» «
Photo

Why is Franklin Hated so much

722 replies to this topic
ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:18 PM Edited by rodneythesavior, 04 May 2013 - 01:22 PM.

QUOTE (Official General @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 06:12)

Stop b*tchin man.

You've got Michael and Trevor to suits your needs, leave Franklin alone for those who like the gang and hood stuff.

This would be all well and good, if the stories were separate, and it wasn't mandatory to play this storyline to progress the ones we care about. For the people like me, Rockstar has given us two scoops of ice cream, but informed us that in order to eat it, we have to also eat a pile of cheetah crap.

We have just as much right to bitch as you guys do.

YG Low Down
  • YG Low Down

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE (Official General @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 13:12)
QUOTE (rodneythesavior @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 13:11)
QUOTE (The Scottish Guy @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 06:01)
Liquor is rarely added to milkshakes, yet I still have a distaste for it.

Just because something isn't done very often, means I have to enjoy it?  confused.gif

Interesting logic there fella.

I agree with this. Its been 12 years since I've been legitimately punched in the face, but when it happens again, I'm not going to be happy about it.

You take cover a turd in glitter and gumdrops, but its still sh*t. There isn't much else you can do with the gang banger story, except get the character to quit the gang, give up his fellow bank robbers, and go into witness protection.

Stop b*tchin man.

You've got Michael and Trevor to suits your needs, leave Franklin alone for those who like the gang and hood stuff.

Exactly, especially online. All the Franklin haters stay in the countryside and suburbs and do not come to the ghetto if you really hate the setting that much

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

@ rodneythesaviour

While I prefer Franklin the most out of all the 3 protagonists, I'm still excited to play as Michael, Trevor not so much, but I still have no problem giving him a go, just to check him out. In short, I'm glad to experience and explore 3 different characters with 3 different storyline perspectives.

I'm not narrow, one-track minded like you. My horizons are broadened and my tastes are more varied. So I should have a much more enjoyable experience of the game than you.

So no b*tchin' from me.

brucie_suckyou
  • brucie_suckyou

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (rodneythesavior @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 13:18)

Stop b*tchin man.

This would be all well and good, if the stories were separate, and it wasn't mandatory to play this storyline to progress the ones we care about. For the people like me, rock star has given us two scoops of ice cream, but informs us that in order to eat it, we have to also eat a pile of cheetah crap.

What?! Micheal and Trevor are scoops of ice cream??

ROFLMAO

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (brucie_suckyou @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 13:06)
QUOTE (The Scottish Guy @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 13:01)
QUOTE (The Made Man @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 12:53)
Im going to say this yet again like I said on another thread
how can people fcking hate the gangsta theme when it hasn't been even done since 2004!!!!! Yet the mob story had always been predominant in EVERY GTA game since GTA 3!

Hating Frank just because he USE TO BE a gang member is stupid, when the gang banging storyline rarely has been done in video games. Come the fck on.

The reason why people love Franklin because there hasn't been an African American protagonist since fcking 2004!!!! And that that the gang banging storyline hasn't been done since 2004!!! Are some if these people serious???

Just because something isn't done very often, means I have to enjoy it? confused.gif

What about Baileys Irish Cream?
I don't drink it myself but lots of people do.

Not a milkshake, but still rather enjoyable in small doses.

@General

Not quite sure you got my point. I'm not complaining about Franklin being present in the game, the very opposite in fact - adds to a more diverse and potential laden campaign. I'm rather explaining why his story interests me less than the other too considering it so far feels nothing fresh to me. I just don't get the sudden burst in popularity after his trailer other than it giving people a sense of nostalgia to the SA days, which again strengthens my point that so far, Franklins narrative is nothing new.

If you guys love the hood aspect, great. Again, it's nothing to do with that, but rather my interest in something original playing part to me finding his story less exciting.

The Made Man
  • The Made Man

Frank Matthews...The Guy that won...

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

how can people fcking hate the gangsta theme when it hasn't been even done since 2004!!!!! Yet the mob story had always been predominant in EVERY GTA game since GTA 3!

Hating Frank just because he USE TO BE a gang member is stupid, when the gang banging storyline rarely has been done in video games. Come the fck on.

The reason why people love Franklin because there hasn't been an African American protagonist since fcking 2004!!!! And that that the gang banging storyline hasn't been done since 2004!!! Are some if these people serious???

