Photo

The best places you've been too

25 replies to this topic
Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:49 AM

So I'm just curious to read where many of you all have traveled before. Pictures are allowed, but I don't have any myself.
--------------------------------

The best place I've been to was the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, North Carolina:
user posted image
My aunts, sister, and I went there back in July 2011 and it was a truly unforgettable experience. Even getting there was awfully scenic and fun. We took US Route 74 and Interstate 26 to get there and it was awesome cutting through the Blue Ridge Mountains, seeing the nice cars along the way - I remember spotting a Quattroporte.
And then being there, I will never forget it. The architecture, the lavish interior, all of it was so beautiful. I remember looking over the balcony and gawking at the priceless view of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
The most interesting part of the tour was getting to see all of the rooms. Those beds were freaking small in those massive bedrooms!
But yeah, it was a lovely experience. Wish I could've took pictures.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• United-Kingdom
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:56 AM Edited by Raavi, 09 May 2013 - 01:07 AM.

Nothing beats the bedroom.

On a serious note I'd have to say. The Croatian (Istrian and Dalmatian) coast, I just love it there. Great marinas, great food, great people. And a big plus is the seemingly endless "stream" of little quaint islands and secret spots. But there are also bigger islands like the island of Hvar which is a lovely island at itself.

Here an example of a town alongside the Croatian coast.

user posted image

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:04 AM

Very tough question.

Can I relay my answer as a story?

It was during the years I was living on the road. I believe we (me and my driving buddy) were in the state or Wisconsin. There was a long ass drought and it was the dead of summer. It was a remote area of Wisconsin and most of the roads had no names and stuff - they were called crazy sh*t like 'Class B Highway' and stuff. We were a bit confused since we are both from a city and not really accustomed to those kind of remote roads.

We came across a road named Honey Creek Rd. It was easy to remember and point out because we were both kind of happy to see a road with a name.

Anyway...without explaining how the whole deadhead tour camping works...2 days into camp it pretty much felt like we were living in a desert. Everything was dry and there was just layers of dirt and dust on everything. Needless to say - people were dirty too and wanted to bathe. There was a tiny little stream not far from camp and everyone was almost too excited to be dipping their dirty toes into the trickle of water. It was gross.

I think the idea hit both of us at once and we said "there must be a creek somewhere along Honey Creek Rd".

We did something we never ever ever did - we broke camp and got in our car. We drove down Honey Creek Rd. and sure enough we found water. Not only did we find water, but it was pretty much a swimming hole the size of a good size pool. We were so clean.

We kept it a secret until it was time to leave that camp area. On our way out we turned a couple onto it for a deal that they share their shampoo.

That swimming hole in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin eared a solid mark of "best places I've been to".

stu
  • stu

I'm finished.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:44 AM

QUOTE (trip @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 01:04)
and sure enough we found water.  Not only did we find water, but it was pretty much a swimming hole the size of a good size pool.  We were so clean.

You sure it wasn't an actual swimming pool Trip? I can just imagine some poor family having a bunch of spaced out hippies giggling their heads off, jumping into their pool naked, and leaving their kids all kinds of traumatised.

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:51 AM

Seattle. God, I love it there. The atmosphere is just amazing, and you have those tall, snowcapped mountains towering above the city. I would most certainly go back if I ever could. I also love the Southwest. Nevada, California, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado to be exact. It's a unique place. You can't find orange mesas and steaming fields of sand anywhere else in America.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:57 AM

QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Wednesday, May 8 2013, 21:44)
QUOTE (trip @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 01:04)
and sure enough we found water.  Not only did we find water, but it was pretty much a swimming hole the size of a good size pool.  We were so clean.

You sure it wasn't an actual swimming pool Trip? I can just imagine some poor family having a bunch of spaced out hippies giggling their heads off, jumping into their pool naked, and leaving their kids all kinds of traumatised.

Swear to ya. I could go deep into some details [stories] of the surrounding wilderness and such but I do actually try to refrain from too many stories and all that.

Oh but you darn well know I have stories of people being surprised by spaced out hippies...and yes, some that even involve naked private pools.

