Photo

Games to play before Grand Theft Auto V

72 replies to this topic
Wheatley
  • Wheatley

it's dark in some places, but sunny everywhere else

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:38 PM Edited by Wheatley, 09 May 2013 - 08:58 PM.

I known this must be a "useless" thread but I decided to make a (somewhat) comprehensive list of game titles to play that have similar features to Grand Theft Auto V. If you would like to expand this list then please do!

I want to play a game that has a wide open world to explore

user posted image

Just Cause 2: This game is well known for being one of the few games to have a wide, expansive open world. This title is perfect for you if you like the “craziness” of Grand Theft Auto and the sand-box type gameplay. The map is broken up into different environments including a massive desert, mountain ranges, two cities and a few jungles placed here and there. Although the game doesn’t have a licensed soundtrack like Grand Theft Auto V, you’ll enjoy the ambient soundtrack that plays when you glide through the air in your parachute. The parachute itself is a key item in the game. You can use it as many times as you want with no penalty and it’s one of the many reasons why many enjoyed this game. The game takes a while to complete seeing as the story itself is only about 25-30% of the game completion while the games score “Chaos”

Also in development is a multiplayer mod for the PC which should add a lot of replay value to the game.

Available on: PC, Xbox 360 and PS3

I want a game that allows me to see what the “Switch” Mechanic feels like!

user posted image

Driver San Francisco: The long awaited sequel to the “infamous” Driver series known to be mocked a plenty by Rockstar, went under a drastic change when the “getting out of cars” mechanic was taken out and replaced with a mysterious Shift feature. This allows the player to shift in and out of cars at will, placing the camera above the city allowing you to view San Francisco and shift back into cars anywhere you like. This game also features a wide, open area to drive around - clocking in at 208 miles of road leaving you with lots of space to work with. The driving physics is very reminiscent of 70’s car chase movies allowing you to drift and curve around corners very easily. You might have fun with the in-game replay editor too. You can film clips and edit them with ease; you can create your own car-chase movie with a few presses of buttons.

Available on: PC, Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii

I want to know what it feels like to pull off a heist!

user posted image

PayDay The Heist: Is a first-person shooter, 4 player co-op game that allows you to pull off a series of “heists” with aid of your friends online. This game is very similar to VALVe Software’s Left 4 Dead and even got its own DLC level set before the first level of the game. There are 7 different heists to play through ranging from a bank to ambushing a prison transport. The game includes a lot of variation of events including the location of various items relevant to the heist or keycodes that might or might not work. Players have to be on their toes at all times as these different events can trip the player and the rest of team up resulting in the failure of the heist.

Available on: PC and PS3

I want an all out crazy experience!

user posted image

Saints Row Series: This series is well known for being completely over the top in both gameplay and it's writing. Nowadays this is the game that is somewhat competing with the Grand Theft Auto series in being the top "Sandbox" game. You start off a gangstar and work your way up to become the boss of the Third Street Saints! Each game in the series includes a variety of things to do including "Insurance Fruad" where you ragdoll you character into many things as possible or "Septic Avenger" where you shoot feces at buildings for cash. Also the game has been praised for it's extensive character customization allowing you to create whoever you want!

Available on: PC, Xbox 360 and PS3.

I want an awesome story!

user posted image

Sleeping Dogs: This game started out as True Crime: Hong Kong, later renamed to just True Crime. It was cancelled by Activision but later acquired by Square Enix who gave it a fresh coat of paint and renamed it to Sleeping Dogs. The combat flows extremely well allowing you to stitch together intense and brutal combos. The driving mechanics are very tight and feel like a driving game like Forza or Need For Speed and the shooting doesn't feel constrained and clunky. The story is based on "Infernal Affairs" and you play as an undercover cop called Wei Shen in a open-world Hong Kong.

Available on: PC, Xbox 360 and PS3.

If you think you know any games that are similar in features to GTA V then please post them below (you can also include any previous GTA games too)! Also, apologies for any mistakes or sloppiness here and there - I've been extremely tired for the past few days and I just wanted to make this thread before I forget about it.

ChronoStinger
  • ChronoStinger

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

well i'm going to try Saints Row 4 when it comes out approximately month before GTAV debut on this gen consoles! meanwhile i'm playing other games, which take time to complete such as massive open world games like Skyrim, New Vegas (Fallout) etc...

Wheatley
  • Wheatley

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (ChronoStinger @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 20:41)
well i'm going to try Saints Row 4 when it comes out approximately month before GTAV debut on this gen consoles!

How could I forget Saints row? Thank you for reminding me!

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:43 PM Edited by gtamann123, 09 May 2013 - 08:45 PM.

That's cool. Each dynamic of the game is displayed in those games so it's a good way to get a subtitle taste of what it will be like.

