Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

Grand Theft Auto IV, it's been almost five years now, the game has aged well to say the least. But even when you step into the gray-grittyness that is called Liberty City today, almost five years later, the city still feels and looks amazing and alive, very much so. Every little alleyway, building and nook and cranny feels unique. It's a world made with an attention to detail that has been unprecedented and alien to gamers that are used to a 2 year or less development cycle. Although GTA IV may not have aged that much in that aspect.

The years sure did had another giant impact on the game as it's starting to feel like a period piece. Released during the final convulsions of prosperity before the worldwide economic crisis really struck us, it satirized the post 9/11 United States of 24/7 fear mongering infused by media , blowing it right open without any regard to the controversy it might cause and exposing it to the sheer ridicule it so desperately called for. Yes, those things are still evident to this date, but such a large chunk of the world, our society (and all the issues it brings) we live in today was still taking shape, back when Niko Bellic set sail for Liberty City in search of a better life.

Way back in November 2011 The first collection of moving images of GTA V already showed many little hints at the thing I was hoping. Just within a few frames of that first trailer- there it was: a guy hammering a "FOR SALE" sign into his front-lawn. The game is going to take aim at the world we've been living in for these last five years. The world where: People get evicted because the bills stack up under the auspices of police officer who could be next to have their houses foreclosed, productivity-destroying Social media has become a platform for people to post pictures of their food and politicians to post pictures of their wieners, hacktivists embarrass entire nations by leaking classified documents, hippies became mainstream again and where everything has to be a conspiracy. Because remember folks, they want to take our guns away! As I said the cultural narrative has moved on now. I can't imagine a contemporary Grand Theft Auto game, especially one set in Los Santos a parody of Los Angeles, that doesn't have something to say about Hollywood actors in fancy rehab facilities or under house arrest wearing electronic ankle monitors and websites like TMZ that have turned tactless voyeurism into a form of journalism.

I hope the script for GTA 5 wasn't locked to early to shine a nice bright light on the great 'Murican NRA(That's National Rifle association for all you people that never watched the news, out there) and their laughable and simultaneously disgusting recent behavior. Maybe Rockstar even has the guts to explore the more straight out disgusting and blatantly opportunistic elements of American tragedies. For example all the recent shootings. Something a lot of Jolly-old politicians and FOX News comedians are trying to pin on the video game industry. it feels particularly well-suited for Rockstar to jump on the bandwagon, magnifying the sheer ridiculousness of their claims right here.

Not to mention on a myriad of other issues. We've had the wonderful Weasel News which consisted of pure satirical goodness. And while GTA V is set on the West Coast of the US of A in beautiful (hemp-rich) California. I hope that Dan who is himself proud Oxford graduate, manages to find some room for issues like for example the insanity of austerity, the untouchable wall street yuppies and the present day SEC. It would be outright out of place to play a GTA game in 2013 that didn't see the world through a wider lens than GTA IV. And Rockstar can pull this of as Rockstar isn't partisan in their approach, because they don't have to be: A GTA game holds a big mirror up to the world we call our own and unintentionally
forces us to take a long, very hard look. And rethink what is in fact important.

Now I'm gonna conclude in a very typical way, after giving you a lot of examples of satire I personally would like to see: What do YOU want in terms of satire, and no satire doesn't mean fart jokes or anything of that order . (I know this maybe is a cliché way to conclude, but hey reader centricity and their feedback is key)

-----

In short (for all those lazy A-holes out there that aren't able to read more than 3 sentences: GTA V, the next crown jewel of controversy-loving Rockstar Games. A game set in a time (present day), that simply screams to be satirized to the most extreme extent possible.

Even more shorter (for the real casual forumer out there: I want: Social, political, societal SATIRE!

Ermacs
  • Ermacs

Leave a message.

• Members
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

Brilliant post Raavi. icon14.gif People that say GTA IV lacked humor either don't understand satire, don't live in the US, or didn't listen to the radio enough. It was so spot on for that time.

I really hope it isn't too late in the development cycle to get in some pokes about the whole "THE GOVERNMENT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY OUR GUNS" fiasco. I just know it would be hilarious.

UberVIIX
  • UberVIIX

I got your girl sucking on that kumquat juice...

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

HERE HERE!

Edit: It's actually HEAR HEAR! I'm a jackass

helloworld
  • helloworld

Rat

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

I don't see how they can ridicule NRA in a GTA game, if you catch my drift

reform
  • reform

Beaten, battered, bruised, Told to get down

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (helloworld @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 19:18)

They have before.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

Yes, we need even more satire in GTA V. Satire is one of the key elements, along with story and sandbox gameplay, of a GTA title. It needs to be racist, sexist, stupid, stereotypical, moronic, and everything else that defines the word "satire".

Freezer89
  • Freezer89

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

Satire is one of the main reasons why I like the GTA series.

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (Freezer89 @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 20:20)
Satire is one of the main reasons why I like the GTA series. C

My point exactly I want GTA V to touch all that no one else, no newspaper, no movie, no Ubisoft, no nothing dares to touch.

jogy
  • jogy

GTAF Alumni

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

Love your post Raavi. Well done! And of course I am also a fan of the satire in the game. Can't wait!

zainzombie
  • zainzombie

PRE-ORDER CANCELLED! *sob sob*

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

That was a good read and very well written!

