11 replies to this topic
Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:04 PM Edited by Ash_735, 22 May 2013 - 01:06 PM.

After six long years we finally have a new album from Queens of the Stone Age! "...Like Clockwork" will be released June 3rd, featuring many guests such as Trent Reznor, Alex Turner and Elton John. Surprised there's not been a thread on here about it. The album is 10 tracks long, full tracklist below:
01. Keep Your Eyes Peeled
02. I Sat by the Ocean
03. The Vampyre of Time and Memory
04. If I Had a Tail
05. My God Is the Sun
06. Kalopsia
07. Fairweather Friends
08. Smooth Sailing
09. I Appear Missing
10. …Like Clockwork

The band have released a 15 minute animation by Boneface previewing a couple of songs, which can be viewed HERE or available below as separate samples:

The band also recently appeared on the Later... with Jools Holland show to play a few songs to as well as an interview with Josh Homme:

• dr.aqufresh likes this

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

How come I never hear about these things? >__> I used to really like QOTSA.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

I can't wait. Apparently I Appear Missing is actually six minutes, so we've only heard the first half of it. My God Is the Sun reminds me a bit of a mixture between their Songs for the Deaf and Era Vulgaris days. Looking forward to hearing the collaborations with Dave Grohl, Elton John, Trent Reznor, Nick Oliveri and Mark Lanegan.

This is probably going to be my album of the year.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:25 PM

I just hope this time the collaborations are actually noticeable! With Era Vulgaris any one who had a cameo was just drowned out somewhere in backing vocals, I mean hell, River in the Road had Lanegan on it but unless you really focus, you wouldn't even notice him in there!

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (Ash_735 @ Tuesday, May 7 2013, 13:25)
I just hope this time the collaborations are actually noticeable! With Era Vulgaris any one who had a cameo was just drowned out somewhere in backing vocals, I mean hell, River in the Road had Lanegan on it but unless you really focus, you wouldn't even notice him in there!

True, but I do like the sort of electronic elements introduced on that album. To be honest it might be my favorite of their albums, and I listen to all of them quite a bit. Also got all the bonus tracks to complete the albums.

I'm really interested in hearing Elton John's vocal contributions. It's kind of hard to imagine a QotSA song with him involved.

Tyler
  • Tyler

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

• Unknown
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (Vanilla Shake @ Tuesday, May 7 2013, 12:59)
I'm really interested in hearing Elton John's vocal contributions. It's kind of hard to imagine a QotSA song with him involved.

It's an exciting prospect, though. After I heard My God is the Sun I got a little more tense for this album. Can't wait to listen to the whole thing, hope it doesn't disappoint. I don't think it'll be my album of the year but QotSA are a solid band, nonetheless.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:00 PM Edited by Ash_735, 14 May 2013 - 01:42 PM.

Two more tracks have been let out, played live:
"I Sat by the Ocean"
"If I Had a Tail"

edit: Updated the first post with the video for "Kalopsia"

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

Kalopsia is just f*cking awesome. Holy sh*t.

I'm glad we've heard a little bit of that song, 'cause that little bit was orgasmic.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:19 PM Edited by Vanilla Shake, 15 May 2013 - 08:03 PM.

Double-post.

They've released 3 minutes of Keep Your Eyes Peeled. Might be my favorite one so far. God damn this album's gonna rule.

EDIT: Album leaked out today. I'm up to The Vampyre of Time and Memory. Loving it all so far.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

Listening to the leak now, very impressed with it.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Ron Swanson, A Swan Song.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

Well, I'm very happy with this one. The layout of the tracks is spot on, each song is easily identifiable, and the contributions are noticeable (for the most part, anyway). By the way, for anyone interested, they're on Jools Holland's "...Later" this week. I haven't watched it yet so I don't know what tracks they're playing.

Personally, I've always loved QOTSA's slower paced songs so "Kalopsia" and "Like Clockwork" really stand out for me. The former is incredibly chilling and definitely gives off a whiff of Reznor's style. The latter is probably my favourite song on the album and such a brilliant choice to use as the "end credits", so to speak. "The Vampyre Of Time And Memory" is another great track that has a gorgeous yet curious bluesy feel to it.

Unfortunately, as Ash mentioned above, previous contributions were drowned out and sadly it seems history has repeated itself. I mean, as I said, you can hear Reznor's influence on "Kalopsia", but Elton John's vocals on "Fairweather Friends" are practically non-existent, as are Jake Shears' on the opening track "Keep Your Eyes Peeled", and the normally intense vocals of Brody Dalle and very noticeable tone of Alex Turner on "If I Had A Tail" are just so distant that they may as well not have even bothered. Despite that, the songs are still excellent especially the one previously mentioned. It really reminds me of the excellent track "Gunman" by Them Crooked Vultures.

I don't know, perhaps I'm being too critical or I'm simply not paying enough attention, but it seems as though some things could have been done differently. Nevertheless, it's still a very tight and professional album, nothing is half-assed whatsoever.

So, what do you guys make of it?

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (TheGreatGig23 @ Saturday, May 18 2013, 11:16)
By the way, for anyone interested, they're on Jools Holland's "...Later" this week. I haven't watched it yet so I don't know what tracks they're playing.

I've uploaded those performances (and awkward interview) right here:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users