My Theory on Humanity

20 replies to this topic
The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

If You Know What I Mean

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:26 AM

Lately I've been seeing lots of war and rage all around the world. It's gotten me thinking why does everyone suddenly hate each other?? It has obviously been present since the beginning of humanity, but this has been more violent than ever before!

And then I thought...

What if humanity as a whole adapts like that of a human?

Here's what I'm thinking: As babies, we're new to the world and don't understand anything about the world around us. We're curious and adventurous and creative! Just like cavemen discovering fire and using common wasteland objects to use as weapons. Early humanity functioned like newborn babies: Curious and uneducated.

Then came about 1000 BC with the first written record of events. Here we see that humans became much smarter to the things around them, but they still didn't understand much. So they came up with religion, just like a child asking an adult about something that puzzled the child. What I am getting at here is that in late BCs and Early ADs to about 1800 is the child portion of humanity: More knowledgeable, but still needing to turn to higher authority for answers.

Now I think humanity has reached its teenage years. We are getting really smart, and are able to understand a lot of things around us, and are beginning to learn on our own rather than asking an adult a question every 5 seconds. But with teenage years come rebellious years. I haven't met anyone in my age group that hasn't done something they shouldn't have because they wanted to have fun and resist authority. Hell, I'VE done it numerous times! That is why I think humanity has reached its teenage years: Able to learn on their own without higher authority but still resisting to that authority.

So what do you guys think? Am I on to something here, or just another crazy kid that your mother would tell you to keep away from?

RomansMoobs
  • RomansMoobs

Playa

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:33 AM

We haven't been more violent, the media just puts more of an eye on it to scare the citizens and then they use that fear to promote the government. icon14.gif

Mar
  • Mar

Pino no Usagi

• The Connection

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:36 AM

Hate and War has always been present in history. The more educated we get, the more issues we have to argue over. Something I find interesting, is that while the world population is growing, the first-world countries population hovers a bit higher, but doesn't escalate nearly as high as third world countries over the past years. So, that's a lot more people who turns to different forms of beliefs and rasion d e'tres to continue on growing, and because of technology we're exposed and allowed to disagree and sometimes want to change the way other people survive day to day.

I don't really know what I'm getting at here as I'm not a philosophy major in the SLIGHTEST, but my personal input is that hate and war are going to be something we're always going to deal with. It may come in different forms in the future, but I'm probably pessimistic in believing the fact that we can never all 'just get along.' Life would honestly be far too boring without people to bitch at. We all can't be monks. wink.gif

So, your theory does sound rather nice and especially optimistic in believing that we're going to grow out of this phase. Maybe you're right and it will happen. cookie.gif

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Just a dose of metal everyday

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:50 AM

Well since the beginning of time, humanity strives for survival even during the jurassic age. Even dinosaurs also hate among each others too. That is because of competition. We are all competing for something to survive. Like necessities (water, food, land), human power, protection (military, vigilantes) and today, technology; they're the quite of those things that we mostly compete for for our survivability.

Competition for those things has led us to strive for more dominance and is wanting to accumulate power over everything. This distinction alone led to many devastating wars in history because each country are competing for more resources.

Urban Legend
  • Urban Legend

No, f*ck no.

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:09 AM

Think about this:

All men are created equal!

Well? Until society tells us otherwise.

and by the way you lost me when u said:

What if humanity as a whole adapts like that of a human?

The f*ck does that even mean? Yes we ARE human. But if sh*t hits the fan and chaos ensues. What choice do you have but to TAKE WHAT YOU NEED? Even if it goes against everything you know? Your new born baby is starving and your neighbors won't share? Wuuuuut? Yeah, your gonna take their sh*t. MAYBE the local authorities show up but if you still reject well then those local authorities become a problem too! You might be going down.

Truth be told though...all this isn't necessary until social unrest happens and the common folk no longer believes in the money they trade with or the people that govern them.

Good day, Russian! America greets you. smile.gif

EDIT: OH sh*t!! U were born in 1997? Ewwww

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:16 AM

I blanked out while reading your post and the word "manbears" appeared from floating words, so there's your answer. smile.gif

Humans have had, and always will have elements of all of the age groups you're talking about. We're always learning new things (not just about earth, but also about space, ourselves, etc.). We will always have religion, and new religions will continue to spring up through history. And there will often be a large group of the population that is secular (it's more recent, but it will continue through history unless somehow all of our current thinking about religion goes away).

Your topic also doesn't take people who aren't living in first-world countries into consideration. There are still tribes in some Pacific and some African countries that would still be on the second, or even first step of your process. Does your humanity human just have a really small upper body, or something like that?

