» «
Photo

Trouble creating alpha textures

2 replies to this topic
Nori Yaro
  • Nori Yaro

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

Trying to convert a texture from gta iv to sa. And IV uses transparency while SA uses alpha. No matter what I do it always comes out buggy. Best result I had was whole texture slightly transparent and completely transparent where it has to be. I'm using G-TXD since txd workshop lags like sh*t and f*cks up. Even tried in photoshop but still not working. How can I create alpha for a transparent texture.

PS: The texture isn't transparent as a whole, just transparent at the places where there is no color (the empty space)

RanxeroX
  • RanxeroX

Wielding Many Hats

• Members

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

IV uses transparency while SA uses alpha

Both of those terms are referring to the same thing... Transparency in ANY game/software is stored in the alpha channel portion of a graphic.

While in a graphic editor, you use opacity to set the desired level of transparency. I don't use Photoshop so I can't give you specific directions but look for a command that saves to the alpha channel. This will move the transparency data to that channel so that it can be saved along with the graphic data. This is only needed for exporting to other graphic formats.

When you're ready to save, you must choose a graphic format that supports storing transparency data. This is usually PNG or TIFF for non-game use. Games typically use the Direct-X format internally and there are a few variations of it. If you simply want to store in a format that is simple transparent on/off use DXT-1 format - this is an all or nothing type. If you want levels of transparency then use DXT-3 or DXT-5 when saving. Photoshop is capable of creating all types.

However, for import/export when using game editors like the ones you mentioned, stick with the PNG format. The editors themselves will convert them to and from the proper format.

If you want to know more on the subject, Google the terms I've used... Hope this helps!

_DK
  • _DK

Homie

• Feroci Racing
  • Ukraine

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (RanxeroX @ Monday, May 6 2013, 20:25)
However, for import/export when using game editors like the ones you mentioned, stick with the PNG format. The editors themselves will convert them to and from the proper format.

Maybe this will help in this case?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users