43 replies to this topic
Chris Fromage
  • Chris Fromage

Homie

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

Blasts kill dozens in Turkish town Reyhanli on Syria border

Twin car bombs have killed 40 people and injured 100 in the Turkish town of Reyhanli, near the Syrian border.

Interior Minister Muammer Guler told Turkey's NTV the bombs had gone off near the town hall and post office.

Video showed injured people being carried to safety amid shattered buildings and twisted wrecks of cars.

No group has said it had carried out the attack, but a top member of the Turkish government suggested Syrian involvement.

UK foreign secretary

"Our thoughts are that their Mukhabarat [the Syrian intelligence agency] and armed organisations are the usual suspects in planning and the carrying out of such devilish plans," Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc said.

Reyhanli is an entry-point for refugees from the war in Syria and local people attacked cars with Syrian number-plates and Syrian refugees after the attack, according to local media.

The Turkish government has been a key supporter of the Syrian opposition, and has allowed rebels as well as refugees on to its territory.

Nato Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen condemned the bombing in a statement as "despicable" and said the organisation stood by Turkey, a member of the alliance.

'So many'

Hours after the initial blasts, reports came in of a third blast in a residential area but the government said it was the fuel tank of a car exploding and not connected to the attacks.

It appears that the first bombs went off 15 minutes apart and video posted on Turkish media shows people running to help victims of the first when there is the sound of a second explosion.

Emergency services looked for possible victims buried under the debris.

"I was sitting in my pharmacy and suddenly we heard a massive explosion," eyewitness Ismail Akin told Reuters news agency.

"When I looked from my window I saw wounded people and dead bodies."

Another witness, Hayrullah Bal, said: "We were a bit far away from the explosions, it suddenly happened and everybody started to run. It was so strong that all the windows shattered."
'All necessary measures'

Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said his country would protect itself.

Mr Davutoglu, who was visiting Berlin, said: "There may be those who want to sabotage Turkey's peace, but we will not allow that.

"No-one should attempt to test Turkey's power. Our security forces will take all necessary measures."

He added that the blasts had taken place to deflect attention from efforts to solve the Syrian crisis.

UK Foreign Secretary William Hague sent a message of solidarity to the people of Turkey.

"Appalling explosions in Reyhanli, Turkey," he wrote on Twitter. "My thoughts are with family & friends of the victims. We stand with the people of Turkey."

In a statement quoted by Reuters, US ambassador to Turkey Francis Ricciardone said: "The United States strongly condemns today's vicious attack, and stands with the people and government of Turkey to identify the perpetrators and bring them to justice."

The border area of Reyhanli has itself been attacked in recent months.

In February, an explosion near the town killed 17 people and wounded 30.

Five people were killed last October when a mortar round hit the Turkish border town of Akcakale.

Long story short:
A bomb attack in Turkey, there are now 42 deaths and ore then 100 people are injured. It is unkown who did it.

The bombs were not simple bombs. I saw the location and it is impossible that it is done by terrorists. My Idea is that Syria has something to do with it.

Thoughts?

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

Syrian rebels could have done it to compel the Turks to intervene in the Civil War.
I'd hope not, but their whole campaign has become very murky indeed.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:19 PM Edited by RoadRunner71, 11 May 2013 - 06:24 PM.

The f*cking human race is crazy, just conflicts and more conflicts.

I wouldn't dare to say who has been the responsible, Syrian regime (probably, they even have a religious style war with the rebels, since they are from different branchs of Islam), jihadists (that scum is everywhere...), maybe even a branch of the PKK that don't accept to leave Turkey, though I don't know if bombing is their method confused.gif

EDIT: like Typhus has said, maybe even a group of the Syrian rebels, seems the whole Syrian opposition is quite fragmented, there are even some jihadist of Al Qaeda (just a minor part), which doesn't mean that the whole opposition are terrorists. I hope the revolution doesn't turn in some religious bullsh*t...

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

Don't Mind Me...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

Wow. That wasn't quite what I was expecting to see today.

Too bad.

Chris Fromage
  • Chris Fromage

Homie

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (The Pizza Delivery Guy @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 18:23)
Wow. That wasn't quite what I was expecting to see today.

Too bad.

Indeed,
There have been a few bomb attacks there in turkey. And those never had more then 10 deaths.
This was really unexpected. And specially since the PKK stopped, Everyone thought the war was over...

Chris Fromage
  • Chris Fromage

Homie

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

Update:

43 deaths now. Turkey confirmed it was an attack by Asads men.
Turkish F16s are ready to attack multiple military areas in syria.

I think this won't and well...

