84 replies to this topic
Panz
  • Panz

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Returning Member 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2013
    Hottest Member 2014

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:22 PM Edited by Panz, 28 January 2014 - 05:22 PM.

How good is this show anymore? I stopped watching after Season 7 because Season 8 wasn't on Netflix and I didn't want any spoilers. 

I personally hate this season. It's drawn out, and they're milking it because they got stuck in a sticky situation with little plot left. And I find the mother to be terribly dull, but I guess that's good, for Ted's sake.

It's too bad. This show was golden for the first few seasons. And this awkward Ted-Robin chemistry is so inappropriate. I sincerely doubt that just meeting the mother will completely and automatically eliminate all of Ted's feelings for Robin. Let's be realistic.

Flynny
  • Flynny

Where is Jessica Hyde?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:48 AM

Let's be realistic.

US Sitcoms, and sitcoms in general rarely ground themselves too much in realism. I agree that the feelings may not completely go but I would not rule it out.

Nopheros
  • Nopheros

Cool, cool cool cool. Pew.

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:24 PM Edited by Nopheros, 01 February 2014 - 09:24 PM.

I hope the next episode is as good as our two latest episodes.

There's some new info regarding "How I Met Your Dad" which by the way, won't be focused on the mother in this show..

SALLY | She’s vibrant, messy and unpredictable — a “female Peter Pan who has never grown up and has no idea of where she’s going in life.” She’s thinking of calling it quits with her husband of a year, Gavin. She’ll lean on her circle of friends for advice and support through the inevitable divorce. That circle includes…
JULIET | Sally’s sexy, flamboyant, energetic, party-girl BFF. She runs a successful fashion blog. She’s delighted to learn Sally is ending things with the terminally boring Gavin.
DANNY | Sally’s older gay brother, a Type A, overachieving lawyer whom she shares little in common with. They nonetheless share a tight bond, although Sally’s decision to move in with Danny after her split with Gavin promises to test that bond.
TODD | Danny’s warm, outgoing husband and one of Sally’s closest friends from college. Unlike Danny, Todd welcomes Sally into their home.
FRANK | The head of IT for Juliet’s fashion blog. He’s a hot nerd. He has genuine feelings for Sally, but it’s a one-sided flirtation. At least for the moment.
NARRATOR | It’s Sally from the future. She’s reliving the events of her past to her kids.

http://tvline.com/20...ast-gay-couple/

So, how ya'll feeling about these characters? 
Juliet sounds kinda like Barney,

Nopheros
  • Nopheros

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

I don't want this thread to die - yet.

On monday "The End of the Aisle.." sounds exciting.. That's the final episode before the finale. Last Forever, it's gonna be epic wait for it dary.. Wait that's not right.

Flynny
  • Flynny

Where is Jessica Hyde?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:20 AM

1 more week to go. The final chapter, part of me feels sad. The slap-bet is over :(

Nopheros
  • Nopheros

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:35 AM

MHM. So, the finale.. GEez.

Flynny
  • Flynny

Where is Jessica Hyde?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:48 AM

Oh that finale officially pissed me off. It was telegraphed from the start that that would happen but that they actually did it just... f*ck you carter bays

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

Not quite content with the ending of the show. There was way too much stuff cramped into a measly 40 minutes. It turned out to be less emotional than what I originally thought it would be. It probably should have ended with Ted and the mother under the umbrella at the station.

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:27 PM

To be honest..........what did just happen? I mean the ending...what? I think i have to rethink what i just saw.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Long Live The Established Hierarchy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:27 PM Edited by gtamann123, 01 April 2014 - 06:28 PM.

I kinda hope that scene in the bar where Marshall was talking to those younger kids in the booth next to them alludes to some kind of goofy near future spin off starring those kids. Not holding my breath though

Iminicus
  • Iminicus

Cyclop have 9 years

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:27 AM

BULLsh*t!

Worst series ending since Lost. f*ckING COP OUT! Complete bullsh*t.

Why the f*ck did they go that route? This had potential to be the ending of all endings. Barney and Robin is a better pairing and less obvious choose than Ted and Robin. f*ck, when will a TV show movie away from the Ross/Rachel dynamic?

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:34 AM

To be fair to them, they had the ending planned since the start of the show so it's not something they whipped up last year. Although they had the time to change that and do something different rather than trying to bring the story to a full circle. On a side note, I don't exactly have a problem with the ending but the execution of it was poor.

• Nopheros likes this

69_black_69
  • 69_black_69

Just Beacuase

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:54 PM

I'm dissapointed. Not because of the ending, but the entire last season.

The first time my friend introduced me to this show, it was so awesome, i had to binge watched it til season 5. And after that,  some laugh and a lot of 'meh'.

But still going to say that this show is one of the greatest sitcom i've ever watch.
Love every cast on it. Could've been better with the story, but still, time well spent.

