Photo

Christianity In primary schools.

32 replies to this topic
Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:01 AM

I am a devout christian, and believe in Christ with all my heart.

Despite this, I think it is wrong to teach children religious ideas and dogmas.

You see, if we brainwash a kid into believing in Jesus, he will not be saved by this faith.

Because faith that is a result of a brainwash, is not real faith!

No, real faith is a result of persons own search and a personal relationship with God. It comes out of free will, and never out of brainwashing.

-out of brainwashing comes only false faith. Which leads unto damnation.

Yes, it's okay to tell kids about Jesus and prayer and so on, but it is wrong to force it unto them, like they do in most cathoic schools (for example).

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Hellhound Warpig

• United-Kingdom

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

The problem is, at what point does telling become brainwashing? I'm not averse to the idea of teaching children about religion, but I would class some of the statements you've made about your own religious belief as to have crossed this line. Rhetoric around "saving" in particular I see as blackmail because the insinuation even from very general discussion is that one is harmed by not harbouring this belief.

I think that children are mature enough to learn about the structures and basic belief systems of all religions but should be guarded from the rhetoric and hyperbole around salvation and the implicit claims of spiritual and moral superiority that often accompany them until they are old enough to make their own informed choices.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:46 AM Edited by Ziggy455, 15 March 2014 - 01:47 AM.

The problem is, at what point does telling become brainwashing? I'm not averse to the idea of teaching children about religion, but I would class some of the statements you've made about your own religious belief as to have crossed this line. Rhetoric around "saving" in particular I see as blackmail because the insinuation even from very general discussion is that one is harmed by not harbouring this belief.

I think that children are mature enough to learn about the structures and basic belief systems of all religions but should be guarded from the rhetoric and hyperbole around salvation and the implicit claims of spiritual and moral superiority that often accompany them until they are old enough to make their own informed choices.

I agree. I believe that there's too many exaggerations and inter-development of children at such a young age where religion is sort of placed onto their shoulders and goes beyond the basic belief system. Like you say, the rhetoric and hyperbole around salvation and the spiritual/moral superiority always feels like it is hardcoded into the children at a young age. It is why religion seems quite abundant in people that have been brought up on it from a young age. 

I have a friend who is an extremely devout Christian, very textbook in terms of what you'd consider one to be. They go to church, they abide by laws coded by New and Old Testament. They're very into the entire thing. This friend, of course, was very much like this when he was younger but I guess not to such an extent that he is now. I believe that it's a development phase. Children should be open to religion, but they shouldn't be forced through the misguided, and somewhat deluded view I have seen of some religious people. (Not Christians as a whole, don't mistake me for a bigot here.)

In summary, I'm all for religion to be taught to children in schools, even Christianity, but maybe not to the extent that many would agree. We don't need there to be hyperbole and rhetoric forced through a child's belief. We should let them decide for themselves when the time is right. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users