727 replies to this topic
Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:03 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 07 August 2014 - 04:09 PM.

snip oops

Eris
  • Eris

Grill

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:07 AM Edited by Nipperkins, 08 August 2014 - 02:11 AM.

This is a good question for me as im openly bi (Since 2014), I'll keep it short and say I don't understand bull dykes and straight ppl, or why women cut their hair short after age 50, but us bi dudes have a bit a femininity instilled in us, to me my body is a man but my spirit is female and I disagree with GoD putting me in this mans body. Feminist are probably women with a woman spirit,. that's my thought.

I agree. Kill the cishet scum.

• make total destroy likes this

Sofa
  • Sofa

innocent bystander

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:23 AM Edited by Sofa, 08 August 2014 - 08:26 AM.

Well, there you go. You've convinced me. I'm not a bigot. I'm just an idiot.

A law of the kind I was proposing is impossible\impractical and unfair for the reasons you've stated. I understand why now and I don't know why I couldn't understand before. I also see why a contract like that would be useless. It's laughable to suggest that you could ask someone to sign a contract like that every time you have sex, and in a relationship it is possible to negotiate what course of action should be taken if an unwanted pregnancy would happen.

I don't know why I behave so stubbornly sometimes and I'd like to thank everyone involved for pointing out my hypocrisy and stupidity. Ironically, I often have the feeling that I'm wrong and this encourages me to engage in debates like this so that I can be proven wrong. So I sincerely apologize for dragging this conversation on for so long and for saying (potentially) hateful things.

There's literally years between each time i see posters show this ability on discussion forums, in fact i stopped taking the thread seriously, it's good to read this. It takes character to reconsider your own position while argueing it. Well done.

What do you not understand about straight people?

All they think of is ussy, and think gays are replusive, same coin goes for straight people, they don't understand us.
No not gays in person, it's the gay sex that repulses straight folk, we can't help this any more than gays can their orientation. It's just that my reaction if i where to picture dudes going at it would be disgust, not personal, but rather sexual disgust.

Quite contrary to my equaly involuntary reaction if i was pictureing women(but only IF hot, if not, see above), some might call this a double standard, i call it orientation. Now some word their disgust inproperly, don't hold it against them if they can't express it, it's probably very unfamiliar to them.

The ones that express bigotry however, i can't think of a reaction to this, simply because i've never been victim of it, nor am i able to explain their reasoning, but i assume anger would be mine.

Twang.
  • Twang.

No greater good, no just cause.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:39 AM

Some say homophobia is the fear that another man looks at you the same way you look at a woman.
  • Melchior and Sofa like this

NightSpectre
  • NightSpectre

Pure Heroine

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:26 AM

It's funny how people act like only men commit domestic violence. It's actually the other way around. Not all men hit women, but all women hit men.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:36 AM

You should remove your head from the distant galaxy you seemed to have traveled to inside your own anus, and read what you actually just said. That's funny.

• Moonshield, Melchior, RedDagger and 6 others like this

NightSpectre
  • NightSpectre

Pure Heroine

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:37 AM

You should remove your head from the distant galaxy you seemed to have traveled to inside your own anus, and read what you actually just said. That's funny.

But it's true, women hit men all the time and say they "deserve it".

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:47 AM

It simply isn't though. I'm not denying that men are victims of domestic abuse from women, and even other men, and I do believe that there should be more equality for men who suffer at the hands of violent partners because it isn't advertised enough alongside the female counterparts, but isn't casually trying to make a pointed gender biased argument saying it's the other way around and making generalisations that all women abuse men sh*tting on the experiences of actual victims here? Where are you even basing this opinion from... soap operas?

• Moonshield and make total destroy like this

EphemeralStar
  • EphemeralStar

おっぱい

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:47 AM

But it's true, women hit men all the time and say they "deserve it".

But you said ALL women hit men. You gotta be f*ckin' with us. 

• Killerdude8 likes this

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

"Time moves forward, and nothing changes"- Max Payne

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:50 AM

It's funny how people act like only men commit domestic violence. It's actually the other way around. Not all men hit women, but all women hit men.

Not all women hit men

Sofa
  • Sofa

innocent bystander

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:07 AM Edited by Sofa, 10 August 2014 - 08:17 AM.

Some say homophobia is the fear that another man looks at you the same way you look at a woman.

