What GTA can adapt from Watchdogs

5 replies to this topic
visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

First, no fanboys.

Second, Watchdog's hyper-connected world is something I've been envisioning for years in GTA. Here's my idea:

-Initially, your character- and you- would have little to no idea of this hyper-connectivity. You'd see the signs all around you, and like a normal citizen, would disregard them. Naturally the usual GTA conspiracy theorist characters would grant a humorous angle. Gameplay would proceed as ever, until a mission string appears for some shady character, linked to a mysterious organization. Such missions would involve breaking into mainframes to plant bugs, recovering sensitive data from an individual/gang etc. Eventually it would be revealed that a "secret society" exists that electronically controls the city/state much like Aiden Pierce controls Chicago, and they're using you to expand further, perhaps even trying to take control of the in game internet, TV, radio to suit their purposes. They'd feature advanced- but somewhat plausible- features like electronic "sniffer" vehicles whose drivers patrol the streets, homing in on electronic "undesirables". You'd be able to jack these vehicles and do your own sniffing around, a windscreen HUD in the dashboard view automatically looking through walls, giving you real time information about the environment not visible to the naked eye. Smart windows in buildings could serve the same purpose, encompassing the entire city and being able to zoom in and through any building. This is just an example of the technology to increase the sense of depth to the city. You'd go from ignorant to informed.

-After taking down this organization, the technology would rest in your hands. Now, you can play like Aiden Pierce, and the world is your playground. Everything seen in Watchdog's trailers would just be the start. Play pranks on people for fun, like overloading a local water main to burst all the taps in a building, or get serious, go on rampages, anything. Turn the traffic lights at both ends of a tunnel complex green and witness the pileup, ALA Die Hard 4 (the only decent thing in that film). Whereas Pierce uses the technology for good (it seems), you could choose to do good or bad. You could mess with gangs, choose to use the technology in missions or play without it, just for variety, and maybe eventually you could control the internet, TV & radio, somehow, to suit your purposes in taking over the world.

-Just as everything is hyper-connected, with the hub being your phone (instead of having to select features to hack as you walk around like Watchdogs, instead you could automatically select a play mode on your phone, like "defend" or "stealth", and the phone would automatically hack everything around you to aid you as you run, drive, fly, swim around, giving you the benefits without the fuss), there may be times when it pays to go OFF the grid. To turn the phone off, and go oldschool. Say you're on the run with a six star wanted level, the FIB can maybe track your phone, so turn it off and disappear for a while. In order for this gameplay mechanic to work in GTA, both extremes need to be catered for, giving you further choice. Some buildings wouldn't show up as enter-able on the phone, for instance; you'd have to discover them yourself.

-The option to troll this feature or ignore it completely and play GTA as always, would be completely yours. If you don't like it, don't use it.

-Discuss! biggrin.gif

GtaIIIFanBoy
  • GtaIIIFanBoy

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

not being a fanboy but i would not want gta to adapt or take anything from watchdogs tbh

JBanton
  • JBanton

Mr. Nice-Guy...

• Members

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

I actually quite like the ideas presented here, of course right now they may not relate to GTA all that much, but as technology develops and has a more substantial influence on everybody's life it will only be inevitable that Watch Dogs style technology use will be included in GTA.

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (GtaIIIFanBoy @ Friday, May 17 2013, 13:57)
not being a fanboy but i would not want gta to adapt or take anything from watchdogs tbh

I actually felt kinda peeved when Watchdogs was announced as I've had this idea since before IV released, and wanted it for GTA.

Next gen, who knows... Games take each other's ideas all the time.

nealmac
  • nealmac

Low lie, the fields of Anfield Road

• Members

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

I love the idea of being able to do all that Watchdogs sh*t. But not in GTA. That concept is purely for a game revolving around that kind of theme. Shoehorning it into a different type of game would be a recipe for disaster. Leave the Watchdogs stuff to.....well, Watchdogs.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:54 AM

I like that peds in Watch Dogs have their own names and personalities, but then again it was briefly touched on in RDR though not as in depth.

I really can't think of anything concrete and specific I'd want from Watch Dogs in GTA. nealmac is pretty much right though. A lot of the features from Watch Dogs seem to be tailor fitted to suit it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users