Photo

747 Cargo Plane crash

71 replies to this topic
Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

7 Americans died, and it's funny how most of American sites don't even have it on their front page. confused.gif
RIP...
article
Liveleak video

Devyl
  • Devyl

Wait; I have a .GIF for that.

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (Stinky12 @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 09:56)
7 Americans died, and it's funny how most of American sites don't even have it on their front page.  confused.gif
RIP...
article
Liveleak video

Holy. Hell. That Video. sad.gif

I've done that tons of times in Flight Simulator but to see it in reality is just... There's really no words.

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

That video is horrible. Really brings it home how violent a plane crash would be.

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

Holy f*ck.

.2D
  • .2D

Look at the Flowers.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (Max. @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 15:14)
That video is horrible. Really brings it home how violent a plane crash would be.

Yeah, I was actually really surprised watching that. You do get an idea of the f*cking scale of one of those planes and what it's like when they go down. Pretty disturbing, really.

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

So the Taliban have claimed responsibilty for this? Whether they were involved or not, why in gods name is this not headline news?

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:23 PM Edited by Stinky12, 01 May 2013 - 03:28 PM.

^
Because some nonsense like so so just got new shoes or new clothes is more important than this. bored.gif

QUOTE (.2D @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 15:19)
QUOTE (Max. @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 15:14)

Yeah, I was actually really surprised watching that. You do get an idea of the f*cking scale of one of those planes and what it's like when they go down. Pretty disturbing, really.

It's a lot more disturbing when your in it. Imagine what their minds were going through in those final moments. sad.gif

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:32 PM

I once watched a program that was about several crashes of a Boeing 737 in the early 90s. The conclusion was that a solenoid jam caused the rudders malfunction, leading to pilot correction that results in the plane banking in one direction and turning belly-up... The animations were eerily similar to what happens in the video.

In any case, watching the flight it definitely seems like some type of malfunction, not sure what terrorist activity may be involved here. Probably just the Taliban trying to take credit for something.

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

I'm no expert in aviation, but the general consensus seems to be a possible shift in cargo weight causing the plane to climb a lot steeper than it should.

Lil ski
  • Lil ski

Hawai'i 5-O

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

Holy sh*t thats up in Bagram. We always fly in and out of Afghanistan there (I remember flying out on leave from there)...sad.gif.. RIP

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Just a dose of metal everyday

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

Wow, that's horrible.
It could have been that the plane is gaining altitude and with that puts a strain on the plane wherein it carries heavy cargo and thus making it hard to control until it crashed.

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

Capitol Crusader

• The Precinct
  • Ireland

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

Seen it on the DM, R.I.P Crew

Benzoboy
  • Benzoboy

Like Ronnyboy, but better.

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

That's frightening, imagine how it must have felt to be on board. It's weird because I actually had a dream I was in a crashing plane last night

MinnieMan121249
  • MinnieMan121249

Carbon based Buffoon!!

• The Yardies

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE (Benzoboy @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 11:18)
That's frightening, imagine how it must have felt to be on board. It's weird because I actually had a dream I was in a crashing plane last night

Worst kind of dream ever. This is why I'm still afraid of getting on a plain to this day.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

Jesus H. Christ.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• None

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:42 PM Edited by K^2, 01 May 2013 - 04:47 PM.

The pilot was an idiot and deserved what he got. When your plane begins to stall on the takeoff, yanking on the yoke should have been the first thing he learned not to do.

Condolences to the families of the other six crew members.

I'm no expert in aviation, but the general consensus seems to be a possible shift in cargo weight causing the plane to climb a lot steeper than it should.

That might have been the reason it was climbing too steep, and you can see the plane slow down between 6 and 8 seconds on the video. So on seconds 8-9 the nose begins to drop. And if the pilot actually did what he was supposed to, which is let the nose drop and go balls to the wall, he'd probably recover. But you can see from 9-10 seconds the pilot is fighting it and attempts to maintain the climb angle, which is when the plane actually properly stalls, sealing fate of all on board.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Leben Heißt leben

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

Aw bummer, what a shame.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (The Scottish Guy @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 16:23)
So the Taliban have claimed responsibilty for this? Whether they were involved or not, why in gods name is this not headline news?

No the taliban havent clamed for it because it was apparently the way they loaded the plane. It was a cargo plane not a passenger one and when they took off all the cargo shifted to the back of the plane as it was secured properly and that is what caused the crash.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (The Scottish Guy @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 15:37)

That seems like a valid reason. Depends on the mass really. What if they had just the six other fellows on, and I'm guessing unless each one had a crippling, physical weight of 300 Llbs each, we're blaming the pilot for his stupid actions.