Haha, never heard that before. I'm straight, but I still tend to get abit flattered to be honest when gays hit on me (omgsick!?). Indeed most homophobes i know(mostly professionaly) tend to be all alphamale chauvinists, most are controlling and demeaning towards women, arguably misogynistic as well. They go ballistic if that happens to them. Your comment makes sense, quite profound actually lol, never flipped it like that, wisdom of the day for me.

*Edit*

I don't get it.....what's the gag? You get slapped alot?
  • Melchior likes this

NightSpectre
  • NightSpectre

Pure Heroine

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:23 AM Edited by NightSpectre, 11 August 2014 - 05:24 AM.

I've never layed a finger on a woman yet I've been slapped, punched, and had things thrown at me by women who were angry at me. They said I "deserved it" ignoring that they'd be crying abuse if it was the other way around.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:52 AM

I've never layed a finger on a woman yet I've been slapped, punched, and had things thrown at me by women who were angry at me.

Has it ever struck you that, given you seem to imply this involved multiple women, the common factor is you?
  • Moonshield, Failure, Yolo Swaggins and 3 others like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

to be fair, the women that NightSpectre could be referring to might be total c*nts....

lets not jump on his personal life just yet.

the most grievous error he committed here is that he went and used the word "all" when trying to form his argument.

logical fallacies 101: you cannot use terms like "all" or "none" when making your case.

when you're talking about sample sizes like MALE versus FEMALE, that's like 3-4 billion people.

there's no such thing that "all" women do, or that "no" men do.

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:26 AM Edited by Vlynor, 11 August 2014 - 08:26 AM.

when you're talking about sample sizes like MALE versus FEMALE, that's like 3-4 billion people.

there's no such thing that "all" women do

Except breathe. 

• El Diablo likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:37 AM

yeah that's what my mother used to say...

bundy313.jpg

• Frank Brown likes this

Doc Rikowski
  • Doc Rikowski

First Generation Gamer

• D1RTY12
  • Mars
  • Best Gang 2013 - D1RTY12
    Best Event 2011 "Turf Wars"

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

I've never layed a finger on a woman yet I've been slapped, punched, and had things thrown at me by women who were angry at me. They said I "deserved it" ignoring that they'd be crying abuse if it was the other way around.

Kinda happened also to me sometimes with some women. Of course I never fought back cause that's how I've been educated.

Fact is, if you are a man, you have to consider that at some point you might have to take some slapping and object throwing without losing your cool (btw you can always dodge). ;)

If you fight back though, you're a weak coward imho. Best thing to do is to literally walk out of the fight (and maybe out of the relationship if she's indeed a violent woman).

I know, it doesn't sound equal but I still believe in gentlemanship as old fashioned as it might sound. :)

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Supralux (ΣΓ)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:12 AM

You can believe in whatever you want but I think you should refrain from calling people that defend themselves cowards. I also think that being what people call a "gentleman" is generally a waste of time and energy. Do you really need to be extra nice to all women all the time? Can't you just pick one and focus on that one? Also, I think you should be respectful towards all people (at least polite ones), not just women.

Doc Rikowski
  • Doc Rikowski

First Generation Gamer

• D1RTY12
  • Mars
  • Best Gang 2013 - D1RTY12
    Best Event 2011 "Turf Wars"

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

You can believe in whatever you want but I think you should refrain from calling people that defend themselves cowards. I also think that being what people call a "gentleman" is generally a waste of time and energy. Do you really need to be extra nice to all women all the time? Can't you just pick one and focus on that one? Also, I think you should be respectful towards all people (at least polite ones), not just women.

So a man that beats up a woman is defending himself?

I'm not talking about extreme self-defense situations here, like a woman pointing at you a gun, just regular couple "fights".

And the rest of your post is incomprehensible to me cause you're mentioning things I never did, assuming other things I never mentioned.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Supralux (ΣΓ)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:27 PM

My approach to all conflicts—regardless of the sex of the other person—is this: do your best to avoid them or try to defuse the ones that are in progress. If that fails, do whatever it takes to get out of it, which includes fighting back. If I get a slap from someone I will most likely not hit them back, but if someone starts hitting\punching me I won't have time to think what to do, so I'll most likely hit back until things calm down or at least until I can run away. Of course, violence is always the worst way in a conflict because you never know how crazy the other person can get. If you beat them up who is to say they won't stalk you the next day and throw a brick at your head? Things seem to inevitably escalate quickly when violence is involved.

