Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• United-Kingdom
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

Took 'm long enough. Although this probably will lead to a decline of traffic and thus views. As a huge chunk of their daily "audience" is below the age of 18 and uses it because it's free entertainment. Besides, the accessibility for all demographics and economical standards is what made youtube big in the first place, now if they're gonna restrict parts for paying users this basically will be gone. Youtube made homeless and poor people into international celebrities. Higher production quality is nice but not for youtube.

Icarus
  • Icarus

[C9] Orthonormal

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (Harley @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 03:45)
QUOTE (finn4life @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 09:25)
QUOTE (LewisMiller @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 19:08)
Probably because ad blocker ruined their ad revenue.

I don't get why people couldn't sit through 8 seconds of adverts.

8 seconds? I was getting at least 30 seconds.

This was my biggest beef. I'd watch a 90 second clip on YouTube, but I'd have to watch a 30 second ad beforehand, which seemed a little overkill for watching a clip that's not even two minutes.

AdBlock is a blessing.

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

I will turn your life upside down!

• The Yardies

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE (Icarus @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 16:48)
QUOTE (Harley @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 03:45)

8 seconds? I was getting at least 30 seconds.

This was my biggest beef. I'd watch a 90 second clip on YouTube, but I'd have to watch a 30 second ad beforehand, which seemed a little overkill for watching a clip that's not even two minutes.

AdBlock is a blessing.

I really don't care about the ads that play over the video that much. They are annoying, BUT not as f*ckING ANNOYING AS THOSE VIDEO ADS THAT APPEAR ON THE SIDE OF THE SCREEN WITH SOUND PLAYING AS YOU WATCH YOUR VIDEO!!

Sorry about caps, but sh*t that makes me close the pages. There is 4 of the same ad on the side playing in the background about some cleaning supplies with sound as you watch your video, you cannot even hear the video you are watching, and muting it does not help as it refreshes the advertisements as well.

That is why I use ad blocker.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 02:25)

I've been using AdBlocker and NoScript for so long that I didn't even know YouTube had implemented ads until someone told me.

I used to see those comments like "8 second ads for 30 second videos make me mad!" but I didn't get it.
maybe I just assumed that ads were only for people accessing YouTube from a foreign country IP, because I definitely never saw them.

either way I really doubt that AdBlocker is the reason why YT is going for subscriptions.
this move was a long time coming. it was only natural. YT knows that it has created semi-famous personalities who will generate revenue simply by continuing to upload videos. this news shouldn't surprise anyone.

Burbalade
  • Burbalade

Ebay Wizard

• Members

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 08:25)

Probably when you're required to watch a 30 second ad before watching a 60 second commercial from 1992, then you forget you're not signed in and go to like the video half way through, which takes you the sign in page, after which you hit back and are forced to watch the same 30 second ad again.

If their profits are hurting from ad blockers, then stop paying as much to youtube partners, and don't run so many ads that anyone without an ad blocker is almost driven insane.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Zaibatsu
  • Japan

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (DeeperRed @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 07:08)
Don't see what everyone is whinning about, it's not like all channels will be subscription and I am sure it would be up to the content provider as well.

This. I mean, YouTube says it's going to introduce paid subscription for channels, and everyone automatically assumes YouTube is becoming pay to watch. It will be at the discretion of the channel owner, as far as I know. Ergo, most videos will still be free to watch, with ads. And even then, "paid channels" probably won't have the same pricing structure, which will probably be, again, at the owner's discretion. As I understand, you'd still be able to watch the videos for free, but have to watch ads, or you could subscribe to the "paid" version of the channel you want, and get videos with no ads, or subscribe to free version of channels, which will still have ads. At least, that would be the logical way.

GTA 360
  • GTA 360

LIVE WITH IT OR DIE FROM IT.

• Members

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 08:25)

1 and a half minutes of adverts, on a 1 minute video, taking up my broadband limit and therefore costing me more money if I go over, so f*ck you and f*ck Youtube I'm going to use adblocker so get stuffed and shove it.

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

Why would anyone pay to subscribe to a Youtuber? Can't we just search his/her content anyway? Yes, less convenient but who cares.

Linc.
  • Linc.

Betty, don't start up with your white zone sh*t again.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 22:11)
@Lzw3, I think you misread, there will only be about 50 channels with the subscription fee.

Yes, possibly at first. But i guarantee you if they go through with this and have 50 or so subscription fees they'll end up having more and more and before you know it half the channels you're already subscribed to need to be paid monthly.

If they don't add more within two years I will post I will post a picture of my bottom.

Hold it against me all you want.

Joe Chip
  • Joe Chip

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

If it's like with the movies they have up that are pay-to-watch then I doubt this is going to be very successful. People will gravitate away from channels that are pay-to-watch, and those channels will get at most 20% of the views they were getting before, and it'll all be forgotten in the couple weeks after it launches.

And f*ck that finn, companies are selling the minds and money of the consumers when they deal in advertising space. If youtube wants to make money by filling their viewers heads with crap about how they should buy old spice and progressive insurance, then the viewers should have some option of protection against it.