Just because something isn't done very often, means I have to enjoy it? confused.gif

Thats not my FREAKING point! And fail logic by you.

My point is that if somebody has rarely been done why whine and complain about? The people hating the gangsta theme act like it has ALWAYS been done in GTA games and its being flushed done their throats. When that is not even true. You don't see the people who are fans of the Gangsta theme whine about the mob theme. When in fact the Mob theme has ALWAYS been done in video games(not only GTA)...so why are you guys complaining??? Why are you guys acting like its being forced sown your throats???

YG Low Down
  • YG Low Down

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

Stop b*tchin man.

This would be all well and good, if the stories were separate, and it wasn't mandatory to play this storyline to progress the ones we care about. For the people like me, Rockstar has given us two scoops of ice cream, but informed us that in order to eat it, we have to also eat a pile of cheetah crap.

I see where this is going when I get online im expecting to be called all sorts of ni**ers and chicken jokes. Which the chicken jokes I never understood cause everybody eats chicken but besides that you little racist 15 year old cowards are going to act a fool with the race game. It will become like call of duty with the most racist fan base ever.

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (The Made Man @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 13:24)

My point is that if somebody has rarely been done why whine and complain about? The people hating the gangsta theme act like it has ALWAYS been done in GTA games and its being flushed done their throats. When that is not even true. You don't see the people who are fans of the Gangsta theme whine about the mob theme. When in fact the Mob theme has ALWAYS been done in video games(not only GTA)...so why are you guys complaining??? Why are you guys acting like its being forced sown your throats???

I refer you to my last previous point.

skyfamster
  • skyfamster

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

[QUOTE=Official General,Saturday, May 4 2013, 06:12]
Rockstar has given us two scoops of ice cream, but informed us that in order to eat it, we have to also eat a pile of cheetah crap.

Whether gang story is crap or cake,depends on who develop it.

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (Official General @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 06:21)
@ rodneythesaviour

While I prefer Franklin the most out of all the 3 protagonists, I'm still excited to play as Michael, Trevor not so much, but I still have no problem giving him a go, just to check him out. In short, I'm glad to experience and explore 3 different characters with 3 different storyline perspectives.

I'm not narrow, one-track minded like you. My horizons are broadened and my tastes are more varied. So I should have a much more enjoyable experience of the game than you.

So no b*tchin' from me.

This is the problem with society today, I insulted something you like, not you. There is no need to try and insult me.

Franklin's story is stale. Gang banger wants out, gets sucked back in, tries harder to get out, friend gets him to come back, on and on until the inevitable twist comes along.

Sure, you could say the same about michael's story, but at least the dialog doesn't sound like a bad 90's movie.

GTAfan786
  • GTAfan786

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

Half the people who are complaining about Franklin are racist c*nts. You DON'T have to use him you know?!

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (GTAfan786 @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 06:27)
Half the people who are complaining about Franklin are racist c*nts. You DON'T have to use him you know?!

1.) Not true
2.) Yes you do

YG Low Down
  • YG Low Down

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (rodneythesavior @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 13:27)
@ rodneythesaviour

So no b*tchin' from me.

This is the problem with society today, I insulted something you like, not you. There is no need to try and insult me.

Franklin's story is stale. Gang banger wants out, gets sucked back in, tries harder to get out, friend gets him to come back, on and on until the inevitable twist comes along.

Sure, you could say the same about michael's story, but at least the dialog doesn't sound like a bad 90's movie.

BUT WHO CARES WHAT YOU THINK? SINCE WHEN DID ROCKSTAR GIVE A f*ck ABOUT WHAT YOU SPECIFICALLY THINK?

GTAfan786
  • GTAfan786

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (rodneythesavior @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 13:29)
QUOTE (GTAfan786 @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 06:27)

1.) Not true
2.) Yes you do

No you don't. All characters are needed in SPECIFIC missions, not all. Get your facts right. You people ALWAYS look for something else to bitch about.l

The Made Man
  • The Made Man

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (The Scottish Guy @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 13:25)
QUOTE (The Made Man @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 13:24)

I refer you to my last previous point.

I really wasn't addressing you in the first place but the people who complain about the hood theme. You just replied to my post. Your reason for disliking Frank had NOTHING to do with my rant. So I don't know why you replied to my post. You say Frank offers nothing new?Okay...But that wasn't my point in my post.

My point was why complain and whine about the hood element when it has not been done in AGES! Thats what I was saying...

