Photo

Why is Franklin Hated so much

722 replies to this topic
SWEET P. NWA
  • SWEET P. NWA

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:34 AM

After reading and watching all of the previews for GTA 5, it seems as if Franklin is the most disliked character. For example IGN said he had the weakest trailer and it reminded them of SA. But if you like SA its a good thing(9 years since SA came out) and I thought Franklin had one of the best trailers because it had good depth and interesting action scenes. When it comes down to asking for your favourite character is, its always either Michael or Trevor. Why do you think the gaming media are bashing on Franklin so much?

Jakee.
  • Jakee.

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

f*ck IGN.

Don't read into their crap, seriously.. there are much better gaming news outlets, IGN are all about money and if they get a sizeable amount of cash coming their way, they will praise a game to the max.

E.G Mass Effect 3.
  • atsjoonas, NoSignal666 and Jeff Holmes like this

SlappyPwnsAss
  • SlappyPwnsAss

I done kept it real from tha jump

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

IGN. Thats the reason.

Everyone loved Franklin's trailer (from what i can tell).

golf wang
  • golf wang

Westside!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

Because he's seen as the "typical" GTA character and people assume he will lack depth or whatever. I don't care though, Franklin's been my favorite since the beginning. cool.gif
  • drunkenMUNKEY78 likes this

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

Well, initially I didn't really like Franklin; after the trailer I see him as a very interesting character turn.gif

Prince Gumball
  • Prince Gumball

It's not like anyone cares anyway

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

Because IGN

that's why.

Blazevski12
  • Blazevski12

Hustler

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

I didn't like Franklin, but after his trailer he is becoming my second favorite icon14.gif .

RomansMoobs
  • RomansMoobs

Playa

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

I think he's a good character and he'll play an important role, but he's nothing new really... I think that's why people don't like him.

maxilmilguess
  • maxilmilguess

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

i think trevor is the best character, but i like similar franklin smile.gif

Honest Bill
  • Honest Bill

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

It'ss simply because the other two are markedly different from the usual character archetype. Whereas Franklin seems fairly typical of a protagonist we have all seen before. Nobody has actually played it yet though, so for all we know Franklin may turn out to be awesome. It's just that they still haven't revealed anything about his character, even his personal trailer only alluded to what we already knew about him. He's tired of being a typical gangbanger.

I'm glad he want bigger and better crime though. At least they didn't stick with the 'going straight' protagonist. There's nothing more irritating than a character who wants the exact opposite of what the player wants.. But Franklin's goals should be more aligned with our own. He wants all the thrills of large scale crime, loves the adrenaline rush and is extremely ambitious.

Blazevski12
  • Blazevski12

Hustler

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (maxilmilguess @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 09:53)

Well i personaly think that Trevor is much overated ( in my opinion), I realy can't see why he is such popular.

Honest Bill
  • Honest Bill

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (Blazevski12 @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 09:56)
QUOTE (maxilmilguess @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 09:53)

Well i personaly think that Trevor is much overated ( in my opinion), I realy can't see why he is such popular.

Because he's insane and unpredictable.

aaronimpact
  • aaronimpact

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

I thought Michaels trailer was the least interesting out of the 3. Too much boring home life sh*t.

downthrough
  • downthrough

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

honestly i wondered this too. as a white male i feel like a lot of the reason franklin was made to feel like a lesser character was the lack of "cultural appreciation" I.E. there were very few black journalists previewing the game (could be wrong on this point) therefore there was a culturally biased opinion. i'm not saying the journalist were racist. just that they identified more with there similar cultural counterparts.
  • maine27 likes this

SWEET P. NWA
  • SWEET P. NWA

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE (downthrough @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 10:13)
honestly i wondered this too. as a white male i feel like a lot of the reason franklin was made to feel like a lesser character was the lack of "cultural appreciation" I.E. there were very few black journalists previewing the game (could be wrong on this point) therefore there was a culturally biased opinion. i'm not saying the journalist were racist. just that they identified more with there similar cultural counterparts.

this

themailman118
  • themailman118

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE (Jakee. @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 09:36)
f*ck IGN.

Don't read into their crap, seriously.. there are much better gaming news outlets, IGN are all about money and if they get a sizeable amount of cash coming their way, they will praise a game to the max.

E.G Mass Effect 3.

