Quantcast

» «
Photo

What Causes Corrupted Backup Save Files?

6 replies to this topic
Shpati
  • Shpati

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:48 AM Edited by Shpati, 14 May 2013 - 10:52 AM.

Hi,

I had a bunch of save files from 08 which I tried to use a couple of months ago. They did not work for some reason. It was a infinite loading screen, or the game will load, but it will freeze right after 2 seconds.

My question is, what causes this to happen?

Here are my two possibilities:

1.) I thought maybe it was because back in 08, I had an XP computer, now I use a new Windows 7 computer. So I thought maybe the old save files that were saved on the XP computer cannot be used on a Windows 7?

2.) I remember in those old save files, I used a few player model skins for different cloths. I use no mods or skins now. Could that be a problem?

Though, I was able to back up save files from GTA3 just fine. I'm using them now, and they were back from 08 and were saved on my old XP computer. I'm using them now on Windows 7.

Let me know if you guys know what causes messed up save files. I have to send my laptop back for warranty soon, and I would like to know if I can back up my save files and load them up later.

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

Weird. Save games are usually corrupted if there's power outage while saving or if you had viruses they could've caught those.

Windows is not an issue here and skin isn't either if you just retextured the one that comes in VC folder. Only some mods can sometimes mess up saves. And since you say it does load to game sometimes, are you sure your game is OK, after it loads it doesn't have anything to do with the save file anymore.

Can you start a new game and play without problems?

Did you have any mods installed when you played back in 08?

At the end of the day.. how much is that important to you. It's a short game, you can do it in a few afternoons while enjoying replaying old missions.

Shpati
  • Shpati

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE (Dope_0110 @ Tuesday, May 14 2013, 12:02)
Weird. Save games are usually corrupted if there's power outage while saving or if you had viruses they could've caught those.

Windows is not an issue here and skin isn't either if you just retextured the one that comes in VC folder. Only some mods can sometimes mess up saves. And since you say it does load to game sometimes, are you sure your game is OK, after it loads it doesn't have anything to do with the save file anymore.

Can you start a new game and play without problems?

Did you have any mods installed when you played back in 08?

At the end of the day.. how much is that important to you. It's a short game, you can do it in a few afternoons while enjoying replaying old missions.

I can start new games with no problems at all. And save them as well. I just can't use those old save files and load and play them. Some of the files do not load at all (screen just turns black and that's it), and some of the old save files do load, but the game just freezes completely.

Not sure if it is considered a mod, but all I used was skin texture mods (ex: I believe I had a mod for an Adidas jumpsuit, a white suit).

Yea, I know it is a short game. But it was a save that dated back in 2008, and I had a bunch of stuff completed.

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

Well, it could be the mods if it's a real mod and not that texture that lies in the folder.

Another possibility is different versions of the game, maybe you had some patched and updated version back then or as I mentioned, files got corrupted trough a virus or something.. yeah it's a bugger to lose a good save game. But still, it'll be fun to acomplish it all once again

Shpati
  • Shpati

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE (Dope_0110 @ Tuesday, May 14 2013, 13:28)
Well, it could be the mods if it's a real mod and not that texture that lies in the folder.

Another possibility is different versions of the game, maybe you had some patched and updated version back then or as I mentioned, files got corrupted trough a virus or something.. yeah it's a bugger to lose a good save game. But still, it'll be fun to acomplish it all once again

I don't think I had it patched. I don't even think there is an updated patch for Vice City.

All I remember is replacing texture files for those models I used, so that shouldn't cause the game to mess up?

Thanks for the help.

And yea, it's no biggie. smile.gif

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:47 AM

Texture mods definitely don't break save game files. Well, it's too bad but as I said, it's just a new chance to enjoy mission and challenges once again.

Shpati
  • Shpati

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE (Dope_0110 @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 05:47)
Texture mods definitely don't break save game files. Well, it's too bad but as I said, it's just a new chance to enjoy mission and challenges once again.

Your right!

Thanks again!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users