Photo

Los Angeles and Chicago

18 replies to this topic
Steve Stuart
  • Steve Stuart

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

Did Ubisoft represent Chicago better than Rockstar did with LA? Rockstar just took photos, Ubisoft took photos, videos and saw how people are and what they talk about... What do you think?

user posted image

user posted image

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

Ubisoft just copied Chicago, while R* reinvents SoCal. The game aspects also varies. I won't tell that Ubi hasn't done a good work, just the opposite, but after AC3, I don't trust them anymore.

Btw, the Ubisoft studio which developes the Driver series is announcing a new game in the E3, hope it's a new Driver set in Chicago colgate.gif

Tony.
  • Tony.

I don't agree with that in the workplace

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

As a Chicago resident, I'd say they have the city down well despite a few noticeable differences. But as it was said before, they're pretty much taking this city as it is and putting it into the game, and while they're trying to be accurate it's still going to result in a few inaccuracies (as with any recreation of a city). Los Santos is a reimagination of Los Angeles, so of course there's going to be some differences, but that probably doesn't matter to Rockstar.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Long Live The Established Hierarchy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (RoadRunner71 @ Saturday, May 18 2013, 16:15)
Ubisoft just copied Chicago, while R* reinvents SoCal. The game aspects also varies. I won't tell that Ubi hasn't done a good work, just the opposite, but after AC3, I don't trust them anymore.

Btw, the Ubisoft studio which developes the Driver series is announcing a new game in the E3, hope it's a new Driver set in Chicago colgate.gif

Driver: Los Angeles cool.gif

Trinette
  • Trinette

lean on me. so you wont. stray your neck.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

You'd think so but how often do things like that actually turn to be great? I mean, the guys who made Prototype did the same thing and took (I believe) more than thousands of pictures of Manhattan and it greatly lacked precise detail. The scale seemed pretty decent but the world in no way felt like it had enough oomph to bring me in. I have a feeling Watch Dogs could be the same way; an accurate representation to the looks and scale of Chicago but lacking in the precision of details that makes every corner you turn feel like you'll see something completely new and alien.

All developers dive deep into the city they're recreating if it's based of a real life city though, but it's a matter of how motivated they are to actually make it feel alive. I have hope that both games will deliver though based on screens and videos. We'll see for sure how great they did when the days come. ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

Ubisoft's Chicago looks stunning. I love it and all of it's details. But it's basically a replication of the city, not a parody. Los Santos is a parody of Los Angeles, hence it's called something different albeit similar to it's real life counterpart. I think Ubisoft's Chicago will feel more serious but there are things R* just does better too. Little details like alleyways, backyards, et cetera. And you'd be surprised what R* does recreate cities. And like I said, their cities are not replications, they're knockoffs. It's Los Angeles with a twist and a bit of humor.

They're both wonderful cities in the video gaming industry.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

Shouldn't this be in the V section or Gaming section?

OT: Ubisoft copied Chicago and its skyline while Rockstar re-invented Los Angeles. So both did a great job.

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None
  • Best Fan Art 2012
    Most Improved 2012
    Topic of the Year 2011 "GTA V Screenshot Fun"

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

Isn't WatchDogs on the next generation?

Steve Stuart
  • Steve Stuart

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (grope_4_that_date @ Saturday, May 18 2013, 19:20)
Isn't WatchDogs on the next generation?

Watch Dogs is for the current and next gen

Steve Stuart
  • Steve Stuart

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (RoadRunner71 @ Saturday, May 18 2013, 16:15)

Yeah, makes sense, I wonder if WD's Chicago is going to be the entire Chicago

Steve Stuart
  • Steve Stuart

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (Claude94 @ Saturday, May 18 2013, 16:25)
As a Chicago resident, I'd say they have the city down well despite a few noticeable differences. But as it was said before, they're pretty much taking this city as it is and putting it into the game, and while they're trying to be accurate it's still going to result in a few inaccuracies (as with any recreation of a city). Los Santos is a reimagination of Los Angeles, so of course there's going to be some differences, but that probably doesn't matter to Rockstar.

