Photo

The Submarine

50 replies to this topic
djv3n0m
  • djv3n0m

Bumboclaaaat !!!

• Members

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:33 AM

Rockstars are genius for adding underwater exploring and stuff just imagine the possibilities in multiplayer the trolls that always spam rockets from choppers will finally have to f*** off and find another target
  • GTASeriesFan and Symbiote Venom like this

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:53 AM Edited by zombie elvis, 07 May 2013 - 05:55 AM.

If they send tanks and jets after you I would like to see them sending nuclear submarines after you at the highest wanted level.

QUOTE (GTAGuy @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 23:11)
Apart from the mechanics, the only thing I'm wondering is how they are going to occlude the water shader so that it doesn't appear penetrate the hull. You can't simply model something to be water tight and stick it in water and see no water inside it. It doesn't work that way in games.

In pretty much every game, objects that are placed in water do not displace the water. Instead, they just clip into the water. The water passes right through them. Water is physically simulated on the surface for waves, but it is not a viscous material that can actually be displaced. That would just be far too demanding for today's hardware. Right now, it's just smoke and shaders to give the illusion that it's water. They're going to have to do some clever stuff to make the submarine appear as though it is water tight.

In the screenshot of the submarine, it appears as though they've done none of this yet. You can see that the water is passing right through the glass in the front of the submarine.

Hm good point about the water going through in that pic, I hadn't noticed but I guess it's to be expected. From inside there are tricks they could do to make the water surface intersect with the cockpit, like drawing the shape of the outside of the glass to a depth texture, and then in your pixel shader you'd only draw the water surface where it's further away than that distance.
But they'd probably just put the camera at the front with no cockpit for simplicity.

MyCousin
  • MyCousin

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 23:49)
A little off the topic of submarines, but I wonder if you can parachute while wearing the scuba gear? Would be cool to jump off Mt Chiliad (or out a cargo plane even), parachute into the sea, then scuba down to the depth of a shipwreck, all in one go. Epic...

And get the worst bends ever seen by man.

mrSQUADKINGS
  • mrSQUADKINGS

--SQUAD-KINGS CLAN--

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

The submarine in the crane. brobably right befor trevor going into the sea.

Are you exited about the underwater part????

user posted image

Pizentu
  • Pizentu

Thats What She Said

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (mrSQUADKINGS @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 15:17)

user posted image

Seeing Trevor inside really gives a feel to the size of that thing. I thought it was only half that size.

What I just thought of is that the underwater is 2/5 of the map. Thats alot and we havent seen hardly much at all of the underwater. I know most will be empty, but there is still a lot to do down there.

mrSQUADKINGS
  • mrSQUADKINGS

--SQUAD-KINGS CLAN--

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (Pizentu @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 15:23)

user posted image

Seeing Trevor inside really gives a feel to the size of that thing. I thought it was only half that size.

What I just thought of is that the underwater is 2/5 of the map. Thats alot and we havent seen hardly much at all of the underwater. I know most will be empty, but there is still a lot to do down there.

Yea the size of it tricked me to XD i thought it was way smaller, a small fit for 1 person X)

Gucci Mane Pizza Party
  • Gucci Mane Pizza Party

autistic gangbanger

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (mrSQUADKINGS @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 15:30)

user posted image

Yea the size of it tricked me to XD i thought it was way smaller, a small fit for 1 person X)

Holy sheeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiit!!!!

mrSQUADKINGS
  • mrSQUADKINGS

--SQUAD-KINGS CLAN--

• Members

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

Does anyone have an idea what this Blue thing behind the submarine is???
is it an diffrent type of sub, or is it the grey thing that hangs underneath the submarine??

user posted image

luckyshot666
  • luckyshot666

Badfella

• Members

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE (mrSQUADKINGS @ Thursday, Sep 5 2013, 07:49)
Does anyone have an idea what this Blue thing behind the submarine is???
is it an diffrent type of sub, or is it the grey thing that hangs underneath the submarine??

user posted image

Some kind of underwater explosive maybe?
It seems to be attached to submarine.

theaudiobully87
  • theaudiobully87

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

QUOTE (Gucci Mane Pizza Party @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 15:36)
QUOTE (mrSQUADKINGS @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 15:30)

user posted image

Holy sheeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiit!!!!