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:50 PM

There's always DailyMotion and Vimeo...

ChopTheDog.
  • ChopTheDog.

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:29 PM

If this does affect the channels you're already subscribed to then I'd just unsubscribe, LOL

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 10:58)
QUOTE (Harley @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 20:45)

8 seconds? I was getting at least 30 seconds. Which is fine the first time but when I'm going through a few songs at a time and there are ads on every single one, my teeth start to grind. I have no patience when it comes to computers. I only really use YouTube for music, but I couldn't give two sh*ts if AdBlock left some uploaders out of pocket. You want money, get a real job.

I had a few 30 second ads, but 90% I could skip, my problem with people blocking them is youtube doesn't make as much money, they're going to try re-cooperate it elsewhere. Who cares about the uploaders.

Also I'd like to know why making videos for Youtube isn't a real "Job". And before you ask, no I have never uploaded to youtube.

I wasn't going to. Call it a real job if you want, I honestly don't care enough to get into a thing about it.

90% of YouTube is bullsh*t anyway. They should feed the subscription money back into the government and call it a moron tax.

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Zaibatsu

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE (lzw3 @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 21:16)
QUOTE (finn4life @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 22:11)
@Lzw3, I think you misread, there will only be about 50 channels with the subscription fee.

Yes, possibly at first. But i guarantee you if they go through with this and have 50 or so subscription fees they'll end up having more and more and before you know it half the channels you're already subscribed to need to be paid monthly.

If they don't add more within two years I will post I will post a picture of my bottom.

Hold it against me all you want.

So if they are not worth your money then just stop watching. They can't be that great if payment completely deters you from watching, it sucks you might miss out on something but it clearly had little value to you can't pay a small fee. Also no doubt people will lose many subscribers and someone will come along and do the same thing for free because there are a sh*t load of content providers who do it mostly because they love doing it.

I think some content providers could be in for a shock though, lots of stuff is great free because it comes with no monetary attachment which itself is part of the whole entertainment of the piece. I myself follow quite a few people but I would be willing to cut them if they asked me to pay.

Apex.
  • Apex.

Alright?

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:04 PM

No need to worry, it's all sh*t

http://www.youtube.c...s/paid_channels

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:32 AM

^ Interesting, I see where they're taking it now. Paid channelsare most likely dedicated to things like documentaries which probably don't rate as well on TV because they're being uploaded to things like YouTube. Perhaps there will even be like a fox channel you can subscribe to to watch Simpsons clips.

Iwasn't going to. Call it areal job if you want, I honestly don't care enough to get into athing about it.

Look,I don't think it really is a real job either, at least not the people who just make game play commentaries. Properly produced channels such as Ray William Johnson are more so, it'd be like producing a TV show.

1and ahalf minutes of adverts, on a1 minute video, taking up my broadband limit and therefore costing me more money if I go over, so f*ck you and f*ck Youtube I'm going to use adblocker so get stuffed and shove it.

Once again, I'm going to tell you to chill out. I was genuinely curious on how people felt about advertisements,I deliberately worded my question to get an honest reaction, but I don't think I should get f*cked just for that.

I know what you all mean when you are watching video after video and have to watch adverts every time, it can get bothersome, it was when I watched a lot of YouTube.

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 06:11)
QUOTE (Killerdude8 @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 22:10)

In what universe were those ads EVER 8 seconds? The shortest Ad I had EVER got, was around 1:20. In most cases, Longer than the video I wanted to watch!!

In my universe bro, almost every single advert I get has a skip after 5 seconds option, the longest ones are only 30 seconds.

Can I piggyback on your life?
What f*cking luck you have..

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (Killerdude8 @ Friday, May 10 2013, 21:03)
QUOTE (finn4life @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 06:11)
QUOTE (Killerdude8 @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 22:10)

In what universe were those ads EVER 8 seconds? The shortest Ad I had EVER got, was around 1:20. In most cases, Longer than the video I wanted to watch!!

In my universe bro, almost every single advert I get has a skip after 5 seconds option, the longest ones are only 30 seconds.

Can I piggyback on your life?
What f*cking luck you have..

You don't even know What luck is till you been in my shoes wink.gif

Darrel
  • Darrel

Reported!

• Members

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

I couldnt give a sh*t as long as it doesnt effect smaller channels., All these partners are overrated and i dont watch them, not because i am stubborn, but because they dont interest me. Most of these guys talk about a popular video and turn that into their video about themselfs making money.

I use youtube for music, and piano tutorials. And boxing.

RED_
  • RED_

Homie

• Members

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:12 PM

Greedy twats. Depending on how things go, I bet they'll allow the feature to be open to everyone. I.e I can go and decide if I wanted my channel to me paid or not.

They make enough money as it is, from YouTube no less. I have no problem if they are just adding stuff that's already paid elsewhere. For example sports channels or stuff like that. So you can watch F1/Football or whatever other sport on Youtube if you pay. Because you would pay for it already. It's just an easier way to do it.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

The paid-subscriptions are optional for big channels, it's not mandatory but yeah it's sucky.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users