Soylent ...White?

14 replies to this topic
Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

So a few months ago I decided it would be a good idea to make sure I was getting my vitamin RDA every day. I exercise regularly. I eat a lot of different things but I've always eaten well. And aside from the heavy smoking, frequent drinking, and occasional drug use, I'd class myself as quite healthy. But I miss out on so many vitamins every day and there's a chance I could have some sort of deficiency.
It wasn't too hard, I already eat and enjoy a lot of vitamin rich foods, it was just a matter of fitting them all in and making sure I eat enough to hit the RDA. I did feel a bit better and noticed a bit more energy.
This lasted about two weeks, until I realised A) I'd need to be getting all the minerals and proteins too, and B) I don't have the time for this sh*t. It's easier to monitor when you supply your own food and eat at home and can check nutritional values on the packaging/internet, but it takes more patience when you have to constantly check the values when you're eating out or at someone elses house. Apparently throwing a box of Kellogg's Frosties at your best mate because it isn't fortified with vitamin D is NOT acceptable guest etiquette.

Throughout this time I was thinking, what if someone created a range of ready meals or salads or something that contained all the vitamins and dietary minerals? Like 3 different meals a day, with a third of all your vitamins in each. You'd never have to worry about getting your 5 a day, or taking supplements, and essentially start using your body more efficiently. Make them nice enough, could be good for people wanting to lose weight. Or better yet, give it to those starving Africans.
And then I started thinking about Parenteral Nutrition, Soylent Green, and that scene in The Matrix when they eat that goopy gruel sh*t - "A single celled protein combined with synthetic aminos, vitamins, and minerals. Everything the body needs." I even researched a bit into Nutraloaf, or 'Prison Loaf'.

Then I forgot about it all. Until today. I was browsing Vice and came across this. A ginger software engineer has developed something that looks like horse semen but tastes very unlike horse semen (probably) and somewhat appropriately named Soylent.
user posted image
It contains -
Everything the body needsthat we know of, anywayvitamins, minerals, and macronutrients like essential amino acids, carbohydrates, and fat. For the fat, I just use olive oil and add fish oil. The carbs are an oligosaccharide, which is like sugar, but the molecules are longer, meaning it takes longer to metabolize and gives you a steady flow of energy for a longer period of time rather than a sugar rush from something like fructose or table sugar. I also add some nonessentials like antioxidants and probiotics and lately have been experimenting with nootropics.

He's basically stolen my idea, but I'm letting it slide.
It's apparently cheap as f*ck (unlike similar medical food products used in hospitals with feeding tubes) and while he still eats a few normal meals a week, with Soylent his food bills are now a fraction of what they were before. He's had to tweak the formula constantly, like when he had joint pain and realised he needed to add sulfur, and doctors have been advising that he needs to add this and that to the mix.
I believe he's about four months into the experiment, and hasn't died yet. In fact it seems to be doing wonders for him.
QUOTE (After one month)
I feel like the six million dollar man. My physique has noticeably improved, my skin is clearer, my teeth whiter, my hair thicker and my dandruff gone. My resting heart rate is lower, I haven't felt the least bit sickly, rare for me this time of year. I've had a common skin condition called Keratosis Pilaris since birth. That was gone by day 9. I used to run less than a mile at the gym, now I can run 7. I have more energy than I know what to do with. On day 4 I caught myself balancing on the curb and jumping on and off the sidewalk when crossing the street like I used to do when I was a kid. People gave me strange looks but I just smiled back. Even my scars look better.

My mental performance is also higher. My inbox and to-do list quickly emptied. I 'get' new concepts in my reading faster than before and can read my textbooks twice as long without mental fatigue. I read a book on Number Theory in one sitting, a Differential Geometry book in a weekend, filling up a notebook in the process. Mathematical notation that used to look obtuse is now beautiful. My working memory is noticeably better. I can grasp larger software projects and longer and more complex scientific papers more effectively. My awareness is higher. I find music more enjoyable. I notice beauty and art around me that I never did before. The people around me seem sluggish. There are fewer 'ums' and pauses in my spoken sentences. My reflexes are improved. I walk faster, feel lighter on my feet, spend less time analyzing and performing basic tasks and rely on my phone less for navigation. I sleep better, wake up more refreshed and alert and never feel drowsy during the day. I still drink coffee occasionally, but I no longer need it, which is nice.

A handful of locals of diverse builds have been testing it, but the feedback so far has been segregated. I think I have a good model of the male proportions. For the males, besides the obvious fat loss and muscle gain, quantified-mind.com scores have increased, testers report better sleep and increased focus, and some even improved emotional health. There are many second-order benefits to being healthy and well fed. The women are not as happy, reporting they still feel hungry. Clearly this still needs some tweaking.

Note - Women are never happy. With anything. Ever.

What do you guys think? Would you be interested in it? Do you think it has potential for becoming the food of the future? As a cheap and nutritious food that can be manufactured in any climate (and provided he isn't just in it for the money), could it change poverty and world hunger? Or do you think it's important to eat real food? Do you think it's just a matter of time before this pasty yank spontaneously combusts due to a chocolate deficiency?
I enjoy my food a lot, and it'll be a grim future if we're all eating the same bland slop. But I must admit I like the idea of boosting physical and mental performance. Maybe once he gets the formula perfect, and I find out where the f*ck I'm going to find all this stuff, I'll try it. Actually, I've got a number on my phone for a guy that'll give me a good price on some quality vitamin K...