I personally and going to play a variety of games that aren't necessarily related to GTA V but are action games and will give me some practice on the PS3 since its a new system for me and what I'm going to Play V on.

My personal list includes:

GTA IV+EFLC (Replay)
Red Dead Redemption (Replay)
Uncharted Trilogy
The Last Of Us
GTA San Andreas (Replay)
Saints Row: The Third (maybe)
Assassins Creed 3 (Maybe)

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, I always carry my heat in these streets

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:43 PM Edited by Official General, 09 May 2013 - 09:06 PM.

I want to play and finish on my PS3 before GTA V comes out:

Assassin's Creed 3

Heavy Rain (old, yes I know, but need to finish it)

Metal Gear Solid 4 (even older yes, but I still have not finished it)

Fight Night Champion

And I want one more playthrough of :

GTA IV+EFLC

Red Dead Redemption.

@ ChronoStinger

Saints Row 4 ?? I'm not even going anywhere near that garbage and joke of a game. I didn't even give SR3 one shred of attention.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

I'm still wondering if I should get Sleeping Dogs... Is it good? Is it worth getting? Anyone?

ChronoStinger
  • ChronoStinger

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE (Official General @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 20:43)

Assassin's Creed 3

Fight Night Champion

GTA IV+EFLC

Red Dead Redemption.

@ ChronoStinger

Saints Row 4 ?? I'm even going anywhere near that garbage and joke of a game. I didn't give SR3 one shred of attention.

well i'll just play it to kill some time i don't think i'm going to be a fan of that game, but its just something new to spend my time on, while i'm charging my energy fuel for GTAV! ...i didn't like SR3 myself, but still played it a bit and tired of it after single playthrough! Saints Row 2 was wayyy better in my eyes!

Werebot85 SD is garbage! ...nothing is good about that game, except for fighting mechanics, which is admittedly awesome!...

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

I have nothing to play. I'm thinking about The last of Us, but I'm not sure if it will meet my expectations.

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

The games I'll be buying don't play like GTA games so can't list them really but f*ck it. tounge.gif

The Last of Us(June 14th)
user posted image

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 remix(September 13th)
user posted image

Pleasure_Pier
  • Pleasure_Pier

Cult Member

• Members

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

My list:

GTA IV

Red Dead Redemption

Max Payne 3

Masher8559
  • Masher8559

Hustler

• Members

QUOTE (Werebot85 @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 20:46)
I'm still wondering if I should get Sleeping Dogs... Is it good? Is it worth getting? Anyone?

Yes. It's no GTA, but its great fun and a decent story. Enjoyable combat system too.

Not to mention, they drive on the correct side of the road. cool.gif

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Yeah it's pretty good. I sink quite a few hours into it but my game is broken and it's freezes at the same exact point in a mission so it's impossible for me to beat it so in done playing. But whole it worked I liked it a lot. I would recommend playing it to get some more GTA style entertainment.

Wheatley
  • Wheatley

• Members
  • Scotland

It's actually quite good. The combat is very similar to Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City, the driving feels like something out of Forza and Need for Speed and the shooting doesn't feel clunky.

Although the game is sort of short in length but with the DLC out I'm sure you could have a blast with it.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

QUOTE (ChronoStinger @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 20:47)
QUOTE (Official General @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 20:43)

Assassin's Creed 3

Fight Night Champion

GTA IV+EFLC

Red Dead Redemption.

@ ChronoStinger

Saints Row 4 ?? I'm even going anywhere near that garbage and joke of a game. I didn't give SR3 one shred of attention.

well i'll just play it to kill some time i don't think i'm going to be a fan of that game, but its just something new to spend my time on, while i'm charging my energy fuel for GTAV! ...i didn't like SR3 myself, but still played it a bit and tired of it after single playthrough! Saints Row 2 was wayyy better in my eyes!

I actually own Saints Row 2. It started okay as a nice alternative to GTA IV at the time, but then later it just felt a bit too cartoony and gimmicky. I did not finish it.

SR1 was probably the best one of them all, but I only played it a few times.

ScotchMouth
  • ScotchMouth

Single malt no ice

• Members

If people haven't already they should really go through all the GTA's especially since they are readily available on the marketplace/PSStore and Steam. Especially exploring and completing 3, VC and SA. If you broke it down and did a little each day that could really stretch out time.

I am also going to go through Red Dead again to take in the map as a whole. I haven't played it since it came out.

ChronoStinger
  • ChronoStinger

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

I have no respect towards anyone, who plays Condom Hearts...its silly childish game with silly childish cartoon characters!...its MY opinion...i know you didn't ask for it, but i don't ask if i should give my opinion or not, i'm just GIVING it...

zainzombie
  • zainzombie

PRE-ORDER CANCELLED! *sob sob*

• Members

Get it! Its a solid 8/10 IMO.

