Are you afraid to die?

202 replies to this topic
GTA564
  • GTA564

gta>

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:27 PM

I may start to fear death only if there is high probability that I could die.

I'm only 27 years old and very healthy so I don't even think about it.

Mr.Monk
  • Mr.Monk

‹bermensch

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:10 PM

Anicca or impermanence is what we run from, anicca is what we fear, anicca is what we join forces against and attempt to smash. Anicca is the destruction of our personal power, the loss of our world as we know it. Anicca is what drives the world mad. But the experience of anicca, a precious and fortunate opportunity into which one develops slowly, the actual direct experience, as opposed to our images, bugaboos, and sideways glances - the experience of anicca is a simple, clear, fact, like the wind.

It is a release, like a dip in a healing, cool, fresh river. Now I am washed away in the river, after so much fussing, I am torn away and alone in current. But I can swim, or rather, float. The self I held, I left with my towel on the shore, but I'm still alive, I haven't drowned or died. Pieces of what I imagined I had to grip to me come floating along beside me. The current of the world is unravelling in faces and forms. Without my will the universe unrolls, and fills my arms with muscles, my heart with human concerns. The scintillating milky way of my back is a winking and shimmering constellation, my body itself is a river, a continent of rivers, a flickering, vibrating, shoreless ocean of currents and channels, unfathomable, beginningless, endless. The living ride on life like the foam on the crest of a surge on the cosmic ocean.

The realization of anicca is a deep insight into ourselves and the world around us. It exposes the absurdity of clinging to a passing life in a passing world. It relaxes the clenched false hopes of narcissism, and enables the flow of spontaneous identification with all other transient lives. From the experiential realization that all things are anicca, that I am anicca, comes the deepest empathy possible, a feeling of kinship with all beings who suffer alike from the pain aroused by the illusion of separate self, a feeling of fellowship with all beings who yearn for liberation from the agony of separation, dissolution, death.
  • psymin and Payne like this

Arachne
  • Arachne

It's me.

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:36 PM

Meh, it's better not to think about death...

LeAuxChord
  • LeAuxChord

Tracks are finally open!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:13 PM

Meh, it's better not to think about death...

Yup. Had a decent panic attack over it first thing this morning. 

MikeMyth
  • MikeMyth

I'm lost at sea, don't bother me.

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:47 PM

I mostly just find it annoying that I can't see what's gonna happen hundreds of years into the future.

Thought I was the only one. I'd want to experience everything that happens in the future, WWIII or any other event which will be important to our world's history, even if I'm not experiencing it firsthand.
  • Nutsack McQueen likes this

Irish45455
  • Irish45455

Irish45455

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:33 AM

Nope. Been dead inside for years. It's an inevitability. Why fear the end, when it could just be a new beginning?

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:57 AM

No. Memento mori, they say, we are mortals. Everybody dies, not everybody lives. People should be more worried about living rather than being afraid to die.

TheGamingPr025
  • TheGamingPr025

Accentuate the Positive

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:45 AM

Not really. I don't want to live forever anyway. It would get boring after a while, and you'd see all your friends and family die around you.

Nutsack McQueen
  • Nutsack McQueen

What doth LIFE Life life?

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:53 AM Edited by Nutsack McQueen, 13 June 2016 - 09:55 AM.

Sort of related to this topic:
According to some guy who works at Google, we should be able to stop and reverse the aging process by 2029 with the use of nanobots. So basically we could live forever as long as we don't get killed by some disease or accident etc. A pretty wild prediction, but the guy's apparently got a lot of predictions right before. If it'll actually be true and people can afford it then I'd definitely consider it, I just don't wanna miss out on the kind of things humans will accomplish in the future. Like colonizing space. Although a lot of bad things could happen too like WW3 or some big natural catastrophe that would just suck to live through(or die, because of).

ceszayers
  • ceszayers

อธิปGrey

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 13 June 2016 - 11:34 AM

Sort of related to this topic:
According to some guy who works at Google, we should be able to stop and reverse the aging process by 2029 with the use of nanobots. So basically we could live forever as long as we don't get killed by some disease or accident etc. A pretty wild prediction, but the guy's apparently got a lot of predictions right before. If it'll actually be true and people can afford it then I'd definitely consider it, I just don't wanna miss out on the kind of things humans will accomplish in the future. Like colonizing space. Although a lot of bad things could happen too like WW3 or some big natural catastrophe that would just suck to live through(or die, because of).

It doesn't seem that far fetched, I'd like to believe something like that will happen.

If this was true at least we could decide WHEN we die and the circumstances, that'd be the best way to die in my opinion.

• Nutsack McQueen likes this

Fooking Rekt
  • Fooking Rekt

Special Vehicle Collector

• BUSTED!
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:33 PM

I'm not afraid to die, i'm afraid of the way i die.