Vice Article
Washington Post
Rob Rhinehart (a.k.a Pasty Yank)'s Blog
In depth list of ingredients

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• Leone Family Mafia
  • European-Union

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:55 PM Edited by El Zilcho, 12 May 2013 - 10:08 PM.

This sounds fascinating - it also sounds like something I wouldn't have the discipline to try myself, but the idea nevertheless sounds appealing, possibly revolutionary. Not only that, but if it were to be true and reproducible, then surely it would have applications in the third world?

I'm very hard pressed to get excited about things like this, as I would be (and still am) sceptical, but in this case it appears reasonably effective. As I said, if others can redo this and it does indeed work, it's brilliant.

Zirvlok
  • Zirvlok

Reading and posting from my PS3

• Members

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

Hell, I'd give it a shot. Sometimes eating feels like a chore, and if I could just gulp down this and be good (no, better), then that'd be just awesome. Though I'm sure I'd have a tasty meal every so often.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:23 PM Edited by GTAvanja, 12 May 2013 - 11:36 PM.

So this can possibly cure world hunger AND make people a lot healthier? If I lived anywhere near that guy I'd sign up to be his test subject immediately sarcasm.gif

Now, if he finds a way to add different tastes to this without sacrificing the integrity of the formula he'll be a billionaire.

stu
  • stu

I drink it up

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • European-Union

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:33 PM

Sounds too good to be true. You always hear about these miracle things, whether it be some amazing new fuel that will save the Earth or a solar powered umbrella that flies from New York to London in only 2 hours. But they rarely actually deliver and the people behind them always over exaggerate the product's capabilities.

That guy's account is so ridiculous as well. Making his hair thicker and his teeth whiter... I'LL BUY A THOUSAND BOTTLES!

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 23:33)
Sounds too good to be true. You always hear about these miracle things, whether it be some amazing new fuel that will save the Earth or a solar powered umbrella that flies from New York to London in only 2 hours. But they rarely actually deliver and the people behind them always over exaggerate the product's capabilities.

That guy's account is so ridiculous as well. Making his hair thicker and his teeth whiter... I'LL BUY A THOUSAND BOTTLES!

Human

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

Well, If this were true it would be the greatest invention since breast milk. Which I read somewhere that it has all of the vitamins, nutrients, and minerals that we human need anyway.

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• Leone Family Mafia
  • European-Union

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:54 PM Edited by El Zilcho, 12 May 2013 - 10:57 PM.

QUOTE (018361 @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 23:43)
the greatest invention since breast milk.

sly.gif

Mistaken choice of word there?

Stig
  • Stig

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:00 PM

Relevant

icon13.gif

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:36 PM Edited by GTAvanja, 12 May 2013 - 11:44 PM.

QUOTE (RadioIsotope @ Monday, May 13 2013, 00:00)
Relevant

icon13.gif

I won't question his moral integrity. From what I read he seems genuinely enthusiastic about the idea. The problem I have with him is his method. Not very objective, since he's using himself as a test subject. He can't accurately tell what the benefits of his experiment are, if any. Maybe he's the exception and maybe he's absolutely right, but it's more probable that his observations about the effects of his formula are nothing more than the projection of his desires. Like placebo effect. Except that he created the actual medicine.

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE (RadioIsotope @ Monday, May 13 2013, 00:00)
Relevant

icon13.gif

Irrelevant. Regardless of where he takes this, if you learn to make it yourself then he isn't making a penny off you.
I'm not saying people shouldn't be skeptical, but it's no tall tale that taking the right vitamins and minerals can be significantly beneficial. I think the mental boost he's selling is a bit much, but I'm with him on the physical stuff.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:48 PM

There are already lots of products which try to do this, and they aren't that far off, you'd only have to mix a few different ones, I always feel that all these supplements aren't good to have all the time though, I only supplement fish oil (regularly) and occasionally a few others, but that's rarely when I've been slack with my diet or I feel out of it.

This does seem awfully scam-ish, I Wouldn't be gloating about the product until it's actually finished and tested.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:07 AM

I thought NASA already has the 'everything' pill (capsule)?

Zugzwang
  • Zugzwang

Snitch

• Members

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:06 AM

QUOTE (018361 @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 22:43)
Well, If this were true it would be the greatest invention since breast milk. Which I read somewhere that it has all of the vitamins, nutrients, and minerals that we human need anyway.

This doesn't have the benefit of boobs. Serious detriment if you ask me.

WHAT!?
  • WHAT!?

The Ed One

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

Well, I'm honestly tempted to give it a shot. From the list of ingredients I see it doesn't look harmful. The worst that could happen is I decide its not for me and go back to what I was doing. I actually had this same idea when I was in the Navy. It was always hard to get a really good meal in, you just had to grab whatever slop they were serving, scarf it down and then get back on station. I used to try and pull off the whole proper diet bit by eating nothing but lean meat (fish or chicken) and vegetables while supplementing BCAA's, Creatine and Protein for my workouts. It was a pain in the ass and I eventually got sick of it. I'm just so damn busy with work that I don't have the free time to make more than dinner for myself. Even then I'm usually so tired that I just don't care what I eat anyway. I just want to relax and unwind. Now I have college on top of it all... haven't eaten right or worked out for about two years (since I got out) and its starting to catch up with me.

I might be willing to be the GTAForums guinea pig here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users