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE (The Made Man @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 13:18)
Seriously MOST people hate Franklin bexause he's black.

Well done in demonstrating your OWN ignorance.

I'm done with you for today.

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:35 PM Edited by AtomicPunk, 04 May 2013 - 01:40 PM.

QUOTE (ultimatelizardman @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 07:28)
I'm skeptical about Franklin because he looks like an archetypical black "gangsta", this leads to him having a high chance of ending up as a boring and cliched character whose story focuses solely on increasingly improbable high-action events and whose background is found in a very mainstream culture which lacks room for originality.

Very well said. icon14.gif

I think a lot of people see Franklin as a 'been there, done that CJ-type of character'. R* didn't show enough of his personal life so that people can really connect with him, other than the: 'tryin' to get outta the hood and gang' persona, and that's been done to death, and a lot of fans need more than that. I hope he isn't just another cliché, loud-mouthed CJ, because if he is, then no thanks. I hope he has depth,--something more than just the typical black dude tryin' to get out of the ghetto. He needs a good back story. I think that's what's going on. It isn't because everybody's out to get the poor black man! lol

Franklin is my least fav right now with Trevor at numero uno.

Getzmunney
  • Getzmunney

On september 17..the streets will be on hush mode

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

They aint gotta like it cause the hood gone love it

The Made Man
  • The Made Man

• Members

QUOTE (rodneythesavior @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 13:27)
@ rodneythesaviour

So no b*tchin' from me.

How is it stale when it hasn't even been done in a GTA game? CJ did not leave his gang behind, but Franklin wants to. Thats if you're trying to make a connection with SA like so many people do with Frank...And again the hood theme hadn't been done by R since 2004...

brucie_suckyou
  • brucie_suckyou

Snitch

• Members

To summarize:

*Some people are racist and dislike Franklin because he is black (these people are morons)

*Some people love Franklin because he is black (this is fine but also another form of racism)

*Some love him because of San Andreas nostalgia. (this is also fine)

*Some people dislike him because all we have seen of him is a constantly annoyed/criticizing 2 dimensional character.

No need to write more.

Close thread.

The Made Man
  • The Made Man

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (The Scottish Guy @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 13:34)
QUOTE (The Made Man @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 13:18)
Seriously MOST people hate Franklin bexause he's black.

Well done in demonstrating your OWN ignorance.

I'm done with you for today.

Don't reply to my fcking post when I wasn't even originally addressing you.

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (The Made Man @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 06:31)
My point was why complain and whine about the hood element when it has not been done in AGES! Thats what I was saying...

If someone close to you kicked you right in the asshole, so hard that you bled, but the waited several years to do it again, according to your logic, you shouldn't complain about it. After all, t had been AGES since it happened last, right?

GTAfan786
  • GTAfan786

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (rodneythesavior @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 13:38)
My point was why complain and whine about  the hood element when it has not been done in AGES! Thats what I was saying...

If someone close to you kicked you right in the asshole, so hard that you bled, but the waited several years to do it again, according to your logic, you shouldn't complain about it. After all, t had been AGES since it happened last, right?

If you don't like Franklin, don't use him. Like i said before, you only need all the characters in SPECIFIC missions, not all. Besides, this isn't the same hood element from SA, Franklin wants to get out of the hood and do something bigger in life unlike CJ. If you are trying to be stereotypical, you are doing it wrong.

The Made Man
  • The Made Man

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (AtomicPunk @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 13:35)
QUOTE (ultimatelizardman @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 07:28)
I'm skeptical about Franklin because he looks like an archetypical black "gangsta", this leads to him having a high chance of ending up as a boring and cliched character whose story focuses solely on increasingly improbable high-action events and whose background is found in a very mainstream culture which lacks room for originality.

Very well said. icon14.gif

I think a lot of people see Franklin as a 'been there, done that CJ-type of character'. R* didn't show enough of his personal life so that people can really connect with him, other than the: 'tryin' to get outta the hood and gang' persona, and that's been done to death, and a lot of fans need more than that. I hope he isn't just another cliché, loud-mouthed CJ, because if he is, then no thanks. I hope he has depth,--something more than just the typical black dude tryin' to get out of the ghetto. He needs a good back story. I think that's what's going on. It isn't because everybody's out to get the poor black man! lol

Frank and CJ have NOTHING in common..why are people keep thinking that. The only thing they have in common is that their both African American and were/are in gangs. Luis was too a part of a gang. Was he also like CJ?

