Quantcast

» «
Photo

Strange prompt screen showed up suddenly...

3 replies to this topic
X3MProductions
  • X3MProductions

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:45 PM Edited by X3MSonicX, 16 May 2013 - 06:01 PM.

Sorry for the not-so-good english, i'm Brazilian (and because of that, many people from here may don't like me lol)

I'll need to resume up the things that has happening on my comp.

Yesterday a few updates on my computer were installed (Windows 7 Ultimate, 11 updates) And i've shutted it off. Today at morning i've started the computer and the IOBit's boot defrag screen showed up and defragged the boot register archives. A few seconds later, it said "Exiting..." and i've waited some seconds, but it didn't. I went desperate, because it had happened with me 2 times already... I've tried to restart the comp and it showed up again; i've had waited and it didn't happen to exit the screen and start the PC. Then, i had again restarted, and the startup repair screen showed up... I've waited like 40 minutes to let them repair, but they haven't had found any errors. I thought twice to install the system restore, but i didn't make it.
Then i've exited it. The boot defrag screen had shown up again. I've typed 'Esc' so it exited. Then, the computer started and i got relieved. I'm now executing Advanced Systemcare 6 and veryfying/repairing any errors on the entire computer.

But, like a few minutes ago, i was normally on my computer, and suddenly this prompt screen showed up:

http://i920.photobuc...zpsa75ef2cf.jpg

I don't know what it is, i'm afraid of being any virus Or anything from the computer...

Could you guys help me?

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

Your image didn't show up. Try using http://imgur.com.

As for your problem, just use the Windows defragger. That's all I use and it's just fine. I've found with 7 it's rare that you should have to do the same sort of defragging that XP needed.
At the most you might need to "defrag" the page file and the best way to do that is to completely get rid of it and have the OS create a new one. If you want steps on how to do that, just ask and I'll be happy to help.

If you really want to use that product then first off make sure it's completely up to date.

X3MProductions
  • X3MProductions

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

Thanks, Wolf68k biggrin.gif . I'll use the defragger from Windows 7 from now on. I've got costumed on using IObit's Advanced Systemcare and Smart Defrag 2, i think they're good. But the boot defrag really pisses me of some rare times - like this one on this morning...

But Actually, i didn't exactly understand what you mean about defragging the page file. Could you please reformulate the sentence? Thanks smile.gif

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

The page file is the virtual memory and it's literally a file on the OS drive. If you set the Folder Options->View->uncheck 'Hide protected operating system files' you can see it. C:\pagefile.sys
Don't worry too much how big that files is. It's normal for it to be very big. Mine is around 8GB.
However like any other file that is accessed a bunch it can start to become corrupt over time, more so with this file. But it's a very easy fix and here's how...

Start->System (control panel)->Advanced system settings->Advanced->Performance->Settings (button)->Advanced->Virtual Memory->Change (button) {do you think they buried it enough?}
If "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" checked that's fine, just remember that.
If that above setting is checked, then uncheck it. If it's already uncheck then, write down what the settings are.
Select "No paging file" and click Set.
Click OK until you get out. At some point you might get a warning about it not taking effect until you restart, if so that's normal and you're going to be restarting anyway.
Restart your system.
2 options here:
1. Either defrag your system using Windows build in defragger or use whatever you like best
2. Skip the defragging
Which ever one you do go back to the same Virtual Memory settings window and reset whatever the settings where before. No need to restart but if you want to you can.

This by the way is one of the last things I do with my normal maintenance steps; virus scan, spyware scan, chkdsk, clear pagefile {optional}, defrag, [reset pagefile settings].

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users