Not a derailment, but if memories get poked out of me sometimes I need to let them out:
No idea what state I was in, but it was the middle of nowhere and nothing but cows. There was a nice sized creek running so we stopped to bathe. I decided to poop before bathing(you know - proper order). While squatting out my poo a cow walks over to me and gets all close. Her eye was inches away from me as I felt her scolding me for pooping in her field.

stu
  • stu

I'm finished.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:33 AM Edited by GTA_stu, 09 May 2013 - 02:35 AM.

Maybe that cow liked what she saw. You coulda milked her brains out man. Those country cows are filthy, filthy. She saw some fresh faced city slicker, and wanted to try some of that exotic fruit.

As for me, you know nothing really jumps out. Well actually, there was the time I went to Cyprus, and we went on this small boat cruise to see some dolphins. It took us along the coast, with these beautiful cliffs jutting out all majestic like. The sea was so clear and blue, and you could see all the fish swimming around. There was this really lovely breeze, and the sea, boy it was so calm.

That was on the way to see the dolphins. It was a different story when we actually got there though, because there were no dolphins. Bastards were nowhere to be seen. We got out the boat anyways and all swam with the boring old fish, it was kind of awkward though. I think they could tell they were basically our reluctant 2nd choice. The sea was so f*cking salty, it was disgusting. It tasted horrible, and it wouldn't come off my lips. It made me nauseous, so damn nauseous.

I think I had like mild heat stroke too, there was no cover from the sun in that little boat and it must have been 40 degrees C, (104 F). We were on it for about 4 hours. When we arrived back in err, well I don't know the correct name, port? That sounds f*cking dumb, but when we arrived back in "port" we were all black as night. The locals must have thought it was another boat full of illegal immigrants from Africa. But we stumbled back on to land, and found this lovely little cafe looking out at the sea. And it was in the shade. We sat and had ice-cream, and it was so damn good because it got rid of the horrible salty taste, and was just so damn refreshing and cooling.

That was the best ice-cream I ever had. f*ck those dolphins though.

The_Golden_Derp
  • The_Golden_Derp

Tactical Sammich

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:50 AM

LOL I've been to a lot of places....
Lived in Indonesia for 3 years
Lived in Peru for 5 Years
Living half-time in Africa 1.5 years and 1.5 more expected
Went to South Africa
Went to Rome, Florence, Venice

Best: Hmmm.... confused.gif I'd have to choose Rome.

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

• The Connection
  • Ireland
  • Contribution Award [GTA Online]

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

Vancouver Nanaimo Canada, Best 3 weeks of my Life, Hopefully i can go back next year!

King Of Monra
  • King Of Monra

When someone close to you dies, move seats

• Members

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:02 PM

I had a lovely time last time I was in the US (In Oregon) . Going back to the US in september, new york, las vegas, LA, San fran. (not that you asked)

The Hippie
  • The Hippie

I'm gonna be all the way out there...In the Wild!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:54 AM

The best trip I've ever had was back in the summer of 2005, I was 11 at the time. I have some family down in the Southwestern states, and since neither of my parents are allowed to cross the American border, I flew down by myself. Flew from Toronto to Phoenix, where I met my Aunt. As soon as I stepped out of the airport and felt the desert warmth, it completely shocked me, I wasn't use to the heat. This was in July as well. So I got to spend a few days in Tucson where my Uncle lives. While hiking in mountains, saw a tarantula and a rattlesnake within 2 hours, scared the sh*t outta me. So that was Arizona. Still a great place though.

From there, my Aunt and I then flew from Phoenix to Reno, Nevada. My aunt owns a Ranch in Carson City. So I spent quite a bit of time up in Nevada. Just Beautiful country. Went over to Lake Tahoe as well. After that, we then drove down from Carson to San Bernadino, California. Cousin owned a house down there. We did the trip in one day, and man was it great. I specifically remember the long, dark, desolate, desert roads. Just cruising through the warm desert at night, looking up at the beautiful stars with the windows rolled down. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

So I got to spend a little over a week in Southern Cali. Went to Disneyland and all that good stuff. Also got to spend a day down at the beach in Oceanside. Really, just perfect weather everyday, couldn't beat it. California was the best part about this entire trip. The desert, the scenery, the weather, the ocean, everything. Just love it. From there we drove back to Carson City.

