Photo

Weapon wheel return

66 replies to this topic
savage10-308
  • savage10-308

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

as i sit and play gta iv i cant help but think how nice it would be to have the weapon wheel from red dead redemption, that way instead of having one type of each weapon i could collect all the different types of weapons in each category. people are so ignorant. why would you not want the weapon wheel? especially since weapon customization is possible in gta v. i for one am glad the weapon wheel from rdr is coming to gta v. it will allow for a much larger selection of weapons to be on hand at all times

PowerKracker
  • PowerKracker

Get me banned from this sh*thole

• BUSTED!
  • Tuvalu

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

Actually I think we'll be only able to hold one weapon of each type as usual, but still it's much more convenient than scrolling through weapons.

SuperCrayon
  • SuperCrayon

Thug

• Members

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

The weapon wheel is superior. I didn't even know people complained about it. It worked well in both MP3 and RDR. It allows you to select a weapon faster as well as put a weapon away faster. I have a feeling that if cops see you with a gun drawn in GTA 5 that it may piss them off.

RandomNoun
  • RandomNoun

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

I think we might be seeing restrictions much similar to Max Payne (without the always holding the gun thing). I think this will be important because it plays greatly into planning heists, knowing which weapons who will need to take, thus building a balanced team--modifying the roster for each situation.

Ermac
  • Ermac

checking it like checkers

• The Yakuza
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

Because different people have different preferences.

Shocking, I know.

FEDE_snma_ITA
  • FEDE_snma_ITA

Shipped up to Boston

• Members

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:34 PM Edited by FEDE_snma_ITA, 07 May 2013 - 05:36 PM.

Weapon wheel sucks, it's so unconfortable to keep a button pressed and select the guns.
Much better just switching with one key ubtil you get what you need.
Also you can't run from police when you are trying to change the gun with the wheel.

carl turtle
  • carl turtle

Trick

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:36 PM Edited by carl turtle, 07 May 2013 - 05:42 PM.

confused.gif

RandomNoun
  • RandomNoun

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (SuperCrayon @ Tuesday, May 7 2013, 17:33)
I have a feeling that if cops see you with a gun drawn in GTA 5 that it may piss them off.

This would play into the planning element as well as deciding which weapons to take--do you take weapons you can conceal? Or do you go in guns blazing like in the first trailer?

r0eladn
  • r0eladn

Big Homie

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (FEDE_snma_ITA @ Tuesday, May 7 2013, 17:34)
Weapon wheel sucks, it's so unconfortable to keep a button pressed and select the guns.

I agree. I prefer the old system.

And its been said that there were 12-ish slots on it.

So maybe more weapons of the same category this time, and that is a good thing.

savage10-308
  • savage10-308

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

the old system sucks. it has always only allowed you to take one weapon of each type at a time. not to mention you have to cycle through every weapon you own just to get what you want. an "concealed carry" has never been an issue in a previous gta and i dont expect it to be an issue this time around either. they let me carry a rocker launcher, grenades, a smg, full length shotgun, and a handgun out of sight in IV but they are gonna make me conceal all my weapons under my jacket in V?lol that or carry them on my back like rambo?lol give me a break. weapons wheel is far superior, allows you to carry many more weapons including weapons in the same category, and is much easier to visualize as it shows you everything you are currently holding. old style sucks. im surprised its taken this long for them to change it.

RandomNoun
  • RandomNoun

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

I seriously think we won't be carrying all the weapons. I really do think, if the planning of heists is such a central conflict, that load-out will be decision based.

savage10-308
  • savage10-308

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

name one grand theft auto game where you couldnt hold multiple weapons at the same time in your inventory... to think that you are taking one gun to a bank robbery or in a sky scraper is ridiculous sigh.gif

RandomNoun
  • RandomNoun

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE (savage10-308 @ Tuesday, May 7 2013, 17:51)
name one grand theft auto game where you couldnt hold multiple weapons at the same time in your inventory... to think that you are taking one gun to a bank robbery or in a sky scraper is ridiculous sigh.gif

So it makes more sense to turn up to a bank with the old dual-wield minigun and RPG?

That will really add some strategy to the planning element ...

Ermac
  • Ermac

• The Yakuza
  • None

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

By all he means all weapons from every tier. You can't carry 2 different shotguns, or 2 different assault rifles at the same time in previous GTA games, and I highly doubt the inclusion of the weapon wheel will allow you to have every singe weapon in the game at the ready. My guess it will work just as it has before, Slot for pistols, slot for smgs, slot for shotguns etc. except that it will be in the form of a wheel.

Like I said before, I hope we can choose if we want the wheel or the classic switching in the options menu, because I prefer the classic scrolling.

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (savage10-308 @ Tuesday, May 7 2013, 18:30)
people are so ignorant. why would you not want the weapon wheel?

Coming from the guy who calls folk idiots because they don't share his OPINION I'd say that's quite hypocritical. Personally I prefer GTA to keep some of it's routes and that includes the way we select weapons. The best solution would be to have a option to switch to the clasic way if we want. However if this option isn't avaible then I can live with the weapon wheel as it did work well in Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3. It's no big deal either way to me.

TheJasonGallant
  • TheJasonGallant

Random Player

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:59 PM Edited by TheJasonGallant, 07 May 2013 - 06:01 PM.

As I said in the topic I created not so long ago about V's controls, I think there could be a weapon/protagonist wheel. This wheel would be used for switching weapon and switching protagonist. There are some things that would let us think that the D-Pad could be used excusively for the protagonist switch. But it has so many options that would interfeer that it wouldn't be possible in my opinion. Example: D-pad right and left in a car is for switching the radio station. If you remove them and try to put the protag switching, how could you possibly change the radio station? All the other buttons are already used. So I think that the weapon/protag wheel would feel right.
So my point is that a weapon wheel will probably be there and would also be used for protag switch.

