Quantcast

» «
Photo

If the EU became one nation, what would be the...

125 replies to this topic
MassacreGTA
  • MassacreGTA

Prankster

• Members

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

Capital City: Brussels
Language: English

Kwabs
  • Kwabs

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

Omg hell no. I hope it 'll never happen.

But if it ever happens Brussels as capital, English and French as national languages I suppose.

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

Ihr müsst mich in den Stahl hinablassen.

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

I think Melchior somehow missed the fact that it has become a common phenomenon that extremists notably from the Golden Dawn chase foreigners and have already killed some of them. Many immigrants want to get out of Greece because they are afraid.

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:44 PM Edited by Raavi, 12 May 2013 - 12:48 PM.

QUOTE (Stephan123 @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 13:32)
QUOTE (BRITLAND @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 12:29)
Frankfurt - Home to the European Stock Exchange, other likely candidate

you mean the European Central Bank

Beat me to it. Frankfurt is home to the FWB. Euronext (part of NYSE Euronext), GXG Markets, OMX Exchanges, are the only international pan-European SE's in Europe. The remainder of SE's in Europe are not EU regulated.

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:49 PM Edited by Stephan123, 12 May 2013 - 12:51 PM.

QUOTE (Raavi @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 12:44)

Beat me to it. Frankfurt is home to the FWB. Euronext (part of NYSE Euronext), GXG Markets, OMX Exchanges, are the only international pan-European SE's in Europe. The remainder of SE's in Europe are not EU regulated.

The Euronext headquarter was in Amsterdam

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (Stephan123 @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 13:49)
QUOTE (Raavi @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 12:44)

The Euronext was in Amsterdam

Edit: Nevermind.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

In the unlikely occurrence:
The Capital would be the Hague. Although an island would be best (maybe Malta).
There could be no 'official' language, just a trade language (English). Similar to that used by International Aircraft.

It would be one step closer to the One World order, before the movement into space smile.gif

GTA 360
  • GTA 360

LIVE WITH IT OR DIE FROM IT.

• Members

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

Well the capital won't be in England, because we don't want Europe, and as soon as we get this vote that they're saying we're going to get we'll be out.

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:10 PM Edited by Raavi, 12 May 2013 - 01:12 PM.

QUOTE (GTA 360 @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 14:06)
Well the capital won't be in England, because we don't want Europe, and as soon as we get this vote that they're saying we're going to get we'll be out.

Then I'll move back to London.

@ lil weasel At a certain point in time a One World government will be inevitable. Or we have to find a planet that can be inhabited by humans that isn't lightyears away.

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:12 PM Edited by Stephan123, 12 May 2013 - 01:20 PM.

QUOTE (Raavi @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 13:10)
QUOTE (GTA 360 @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 14:06)

Then I'll move back to London.

May I ask where you currently reside? pm if necessary

Direct!
  • Direct!

joker, toker, midnight smoker

• Members

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:46 PM

Honestly, I think there will be a large iron curtain around the borders of Russia and we will have constant surveillance, with a wall bricking off North-West Europe protecting us from people from Greece and so on trying to get into the West.

oh, and I think it's gonna be called "die EUDR", atleast the poorer countries sarcasm.gif

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 12:46)
QUOTE (Melchior @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 12:41)
QUOTE (Stephan123 @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 21:11)
Especially in south Europe the anger against the EU instititutions and also Germany grows very fast, because of the wrong austerity strategy.

How about you stop misleading people? Reading your posts, the layperson would conclude that the situation in Europe is very tense; everybody hates their government, hates the other countries and the seams of the EU are starting to tear, when really none of that is true. Most of Europe doesn't share this weird sense of indignation that the right wing in Britain and Germany seem to have.

Odds are, the EU's role is only going to increase. You can swim against the current if you like, but don't pretend your views represent anything but a minority.

"Riots and civil wars"? Get real.

Do you live in Europe?

If not then how do you you think you have a single clue on what really goes on here.