Melchior
  • Melchior

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • China

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:42 AM

Religion isn't three thousand years old. It's been around since the beginning of human history.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:56 AM Edited by Raavi, 01 May 2013 - 10:59 AM.

You're more or less describing your spin on the process of evolution of the human psyche and human understanding, in the last three the paragraphs. But there is one fatal flaw: there never, not in the history of mankind was a period of so called: "world peace" . There always have been wars, violent outbursts, bloodshed and all other things considered horrific. Even if you go back to Paleolithic times and even before that it was always present. The only difference is: Media. The only "reports" if you will, we have from Paleolithic times are the cave paintings, for example the ones discovered in Lascaux. But throughout the years reporting what happened to inform the people and to "educate" future generations became more and more important. Now, 2013- North Korea only has to do as much as moving a single military vehicle and the media is all over it. And this will keep going further and further. But that's how this world works.

Same goes for religion, it has always been there and always has been questioned. Socrates is a great example of the questioning of religion and his never ending search for answers. In a way current day Atheism stemmed from what philosophers like Socrates for example achieved back then.

Hecate
  • Hecate

I am for the air.

• NATO
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (Melchior @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 01:42)
Religion isn't three thousand years old. It's been around since the beginning of human history.

Right 'ere. We always attempt to answer the questions we're presented, even if the answer isn't that good.

As for your theory, I disagree with it. Humanity gets smarter, and as it gets smarter we invent larger weapons to hurt ourselves with. The primal urge to be violent and whatever is always there, and always in the same amount. The tools we act upon it with are just bigger. Maybe we'll wipe ourselves out some day. Or maybe we won't. Kind of hard to say at this point, we're in a curious position of being able to destroy ourselves but incapable of really pushing out into the universe en masse. If we don't make Earth uninhabitable in the next few centuries, there's a good chance we'll live for a long while. That life is what would allow us the chance to "grow" I guess.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (Tyler @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 12:11)

Right 'ere. We always attempt to answer the questions we're presented, even if the answer isn't that good.

As for your theory, I disagree with it. Humanity gets smarter, and as it gets smarter we invent larger weapons to hurt ourselves with. The primal urge to be violent and whatever is always there, and always in the same amount. The tools we act upon it with are just bigger. Maybe we'll wipe ourselves out some day. Or maybe we won't. Kind of hard to say at this point, we're in a curious position of being able to destroy ourselves but incapable of really pushing out into the universe en masse. If we don't make Earth uninhabitable in the next few centuries, there's a good chance we'll live for a long while. That life is what would allow us the chance to "grow" I guess.

I agree, we're basically testing the world and trying to go as far as possible. Hell we currently have enough nuclear weaponry to exterminate every single person on this earth X 20. The problem isn't that we're building bigger better and meaner weapons to defend ourselves to defend our own and our countries. Because this is has been this way for millions and millions of years. The only big difference and simultaneously the problem is: now some people not only have "safety" gains no, now people make insane amounts of money (and money = power, always have and always will) over the bodies of other people. SOFEX is a prime example of this madness, people are marketing and selling weapons (from handguns to weapons of mass destruction) just as they were selling cars.

MinnieMan121249
  • MinnieMan121249

Carbon based Buffoon!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

Somebody needs to blow up like half or earth for people to realise that life's too short for bullsh*t like religion and fighting. Religion is the first element to every war so far. To kill in the name of god to either preserve the human race from the "peasents" or just kill somebody cause they wear a different hat that you do...

Hecate
  • Hecate

I am for the air.

• NATO
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (MinnieMan121249 @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 05:40)
Somebody needs to blow up like half or earth for people to realise that life's too short for bullsh*t like religion and fighting. Religion is the first element to every war so far. To kill in the name of god to either preserve the human race from the "peasents" or just kill somebody cause they wear a different hat that you do...

That is both offensive and completely bullsh*t. Not only have we come close to extinction and seen the results of full war that killed millions, but destroying half the world in this day and age is as good as stopping all progress for the last hundred years. Please take your misanthropic viewpoint elsewhere.

Also, politics is more of a warmongering machine than religion. Even the Catholic church was a political system for the time it was powerful in. Both can be abused but the two are intertwined and blaming religion for all wars is just asinine.

Melchior
  • Melchior

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • China

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (MinnieMan121249 @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 21:40)
Religion is the first element to every war so far. To kill in the name of god to either preserve the human race from the "peasents" or just kill somebody cause they wear a different hat that you do...

Not sure which wars you're talking about, since this applies to none I've ever heard of.