I thought you were initially talking about women being violent in general, not just relationships. I can't imagine being in a violent fight with my (future) girlfriend or wife. If it still happens somehow I will do my best to stop her from hitting me without hitting back. I don't think it's OK to hit someone you love, even if things get tense, unless there is no other (nonviolent) way to stop them from hitting you. They will very likely remember it for the rest of their lives and may never fully forgive you.

The rest of my post was an observation about the word "gentleman", which is a word that carries a lot of baggage. Being a "gentleman" entails being particularly respectful towards women because they somehow deserve it more than men. I shouldn't have to explain what is wrong with that. Perhaps you have a different definition for this word but this is what it used to mean and what it largely still means today.

D- Ice
  • D- Ice

Gangsta

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:39 PM Edited by D- Ice, 11 August 2014 - 04:42 PM.

Regarding the taboo of men hitting women, and notions of being a gentleman, I believe they are neither completely baseless, nor absolute dogma that you can never break.

It derives from the well-proven notion that men are generally physically much stronger than women, and thus can inflict far more damage in physical attacks. Women also have a much higher concentration of nerves - specifically nocireceptors - in their skins, and are thus far more sensitive to pain from phsyical attacks. Also a factor are that women tend to have smaller skeletal bones, and lower bone densities (especially post menopause), and are thus far more likely to break bones than men.

That obviously does not apply to all women, but these differences are definately true for the average population.

Thus, it is seen that physical attacks from men do far more damage than those from women, and would inflict far more damage/pain to womens' bodies. This is held to be so much so, that a physical attack from a man in retaliation to that from a woman is held to be disproportionate use of force, and for the most part, I completely agree.

This is similar to it being wrong for an adult to retaliate to phsyical attacks from children, or a much weaker, frailer adult. In fact, I believe that a large, strong woman attacking a weak and frail man is equally wrong for the same reasons.

Interestingly, I saw a man attacking a woman that he was with while out shopping today. The scene was expectedly infuriating for me and several other bystanders, but what annoyed me even more was that his loud swearing and attack were completely unprovoked, and that he hit her quite hard in the head. It was also somewhat disheartening to see such behaviour from the younger generation (they seemed roughly in their early-twenties), though you get people who act violently and irresponsibly in every generation.

Flynny
  • Flynny

Where is Jessica Hyde?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Chad

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:04 PM Edited by Flynny, 11 August 2014 - 06:10 PM.

Women should be exactly equal in their rights to men, in every way, that is my opinion on feminism put simply. it is also my opinion on different races, religions, sexual orientations etc etc. Everyone should at least start have equal rights, and not start behind or ahead because of their skin colour, sexuality or gender, that is my number 1 core belief.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:12 PM

Women should be exactly equal in their rights to men, in every way, that is my opinion on feminism put simply. it is also my opinion on different races, religions, sexual orientations etc etc. Everyone should at least start have equal rights, and not start behind or ahead because of their skin colour, sexuality or gender, that is my number 1 core belief.

the world is what it is, though. the same goes for nature.

at the end of the day, men and women cannot be perfectly equal in all things. and there are many women who will happily comply with a 'subservient' demeanor to men because it simply feels natural and/or comfortable; because there are some very specific distinctions between men and women that (generally speaking) cannot be equaled out by nature.

we seem to be talking about relatively superficial feminism.

the kind of feminism where we simply want to see equal pay, equal opportunities, and equal legal treatment. which is great. but then there's another kind of feminism which hopes to see the emotional and mental attitudes of men and women equalized. that's great too although I'm afraid it's simply the militant-feminists pipe-dream.

generally speaking, women expect certain behaviors from men in certain situations and vise versa based on our natural inclinations.

women are less physical, less aggressive, less hostile, and more wiling to compromise. men are physically dominating, aggressive, confrontational, and more demanding. men must generally develop some kind of enterprising/unique set of skills that are marketable and can produce money in order to be successful in life. women can skate through life doing absolutely nothing as the wanton sexual object and desire of others who will support her every need regardless of what she offers in return (aside from sex). I don't see how things like this will ever change.

as such, there will always be women who readily play to - and accept - the dominion of men.

the feminists greatest obstacle is other women...

