Photo

What's your view on feminism?

487 replies to this topic
Twang.
  • Twang.

No greater good, no just cause.

• The Connection

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:19 PM

How dare people seek to tackle/remove damaging aspects of modern culture from society, for the benefit of everyone!!! It's PC gone mad I tell you!!!!

I fail to see how a sh*tty song is damaging, and removing it would benefit everyone.

I agree that you fail to see how that might be the case.

Are you for censoring of songs that features women in a sexual manner?

Do you mean sexual objectification? It depends on the context.

Well, then tell me how it is damaging.
It isn't, necessarily, but it could be. Never underestimate the power of music, even if it's a trite pop diddy. Colleges are run like businesses, and businesses take whatever precautions they can to prevent major incidents. Rapes are major incidents and reflect really poorly on the school. Banning a song is literally the least they could do.

In my workplace, we used to have ring knives. Little hook knives that you wore on your finger like a ring. One day, at another plant, a dude was wearing a wedding ring (which is against company policy) and it got caught on a machine and flayed his finger. The company promptly banned the ring knives. Even though he was just one in hundreds of thousands of employees, that's one too many in their eyes. They'll do whatever they can to be able to say they did all they can.

@Leviticus, Leticia, whatever: that's a little homophobic, bro. There's nothing unmasculine about sucking dick. A good portion of regular dick suckers are men, and some women even say it's empowering. It gives them control, they're being aggressive rather than submissive. Besides, dick suckery takes two people, so whatever you were trying to imply about sucker, remember that the suckee is a man, too.

It's kind of strange though, your fixation on "big willies." And your aggressive tone sounds a little frustrated to me.
  • El_Diablo likes this

daboy042188
  • daboy042188

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:04 AM

Oh this thread did not dissapoint. I'm a feminist in that I think that women are people and people deserve equal rights (with exceptions for biology, for instance maternity leave should be allowed but men don't need it for obvious reasons). And op I'm guessing you're a white guy, I am too, and let me tell you this whole being a dude thing is awesome. If I needed to reup every year I'd be like the first one in line

TEoS
  • TEoS

WE'RE BEING ATTAAAAAACKED!

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:09 AM

Oh this thread did not dissapoint. I'm a feminist in that I think that women are people and people deserve equal rights (with exceptions for biology, for instance maternity leave should be allowed but men don't need it for obvious reasons). And op I'm guessing you're a white guy, I am too, and let me tell you this whole being a dude thing is awesome. If I needed to reup every year I'd be like the first one in line

I disagree with the maternity leave point. I think fathers should get it too. While one of the primary purposes of maternity leave is physical recuperation, bonding with the newborn is also a huge part. By not allowing fathers that same thing, neither men or women benefit. For women, it unfairly places more parental responsibility on them due to their gender. For men, they miss out on all the "fun" of changing poopy diapers or whatever. Fathers should have the right to spend time with their newborns as well.

Not that it matters in America. We have the worst maternity leave policy in the western world (none, as far as I know, though someone correct me if I'm wrong)

• EphemeralStar likes this

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

Grill

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • San-Marino

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:25 AM

I think the federal government mandates like 12 weeks of unpaid maternity leave. woo we're so progressive. 

• TEoS likes this

daboy042188
  • daboy042188

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:25 AM Edited by daboy042188, 07 September 2014 - 02:25 AM.

I used maternity leave as an example. I think workplaces should give paternity leave to men but I think paid maternity leave for women should be legally mandated since they've been through a physical ordeal. It's an example where the law should make an allowance for biological differences even if it isn't equal

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

5KΣΓ

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:34 PM

It isn't, necessarily, but it could be. Never underestimate the power of music, even if it's a trite pop diddy. Colleges are run like businesses, and businesses take whatever precautions they can to prevent major incidents. Rapes are major incidents and reflect really poorly on the school. Banning a song is literally the least they could do.

Except that the problem is quite obviously not the music video itself. You're not going to find any sane person who already believes in equality to be persuaded by the way women are portrayed in these videos. The only people who are going to be affected in some way (by having their beliefs reinforced) are the ones that already view women that way (and they are not the majority or at least there is no evidence to suggest that). So the damage has already been done for these people and it has been done much earlier on in their life when they received their education.

I also find that this line of reasoning is dangerously close to what video game censorship advocates use to try and prove that violent video games are causing normal sane people to be violent (in fact I even heard one prominent YouTube feminist suggest that in spite of all the studies that suggest the opposite).

Black_Jesus
  • Black_Jesus

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:25 AM

Ahh, the all black wearing feminist who sole purpose is to make every instant about gender and down men each chance they get. The extremities with their mindset in unnerving. My encounters with a mustache wearing chick involved making sure the right words came out my mouth, especially with her friends around or I would receive death stares with a shrunken penis. 

Twang.
  • Twang.

No greater good, no just cause.

• The Connection

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:22 AM

Except that the problem is quite obviously not the music video itself. You're not going to find any sane person who already believes in equality to be persuaded by the way women are portrayed in these videos. The only people who are going to be affected in some way (by having their beliefs reinforced) are the ones that already view women that way (and they are not the majority or at least there is no evidence to suggest that). So the damage has already been done for these people and it has been done much earlier on in their life when they received their education.

I also find that this line of reasoning is dangerously close to what video game censorship advocates use to try and prove that violent video games are causing normal sane people to be violent (in fact I even heard one prominent YouTube feminist suggest that in spite of all the studies that suggest the opposite).
I don't necessarily agree with the decision, but I see why they did it for better or worse. In the end, it's not something I feel strongly about.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users