I didn't even like CJ like that, not because he was a gang banger or because he was black, but due to his personality. Both Franks and CJ's personalities are DIFFERENT. Why are people keep thinking they are the same?

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:43 PM Edited by Official General, 04 May 2013 - 01:47 PM.

QUOTE (The Scottish Guy @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 13:22)
@General

Not quite sure you got my point. I'm not complaining about Franklin being present in the game, the very opposite in fact - adds to a more diverse and potential laden campaign. I'm rather explaining why his story interests me less than the other too considering it so far feels nothing fresh to me. I just don't get the sudden burst in popularity after his trailer other than it giving people a sense of nostalgia to the SA days, which again strengthens my point that so far, Franklins narrative is nothing new.

If you guys love the hood aspect, great. Again, it's nothing to do with that, but rather my interest in something original playing part to me finding his story less exciting.

@ Scottish

Okay, that is a valid enough explanation to clear that up. I now get what you mean icon14.gif

But on the other hand, let's be fair here. Regardless of what info we know about him, we still don't know Franklin's full story yet, so making assumptions about it being unoriginal is still a bit premature in my view. In any case, just because his story or character maybe appear to be unoriginal, it don't automatically mean it will be a bit boring or less enjoyable. Many times people just want more of the same but bigger, better, more polished and much more improved, GTA is no different - this has been demonstrated with the fact that Franklin's popularity has surged and rapidly multiplied after Franklin's trailer was released. It just shows that many GTA fans still just want some classic, fast-paced crime/gang action, the kind of stuff that made GTA great in the first place - I believe that is probably the reason why so many people on here now like Franklin the most.

Not everyone who plays GTA may be very interested in or keen on originality, this mid-life crisis/family thing with Michael might not even work, and in fact many, people might find that theme very boring in itself. Some people might just want a pure criminal/gangster and see that kind of thing as 'soft'. As for Trevor, yeah he's extremely wild, uncontrollable and crazy which is quite new for a GTA protagonist - but then some people may quickly find his story repetitive and tedious, some people may want more substance and depth to a story than just pure mayhem and violence.

However I personally believe all 3 protagonists will have amazing, interesting and very enjoyable characters and storylines, regardless of my preference for Franklin. It's still to early to say what will be the best, most interesting or most exciting part of this game. We should all just fully appreciate the variety that is on offer here.

baguvix_wanrltw
  • baguvix_wanrltw

Cynical, yeah. Bitter, probably.

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

If R* have balls they'll give Franklin's story a "Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood" vibe. Old sh*t is old.

user posted image user posted image

Of course V is basically III + VC + SA so the other old sh*t is even older but that means it's been longer since we last saw it - perceptions, perceptions...

Platinvm
  • Platinvm

GTA V: Chop's Adventures

• Members

If having a character like Franklin in GTA V means you couldn't enjoy the game, why would you buy it? Stop complaining, you're not forced to play it because it says "Grand Theft Auto" on the box. It's the combination of all three that make the game and I will enjoy playing with them all equally. In fact, to be more on topic... I like having Franklin as a protagonist, just because he's so different from Michael and Trevor.

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members

QUOTE (GTAfan786 @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 06:40)
My point was why complain and whine about  the hood element when it has not been done in AGES! Thats what I was saying...

If you don't like Franklin, don't use him. Like i said before, you only need all the characters in SPECIFIC missions, not all. Besides, this isn't the same hood element from SA, Franklin wants to get out of the hood and do something bigger in life unlike CJ. If you are trying to be stereotypical, you are doing it wrong.

So, the story is magically going to progress itself? Franklins missions are going to have to be played. You're not just going to be able to skip over them. We have to witness the gangsta bullsh*t, we have to play through the missions that progress Franklin's story, we HAVE to play as him for some parts.

The Made Man
  • The Made Man

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:45 PM Edited by The Made Man, 04 May 2013 - 01:48 PM.

Are you serious? -__-

Thats your counter point? Because I believe this is a game and not real life. Lol.. So what you're telling me is that when you played GTA SA somebody kicked you in your ass and now you are butthurt?

The Made Man
  • The Made Man

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (baguvix_wanrltw @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 13:43)
If R* have balls they'll give Franklin's story a "Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood" vibe. Old sh*t is old.

user posted image user posted image

Of course V is basically III + VC + SA so the other old sh*t is even older but that means it's been longer since we last saw it - perceptions, perceptions...

No.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users