Melc has a pretty decent knowledge of European politics. I'm pretty sure he is actually European even though he doesn't live here. I have to agree. I tire of the sensationist propaganda you and Stephan sling about because not one iota of it appears to have any basis in reality. The fact that you seem unable or unwilling to actually properly quantify your statements, and instead resort to making claims that essentially amount to "you have to live in Europe to be entitled an opinion on it", which we all know is utter tripe, indicates to me you don't really have much of merit to say but still want to justify your opinions as if they're shared by all, or even a majority, or even if I'm being realistically generous a small but vocal minority.

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:36 PM Edited by Stephan123, 12 May 2013 - 02:46 PM.

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 14:32)
QUOTE (Raavi @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 12:46)
QUOTE (Melchior @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 12:41)
QUOTE (Stephan123 @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 21:11)
Especially in south Europe the anger against the EU instititutions and also Germany grows very fast, because of the wrong austerity strategy.

How about you stop misleading people? Reading your posts, the layperson would conclude that the situation in Europe is very tense; everybody hates their government, hates the other countries and the seams of the EU are starting to tear, when really none of that is true. Most of Europe doesn't share this weird sense of indignation that the right wing in Britain and Germany seem to have.

Odds are, the EU's role is only going to increase. You can swim against the current if you like, but don't pretend your views represent anything but a minority.

"Riots and civil wars"? Get real.

Do you live in Europe?

If not then how do you you think you have a single clue on what really goes on here.

Melc has a pretty decent knowledge of European politics. I'm pretty sure he is actually European even though he doesn't live here. I have to agree. I tire of the sensationist propaganda you and Stephan sling about because not one iota of it appears to have any basis in reality. The fact that you seem unable or unwilling to actually properly quantify your statements, and instead resort to making claims that essentially amount to "you have to live in Europe to be entitled an opinion on it", which we all know is utter tripe, indicates to me you don't really have much of merit to say but still want to justify your opinions as if they're shared by all, or even a majority, or even if I'm being realistically generous a small but vocal minority.

Golden Dawn: 18 of 300 seats in the parliament
communists: 12 of 300 seats in the parliament

new party found by Greek economists for Greek Euro Exit: "Drachme 5 stars" (like the Italian party)

http://www.faz.net/a...d-12179664.html

Greek youth unemployment rate = 64% (and 27% for the whole population)

http://www.welt.de/w...64-Prozent.html

violence against foreigners

http://www.cbsnews.c...crisis-lingers/

A polll from April 2013 has revealed that the EU support in Greece has dropped from 51% to 31%

http://www.tagesspie...hr/8060370.html

Ari Gold
  • Ari Gold

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:47 PM

I've pounded with liver and brain with what can only be described as an objectively excessive amount of whiskey. What the hell is your point exactly? That the EU is unpopular?

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (Stefche @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 14:47)
I've pounded with liver and brain with what can only be described as an objectively excessive amount of whiskey. What the hell is your point exactly? That the EU is unpopular?

Actually, the topic was about: "If the EU became one nation..." and my point is, that the people will not allow this.

Ari Gold
  • Ari Gold

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

I don't think anyone is disputing that, to be honest.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:50 PM Edited by sivispacem, 12 May 2013 - 02:53 PM.

Sorry Stephan, but what point are you making? The fact that two politically extreme parties hold about one twentieth of the seats in a parliament each in a nation that has lurched from political crisis to political crisis for the best part of five years- a nation, lest we forget, that has a modern history of political extremism, does not constitute evidence that absolutely everyone in Europe is fundamentally opposed to the entire concept of a political union, that Europe's international relations are coming apart at the seams and that everything is ruined. You just interpret anything to do with European political discourse as a damning indictment of the EU based solely on the fact you personally don't like it. Sad to say this, but the vast majority of people in Europe- politically educated or otherwise- disagree with you despite the best efforts of the gutter press.

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:52 PM Edited by Stephan123, 12 May 2013 - 02:55 PM.