Raavi
  • Raavi

Z

• European-Union
  • Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (Chris Fromage @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 19:42)
Update:

43 deaths now. Turkey confirmed it was an attack by Asads men.
Turkish F16s are ready to attack multiple military areas in syria.

I think this won't and well...

I'm sure it won't and well. For Syria that is.

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Love For Sale

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

And again the Syrian Army gets blamed for the terrorist's actions.

This was a terrorist bombing folks. the syrian army have no reason to bomb turkey. last thing they need is another feud. Thats what Turkey gets for funding terrorists. we all knew the conflict was gonna escalate outside of Syria.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

I shall revoke the throne, atop the stellar tree

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 19:16)
Syrian rebels could have done it to compel the Turks to intervene in the Civil War.

The Turkish government are already bankrolling the Syrian opposition. Far more likely the Syrian foreign intelligence agency. They've got a history of running clandestine operations- though historically South of their borders rather than North of them. Plenty of evidence to suggest them behind mass-casualty attacks in Israel over the last couple of decades, no great stretch to see them conducting operations in Turkey given that they're gradually losing control of their nation and hold all of their neighbours responsible.

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:45 PM

Assad needs overthrown already, he's done too much damage. Hopefully Turkish intervention will end this once and for all.

LewisMiller
  • LewisMiller

Luton Tannnnnn

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

FSA are just your typical terrorists trying to take over, SAA are still bad but a lot better than FSA.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

I shall revoke the throne, atop the stellar tree

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (LewisMiller @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 20:59)
FSA are just your typical terrorists trying to take over, SAA are still bad but a lot better than FSA.

FSA aren't really a defined force. They consist of a variety of pretty decent irregular armies, and a few pretty nasty Islamist terrorist organisations. It isn't really fair to look at them or judge them as a cohesive movement. Because, quite simply, they aren't.

Toke
  • Toke

Shadow Staff

• Members
  • NATO
  • Contribution Award [Gangs]

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:13 PM

Well now we get to see just how much Assad's loyalists REALLY support him. I'm willing to bet that once any serious military effort by the Turkish military begins the Syrian military infrastructure will begin to fall as they see their situation is now hopeless.

The rebels on the other hand, I'm not sure how they'd react. Sure some sects of the resistance will greet the Turks with open arms but I see the more radical Islamic portions (including Al Qaeda) reacting with guns drawn.

Elesdee95
  • Elesdee95

Nocturnal

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

Oh if it was USA this topic would have reached at least 20 pages by now.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (Elesdee95 @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 20:56)

That's true, there are too many disaster worldwide that practically go unnoticed while other, of a much smaller scale, gets an excessive media coverage, it's sad.

WHAT!?
  • WHAT!?

chkn butt

• The Precinct
  • United-States
  • Best Member Named after a Stone Cold Steve Austin Catchphrase

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (Elesdee95 @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 15:56)

Quite a few of the more active members of this forum are from the United States, England, etc... Many world wide news organizations call these areas home. When something happens close to you're home people tend to care more. You want to bitch about lack of interest go get more middle eastern people registered on GTAForums. f*ck. Sorry Syria bombed Turkey, its a horrible tragedy, but at the end of the day it means f*ck all for most of us. Which is why a lot of you little asshats that like to badmouth us no matter what we do, tend to pop in to talk sh*t so often. You're not from the U.S. you don't care about us, I get it. Awesome stuff. If we try to lend aid were playing world police. If we do nothing were cold hearted pricks, and now if every bombing of every country doesn't instantly reach twenty pages its a U.S. conspiracy against brown people.

barf8bd.gif

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Love For Sale

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (Toke @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 20:13)
Well now we get to see just how much Assad's loyalists REALLY support him. I'm willing to bet that once any serious military effort by the Turkish military begins the Syrian military infrastructure will begin to fall as they see their situation is now hopeless.

The rebels on the other hand, I'm not sure how they'd react. Sure some sects of the resistance will greet the Turks with open arms but I see the more radical Islamic portions (including Al Qaeda) reacting with guns drawn.

The Turkish military wont get involved because this wasnt the work of the Syrian government, Turkey knows this. like i said before attacking turkey now would be foolish. before you point your fingers and say Syria did it can any of you give one reason why would the Syrian regime bomb turkey? which is more logical, that the Syrian army who is already got his hands tied fighting the rebels bombed turkey, or al Qaeda branches stationed in syria did it? if only people didn't believe everything the media says.

