Photo

Setting my future straight

8 replies to this topic
Co. Extra
  • Co. Extra

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

I'm having a hard time preparing myself for the future as far as a career, I would like different opinions from different members and sites, perhaps you guys can help me out here? I'm 21 years old and my main goal in life is to become an all-time film director in Hollywood, easier said than done, but why not aim high right? I'll wouldn't mind ending up working on a studio lot making a decent salary as long as i'm happy and able to have a family in Los Angeles. (I was born and raised up to the age 11 out there, visited over the years so I know how it is and set my mind on spending the rest of my years in L.A.)

I currently live in Wisconsin and am sick of it, it's boring; fishing and hunting is not my thing, cities go to sleep early and I feel like i'm wasting my time out here. Anyways, I just feel that i cannot have film-director-carreer as my priority because of failure and ending up with nothing. So i'm planning on going to college for something to do with video game design, because that's another one of my things I find myself happy doing, and then make films on the side hoping I end up where I want to be.

Thing is, if i'm going to get into the video game industry through school, what are my chances of finding a job? I would like to work hard and get myself into a big company as Rockstar Games or Infinity Ward, but I know it's not as easy. I guess what I'm trying to say is, for as long as I know my sh*t (designing) and am a smart person, the better chances of landing a higher pay job, correct? I also want to work my up to becoming president of one of those companies or even open my own company, write my game and make it happen.

I know it seems ridiculous, but the way I see it, if i'm going to work for anybody, I always aim for the top. I had two jobs in my lifetime; first one was a part time job at a fast food with my brother; we we're the ones that motivated all other 15 employees and within the two years of us being there we got the place "Best of the City" awards twice! Being open since the 1970's and first time they received these. The moment I turned 18 i found a full time job elsewhere and reeled my brother in too. We both worked 3rd shift and as little as 11 months i got moved to 1st shift (having plenty of employees trying to for over 5 years that's a achievement). My brother got promoted as a Line operator and the manager had said in all her years, he was the first person to move up so quickly and by himself without any internal help, also the youngest to do so.

I just feel that i'm a gifted person but just have no idea where to start or even look.

Mr Scratch
  • Mr Scratch

Sly Bastard

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

Join the military.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

If you want to be a director why don't you make an amateur movie? Write a script and get some friends to play in it. It doesn't have to be perfect, or even good. It probably won't. But it's a start. Thinking about it isn't enough. You have to DO in order to GET.

GTAForums: Come for GTA, stay for psych evaluation and career advice.

Co. Extra
  • Co. Extra

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 21:57)
If you want to be a director why don't you make an amateur movie? Write a script and get some friends to play in it. It doesn't have to be perfect, or even good. It probably won't. But it's a start. Thinking about it isn't enough. You have to DO in order to GET.

GTAForums: Come for GTA, stay for psych evaluation and career advice.

I know that. I'm already working on a script, have a thousand dollar camera, editing software, etc. But as i'm moving forward i'm thinking ahead and asking these questions

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

Look at how you can build a life in LA. Search for Jobs at major studios, by which I mean runner, prop-guy, set-builder anything just so you can get into that world and start to see first hand how its done. Keep working on your personal development as a director and think specifically about the stories you want to tell, why is your work going to meaningful, resonant and good? Make connections and network.

You have to be in, and of that world.

fgcarva1
  • fgcarva1

Il Figlioccio

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE (Max. @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 19:49)
Look at how you can build a life in LA. Search for Jobs at major studios, by which I mean runner, prop-guy, set-builder anything just so you can get into that world and start to see first hand how its done. Keep working on your personal development as a director and think specifically about the stories you want to tell, why is your work going to meaningful, resonant and good? Make connections and network.

You have to be in, and of that world.

This

Here's how it goes. It seems you're out of the industry. You didn't mention knowing anyone. You should do as mentioned above, but if you really want to be a director, than I guess film school is necessary (I may be wrong since I don't know anything about the industry).

I'm facing a similar issue with the industry I want to get into. I know nobody, but I've been emailing random companies and sending resumes for internships. That's all you gotta do, get to know people, apply for jobs and get in the industry regardless of what role you have. From there on it's a lot easier because you'll know people from your studio, from different studios and etc. and if you make yourself look competent, you'll have acquaintances knowing of your hard work and giving you better positions.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:34 PM

^[...] and you can learn stuff from them along the way which is going to make you a better producer/director.

I suggest also learning about acting if you don't already, if you're planning to be a director you'll wanna know about acting.

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:57 AM

If you want to get your foot in the door in Hollywood, and you're not the son of somebody connected, it's probably going to start at an UNPAID internship for college credits. That means you'll need to take a class related to the field you want get into to get the internship. If you can find something that overlaps in both video game and film industries, maybe something like audio recording/mixing, you might be able to do it. But I'm not sure how a video game programmer will get into a film based internship. Just my thoughts....

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Zaibatsu
  • Japan

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

You say your dream is to be a film director, but then say it's too hard and want to join the game industry instead? Do you know how hard it is to get into the game industry? And how often things will fail and you end up laid off?

Life is about taking risks. There is no guarantee of anything. If you want guarantees, stay where you are and take the safe job. If you want to take risks, go do what you dream. What would you like to do if money were no objection? Is it making movies? Then make it. You got a thousand dollar camera, not sure why, so go ahead and make movies. Make a movie every day, try new shots, try new angles, try new speeds, new settings, anything. Just go nuts. Your first many movies will suck, but then you'll make one that won't. Once you have things that are good, start sending them to festivals. Can't live off of that? Take a simple playing job to fund your movie making habits. Go work at walmart or whatever while you're doing your movies. Or if you can, get a job in a studio doing anything, and take notes and understand everything that is happening.

Is it making games? Then make it. It has never been easier to get a game made. Your first many games will suck, one will be good. Same as for movies, keep making and trying new concepts, new languages, different genres etc. But if you want to get in the game industry just to get a job, well, you won't get it. You don't need school to get in, you need to be good. Have you modded games before? Have you created maps? Have you made art? Have you created your own designs? Have you written original stories or fan fics? If you haven't, then start doing. Do you have any skill in programming or modeling or texturing or design or writing or *insert game skill here*? If you don't, start learning. You say you know your sh*t, can you point us to some games you've designed? Can you point us to some criticism on the design of game 'x' that you've written?

In short, if you want a nice, safe life, look elsewhere. Entertainment business is tough. You need to be good and keep improving, cause there's always thousands trying to get your spot. Otherwise, have passion, and just do. Don't talk about doing, don't talk about "writing a script" or "designing a game", just go and do it. Noone cares for your potential, they care for whether you can get results done or not.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users