Lucky guy, by the way, looking the screenshots and gameplay, do you feel Chicago in WD? I've never been there but I guess they did a great job, I love how it's always windy

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

It's hard to say without playing either game, but so far they both look grrrreat!

QUOTE (RoadRunner71 @ Saturday, May 18 2013, 11:15)
Btw, the Ubisoft studio which developes the Driver series is announcing a new game in the E3, hope it's a new Driver set in Chicago  colgate.gif

Thanks for the news. I'd really hope it's a new driver. Chicago would be cool or any of the other locations they had in Driver 2. Or revisit all of them Chicago, Havana, Las Vegas, and Rio.

Tony.
  • Tony.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (Steve Stuart @ Saturday, May 18 2013, 14:39)

Lucky guy, by the way, looking the screenshots and gameplay, do you feel Chicago in WD? I've never been there but I guess they did a great job, I love how it's always windy

Yeah, I'd say I feel this city when I see the screenshots and gameplay. This shot especially reminds me of some of the rougher areas, just the way the buildings look.
user posted image
Of course, not everything is exact, but as far as a re-creation of this city goes, I like what I see. It feels like Chicago to me, not just some generic-looking city that they slapped the name "Chicago" onto.

GTAfan786
  • GTAfan786

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:22 AM

QUOTE (DarrinPA @ Saturday, May 18 2013, 19:55)
It's hard to say without playing either game, but so far they both look grrrreat!

Btw, the Ubisoft studio which developes the Driver series is announcing a new game in the E3, hope it's a new Driver set in Chicago  colgate.gif

Thanks for the news. I'd really hope it's a new driver. Chicago would be cool or any of the other locations they had in Driver 2. Or revisit all of them Chicago, Havana, Las Vegas, and Rio.

New Driver? I'm not too optimistic tbh, i hope it goes more towards the original and we can get out of the car. I did like SF because of the transition thing and the nice cars and good map, i didn't like the story at all.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:36 AM

QUOTE (GTAfan786 @ Sunday, May 19 2013, 00:22)
QUOTE (DarrinPA @ Saturday, May 18 2013, 19:55)

New Driver? I'm not too optimistic tbh, i hope it goes more towards the original and we can get out of the car. I did like SF because of the transition thing and the nice cars and good map, i didn't like the story at all.

I'd like it to have again a retro ambientation, or at least like in Parallel Lines that had the 1970s and present day. Licensed cars and good driving physics like in SF. I guess getting out the car again would be nice too.

Anyway, it's not confirmed to be a new Driver, that studio also makes other games.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Rumpy Bumps

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE (Claude94 @ Saturday, May 18 2013, 15:39)
QUOTE (Steve Stuart @ Saturday, May 18 2013, 14:39)

Yeah, I'd say I feel this city when I see the screenshots and gameplay. This shot especially reminds me of some of the rougher areas, just the way the buildings look.
user posted image
Of course, not everything is exact, but as far as a re-creation of this city goes, I like what I see. It feels like Chicago to me, not just some generic-looking city that they slapped the name "Chicago" onto.

Forgive me if I come off as a retard, but does that Trans Am-looking car have New York plates?

Tony.
  • Tony.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:31 AM

QUOTE (universetwisters @ Saturday, May 18 2013, 20:25)
Forgive me if I come off as a retard, but does that Trans Am-looking car have New York plates?

user posted image
Illinois plates. You are forgiven.

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:25 AM

Well some stuff is a parody in Watch Dogs like the Chicago Theater, it's called the Ambrose Theater. I haven't got a good look at the rest of the city but I'm willing to judge how well they did the city just by looking at how they did the Rookery Building (maybe that's being to unfair as I wanted to see the Eastern Columbia Building in GTA V and gave them a pass on not having it).

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE (Claude94 @ Saturday, May 18 2013, 20:31)
QUOTE (universetwisters @ Saturday, May 18 2013, 20:25)

/IMG
Illinois plates. You are forgiven.

I could see where his confusion came from. The in-game plates have too much blue on the top, I'm not sure if the text is smeared but it does look a bit too blue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users