On topic:

The Last of us and RDR again. Also maybe I will start Bioshock Infinite again but with so much info regarding V, I just cannot think of any other game.

Alfabutt
  • Alfabutt

Mark Chump

• Members

It is indeed buddy sure u can find it cheap on the net at around 10-15 pound or 15-20 USD lol loads of lil features in it will make u say as if theyve added that lol.

lazy.
  • lazy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (Wheatley @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 20:49)
driving feels like something out of Forza and Need for Speed

It's obvious you've never played any Forza or NFS games.

Sleeping Dogs handling feels like sitting on a chair and trying to push it along a metal floor.

@other dude

Don't get Sleeping Dogs, it's extremely short and alot of the content was cut and resold as DLC. Story can be done in one sitting, cutscenes and occasional sidetracking included.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

Ok thanks!! (Not gonna quote everyone)

So the majority think Sleeping Dogs is pretty cool... icon14.gif I'll get it then!

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

If you are considering getting Saints Row IV, please watch this video:

If you are still going to get it after that, kindly leave quietly.

Noclue_42
  • Noclue_42

How much for the ape?!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

quality games to pass time until september? certainly not Sainst Row....that sh*t reeks of mediocre...sorry but that's how I see it.
people interested in deep, quality gaming should have played at least:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R (Shadow Of Tschernobyl & Call of Pripyat)
Max Payne (the whole franchise)
Red Dead Redemption
Alan Wake + American Nightmare
L.A. Noire
GTA III to IV
Skyrim (I recall brewing magical potions and forging rings and amuletts for HOURS....this game is a TIME EATER)

ChronoStinger
  • ChronoStinger

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 20:55)
QUOTE (Wheatley @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 20:49)
driving feels like something out of Forza and Need for Speed

It's obvious you've never played any Forza or NFS games.

Sleeping Dogs handling feels like sitting on a chair and trying to push it along a metal floor.

@other dude

Don't get Sleeping Dogs, it's extremely short and alot of the content was cut and resold as DLC. Story can be done in one sitting, cutscenes and occasional sidetracking included.

i SECOND this! SD is freaking horrible! guaranteed it is one of those cases, when money wasted into recycle bin!...

Noclue_42
  • Noclue_42

How much for the ape?!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 20:56)
If you are considering getting Saints Row IV, please watch this video:

If you are still going to get it after that, kindly leave quietly.

oh god.....If i had a boner before watching this clip my dick would be softer than vanilla ice right now.....what a waste of manpower and money for a company to produce some sh*t like that.....the dubstep gun??? bored.gif

Saints Row is kinda like CoD...I sometimes think you have to be braindead to find enjoyment in such games...but then I remember that my fellow humans aren't the brightetst and that they have some pretty weird taste when it comes to entertainment....

Wheatley
  • Wheatley

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

Although Saints Row has gone downhill recently, Saints Row 2 is still the best in the series. It has a perfect mix of silliness and seriousness. The customization wasn't dumbed down and it improved on its sequel in every possible way.

-Wheatley

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (Werebot85 @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 21:46)

The story is one of the best of open world gaming, the end especially! smile.gif

Villaran
  • Villaran

VillaranGTAV

• Members

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

- L.A. Noire

- Tomb Raider

- Max Payne 3

- Bioshock Infinite

biggrin.gif

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (Noclue_42 @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 21:57)
Skyrim (I recall brewing magical potions and forging rings and amuletts for HOURS....this game is a TIME EATER)

I spent a while with this doing the main quests and side quests however unlike Oblivion: Game of the year version I found myself ditching Skyrim quick. I played until around a month after release and have not played it since. With the legendary edition coming out soon I think I'll be trading in Skyrim for that and paying the difference. Maybe the DLC that i've yet to play will suck me back in as The Shivering Isles is the best expansion pack I've played to date I'd say it's even better than the base game. Sure DLC isn't the same as expansions but the more content the better and I want it all on disk.

ChronoStinger
  • ChronoStinger

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (Wheatley @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 21:03)
Although Saints Row has gone downhill recently, Saints Row 2 is still the best in the series. It has a perfect mix of silliness and seriousness. The customization wasn't dumbed down and it improved on its sequel in every possible way.

-Wheatley

agree here totally! ...Volition betrayed their loyal fanbase (thats thanks to whom they become somewhat successful on the first place...) and trade them for newer fanbase, because previous SR installements didn't leave up to their expectations, so Volition dumbed it down to no extent, turning somewhat decent GTA clone into an abomination!

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (Villaran @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 21:05)
[b]- L.A. Noire

I deliberately still have not played LA Noire for a few reasons.

Because it's already set in LA, I wanna save my current-gen video game familiarity with LA for GTA V. I'm not really that interested in LA Noire anyway, so I probably will never play it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users