Photo

Vice City (Mac OS X version)

4 replies to this topic
RARusk
  • RARusk

The Man With No Avatar

• Members

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:30 AM

Having just upgraded to a Quad Core Mac Mini I can now play the Mac version of this game. However, what I want to know is, is it a true Mac port or did Rockstar do their own "wrapper" to make the PC version play on Mac OS X?

MrMateczko
  • MrMateczko

Luna is best princess!

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:12 AM Edited by MrMateczko, 09 May 2013 - 10:14 AM.

It's a wrapper, they have used Cider to make a Mac port...I think, or maybe some other software, but it's definitely a wrapper.

RARusk
  • RARusk

The Man With No Avatar

• Members

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

Interesting. You would think that it would be easy to port over the PC version since most Macs now use Intel processors but apparently they must've found that wrapping is faster and cheaper. The plus side, though, is that if you already have the PC version, you can wrap it yourself. When I was doing research there was somebody that made a wrapper for OS 10.8 since the wrappers that came with the official release wouldn't work with the current release. So I can install it myself and update the wrappers as needed (and save me some money in the process).

LeonBlade
  • LeonBlade

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:47 AM

It wouldn't be easier, it's not an issue of the CPU, it's because it uses DirectX, they would have to port over all of the graphics to OpenGL in order to get a native port. That takes way too much time/money for them to do, when they could be working on something better (like GTA V).

One problem I'm having with the OS X version, is using a PS3 controller I have no way to fix the inverted right analog stick, or lower the sensitivity.

RARusk
  • RARusk

The Man With No Avatar

• Members

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:32 AM

What I would like to know is if somebody has made an Xpadder style program for Mac yet. For those who don't know, Xpadder allows you to map out keyboard commands to a joypad and I found it to be a real godsend when I started playing around with the PC versions of the "Hitman" games since I cannot play them with the standard keyboard/mouse control scheme - I have to use a joypad. The last time I looked nobody has made something similar but that was sometime ago. Something like an Xpadder can solve some of these control issues.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users