EA pay them to lick their balls basically.

gtafreak316
  • gtafreak316

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

I will admit I wasn't sold on the Franklin character until the trailers were revealed. Now he is probably my second favourite behind Trevor. And that's not a knock on Michael, I think all three will be fun to play as, but those two are now the ones who really have my interest.

OFWGKTA
  • OFWGKTA

Molly Abuser

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

He's my favorite from the beginning. But the reason why people would hate him is because they have that stereotype gangbanger vision of him. They just don't think.

To be honest, I think Trevor is overrated. It looks like he will be fun to play as, but it also looks like he has no depth at all. I could be wrong though.

ultimatelizardman
  • ultimatelizardman

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

I'm skeptical about Franklin because he looks like an archetypical black "gangsta", this leads to him having a high chance of ending up as a boring and cliched character whose story focuses solely on increasingly improbable high-action events and whose background is found in a very mainstream culture which lacks room for originality.

nigelhere9901
  • nigelhere9901

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

You can't spell IGNorant without IGN.

Skitzo100
  • Skitzo100

Windy city

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

I said screw ign! They are bunch of headed an*ls combined into one big headed an*ls a*s chumps . And the dude the with long beard got squirrel hair for a beard. Not cool, looking like pubic hair from the a*s and bit of armpits hair and just stuck it on his Chen. mad.gif

Also there article is bogus saying that there's no difference between previous gta and gtav. angry.gif

Ben73
  • Ben73

Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

Because he ain't a good enough gangbanger.

GTA_freakydeaky
  • GTA_freakydeaky

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

Because he's black..... R* know the gaming media is built up of mostly white people don't you see there inside joke? "You aint gotta like it cause the hood gon love it" R* make the games they wanna make and no body's racism is gonna stop them.

AndrewDeSanta
  • AndrewDeSanta

Republitarian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

Stop giving IGN so much sh*t, sure they're biased as fu*k and they ride CoD's d**k but at the end of their day it's their job and they do what they have to do. Honestly, Franklin is my least favourite mainly because people are trying to make him out as the new CJ and CJ was a punk ass whiny b**h and what we've seen so far is nothing like CJ. SA's whole story wasn't my kind of thing (amazing game though). All i'm trying to say is the reason many people don't like franklin is because people are trying to make him out someone he's not.

GroundZero
  • GroundZero

Criminally Insane

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

It's a complicated story... it starts from the many SA fanboys around here, who are pretty much hated by everyone else, for their over-the-top nostalgia of GTA: SA. Franklin reminds a lot of people of CJ, who is also hated because of the fanboyism. Hence, Franklin is hated by many people...

LHDH-EYE_
  • LHDH-EYE_

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

Never seen people hate on Franklin. And half these theories on why people do are the most retarded posts i've read on this site.

SWEET P. NWA
  • SWEET P. NWA

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (Ben73 @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 11:40)

Your sounding more and more of a sn-eye-ch ever'day.

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

Its because everyone subconsciously has figured out the twist in GTAV. Franklin will betray Michael and Trevor, he's a little baby-backed bitch, and everyone who can see past the SA nostalgia filter, can see that.

AlienWillHeMonsta
  • AlienWillHeMonsta

Prankster

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE (SlavicAssasin224 @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 11:45)
Stop giving IGN so much sh*t, sure they're biased as fu*k and they ride CoD's d**k but at the end of their day it's their job and they do what they have to do. Honestly, Franklin is my least favourite mainly because people are trying to make him out as the new CJ and CJ was a punk ass whiny b**h and what we've seen so far is nothing like CJ. SA's whole story wasn't my kind of thing (amazing game though). All i'm trying to say is the reason many people don't like franklin is because people are trying to make him out someone he's not.

I've stated before that Niko is the most whiny GTA character I've ever come across and god knows how someone who's just off the boat can start behaving like he owned Liberty city. If I was a mobster I would have had him taken out without any warning. Not to say I disliked the character but if you're new in town don't start behaving like you own it.

I've listened to the IGN, CVG and another review and I don't think any of them rated Franklin's trailer higher than Trevor or Michael. Probably because they can't identify with him. I laughed when when one of the reviewers fast forwarded through the bit where Franklin enters the strip club.

Prince Gumball
  • Prince Gumball

It's not like anyone cares anyway

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (SWEET P. NWA @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 12:03)
QUOTE (Ben73 @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 11:40)

Your sounding more and more of a sn-eye-ch ever'day.

Busta, Straight busta.

Its probably because everyone's saying he's just a predictable gangbanger.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users