Spent a few more weeks in Carson City just hanging out, you know, Relaxin. Then, out of nowhere, my Aunt gets two tickets to an Oakland Raiders game, and I'm a die hard Raider fan and a complete football junkie. So that was wicked awesome to get to go to the Coliseum and watch the Raiders play. Raiders beat the Saints, although it was only a preseason game but still. I couldn't have asked for a better way to finish off my journey. Hey, that drive through Northern Cali wasn't too bad either. To finish it off, I flew back to Tucson, where I got on my flight back to Toronto.

So, that's basically it. Got to spend the entire summer down in the American Southwest! Loved every minute of it. California is without a doubt my #1 destination. One day, plan on moving down there, someway, somehow. That's my goal anyway.

Other notable places I've been:
Took the via rail train across Canada from Toronto to Jasper Alberta. Jasper is really nice.
Vancouver and Vancouver island
Eastern Canada, New Brunswick, PEI and Nova Scotia.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:06 AM

The small town in Mexico where my dad grew up. Man all the stress just dissolves when we go. Shooting bottles with slingshots, popping fireworks, setting up fires at night. Homemade everything so fun, we haven't been there in a few years on account of all the violence with the cartels. It's a shame. I want to go so bad.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:35 AM

I've been to afew locations and other countries. The country I've enjoyed the most while my time there is probably, Japan. Just the culture and overall decency that is all around.

Countries I've been to:
Japan
Okinawa
Iraq
Afghanistan
UK
Germany (short time there but a beautiful place as well)

US Locations:
Camp Lejeune, NC (as well as all over)
Tennessee
Virginia
Alabama
South Carolina
Florida
Buffalo, NY
California

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Just a dose of metal everyday

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:09 AM

I remember when I first visited LA when I was 8 years old. We have relatives there so I am able to fully known the city. I also visited cities like Hong Kong and it's fame Disneyland and Singapore among many others.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:00 AM Edited by JOSEPH X, 11 May 2013 - 08:07 AM.

Probably the best travel experience I've had was hitch-hiking from the Queensland border with NSW down the Great Dividing Range and Pacific Coast to Melbourne in 1991.

Penniless and lost, I had to ask people for food as well as hitching rides to get to my sister's in Melbourne. It took me five days, and was an eye-opening event in my life that changed the way I see the world forever.

If you want to truly see a place then you have to do it without money. With money, you get hotel rooms and public transport - closing yourself off from the world immediately around you. Without money, you are forced to befriend, talk to or get to know the local people - and they always want to tell you about the place they're from so you learn a lot.

Two of the stand-out people I met were a crocodile and Kangaroo hunter, and an aboriginal activist - who was stopped and harassed by the local police. Click the link to see the route my journey took on google maps

LINK

Rudy
  • Rudy

Mack Pimp

• Zaibatsu
  • France

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 08:00)
If you want to truly see a place then you have to do it without money. With money, you get hotel rooms and public transport - closing yourself off from the world immediately around you. Without money, you are forced to befriend, talk to or get to know the local people - and they always want to tell you about the place they're from so you learn a lot

Not unless you're gonna visit a rainforest filled with brown dudes who claim themselves as "The Sentinelese".

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:42 PM Edited by Nah Tso Gud, 11 May 2013 - 12:48 PM.

QUOTE (The_Golden_Derp @ Wednesday, May 8 2013, 20:50)
LOL I've been to a lot of places....
Lived in Indonesia for 3 years
Lived in Peru for 5 Years
Living half-time in Africa 1.5 years and 1.5 more expected
Went to South Africa
Went to Rome, Florence, Venice

Best: Hmmm.... confused.gif I'd have to choose Rome.

Cool, how did you like Peru? I'll be going there in 2 weeks.

Ollantaytambo -> Choquequirao - > Machu Picchu 8 day trek.

QUOTE (JOSEPH X)
Probably the best travel experience I've had was hitch-hiking from the Queensland border with NSW down the Great Dividing Range and Pacific Coast to Melbourne in 1991.

Penniless and lost, I had to ask people for food as well as hitching rides to get to my sister's in Melbourne. It took me five days, and was an eye-opening event in my life that changed the way I see the world forever.