Tyler
  • Tyler

tempora labuntur

• None
  • Best Poem 2014
    Best Story 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

A worthless regime indeed if Assad was behind this. I do hope the Turkish government doesn't react recklessly, but it doesn't seem like much less than war will be sufficient blowback for something like this. If it's all the same, my heart does go out to the people who were senselessly murdered and maimed in this event. As much as I dislike the idea of it, I'm certain comparisons will be made to the Boston bombing all over the internet.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

As bad as it sounds, I think an invasion is the only way this whole business is going to have a happy ending.
If Assad wins, the Syrians will suffer the same tyranny they laboured under to begin with. If the Rebels win, the Jihadists will fight the Secularists in a second Civil War, more people will die and - in all likelihood - it will result in a new dictatorship, whether that be theocratic or a military junta.

An invasion, the rooting out of Assad and Islamist alike, is the only way Syria can have this end well. And even then there's the likelihood of a dedicated insurgency affiliated with al Queda.

Chris Fromage
  • Chris Fromage

Homie

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (Majestic81 @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 19:27)
And again the Syrian Army gets blamed for the terrorist's actions.

This was a terrorist bombing folks. the syrian army have no reason to bomb turkey. last thing they need is another feud. Thats what Turkey gets for funding terrorists. we all knew the conflict was gonna escalate outside of Syria.

I don't think it was a terrorist attack. The bombs used in this attack are much powerful then what terrorists normally use. And it was plannend in details, an very weak but important places. I don't think i have seen a terrorist attack like that.

Besides of that, the city were this happened was a city with lots of Syrians and it was also a place Where Turkey collected supplies to send to Syria.

Last thing, I do think assad would do this because he is getting crazy. He knows his death is near, but doesn't accept that. He becomes mad and he starts blames others for everything (for example Turkey and Israel.)

But these are nu thoughts of course and I respect yours too wink.gif

Chris Fromage
  • Chris Fromage

Homie

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:12 PM Edited by Chris Fromage, 11 May 2013 - 11:35 PM.

Update: Turkish F16s attacked syria, 130+ deaths confirmed. More planes are ready for a second attack soon.

Am I the only One who follows this? Japenese doesn't talk about anything else since the bomb attack... tounge.gif

Edit: Wrong news. Don't believe it, my news channel had a musunderstanding between Ankara and their studio. (atleast, according to them)

GTA_stu
  • GTA_stu

tREEEEEE!!!

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Unfunniest Member 2013
    Unfunniest Member 2012

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE (Chris Fromage @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 22:12)
Update: Turkish F16s attacked syria, 130+ deaths confirmed. More planes are ready for a second attack soon.

Am I the only One who follows this? Japenese doesn't talk about anything else since the bomb attack... tounge.gif

Have you got a link for that? I can't find it anywhere.

LewisMiller
  • LewisMiller

Luton Tannnnnn

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 20:02)
QUOTE (LewisMiller @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 20:59)

FSA aren't really a defined force. They consist of a variety of pretty decent irregular armies, and a few pretty nasty Islamist terrorist organisations. It isn't really fair to look at them or judge them as a cohesive movement. Because, quite simply, they aren't.

The videos i've seen on Liveleak on what the 'Rebels' have done/are doing are NSFL even if >1% of them arr extremists I wouldn't want them anywhere near power.

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:45 PM Edited by Gtaghost22, 11 May 2013 - 10:50 PM.

Source? I can't find this anywhere; not even twitter.

Chris Fromage
  • Chris Fromage

Homie

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE (Gtaghost22 @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 22:45)

Source? I can't find this anywhere; not even twitter.

Saw it on tv, on Fuji News Network.

GTA_stu
  • GTA_stu

tREEEEEE!!!

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Unfunniest Member 2013
    Unfunniest Member 2012

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:24 PM

Something tells me you actually made that up.

Chris Fromage
  • Chris Fromage

Homie

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 23:24)
Something tells me you actually made that up.

More like Fuji who made it up... dozingoff.gif
They call it a misunderstanding between the studio and there intels in Ankara. Well, guess who isn't going to watch that channel again...

Sorry about that,
Thanks to them, I am a liar now. But I will search for that scene again to prove I just didn't mess with you folks. smile.gif

Grove Street Balla
  • Grove Street Balla

Kakashi.

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:35 PM

so 170 deaths total ?

Chris Fromage
  • Chris Fromage

Homie

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE (Grove Street Balla @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 23:35)
so 170 deaths total ?

No, it was a lie (misunderstanding in media language) of a news channel I watched. Forget what I wrote. Those guys are just like Fox news, spreading lies to get more views...

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:35 AM

Terrible sh*t. People killing people, for what? A waste of life, both the lost and whoever would do this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users