Milfrah
  • Milfrah

I will gut you & turn your duodenum into a coin purse!

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:06 PM

I'm afraid to die but I'm more afraid of how I'll die. I also don't want my loved ones watching me suffer or having to identify my mangled corpse or something. 

Sounds weird but I actually fear being old almost as much as I fear death. Part of it is vanity, I'll admit to that--I don't want to be wrinkly and saggy. I'm thankful that I still look young for my age. But I'm also not looking forward to the health issues I already know I'm going to have trouble with, like arthritis in my upper and lower spine.

I am a cock gobbler and I love to gobble cocks.

fashion
  • fashion

Snaaaaake!

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:38 PM Edited by fashion, 16 June 2016 - 06:39 PM.

I don't believe you die and that's it, our consiousness (spelling error?) is definetly some kind of energy. Every one of us is part of the same universe, the same thing. As long as the universe doesn't die, we don't die. The energy leaves our body and something happens afterwards. I'm just sure of it.

Don't fear death, when your time comes accept it with open arms.

Majesty Dreamworth
  • Majesty Dreamworth

Grand Marquess of Slumbership

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:53 PM

To paraphrase Woody Allen, I'm not afraid of death, I'm afraid of dying. More specifically, I'm afraid of something taking my life away before I've had a chance to live it through. I have no doubts that there is something on the other side, but death right now to me is like moving to a new planet—permanently. I'm not ready to leave the familiar. I still have a lot of unfinished business.

DeeDogg_
  • DeeDogg_

Hired Gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:00 PM Edited by FutoLover, 21 June 2016 - 11:00 PM.

Nope.

Heaven seems neat. :D

But of course, I wanna live my life to the fullest and spend time with my loved ones

Midnight Hitman
  • Midnight Hitman

#HashtagsSuck

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:15 PM Edited by Midnight Hitman, 21 June 2016 - 11:18 PM.

Nope.

Heaven seems neat. :)

Who says there's a heaven?
Maybe you are going to the robot hell when you die.
Or to the nether realm, maybe tartarus or Niflheim or you reeincarnate in another being.

Maybe there's nothing, no afterlife...

• Payne likes this

Switch__
  • Switch__

Street Cat

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:18 PM Edited by Switch__, 21 June 2016 - 11:25 PM.

Of course im afraid to die, it's only human to be afraid. That doesn't prevent me from living a good life with laughter and crying. I like to use it as a motivation to do something productive or useful, by reminding myself that one day i won't ever get to try again and that sometimes you have to take those risks. I try to remember how it was before i was born, it was nothing. Thinking about that always forces me to do something.

DeeDogg_
  • DeeDogg_

Hired Gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:44 PM

Nope.

Heaven seems neat. :)

Who says there's a heaven?

Me.
Just a few minutes ago.
And the Bible.
It seems alright.
May be I'll get to see Kurt Cobain or Michael Jackson or my pet parrot that I killed by spraying Ajax on it when I was 4.

Melchior
  • Melchior

The blood of our martyrs will water the meadows of France

• The Connection
  • Unknown

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:49 PM

If Kurt Cobain has been an immortal entity outside of space and time for what to him is eternity, he's not gonna wanna talk about Nirvana. 

DeeDogg_
  • DeeDogg_

Hired Gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:56 PM

If Kurt Cobain has been an immortal entity outside of space and time for what to him is eternity, he's not gonna wanna talk about Nirvana. 

Is Nirvana still a band? Thought they died off when Kurt did. If they still perform to this day then that would be mind blowing (pun obviously intended)

AAR
  • AAR

They called him Bulldozer

• Members
  • Luxembourg

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:00 AM

I'm not. We're all going to die one day.

As a kid I was when I heard stories about people that died. Even if I was told that when the human died, its soul would go to heaven or hell, or that it would reborn again and forget its former life. It was still a scary thought because it seemed inexplicable. Then I started to ask what about the animals, pets, insects and so on...

Some believe that when we die there is nothing. Blackout.

It is said that the human being is afraid of the unknown and it also wants to have an answer or and explanation to unanswered or unexplained questions. If the answer is true, I don't know. People will accept any or no answer.

Any will suit each different people and cultures. Some believe there is a god and a devil or that there is heaven and hell. There are no concrete answers.

There are many books or videos that are dedicated to these topics.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:05 PM

I'm more afraid of living than dying, but more than anything, I'm afraid of getting old. If you're dead, you're dead, that's it, that's the end, there's nothing more but eternal peace and worms in your skull. 

But life, f*cking life, is just one long hangover sh*t. 

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Your self proclaimed GTA forums DJ!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:12 AM

Yes and no, I had a near death experience on Tuesday I'm pretty shaken up over it. I had a bad reaction to some meds and stopped breathing twice

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users