If you want to truly see a place then you have to do it without money. With money, you get hotel rooms and public transport - closing yourself off from the world immediately around you. Without money, you are forced to befriend, talk to or get to know the local people - and they always want to tell you about the place they're from so you learn a lot.

Two of the stand-out people I met were a crocodile and Kangaroo hunter, and an aboriginal activist - who was stopped and harassed by the local police. Click the link to see the route my journey took on google maps

LINK

Wow Joseph that's awesome biggrin.gif

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

Last year i went to Magaluf with my mates. If you're between 18-25 and looking for a crazy, alcohol filled, girl filled holiday then that's the place to be. It was mental out there we had the best time ever. And plus it was so cheap and most clubs had a special menu of free drinks all night, things like sex on the beach and vodka redbull were all free, so you can get off your tits for the price of a 10 euro entry.

We went last June and I'm going again this August. Ever seen 2 naked girls get it on in real life? I hadn't either until i went there tounge.gif

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

Libyan desert, been there twice, the second time we traveled through the desert about two weeks. Unlike many people think "dayum, it's a desert, there's nothing there...", the desert is one of the most beautiful and varied landscapes of the Earth.
There in Libya we visited from the big dunes to mountainous areas with amazing shapes near the border with, I believe, Chad, Sudan and Egipt, in the back arse of nowhere. It was about three year ago so I don't remember at 100% smile.gif

One of the last days, we arrived to an extinct volcano called Waw An Namus. When you are getting closer, the terrain suddenly becomes black due to the volcanic stones sparsed there. The caldera has 3 lakes, each one of a different color. It's a stunning place.

user posted image

I'd recommend everyone to visit that place if it wasn't for how dangerous the area has become in the present day.

I've been in Tunisia, France (Bretagne) and New York too, a beautiful city. The next year I might go back to the USA, though I don't know where exactly go. In any case I'd like to rent a van or a car and travel around the country.

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (RoadRunner71 @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 09:44)
I've been in Tunisia, France (Bretagne) and New York too, a beautiful city. The next year I might go back to the USA, though I don't know where exactly go. In any case I'd like to rent a van or a car and travel around the country.

That's an amazing sight you've posted biggrin.gif

Have you ever seen Yosemite in California? I would recommend you check it out if you were to come back and want to see something other than city. I still haven't been there and would really, really love to go.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE (Nah Tso Gud @ Tuesday, May 14 2013, 12:46)
QUOTE (RoadRunner71 @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 09:44)

That's an amazing sight you've posted biggrin.gif

Have you ever seen Yosemite in California? I would recommend you check it out if you were to come back and want to see something other than city. I still haven't been there and would really, really love to go.

That's a place that has amazed me since when I was a child, though some places, I guess the most known, like the Half Dome, seems to be a bit saturated of people. Anyway, it's big enough to find quiet places to climb smile.gif

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:00 PM Edited by Mark, 14 May 2013 - 02:04 PM.

Best place I've been to has to be Marrkech by a country mile. I've been pretty much all over Europe but nothing comes close IMO.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

^ Was the riad we stayed in. Was the off season (On the 1st of Dec 2 years back it was 30 degrees due to a heatwave) we were the only people in the entire riad that caters about 20 odd. Waited on by a staff of 8 which felt a bit odd!

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Time flies when you throw a clock.

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

user posted image

So many great memories, indeed my best holiday ever.

Fingers crossed I'll be going back there next year for my 18th. Sun, sea, shots and sex baby!

Valenta
  • Valenta

True hope is swift.

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:44 AM Edited by Valenta, 15 May 2013 - 03:47 AM.

Tampa Bay
user posted image
The only time I've ever left Europe was when I came here for a 3 week holiday back in 2006. I also have family over there.
Although, for the life of me I cannot find the villa I stayed at.

K20
  • K20

Woooo-rah

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

coco palm Maldives. simply amazing. sun burnt twice.

i kid you not, its actually like this.

user posted image

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None
  • Best Fan Art 2012
    Most Improved 2012
    Topic of the Year 2011 "GTA V Screenshot Fun"

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

Major places: Parts of Florida, Italy, San Fran., Los Angeles, Las Vegas, New York, Washington DC, Philly, and this summer I'll be adding a lot to the list. cool.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users