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:48 PM Edited by Brobinski, 02 April 2014 - 09:52 PM.

I understand a lot of hate the show is getting for how the final part of the story was played out in terms of presentation, but I don't understand the issues with the actual story.

Just for some context, I've only been casually watching the show in re-runs on a channel in the UK mostly showing later seasons stuff and the only season I've followed in full and in order is this last one.

To me, it all seems to make sense. Barney and Robin were a match made in hell. All their characteristics that matched up and made them good together in the moment were the ones that meant they wouldn't last. Barney only "changed" in brief moments of realisation, if at any point the narrative that was centre stage was anything other than him, he was exactly like he'd always been.

Pretty much everything I've seen, including the whole Barney and Robin being together arc, leads to Ted and Robin being together being inevitable. Ted's always been this ridiculous, larger than life romantic who believes in destiny and fate. That doesn't just go away after nearly a decade, even when he finds someone else. Robin will have always been his "What could have been?" whether the mother was alive or not. It doesn't mean he didn't love her, but he'd never be properly over Robin.

Now, things I will take issue with. A whole series set over a weekend, seriously? The pacing for the entire last season is complete sh*t. When you have such a short timeframe stretched out over 22 episodes, you can't just go and cram decades into 40 minutes. Payoffs don't work like that. Iy should have been several episodes at least. The subject matter (friends drifting apart, a mother/wife dying, a marriage ending, having a child with someone you don't know etc.) doesn't lend itself too well to a sitcom, but let's be honest if you're here at season nine you're probably not just tuning in for the sex jokes any more.

My other problem is a bit minor really. I hated how the finale treated Robin. As far as I can tell she's always been dedicated to her career completely. Sh*t, she only met all these people because she moved to a different country to pursue it. She couldn't have kids so it was never going to happen that she meets someone and settles down to raise a family. It was a given that eventually she was going to be on the move again, and the rest of the group, especially Lily, made her out to be a bitch and a bad friend. The only one in that situation who is a bad friend is the one who resents someone for doing what they love. Life happens, people drift apart in geography and personally. Just because they're not available 24/7 for you doesn't make them a bad friend, resenting them for that does.

TL;DR: The plot developments make sense. Having them all occur in about 15 minutes doesn't. Also, Lily's a child.

Side note: My actual name is Robin and I'm a guy. Writing that all out was super weird for me.

• Girish likes this

Flynny
  • Flynny

Where is Jessica Hyde?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:03 AM

I understand a lot of hate the show is getting for how the final part of the story was played out in terms of presentation, but I don't understand the issues with the actual story.

Just for some context, I've only been casually watching the show in re-runs on a channel in the UK mostly showing later seasons stuff and the only season I've followed in full and in order is this last one.

To me, it all seems to make sense. Barney and Robin were a match made in hell. All their characteristics that matched up and made them good together in the moment were the ones that meant they wouldn't last. Barney only "changed" in brief moments of realisation, if at any point the narrative that was centre stage was anything other than him, he was exactly like he'd always been.

Pretty much everything I've seen, including the whole Barney and Robin being together arc, leads to Ted and Robin being together being inevitable. Ted's always been this ridiculous, larger than life romantic who believes in destiny and fate. That doesn't just go away after nearly a decade, even when he finds someone else. Robin will have always been his "What could have been?" whether the mother was alive or not. It doesn't mean he didn't love her, but he'd never be properly over Robin.

Now, things I will take issue with. A whole series set over a weekend, seriously? The pacing for the entire last season is complete sh*t. When you have such a short timeframe stretched out over 22 episodes, you can't just go and cram decades into 40 minutes. Payoffs don't work like that. Iy should have been several episodes at least. The subject matter (friends drifting apart, a mother/wife dying, a marriage ending, having a child with someone you don't know etc.) doesn't lend itself too well to a sitcom, but let's be honest if you're here at season nine you're probably not just tuning in for the sex jokes any more.

My other problem is a bit minor really. I hated how the finale treated Robin. As far as I can tell she's always been dedicated to her career completely. Sh*t, she only met all these people because she moved to a different country to pursue it. She couldn't have kids so it was never going to happen that she meets someone and settles down to raise a family. It was a given that eventually she was going to be on the move again, and the rest of the group, especially Lily, made her out to be a bitch and a bad friend. The only one in that situation who is a bad friend is the one who resents someone for doing what they love. Life happens, people drift apart in geography and personally. Just because they're not available 24/7 for you doesn't make them a bad friend, resenting them for that does.

TL;DR: The plot developments make sense. Having them all occur in about 15 minutes doesn't. Also, Lily's a child.

Side note: My actual name is Robin and I'm a guy. Writing that all out was super weird for me.

They should have done half a season for the wedding, half for their future.

