Undertaker13, 05 May 2014 - 12:26 PM.

If you take the life of someone for no "good" reason, you should get the same treatment. Lifelong imprisonment would be the best option and you can't call it inhumane, because those bastards deserved it. Those bastards who take other people's life are inhumane.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Absolute Dunkel:Heit

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:01 PM

If you take the life of someone for no "good" reason, you should get the same treatment.

Why?

I simply don't understand why this idea exists. It serves no societal purpose; it doesn't prevent crime; it reduces the concept of justice to mere retribution and it plays on the emotional whims of victims meaning it seldom if ever results in what is best for society as a whole. I don't understand why people with relatively liberal views on other subjects are swayed by it.

If there's an actual need for someone to remain isolated from society then it's in the interests of society for that to happen, but there's a wealth of compelling evidence supporting the notion that recuperation and reintegration into society offer lower crime rates than simply incarcerating people so why do the latter?

Josh
  • Josh

I wasn't born so much as I fell out

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:42 PM Edited by Josh, 05 May 2014 - 05:43 PM.

This is quite an interesting topic for me, having just read the autobiography of a man whose life changed immeasurably  for the better inside the US prison system. I would love to see the UK move more towards the Scandinavian concept of prisons, but I can't see it happening any time soon.

• sivispacem likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users