Off topic but seeing Trevor all excited in that sub, waving his arms around, made me smile. He is without a doubt, my favourite of the three.

I can't wait to get in that sub, it's gonna be amazing!!!

Nordniedersachse
  • Nordniedersachse

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

I wonder how many people can get in the submarine. Would like to take the two other protagonists with me on a underwater journey or to force people in it and let them out in the deep. Is it even possible to leave the submarine under water? I know nothing about that little subs (in rl and in game).

hulkhogan1
  • hulkhogan1

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (Preusse @ Thursday, Sep 5 2013, 08:53)
I wonder how many people can get in the submarine. Would like to take the two other protagonists with me on a underwater journey or to force people in it and let them out in the deep. Is it even possible to leave the submarine under water? I know nothing about that little subs (in rl and in game).

I was wondering the same thing. In real life, if you opened up a submarine underwater, wouldn't it be impossible to re enter it, because the inside would then become submerged with water? Maybe for that instance, you'll be able to wear scuba gear while in a submarine?

Sossy
  • Sossy

Foreskin thief

• Members

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE (GTAGuy @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 23:11)
Apart from the mechanics, the only thing I'm wondering is how they are going to occlude the water shader so that it doesn't appear penetrate the hull. You can't simply model something to be water tight and stick it in water and see no water inside it. It doesn't work that way in games.

In pretty much every game, objects that are placed in water do not displace the water. Instead, they just clip into the water. The water passes right through them. Water is physically simulated on the surface for waves, but it is not a viscous material that can actually be displaced. That would just be far too demanding for today's hardware. Right now, it's just smoke and shaders to give the illusion that it's water. They're going to have to do some clever stuff to make the submarine appear as though it is water tight.

In the screenshot of the submarine, it appears as though they've done none of this yet. You can see that the water is passing right through the glass in the front of the submarine.

You really need to get laid my friend.

Nordniedersachse
  • Nordniedersachse

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

If you could enter and leave the submarine at the bottom of it, no water would come in and no air get out.

hellslave
  • hellslave

livєэvil

• Members

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:33 AM

Here's a better question (specifically for GTAO): can there be more than one sub in the water at a time, and if so, sub races, anyone?

Sylent01
  • Sylent01

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:13 AM

So if Trevor lights up a joint in there, will the capsule fill with smoke?

killahmatic
  • killahmatic

JB

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:37 AM

I think the sub will be fine unless you start bumping into shipwrecks. Other than that I imagine you can go as deep as you want for as long as you want... thats what she said.

Vorpax
  • Vorpax

Hustler

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:42 AM

Well...Lets say that IF at least "glass window" (Is that how it is called?...) isn't breakable i'll be REALLY disappointed! Thats one of the things i hyped myself immediately for when R* first officially confirmed submarines! Because that would mean we're more safe underwater because glass doesn't get damaged after hitting obstacles or being attacked by strong underwater creatures or getting cracked due to high pressure when we submerge deeper, than submarine can handle! 

mrSQUADKINGS
  • mrSQUADKINGS

--SQUAD-KINGS CLAN--

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

Well...Lets say that IF at least "glass window" (Is that how it is called?...) isn't breakable i'll be REALLY disappointed! Thats one of the things i hyped myself immediately for when R* first officially confirmed submarines! Because that would mean we're more safe underwater because glass doesn't get damaged after hitting obstacles or being attacked by strong underwater creatures or getting cracked due to high pressure when we submerge deeper, than submarine can handle! 

i been thinking of the class to.. but in the end i think that part will be safe, not sure how they gonna simulate the whater flowing into it after breakeing.
but sure, you could just ''drown'' a few seconds after it break. would love damageable submarine

mrSQUADKINGS
  • mrSQUADKINGS

--SQUAD-KINGS CLAN--

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

So if Trevor lights up a joint in there, will the capsule fill with smoke?

LOOOL would be cool, but i doubt :p

MarkClotworthy
  • MarkClotworthy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:35 AM

Hi guys!

Just a question about the submarine... do you guys think that we can walk around inside the submarine, or no? That would be so awesome if we could.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users