The mother being dead really f*cked it for me, I saw it coming but it was jsut a f*ckign dick move, this was a sitcom that had much in common with friends in terms of its mood, mostly positive, then it just does this which is more in kin with scrubs, out of character.

We knew her name would be Tracy from the 4th episode. the coincidence of it is, and maybe why I am pissed about it more than I should be, my mother died a few years ago, just before I started watching this show, and her original name was Tracey (Tracy is american spelling of Tracey). 

If we ignore the finale flash-forwards ever happened (except for the next day one where Ted calls Tracy) and then just end it at the train station with them under the umbrella (beautiful scene) and leave out the divorce, barney's lovechild and Tracy's death then we have ourselves a decent ending. 

Essentially they pulled a scrubs, they had a good ending but decided to keep going and f*cked the dismount, royally.

• Secura likes this

Nopheros
  • Nopheros

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

Yup.

And let's not forget what Robin and Ted promised eachother.. If they were both over 40 years old and still single they would get together and that is what they did. Think about, the signs about a T/R ending has been there all along, we just didn't see it. Re-watch some old episodes and you'll notice it and you can't stop thinking about it. 

"I disliked it very much the first time, but when watching some old episodes and thinking.. The hints were so subtle most of the time and I don't really mind that Ted ended up with Robin.. And I keep hear people saying that he settled for the mother, well that's not true because he loved and still loves the mother, but she's gone and we have to accept that and move on, like Ted did. And the kids shouldn't be mad, they should be happy that their dad is finally moving on. It was 6 years since she died, he must've been so alone and depressed for a longtime. I loved the ending."

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:51 PM

This is hilarious: (A Farewell to Arms spoilers, I guess)

Jedi.
  • Jedi.

Now, shall we begin?

• Angels of Death MC
  • England

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:20 PM Edited by Jedi., 03 April 2014 - 08:20 PM.

In fact, Robin not being the mother (a revelation that provided the big twist in the pilot episode) is one of the "pillars" in the premise of the show, a constraint that makes the series fresh and largely takes it out of the "will they/won't they" territory familiar to "Friends" fans. The creators of the show have reiterated in interviews that while Robin is going to be important and crucial in Ted's romantic journey, they intend to stick to their guns: Robin is not "the one," and there will be no ultimate loophole or twist to make it otherwise.

Yeah...

DariusRoda
  • DariusRoda

Player Hater

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:57 AM

I believe that the best part of the final episode is the part when Barney meets his newly born daughter. I would have loved if Barney remained with Robin instead of Ted. The last episode had a very unexpected twist.Anyway , has somebody got a suggestion to what should i watch now? preferably the same type of tv series as How I met your mother..?

Flynny
  • Flynny

Where is Jessica Hyde?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:31 AM

I believe that the best part of the final episode is the part when Barney meets his newly born daughter. I would have loved if Barney remained with Robin instead of Ted. The last episode had a very unexpected twist.Anyway , has somebody got a suggestion to what should i watch now? preferably the same type of tv series as How I met your mother..?

A sitcom I have enjoyed watching is Community.

BuyMeTheMoon
  • BuyMeTheMoon

Homie

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Norway

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:05 AM Edited by BuyMeTheMoon, 07 April 2014 - 08:12 AM.

This!

Funny thing though; even though most people didn't notice it, we knew all along that the mother's name was Tracy

Flynny
  • Flynny

Where is Jessica Hyde?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

This!

Funny thing though; even though most people didn't notice it, we knew all along that the mother's name was Tracy

Cos the 4th episode when he met the stripper called tracy and joked with the kids that that was their mother.

So assuming the kids knew their mother's name then the mother had to be called tracy.

• BuyMeTheMoon likes this

im_stoned
  • im_stoned

Thug

• Members

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:33 AM Edited by im_stoned, 12 April 2014 - 04:42 AM.

The last season was way to '' romantic chick flick'' for me personally. I don't get into those shows or movies so I have little to no interest in watching it. Sad but true. This show was golden in its prime its a shame it's going to die in a less than desirable way

EDIT: ive only seen the first 4 ep's of the final season and another random ep I saw on tv a few weeks back so I cant comment on the overall season just the bits ive seen

I did like the bits with marshall and the African American chick When they were driving to the wedding together that was vintage how I met you're mother good stuff

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:30 AM

This!

Agree with this. The whole show, which is even titled for it, was about us finding out who the mother was.. or at least it was the running mystery. Then in the last couple episodes it was like - This is her, I spent a lot of years with her... and now she's dead... and that's pretty much all the time they dedicated to her hah. The final season and the finale fell quite a bit flat compared to the rest of the series, but such is the nature of so many great shows, so I can't hate, really.

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:45 AM

There's going to be an alternate ending on the DVD box set. I'm guessing it's going to be the 'lived happily ever after' ending that we all wanted, so I guess there's light at the end of the tunnel after all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users