Quantcast

» «
Photo

Neon Genesis Evangelion ending.

11 replies to this topic
AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:47 AM

I just finished watching that classic anime, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and overall, it was amazing. I loved it, you should check it out if you have the time. Great characters, great setting, it was all awesome. There was just one problem:

What the hell was that?

Could someone who's also watched it explain what the ending was to me? Please, I'm losing my mind and I play Silent Hill and I'm used to sh*t like this. I'm going to watch End of Evangelion soon so maybe that will explain something but I've heard things.

Here there be spoilers by the way.

Melchior
  • Melchior

The blood of our martyrs will water the meadows of France

• The Connection
  • Unknown

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:04 AM

It was instrumentality, the project SEELE and NERV were working on to make humanity "one with god." Basically, all of humanity lost their physical form, and the very last scene with everyone standing around Shinji, is them explaining to him that existence isn't inherently negative (it's only his perception that makes him think that "you feel sad when it rains but rainy days can be fun too"), and at the end Shinji decides to reject instrumentality and go back to physical existence (hence "Congratulations!"). In the film, you get to see how they enact instrumentality and what the world is like when Shinji goes back to it.

The end of the film is easily the best scene in a movie I've ever seen.

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

Oh alright, that connects I guess. Its just such an abstract and bizarre style of ending it. Didn't they run out of money during the run and that's why its such a mind screw ending? I've heard the film is how they originally planned to end the series.

Melchior
  • Melchior

• The Connection
  • Unknown

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE (AceRay @ Friday, May 3 2013, 19:22)
Oh alright, that connects I guess. Its just such an abstract and bizarre style of ending it. Didn't they run out of money during the run and that's why its such a mind screw ending? I've heard the film is how they originally planned to end the series.

The mind screw is what happens inside instrumentality, so there's plenty of mind screw in End of Evangelion. But yes, I imagine that they intended to show instrumentality being realised in the series but simply couldn't afford it.

But I'm not sure, they're just rumours after all. People also said the two really long scenes were to save money (Unit 1 holding Kaworu in its hand before popping his head off and Rei and Asuka in the elevator) but those really do seem to have been done for effect.

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

End of Evangelion is hands down one of my favourite movies of all time, I've watched it and the series numerous times and still adore it. If you also want to continue the mindf*ckery start watching Rebuild Of Evangelion, the first one starts off normal, the second one diverges and the third one... well just, yeah.

The money thing, it isn't strictly rumour they did have money issues during the run but contributing to that as well was Anno's own sanity, he became heavily depressed over the course of creating Evangelion and this is reflected in how the series ultimate turned out. If you look at the original production plan for the episodes it is very different, it was around episode 16/17 that they started to face these issues though and hence the final few episodes suffered. End Of Evangelion is considered a more definitive ending, and depending on what way you look at it is either an alternative or a compliment to the series ending.

You can also consider some of EoE to be a massive middle finger to some of the Japanese fans, death threats sent to Anno after the creation of Eva flash up at certain points. Certainly a ride.

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

Just finished watching EoE last night. I guess both endings are canon, as the original endings are from a psychological perspective whereas EoE is the physical ramifications... or something. (Now I get why its a Gainax ending.) nervous.gif But the original run ends on a positive note (I guess) whereas at the end of EoE, it ends on a dark note so I guess they're not? Hmm. I also guess that all the characters dying represents different parts of Shinji dying ie his sanity, his sexual desires and such.

Not sure I'm going to watch Rebuild, I've heard some bad things about the third one.

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (AceRay @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 23:05)
Just finished watching EoE last night. I guess both endings are canon, as the original endings are from a psychological perspective whereas EoE is the physical ramifications... or something. (Now I get why its a Gainax ending.) nervous.gif But the original run ends on a positive note (I guess) whereas at the end of EoE, it ends on a dark note so I guess they're not? Hmm. I also guess that all the characters dying represents different parts of Shinji dying ie his sanity, his sexual desires and such.

Not sure I'm going to watch Rebuild, I've heard some bad things about the third one.

Honestly it's best to make your own judgement on it, especially with the third one. A lot of the Eva fans on the forums I hang around in loved it and I adored the first two. It's a complete mindf*ck and new direction but it's beautiful.

The two endings, yeah both are considered canon but there are numerous interpretations, some see the TV ending as happening during the instrumentality sequence in EoE, some see Eva TV as Shinji accepting Instrumentality and forging a new personal reality, and some view EoE as Shinji rejecting it and going back to the real world where there is pain but it is at least real.

Melchior
  • Melchior

• The Connection
  • Unknown

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:25 AM

Wait, what? At the end of the series Shinji basically says he wants to live in the physical world.

I'm fairly certain the scene with Shinji and Asuka on the beach was meant to directly follow the "congratulations!" scene.

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE (Melchior @ Sunday, May 5 2013, 05:25)
Wait, what? At the end of the series Shinji basically says he wants to live in the physical world.

I'm fairly certain the scene with Shinji and Asuka on the beach was meant to directly follow the "congratulations!" scene.

Does he? It's been a while since I've seen it so. Don't remember that. I mean personally I'm of the same opinion you are but I have seen people interpret them differently, I think mostly due to the school scene after it, where it depicts Shinjis family and having been friends with Asuka since childhood as him accepting it.

Melchior
  • Melchior

• The Connection
  • Unknown

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

The school scene precedes this one, because it shows Shinji that perception is so fragile that it's pointless to agonise and lament over things by showing him another reality (and ergo, a world where he has a different perspective) where Asuka treats him the same but it doesn't phase him and he genuinely enjoys life.

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:56 AM Edited by gta_king, 05 May 2013 - 03:38 PM.

Ah bloody hell it has been a while since I've watched it then, I thought the school scene was after. Thanks for clearing that up.

I really am going to have to watch the entire series again, I've been meaning to since last year when I finally got to meet Greg Ayres (Voice of Kaworu), I think with me just watching Rebuild 3.33 it might be a good opportunity.

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:24 AM

Just out of curiosity, but why do many people hate End of Eva so much and see it just as Anno trolling his fans? I don't really get it, I heard it built up as this awful movie and then I saw it and I thought it was great personally, fit fine with the series.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users