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 14:50)
Sorry Stephan, but what point are you making? The fact that two politically extreme parties hold about one twentieth of the seats in a parliament each in a nation that has lurched from political crisis to political crisis for the best part of five years- a nation, lest we forget, that has a modern history of political extremism, does not constitute evidence that absolutely everyone in Europe is fundamentally opposed to the entire concept of a political union, that Europe's international relations are coming apart at the seams and that everything is ruined. You just interpret anything to do with European political discourse as a fanning indictment of the EU based solely on the fact you personally don't like it.

A polll from April 2013 has revealed that the EU support in Greece has dropped from 51% to 31%

"Äußerten noch im Januar 51 Prozent eine positive Meinung zur EU, waren es im April nur noch 31 Prozent."

"While in January 51% expressed a positive opinion about the EU, it were only 31% in April."

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE (Stephan123 @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 15:52)
Sorry Stephan, but what point are you making? The fact that two politically extreme parties hold about one twentieth of the seats in a parliament each in a nation that has lurched from political crisis to political crisis for the best part of five years- a nation, lest we forget, that has a modern history of political extremism, does not constitute evidence that absolutely everyone in Europe is fundamentally opposed to the entire concept of a political union, that Europe's international relations are coming apart at the seams and that everything is ruined. You just interpret anything to do with European political discourse as a fanning indictment of the EU based solely on the fact you personally don't like it.

One poll in one nation does not provide evidence of endemic feelings across nearly thirty. Even at the lowest recorded point of EU popularity amongst member states back in 2010, 49% of respondents said the EU was overall a good thing. Less than 25% responded as it being negative. I find this discourse extremely interesting, particularly in reference to how people portray the UK as the leading light for Euroscepticisn given the irony of the fact overall trust in the EU institutions is higher in the UK than it is anywhere else in the Big Six according to Eurobarometer.

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 15:03)
QUOTE (Stephan123 @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 15:52)

One poll in one nation does not provide evidence of endemic feelings across nearly thirty. Even at the lowest recorded point of EU popularity amongst member states back in 2010, 49% of respondents said the EU was overall a good thing. Less than 25% responded as it being negative. I find this discourse extremely interesting, particularly in reference to how people portray the UK as the leading light for Euroscepticisn given the irony of the fact overall trust in the EU institutions is higher in the UK than it is anywhere else in the Big Six according to Eurobarometer.

We will see how the crysis develops in the future. My political barometer is the youth unemployment rate, which has risen to 64% in Greece and 58% in Spain.

Ari Gold
  • Ari Gold

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

We all know that Greece is a good barometer for what the rest of Europe thinks, right?

Alas, the idea that support for the EU may be dropping still has nothing to do with the idea of a single European "nation" arising which seeks to destroy national cultural and individual differences between European countries, an idea which has literally 0% chance of occurring. The EU's goal has nothing to do with creating such a "New World Order" type of scenario, and still, despite inefficient political wraggling between a lot of the leaders of the nations (such as the relatively flip-flop nature of Merkel when negotiating the creation of the banking union), it exists first and foremost as a framework to provide complete economic liberalisation between European markets, and secondly to develop a political union which supports such a framework in an efficient manner. Of course, this is naturally going to be difficult when you have 27 different sovereign nations whose opinions you have to pander to, but despite the recent difficulties the EU's faced (which are largely drawn from (a) poor fiscal responsibility by individual nation states and (b) as a by-product from the global recession as a whole), the bureaucratic set-up itself is not the source of Europe's problems. Poor national fiscal management is.

BnB
  • BnB

The Yardies

• Members
  • Saint-Vincent-and-the-Grenadines

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:17 PM Edited by BnB, 12 May 2013 - 03:26 PM.

QUOTE (Stephan123 @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 13:46)
Then how do you explain that the Golden Dawn party in Greece (Nazi party 2.0) has gained 18 of 300 parliament seats in the last election?

user posted image

That's because every other party is absolutely sh*t (including this one too of course) and people don't know who to vote for as the two old prevalent ones turned out to be corrupted. Therefore people who voted for them had no other choice, being disappointed by the other parties, and most probably they do not agree with the their true ideology. Personally, I don't think they will ever take over, there are many people against them. As for the communists, they are not extreme compared to the other ones, most of the people who vote for them are pensioners whose families were in favor the communists during the civil war after the 2nd WW.

