Quantcast

» «
Photo

Hard lock;soft lock or free aim?

59 replies to this topic

Poll: Will you use hard lock; soft lock or free aim? (244 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you use hard lock; soft lock or free aim?

1. Hard lock (25 votes [10.87%])

Percentage of vote: 10.87%

2. Soft lock (91 votes [39.57%])

Percentage of vote: 39.57%

3. Free aim (114 votes [49.57%])

Percentage of vote: 49.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote
MuXu96
  • MuXu96

Peon

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

I won't call anybody a noob just cause he uses auto aim, but I realized with Max Payne 3, I don't need it, and I don't want it anymore.
I even finished New York Minute Hardcore with free aim and it was so much more satisfying^^

So what will you use?

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

I started using free aim in RDR and it made everything so much better, especially the hunting. In MP3 it was perfect, so I hope it will be just as good in GTA V or even more refined if that's possible.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Pent Kaul

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:19 PM

Hard lock for me.

DON'T JUDGE ME THEY GAVE ME A CHOICE.

Tobias_Rieper
  • Tobias_Rieper

Silent Assassin

• Members

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

Free aim in Max Payne is quite satisfying. I've used free aim since RDR and have grown comfortable with it. I just hope in V, that it feels like MP 3. Kind of spoiled 3rd person shooters for me.

TECHN9CiAN
  • TECHN9CiAN

may His darkness be your light

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

Free aim. Difficult as fcuk since I suck at shooters, but it's very rewarding to get a head shot with no assistance.

Mr. Darko
  • Mr. Darko

My lies are better.

• Members

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (universetwisters @ Monday, May 13 2013, 21:19)
Hard lock for me.

DON'T JUDGE ME THEY GAVE ME A CHOICE.

I won't judge, I've used auto-aim in GTA for ages and it's a hard habit to get away from, as was using cheats all the time.

I still don't play GTA IV with free aim because it just doesn't work very well, but I started playing RDR with free aim a while back and I haven't looked back since. I've always understood what people mean when they talk about how more challenging = more satisfying. This is certainly true, but more challenging can also = more frustrating, and I usually want to avoid frustration when playing videogames. But if I'm able to strike a middle ground where things are challenging but not frustrating, I go for that, and while free aim in GTA IV was just frustrating, free aim in RDR was satisfying.

GTA V looks to be a further improvement in the vein of MP3, so I think I'm very likely to go for free aim. I won't be ashamed to do soft-lock if that becomes too frustrating for me, but I think that it'll just be plain fun.

TrojanPrince
  • TrojanPrince

Trojan Prince - son of Priam

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

Soft Lock, Hard Lock? wtf is this

Mr. Darko
  • Mr. Darko

My lies are better.

• Members

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE (TrojanPrince @ Monday, May 13 2013, 21:33)
Soft Lock, Hard Lock? wtf is this

Previews have stated that these are the aiming options for GTA V, same as Max Payne 3 (and similar to RDR's "Beginner", "Normal", and "Expert" aiming options). It's fairly simple: hard lock means that you lock immediately to the biggest threat with your weapon, even if you're turned away from them, and the reticule will rigidly stay on them. Soft lock guides your aiming a little less, not immediately snapping to threats you're not already facing and allowing for more wiggle room with the reticule, making you have to aim a little more carefully. And free aim is, of course, no lock-on at all.

SlappyPwnsAss
  • SlappyPwnsAss

I done kept it real from tha jump

• Members

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

soft lock. im not a pro at shooting, i just like to enjoy the game lol

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

• The Connection
  • Ireland
  • Contribution Award [GTA Online]

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

Free Aim For me

reform
  • reform

Beaten, battered, bruised, Told to get down

• Members

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

all.

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

If it's anything like Max Payne 3 then Soft lock in single player at least. I found free aim to be irritating and hard lock isn't as fun because you can't "hit the weak spot for massive damage". tounge.gif .

LovesGTA
  • LovesGTA

GTAIV > GTAV

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:46 PM

Free aim. I don't like games aiming for me.

dangr
  • dangr

Hustler

• Members

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

Free aim. The only time I used auto aim was at San Andreas on my PS2 (on my PC I used free aim). But I was 11 years old...

Druffmaul
  • Druffmaul

Dan Is The Bastard

• Members

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

If it really is similar to MP3, I'll use free aim. Because MP3 kinda punishes you otherwise. Hard and even soft lock actually made it more difficult to get head shots.