SmC12
  • SmC12

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

It could have been the angle of the dashcam, but I've never seen a 747 - a freighter no less, climb at such a steep attitude when there are no obstacles. There have been many cases where cargo shifting caused a loss of control. It's a shame too cause the pilot almost managed to get the plane level right before it hit the ground. If they had been a few thousand feet higher it may have turned out differently.

Yanking on the yoke may seem like the worst course of action, but at such a low altitude and a presumably fully loaded aircraft it would probably still have sent it plummeting to the ground, he probably thought applying thrust would maintain altitude. Letting the nose drop only works when you have the vertical space to do so, but this didn't look much higher than ~1,000ft.

Joseph Cooke
  • Joseph Cooke

When nothing goes right, go left.

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

That would have been terrifying for those on board.

ZDANZ96
  • ZDANZ96

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:53 PM Edited by ZDANZ96, 01 May 2013 - 07:51 PM.

Oh wow, this is terrible. Condolences to the family of the 7 victims, disregarding the mistakes that the pilot might've made.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

I've seen this earlier today. It's absolutely horrible when you start thinking about the people inside and what they were going through at the time. Gave me the chills.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

I should NOT have watched that. I've always been scared of flying, although I don't have a true phobia because I have flown and continue to do so. But holy f*ck, I'd die before it hit the ground out of sheer terror / heart attack. It must have been so horrific for those on board.

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE (K^2 @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 11:42)
. So on seconds 8-9 the nose begins to drop. And if the pilot actually did what he was supposed to, which is let the nose drop and go balls to the wall, he'd probably recover. But you can see from 9-10 seconds the pilot is fighting it and attempts to maintain the climb angle, which is when the plane actually properly stalls, sealing fate of all on board.

If the first odd maneuver was caused by the cargo shifting, wouldn't the cargo then shift again [this time forwards] if you let the plane's nose drop to avert the stall? So no matter what he was screwed?

@Kirsty - I've debated watching it, and was just about to. Thanks for changing my mind. The only way I'd fly, is if I was the pilot.

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (DarrinPA @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 11:15)
. So on seconds 8-9 the nose begins to drop. And if the pilot actually did what he was supposed to, which is let the nose drop and go balls to the wall, he'd probably recover. But you can see from 9-10 seconds the pilot is fighting it and attempts to maintain the climb angle, which is when the plane actually properly stalls, sealing fate of all on board.

If the first odd maneuver was caused by the cargo shifting, wouldn't the cargo then shift again [this time forwards] if you let the plane's nose drop to avert the stall? So no matter what he was screwed?

@Kirsty - I've debated watching it, and was just about to. Thanks for changing my mind. The only way I'd fly, is if I was the pilot.

No, because the weight shifting with the plane in a downward angle wouldn't cause it to stall. Planes only stall in vertical ascent. There'd probably be some other problems presented, but it wouldn't have been the same "totally f*cked" outcome.

I'm really not an aviation nut either, but when I saw the video my immediate thought was, "Whoa, that's a steep take-off angle," and actually thought it was stalling already.

stu
  • stu

I drink it up

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • European-Union

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

Don't pilots tend to takeoff at steeper angles when flying out of Afghanistan, and come in to land at sharper angles too? In order to minimise the time when they are vulnerable to RPG and anti-aircraft fire. Pretty sure I read that somewhere.

That video was horrible to watch, it was almost like it was in slow-motion.

J-B
  • J-B

Blood Drenched

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

I watched this yesterday, it's f*cking awful and just so surreal. sad.gif RiP to the crew.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:05 PM Edited by Stinky12, 01 May 2013 - 07:13 PM.

QUOTE (DarrinPA @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 18:15)

The plane is so close to the ground, there is barely enough time for the pilot to recover even if he put the nose down, to recover
from a stall. It says the cargo has shifted during take off which means, the cargo has move to the rear, making it rear heavy.
This is why it's important that things be check, recheck, and triple check, to make sure everything is secure. Not only that, the weight
of each cargo has to be balanced out. You don't want a bunch of heavy cargo only on one side of the plane.

Not sure if it's true, but passengers plane applies too. Pilot and crew must know the total amount of passengers and luggage it
has onboard and then calculate the total combine weight. This will help them determine the amount of fuel they need to reach their
destination. Also the luggage inside are balanced out too.
On Jan 8 2003 Air MidWest Flight 5481 crash shortly after take off because of this. All on board died, including one on the ground who was injured.
There was 2 crew on that flight, Captain Katie Leslie aged 25 and 1st Officer Jonathan Gibbs aged 27, and 19 passengers.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Leben Heißt leben

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:16 PM Edited by universetwisters, 01 May 2013 - 07:23 PM.

This is the PBM member shakingass who steals mods and has 20+ accounts on youtube. The thought of him exploding into a fiery inferno upon impact is funny, but plane wrecks are not.

user posted image
user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users