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

What they are saying is multiple weapons of the same type. You couldn't carry two different guns at the same time. Or two different shotguns etc..

savage10-308
  • savage10-308

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (wwinterj @ Tuesday, May 7 2013, 17:59)

Coming from the guy who calls folk idiots because they don't share his OPINION I'd say that's quite hypocritical. Personally I prefer GTA to keep some of it's routes and that includes the way we select weapons. The best solution would be to have a option to switch to the clasic way if we want. However if this option isn't avaible then I can live with the weapon wheel as it did work well in Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3. It's no big deal either way to me.

you would prefer gta to keep some of its routes or roots? is one of the protagonists a fed ex driver?

you would prefer gta to keep some of its routes or roots? is one of the protagonists a fed ex driver?

Ermac
  • Ermac

• The Yakuza
  • None

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (savage10-308 @ Tuesday, May 7 2013, 18:03)
QUOTE (wwinterj @ Tuesday, May 7 2013, 17:59)

Doesn't have a counter to what he has said, so instead he picks on a grammatical mistake in the response.

Nice. confused.gif

JStarr31
  • JStarr31

Vice Money Murder Gang {V.$.M.G}

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE (RandomNoun @ Tuesday, May 7 2013, 17:47)
I seriously think we won't be carrying all the weapons. I really do think, if the planning of heists is such a central conflict, that load-out will be decision based.

QUOTE (RandomNoun)
I think we might be seeing restrictions much similar to Max Payne (without the always holding the gun thing). I think this will be important because it plays greatly into planning heists, knowing which weapons who will need to take, thus building a balanced team--modifying the roster for each situation.

Actually it was confirmed that the weapon wheel has 12 slots, that's three more than the original 9 d-pad slots. What could the new 3 slots hold?

IMO:
1. Masks
2. Non-Lethal: Taser/Stun Gun, pepper spray, cattle prod, fire extinguisher
3. Special Weapons: Trevor=Gasoline Can, Franklin=Chop, Michael=Some hacker tool (i'm betting on it)

what do you guys think

savage10-308
  • savage10-308

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

it would be nice to have the option to pick both, but we are getting the wheel, so why bitch about how the original was supposedly better? this will be the greatest most ambitious video game of all time and at least half the threads on this forum are people bitching about features that are or arent in the game and the damn thing hasnt even been released yet!?

GrandTheftEllboy
  • GrandTheftEllboy

If you want my advice, give the sh*t up.

• Members

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (JStarr31 @ Tuesday, May 7 2013, 18:23)
QUOTE (RandomNoun @ Tuesday, May 7 2013, 17:47)

QUOTE (RandomNoun)

Actually it was confirmed that the weapon wheel has 12 slots, that's three more than the original 9 d-pad slots. What could the new 3 slots hold?

IMO:
1. Masks
2. Non-Lethal: Taser/Stun Gun, pepper spray, cattle prod, fire extinguisher
3. Special Weapons: Trevor=Gasoline Can, Franklin=Chop, Michael=Some hacker tool (i'm betting on it)

what do you guys think

If i'm honest that seems pretty damn perfect!

cookie.gif

aaronimpact
  • aaronimpact

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:43 PM

I'm all for the weapon wheel. I love the weapon wheel. I make love to the weapon wheel.

Marabunta Grande
  • Marabunta Grande

Azul y Blanco

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (AlfredNTheFettuc @ Wednesday, May 8 2013, 01:32)
Actually I think we'll be only able to hold one weapon of each type as usual, but still it's much more convenient than scrolling through weapons.

This. I got my ass shot by Dimitri's men scrolling through my weapons just to get my M4.

ChocoFrosty
  • ChocoFrosty

Trolley Surfing

• Members

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

Also you can't run from police when you are trying to change the gun with the wheel.

How can you run from police when you are scrolling through weapons with the d-pad?

GrandTheftEllboy
  • GrandTheftEllboy

If you want my advice, give the sh*t up.

• Members

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE (ChocoFrosty @ Tuesday, May 7 2013, 18:49)

How can you run from police when you are scrolling through weapons with the d-pad?

I have done it many times, the only thing to keep in mind is you've got to be really quick. But if you're as much of a GTA nerd as I am, that's not going to be a problem.

d3ex2
  • d3ex2

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

Weapon wheel > stupid "classic" GTA switching left to right.

Once you go weapon wheel ain't no going back. Can't wait for it.

Flashify
  • Flashify

IV IS STILL KING

• Members

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

I prefer the wheel, but I only want one gun from each weapon-type. I don't want the ability to have sixty guns at once, but that's just me.

SHOTIMITSU
  • SHOTIMITSU

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

I'm all for change, the weapon wheel was awesome in RDR and will work well in V.

douggoud
  • douggoud

Peacemaker

• Members

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

I'm very glad that the weapons wheel was included, it was much better for me in RDR compared to the weapon selection in IV. That said, IV's weapons selection didn't exactly kill me, it was a tad annoying going from my RPG to my SMG though, of course, I could of done the short cut thing, but I never bothered. The nice thing about the weapons wheel in RDR was that you could carry all types of the same weapon. So if V's weapons wheel were to include that, I could carry an uzi and an SMG at the same time, or grenades and Molotovs (or remote explosives colgate.gif ).

One thing that worries me is that we now have 12 slots to choose from. How easily it'll be to actually choose the weapon I want might be a problem, In RDR we had like 8 slots right? Sometimes I would try to do it too fast and mistakenly choose the wrong one, with 12 slots it might be difficult to choose the right weapon even if you aren't in a hurry confused.gif . I guess we'll find out come September 17th.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users