I recently bought Red Dead and I find it so boring

71 replies to this topic
ainsz
  • ainsz

Senor Dickhead

• Members
  • England

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

I always love the the beginnings of Rockstar's Games as they're always humble and small time and in my opinion, is the time when the missions are most varied.

It's when the build up is over that either the story loses all pacing and goes off the rails (GTA SA) or the story is fine but the missions begin to drag and become repetitive (GTA IV).

For me RDR was the latter, by the time you're in Mexico, every mission is just the same thing over and over. Go here, Kill these guys, come back and repeat. Of course things pick up again near the ending.

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (ainsz @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 11:19)
For me RDR was the latter, by the time you're in Mexico, every mission is just the same thing over and over. Go here, Kill these guys, come back and repeat. Of course things pick up again near the ending.

I think it sticks to all games from Rockstar. Fun at the beginning, same sh*t near the end.

bluetops
  • bluetops

Chupacabra

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 05:52)
QUOTE (bluetops @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 16:31)
QUOTE (arsenal_fan @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 23:09)
I enjoyed the tutorial missions and love them in any game as long as they don't go too far, I didn't like it in Max Payne 3 where instantly your thrown into the action and expected to know the controls instantly. I never had that panic 'WTF do I do?' moment in RDR as it eased me into the game really well.

Agreed. In Max Payne 3, I was like "WTF?!" I died like 5 times on the first 2 guys lol.

Dude, the game freezes and tells you what to do!

It do? I don't remember anything. Maybe I turned off hints or something?

Anyway, on topic: OP, do you like RDR now, or still find it boring?

Travs.
  • Travs.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (bluetops @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 15:12)
QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 05:52)
QUOTE (bluetops @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 16:31)
QUOTE (arsenal_fan @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 23:09)
I enjoyed the tutorial missions and love them in any game as long as they don't go too far, I didn't like it in Max Payne 3 where instantly your thrown into the action and expected to know the controls instantly. I never had that panic 'WTF do I do?' moment in RDR as it eased me into the game really well.

Agreed. In Max Payne 3, I was like "WTF?!" I died like 5 times on the first 2 guys lol.

Dude, the game freezes and tells you what to do!

It do? I don't remember anything. Maybe I turned off hints or something?

Anyway, on topic: OP, do you like RDR now, or still find it boring?

that's the reason I bumped the topic, to tell everyone I love it now, if you read up a bit. I'm currently up to the part where i'm looking for Dutch. smile.gif

jlamay
  • jlamay

Lost In Liberty City

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:51 AM

How does John/Jack get the fire bottles? I think I missed something.

rotipuj
  • rotipuj

That's all I got

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:42 AM

QUOTE (jlamay @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 01:51)
How does John/Jack get the fire bottles? I think I missed something.

In the mission "The Demon Drink" in Mexico. Or you can also get it earlier by doing the Nosalida hideout.

ugotsmoked
  • ugotsmoked

SHUT UP AND BLEED

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

Its all good till the very end when John dies and you are replaced by his retarded son.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:44 AM

QUOTE (Daz @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 00:29)
The game feels like a modern hipster's take on the west, and not something authentic that you might have found in call of juarez or red dead revolver.

It's actually difficult to be "authentic" about something that has never happened. The "Wild West" is mostly a myth.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:31 AM

QUOTE (ainsz @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 22:19)
I always love the the beginnings of Rockstar's Games as they're always humble and small time and in my opinion, is the time when the missions are most varied.

It's when the build up is over that either the story loses all pacing and goes off the rails (GTA SA) or the story is fine but the missions begin to drag and become repetitive (GTA IV).

Vice City was well paced.
GTA III was pretty good as well IMO.

So not all R* games go down the drain.

Lexty.
  • Lexty.

me against the world

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:45 AM

Keep playing it. The story becomes more in depth as it goes along.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:59 AM

QUOTE (ugotsmoked @ Tuesday, Aug 6 2013, 20:47)
Its all good till the very end when John dies and you are replaced by his retarded son.

Worst thing ever, especially for a god damn free roam game.

It was lucky I was told to make a save before a certain point and not told why, it is all clear now.

There was honestly NOTHING interesting or unique about any of the missions, even the 2nd half seemed to drag much longer than the start even did with all the bullsh*t tutorials.

The very end there was some slightly better things going on but as mentioned it ended like a cat turd in your bed.

Alot of a good story is atmosphere, and how lifelike the world feels, which I didn't get from either IV or RDR.

I just haven't enjoyed a Rockstar story this gen, all have sucked, except LA Noire, but that wasn't Rockstar North.

rotipuj
  • rotipuj

That's all I got

• Members

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (Daz @ Wednesday, Aug 7 2013, 06:59)
QUOTE (ugotsmoked @ Tuesday, Aug 6 2013, 20:47)

Worst thing ever, especially for a god damn free roam game.

It was lucky I was told to make a save before a certain point and not told why, it is all clear now.

There was honestly NOTHING interesting or unique about any of the missions, even the 2nd half seemed to drag much longer than the start even did with all the bullsh*t tutorials.

The very end there was some slightly better things going on but as mentioned it ended like a cat turd in your bed.

Alot of a good story is atmosphere, and how lifelike the world feels, which I didn't get from either IV or RDR.

I just haven't enjoyed a Rockstar story this gen, all have sucked, except LA Noire, but that wasn't Rockstar North.

What the hell are you talking about? Red Dead Redemption has the best atmosphere in any game ever. The game world feels more alive than any other game set in a modern city.

And the story was perfectly paced, more so than any GTA game, which have lots of filler missions. People complained about having to drive and ride with people to missions, but the characters were too good for the ride to be boring. I just loved their dialogue. And if you restart the mission, you get a slightly different dialogue. The tutorials in the beginning were the perfect way to show the atmosphere. And Bonnie's character was great, as are all the others you meet along the way.

The missions didn't feel boring or repetitive to me. Sure, sometimes it felt like just killing and more killing, but what do you expect from a game that's set in the Wild West?

I also hated that even though the ending was great, you had to play as Jack afterwards, but I made a separate save for John so it was fine .

I could go on and on. smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users