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:21 PM Edited by Stephan123, 12 May 2013 - 03:29 PM.

QUOTE (BnB @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 15:17)
Then how do you explain that the Golden Dawn party in Greece (Nazi party 2.0) has gained 18 of 300 parliament seats in the last election?

user posted image

That's because every other party is absolutely sh*t (including this one too of course) and people don't know who to vote for as the two old prevalent ones turned out to be corrupted. Therefore people who voted for them had no other choice, being disappointed by the other parties, and most probably they do not agree with the their true ideology. Personally, I don't think they will ever take over, there are many people against them.

BnB, could you give us an opinion out of first hand? I would like to hear what you think about the situation.

PS: I know that by far not everyone, who voted for them, agrees with their ideology. Sorry if it appeared like that. But the more seats they get, the more they can control politics. The Nazis also used the great economic crysis in the late Weimarian Republic.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (Stephan123 @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 15:21)

user posted image

That's because every other party is absolutely sh*t (including this one too of course) and people don't know who to vote for as the two old prevalent ones turned out to be corrupted. Therefore people who voted for them had no other choice, being disappointed by the other parties, and most probably they do not agree with the their true ideology. Personally, I don't think they will ever take over, there are many people against them.

BnB, could you give us an opinion out of first hand? I would like to hear what you think about the situation.

PS: I know that by far not everyone, who voted for them, agrees with their ideology. Sorry if it appeared like that. But the more seats they get, the more they can control politics. The Nazis also used the great economic crysis in the late Weimarian Republic.

You know, when a crisis comes, the first people do is blame the immigrants. That's what these fascist pseudo-parties do and that's how the do gain votes.

The society is pure hypocrisy. When things are going well, the immigrants are paid, and not with the biggest salaries and working conditions, to make, generally, the worst jobs but when the economy is in a difficult situation nobody wants them confused.gif

BnB
  • BnB

The Yardies

• Members

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (Stephan123 @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 17:21)

They say what simple people (lower class) want to hear, they criticize the other parties mostly the two, which pretty much led the country to recession, and the media accusing them of serving the purposes of the government (which is not very far from reality). Also, they offer meals to poor greek people and they support them in general. For example, taking advantage of the inability of the police to deal with criminality, people can call them as they would the police especially for cases involving immigrants and sometimes they are the last resort. As you can see that's a pretty easy way to earn votes. Finally, they accuse the immigrants as the cause of the unemployment, which is not true because most of them work where the greeks will not.

OmegaEvolution
  • OmegaEvolution

Royalty

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

I think the fact that when the Euro was introduced to Germany they didn't destroy their old currency speaks volumes about their thoughts on the EU.

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (BeyondRage @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 15:46)
I think the fact that when the Euro was introduced to Germany they didn't destroy their old currency speaks volumes about their thoughts on the EU.

Not sure, I think they only kept the notes. Thanks for that.

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (BnB @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 15:45)

They say what simple people (lower class) want to hear, they criticize the other parties mostly the two, which pretty much led the country to recession, and the media accusing them of serving the purposes of the government (which is not very far from reality). Also, they offer meals to poor greek people and they support them in general. For example, taking advantage of the inability of the police to deal with criminality, people can call them as they would the police especially for cases involving immigrants and sometimes they are the last resort. As you can see that's a pretty easy way to earn votes. Finally, they accuse the immigrants as the cause of the unemployment, which is not true because most of them work where the greeks will not.

What do you think, if everything goes on the same way? Will there be a point where the government will be overthrown by the people violently?

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:59 PM Edited by Fireman, 12 May 2013 - 04:14 PM.

Language = German

Capital = Den Haag

Woohooo! Also to all the above; You're REALLY bad at answering hypothetical questions.

BnB
  • BnB

The Yardies

• Members

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (Stephan123 @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 17:52)
QUOTE (BnB @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 15:45)

What do you think, if everything goes on the same way? Will there be a point where the government will be overthrown by the people violently?

I don't think this will ever happen to be honest, unless things get a lot worse.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users