In GTA IV, I switched to free aim after my first game, but after a while I went back to aim-assist. The game is simply more enjoyable that way for me.

zainzombie
  • zainzombie

PRE-ORDER CANCELLED! *sob sob*

• Members

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

Soft Lock. Not because Im bad with free aim but because when it comes to GTA games I always used to lock enemies. I will definitely try free aim in V and see how it goes as they said they have improved alot in that department.

hanichabib
  • hanichabib

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

I choose Free Aim smile.gif

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

Free aim all the way. Been playing that way since forever only because I've been f*cked over by auto-aim too many times. I'd rather die because it's my fault, instead of bc the reticle is spazzing.

thugzmansion
  • thugzmansion

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

I think it's just auto-aim on/off like in gta iv and if i'm right i'll have it on

E: nevermind it's hard lock, soft lock or free aim...oh well i might as well use free aim

The_Golden_Derp
  • The_Golden_Derp

Tactical Sammich

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

Jesus you guys. DO we have to have a poll on something so insignificant? f*ck. Obviously you will get to toggle it so let people do what they want.

MuXu96
  • MuXu96

Peon

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:13 PM Edited by MuXu96, 13 May 2013 - 10:16 PM.

QUOTE (thugzmansion @ Monday, May 13 2013, 22:09)
I think it's just auto-aim on/off like in gta iv and if i'm right i'll have it on

E: nevermind it's hard lock, soft lock or free aim...oh well i might as well use free aim

as far as I know the previews confirmed these 3 aim modes are available.

EDIT: he edited..^^

E2:
QUOTE (The_Golden_Derp @ Monday, May 13 2013, 22:11)
Jesus you guys. DO we have to have a poll on something so insignificant? f*ck. Obviously you will get to toggle it so let people do what they want.

I will people let do what they want.
Even tho it doesn't affect me what you will choose, I wanted to know, I just was curious.

MuXu96
  • MuXu96

Peon

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

double post.. sh*t how do I delete it?^^

Fisciletti
  • Fisciletti

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

I'll probably start with soft lock. When I get used to shooting, I'll change to free aim.

Vin89
  • Vin89

Peon

• Members

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

My most recent RDR playthrough was with free aim. Of course it's more difficult but also more rewarding and satisfiying. In GTA IV (and all previous titles of the series) I used auto-aim. Still, it's pretty tough sometimes. But since I never really came to like GTA IV's shooting and cover system I never saw it as a challenge to be good at shooting. I really emphazised more on the driving aspects which where flawed but rewarding and fun.
Shooting in GTA never felt that good. It were the effects, realy. People screaming, police coming after you, how victims dropped sometimes. But the ballistics where weak. The sound, the choice of weapons in GTA IV...it's not been rewarding enough for me. Lastly, the covering system didn't live up to my expectations. Missions usually felt like "ok, it's a cover-and-shoot-mission with certain objects placed in the right spot". I missed the freedom of choice how I proceed in a gunfight.

Covering makes things either too easy or too complicated in most games. In RDR they nearly nailed it. Not every cover was 100% save and there was a good chance that you got shot while aiming. Still, there could have been some improvements.

Scampi
  • Scampi

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:01 PM

I don't know what type of aim I used in IV, the default whatever that was, but it was assisted. The down side was sometimes it would lock onto who I didn't want to shoot and it was a hassle to get it off. I just started a 2nd play through of TLaD last night and decided to use free aim, sort of as a test run for how I will handle V. So far it is working very well and eliminates the problem I just stated. I will probably use free aim in V if it is similar. Gun fights take a lot longer, and I usually go very slowly anyway, not run and gun at all, so as long as I can sneak around and be methodical I'm alright.

I don't understand how people can use free aim in RDR though. It's great for on foot, but once you get on the horse... I don't know. The horse is bouncing, the other guys on horses are bouncing, the terrain varies in height, and trying to steer / speed control the horse... all while trying to get a headshot seems impossible to me. This isn't a problem in GTA since when you're in a car you can't auto lock onto anyone anyway, so you have to use free aim, but the cars and pavement are steady and you're usually aiming at other cars anyway so you don't have to be so precise. My hat's off to you if you did RDR with free aim.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:39 PM

Free aim. Auto Aim in GTA games is retarded. It never locks on to what I want. Better to just aim myself.

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

Depends on the reticule. If it's another small ass annoying dot like MP3, I'll use Soft Lock. I never used Hard Lock...

Hotband
  • Hotband

Cheesehead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:40 AM Edited by Hotband, 14 May 2013 - 01:44 AM.

Soft lock.

yakprince
  • yakprince

Doughboy

• Members

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:35 AM

Free Aim all the way. I just hate how multiplayer gets split up by people choosing to use auto aim more than free aim.

Johan
  • Johan

• The Yardies
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:40 AM

Soft lock my first playthrough, after I 100% it or complete the story I'll switch to free aim just like in Max Payne 3 which I also used for online.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users