Noclue_42
  • Noclue_42

How much for the ape?!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

Ha I knew before I read the OP that it would be a fun read. I had to laugh at the topic title ;D

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

"Something a lot of Jolly-old politicians and FOX News comedians are trying to pin on the video game industry."

Entirely possible because Michael's son (Jimmy) plays video games - a lot, I assume. And his dad is 'addicted to chaos', so that would be easy to slip in.

Graven
  • Graven

Boss

• The Connection
  • Finland
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

GTA ain´t a GTA without good humor. Sure there´s gonna be social and political satire.

archiebunker
  • archiebunker

Working Class Hero

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (helloworld @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 14:18)

felinegood
  • felinegood

gonna tear your ass straight up the middle

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:45 PM

republican space rangers FTW!

Apex Predator
  • Apex Predator

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:51 PM Edited by DE4TH, 04 May 2013 - 07:53 PM.

Great thread Raavi. I love the fact that the Republican Space Rangers are returning, I laughed so f*cking hard at that show in IV. Satire is one of GTA's trademarks.

@archiebunker He sounds like Alex Jones doesn't he? lol

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

My question is how. How do you satirize someone like Richard Mourdock who literally says that rape is god's will? How do you satirize rifles made for youths? How do you satirize the radio host that told newtown victims to go to hell?

Seriously, how do you get more crazy than that? They're going to need to hire the writers of the onion for this one.

reform
  • reform

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (Racecarlock @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 19:53)
My question is how. How do you satirize someone like Richard Mourdock who literally says that rape is god's will? How do you satirize rifles made for youths? How do you satirize the radio host that told newtown victims to go to hell?

Seriously, how do you get more crazy than that? They're going to need to hire the writers of the onion for this one.

I enjoyed this post.

***** - "Would read again!"

Snake Without a Tongue
  • Snake Without a Tongue

Franklin Shot Tupac

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:58 PM

Good question. Good Lord, we really do live in a postmodern age.

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (Racecarlock @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 20:53)

First of all great post! I can see Rockstar making entire religious talk shows on the radio go all out on the absurdity like "Rape, rape is the gift of god, rape is what god gave this the world" "Women should be glad a man is willing to stick his religious artifact in unknown, maybe even satanic territory!" Or something along said lines. As far as guns for toddlers and the radio host go.. Yeah I'm still speechless about that.

reform
  • reform

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 20:02)
QUOTE (Racecarlock @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 20:53)

First of all great post! I can see Rockstar making entire religious talk shows on the radio go all out on the absurdity like "Rape, rape is the gift of god, rape is what god gave this the world" "Women should be glad a man is willing to stick his religious artifact in unknown, maybe even satanic territory!" Or something along said lines. As far as guns for toddlers and the radio host go.. Yeah I'm still speechless about that.

A caller from a kindergarten/daycare center/etc phoning in to say "we're not taking any chances when it comes to armed intuders, that's why we've armed all our children with M16s!"

Alenko
  • Alenko

BEST IN THE WORLD.

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE (mr6plow9 @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 13:16)
Brilliant post Raavi. icon14.gif People that say GTA IV lacked humor either don't understand satire, don't live in the US, or didn't listen to the radio enough. It was so spot on for that time.

I really hope it isn't too late in the development cycle to get in some pokes about the whole "THE GOVERNMENT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY OUR GUNS" fiasco. I just know it would be hilarious.

It was. The game has aged, but the subject matter from 2007 is on target. I actually feel like I'm back in 2007. The old out dated phones, the constant terrorist threats, it made it right.

I wonder what V will be? NRA? conspiracy theories with a NWO?

Alenko
  • Alenko

BEST IN THE WORLD.

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (Snake Without a Tongue @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 13:58)

Good question. Good Lord, we really do live in a postmodern age.

We live in a GTA world. lol.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

I don't think there will be an NRA satire but we will certainly get a Tea Party satired and they will make fun of the far right.

I would also like to see a satire of Real Housewives, Kardashians and all those reality shows.

I also wonder if Sandy Shores is a reference to hurricane Sandy.

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE (woggleman @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 22:53)
I don't think there will be an NRA satire but we will certainly get a Tea Party satired and they will make fun of the far right.

I would also like to see a satire of Real Housewives, Kardashians and all those reality shows.

That's a good one! That didn't cross my mind. "Sandy" could be a reference to hurricane sandy (that delayed their second trailer!).

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 21:59)
QUOTE (woggleman @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 22:53)

That's a good one! That didn't cross my mind. "Sandy" could be a reference to hurricane sandy (that delayed their second trailer!).

That and it also affected shore towns the worst. I live at the Jersey Shore so I have seen it first hand.

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

In light of recent disgusting breakdowns from conspiracy theorists of even more horrific events, I can see things like this being featured on a parody of Alex Jones's youtube channel (tv).

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (helloworld @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 19:18)

And I'm sure it'll be even more tongue-in-cheek than IV. LA practically makes fun of itself biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users