Photo

GTA 5 voice actress

10 replies to this topic
VATG
  • VATG

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

Like it or not, even our most beloved games have actors and actress who aren't real familiar with their role. When it comes to voice acting in video games not everyone gets the attention as Beyond's Ellen Page, as evidenced by GTA 5 voice actress Shari Albert who has "no idea" who she played in the game.

Shari Albert has a role in Rockstar's highly anticipated game Grand Theft Auto 5, but her IMDB page lists it only as "various." I'd like to think a majority of people -- especially the ones who, you know, have acting parts in the game -- have a good idea as to hype surrounding the new Grand Theft Auto, but it doesn't seem like Albert was real prepared for the onslaught of attention (especially after today's trailer drops) she would receive.

Here's her tweet from yesterday.

People are freakin' about this video game I voiced. People: I have no idea who I played. I just read what they put in front of me. #paycheck
Shari Albert (@thatshari) April 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/...000489863761923

user posted image

Believing a real actress would have some more motivation behind her lines than just a "#paycheck," I asked her how she got into "character" without knowing her role. Shari clarified to me that when she's brought into the studio she usually knows the "circumstance and what's up in the moment."

"Usually with video games that's fairly straightforward," she told me. "Video games are bare bones. With TV, film and theatre you actually get time with the script. V/O work you're in and out."

Now it could be that Shari was a minor role as her IMDB doesn't specify; however, it is speculated that she is the voice of Amanda, Michael's wife who is having an affair, a seemingly pretty important part. You'd think she'd be told something like that in advance. Seems like a pretty difficult gig to just be brought into the studio and told to read some lines. Shari has does voice over work for Alan Wake and Superman Returns.

Do you think it matters if Shari Albert doesn't know what role she had in Grand Theft Auto 5?

It's obvious that she's voicing that 'Shari Albert De Silva' character...

Darrel
  • Darrel

Reported!

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:38 PM Edited by Darrel, 01 May 2013 - 12:45 PM.

She seems quite up herself . If she does not care about her role? Why should i ? I hope she enjoys that pacycheck because
it will probably be the last one she recieves from the Rockstar Company

Her voice is very annoying also. Could be Amanda then tounge.gif . In the Game informer article dan houser clamied the actress who played amanda was great. if she really did not know anything about her role i cant imagine dan houser saying stuff like that about her.

Grove Street Balla
  • Grove Street Balla

Kakashi.

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

attention whore

Coral_City
  • Coral_City

The Don

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

People, please. She explains why she doesn't care -- it's the nature of the industry. Some people feel it, others don't.

Darrel
  • Darrel

Reported!

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE (Coral_City @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 12:55)
People, please. She explains why she doesn't care -- it's the nature of the industry. Some people feel it, others don't.

And im saying, if she doesnt care then we shouldnt.

If she is a major character thats not rthe way too go about things. I believe rockstar didnt take too kindly that ray liotta said he was just in it for the money either. You have to care about what you do. and who you portay. And this unknown is no ray liotta!

reform
  • reform

Beaten, battered, bruised, Told to get down

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

Probably a bunch of ped dialogue.

Liberty2k7
  • Liberty2k7

Welcome to Burger Shot, Mo' F**kaa!

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

Rockstar wouldn't use a voice actress and not ensure that she is fully engaged with the character if it was indeed someone major like Amanda she voiced. Either she is acting stupid and naieve due to the NDA or she is voicing somebody pretty minor.

Los Santos - 1992 to 2013
  • Los Santos - 1992 to 2013

After 21 years, it's time.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

I think Rockstar has a policy of secrecy for their games, the voice actors are never told what game character they are they voice acting for or what game are they having their voice put into. That's the most likely reason to why she doesn't know what character she is voice acting. Just my 2 cents. moto_whistle.gif

man dragon
  • man dragon

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

Doesn't sound anything like Amanda, in my opinion. She's probably either the voice of a ped or on a talk radio station. I can't imagine Rockstar wouldn't give their actors a major breakdown of character roles and motivations so they can get it just right. They wouldn't have so many memorable and well-voiced characters if they didn't do this.

haarp
  • haarp

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

she is hot

Mr. Darko
  • Mr. Darko

My lies are better.

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:25 PM Edited by Mr. Darko, 01 May 2013 - 01:27 PM.

I think one thing that makes it obvious that she isn't Amanda is that she describes it as just going in, doing it, then getting out. I'm pretty sure that if she was playing a major character like Amanda, she would've done some motion capture work for the character, as well. So I wouldn't get too pissed at her, as like man dragon said, she's likely just a background or tertiary character. Many of those actors likely have a similar outlook, just going in and getting paid. They'll have fun with it, sure, but they have not much idea who their character is or what their role in the game will be, so their focus obviously wouldn't be about the artistic integrity of the game. Like a movie extra.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users