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

Death to the Bourgeoisie - Long live Anarchy

• Hustle Bones
  • None

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:01 PM Edited by ShootPeopleNotDope, 11 August 2014 - 08:18 PM.

generally speaking, women expect certain behaviors from men in certain situations and vise versa based on our natural inclinations.

Or because of the gender roles thrust onto all people by the patriarchy. Dying from a cold is natural, so is sh*tting and pissing wherever you please. This is why appeals to nature, especially when no substantial evidence supports such appeals, are logical fallacies.

Like, you do realize that when feminists talk about the patriarchy, they're not just talking about a force that only influences cis-women, right?

women are less physical, less aggressive, less hostile, and more wiling to compromise. men are physically dominating, aggressive, confrontational, and more demanding. men must generally develop some kind of enterprising/unique set of skills that are marketable and can produce money in order to be successful in life.

See the above.

women can skate through life doing absolutely nothing as the wanton sexual object and desire of others who will support her every need regardless of what she offers in return (aside from sex). I don't see how things like this will ever change.

Maybe that's the way you see it, and maybe that's the way you were raised to see it. I'm picking up a strong signal on my bullsh*t detector either way, though.

as such, there will always be women who readily play to - and accept - the dominion of men.

the feminists greatest obstacle is other women...

Nah, it's people like you.

• D- Ice likes this

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Supralux (ΣΓ)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:25 PM

Except that your assertion—that the patriarchy is fully responsible for those apparent gender specific behaviors—is not supported by evidence either. Where do you think these behaviors came from? I think it's pretty obvious that they were at some point natural inclinations like El_Diablo suggests, and they were then enforced by society because it seemed to make sense. Of course, like you say, natural isn't necessarily good and we could probably change these tendencies if we tried hard enough (just think of how much more violent humans generally used to be and how civilized we are now; reason clearly does have the ability to modulate our innate behavior).

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

Death to the Bourgeoisie - Long live Anarchy

• Hustle Bones
  • None

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:03 PM

Except that your assertion—that the patriarchy is fully responsible for those apparent gender specific behaviors—is not supported by evidence either.

I'm genderqueer. Tell me again about how gender roles are innate.

Where do you think these behaviors came from?

From the formation of class society, and it's consequences.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

Or because of the gender roles thrust onto all people by the patriarchy. Dying from a cold is natural, so is sh*tting and pissing wherever you please. This is why appeals to nature, especially when no substantial evidence supports such appeals, are logical fallacies.

congratulations on completely missing the point.

women and men are different by nature.

there are certain differences between us that will never be resolved no matter how many hyper-liberal-feminist policies or legislation you throw at it.

there's nothing bigoted or logically fallacious about acknowledging this.

men are the more physically dominant of the 2 sexes. because of this fact, they will always maintain a certain dominion over certain aspects of social interaction between the sexes. and because of this fact, there will always be some women who happily conform to this roleplay. and there's nothing wrong with that.

that's what I'm saying.

as long as we are working towards equal treatment under the law and in the workplace, it's OK to acknowledge that some women will always want to be girly-girls, while other women can go take charge and be as successful (or moreso) than any man.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Supralux (ΣΓ)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:31 PM

I didn't say that gender roles were completely innate. I think that they are partly innate and partly influenced by society. You are on the fringe of human sexuality. Most people do identify with the female or male gender.

I think that it is more ridiculous to suggest that these apparent gender specific behaviors are (currently) the result of education and nothing else when you consider the fact that humans used to be apes driven by instincts. Consider the violence analogy I mentioned before. We aren't as violent as we used to be and we managed to get where we are by developing more complex brains and by putting them to good use, but we didn't get rid of our violent behavior completely (it's probably impossible to do that with the tools we have right now). We still react violently in certain situations and we are often unable to resist our impulses (for example, getting angry when someone says something bad about us or the tendency to become violent when we feel threatened). So my point is that some of our innate ancestral behavior is clearly still there and it could partially account for these differences in behavior between men and women.

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

Lucky 38

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:30 PM

To quote Hunter S Thompson, only a punk hits his wife and dog.
  • gtamann123, blitz, Raavi and 1 other like this

NightSpectre
  • NightSpectre

Pure Heroine

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:49 AM

I've never layed a finger on a woman yet I've been slapped, punched, and had things thrown at me by women who were angry at me.

Has it ever struck you that, given you seem to imply this involved multiple women, the common factor is you?
Translation: Abuse is okay when it's female on male.
  • Killerdude8 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users