Mar
  • Mar

Pino no Usagi

• The Connection

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (MinnieMan121249 @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 06:40)

Although I probably shouldn't be fueling the fire, I disagree with this completely.

Religion and Faith are necessary for some people, and we really only pay attention to the heretics rather than the normal everyday people. I believe that some people need faith in order to survive and live their everyday life. I'm not a religious person myself, but we all believe in something that makes us get out of bed everyday and reason with things we don't understand.

Blowing up an entire population of religious people, isn't the answer. If anything, that mindset is the problem we have with people being able to understand each other or get along. Although your message is positive in the fact hat people should fight over religion, it's not the cause to every war. It may play a key part in particular wars, but that was usually just to appeal to the masses. Most of the time it was about land, resources, and power. Not religion or changing the faith of an individual.

So, I feel like you're contradicting yourself, because in the beginning you're speaking of blowing up the entirety of people who had faith, and then you're saying it's wrong to blow someone up because of the 'hats' that may display the religion they have faith in. Maybe look into your own judgements and although you may not agree with religion and faith, realize that these people are rather normal, and their faith is just their own reasons for striving to life a better life and live another day.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE (Tyler @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 22:11)

Boom, Nailed it on the head. Violence is in our genes.

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Just a dose of metal everyday

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE (Melchior @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 20:00)
QUOTE (MinnieMan121249 @ Wednesday, May 1 2013, 21:40)
Religion is the first element to every war so far. To kill in the name of god to either preserve the human race from the "peasents" or just kill somebody cause they wear a different hat that you do...

Not sure which wars you're talking about, since this applies to none I've ever heard of.

I believe he means about Crusades, however I don't think Christians and Muslims at that time are not fighting in the name of god, they're fighting for their land.

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu
  • Contribution Award [Sports]

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:29 PM Edited by Max., 01 May 2013 - 03:35 PM.

You're labouring under an extremely linear view of time and human history; our development is not an un-ending march of progress, there is regression.

EDIT: Also on the 'War as a product of Religion' thing, I believe War is always a product of belief, religious or otherwise. Governments believe that invading such-and-such will provide them with X-Y-Z. Certain Groups believe that another deserves to be wiped of the face of the earth for relgious reasons, etc. War, and the myths which are needed to maintain war are cultivated by a series of beliefs which are not necessarily religious in nature, however throughout miuch of human history the most powerful belief system states could provoke to motivate their wars were organised religions.

To blame all wars on Religion is too simplistic, but so too is it false to say only the Crusades were religiously motivated.

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

We appear to be getting smarter, but how many people could survive out in the wild, catch their own food and prepare it, ect? We've become smarter and dumber at the same time. People who lived before knew how to farm, hunt, make things. If we travelled back in time we'd die. We've lost a lot of important knowledge, replaced it with useless crap. Our society has become so dependent on other people do everything for them, it's strange.

Sure science, technology, and medicine has come a long way but as individuals we aren't going to reach some utopian society when we reach the "adult" stage as you see it.

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (The Pizza Delivery Guy @ Tuesday, Apr 30 2013, 21:26)
Then came about 1000 BC with the first written record of events. Here we see that humans became much smarter to the things around them, but they still didn't understand much. So they came up with religion, just like a child asking an adult about something that puzzled the child. What I am getting at here is that in late BCs and Early ADs to about 1800 is the child portion of humanity: More knowledgeable, but still needing to turn to higher authority for answers.

I have to cut you off there. You have a very poor understanding of human history, no offense intended. The Egyptians, the Chinese, the Greeks, etc. all devised similar technologies that we use even to this day far before 1000 BC. The idea that humans around these times were blithering idiots is far too common. Humanity really didn't become "stupid" until the dark ages, and as far as religion goes... Clergy men, monks, etc. are most responsible for preserving the written word through those times. We owe much of our intelligence to religion.

And, as far as us being more violent today... If you're talking about shear numbers of killing each other perhaps, but if you're talking about how often we wage war and conquest, no way.

In fact, now days I'd say we're far more diplomatic in a world-wide sense than we have ever been as a human race. But beyond that, because of technological advances, we're also far more deadly than ever before. First came steel, then came gunpowder, then came chemical and biological agents, and then came nuclear weapons. It's only been in the last century that mankind has had the power to completely exterminate our entire race several times over, yet at the same time we've began to exercise more and more discretion.

HydraulicWaRiOr
  • HydraulicWaRiOr

Moe Boats

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

I think it was aliens.

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

If You Know What I Mean

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:13 AM

I think you're all getting me wrong here. I'm not saying that religion is the cause of all problems, I'd save that for the Do You Believe in GOD thread.

I was basically summarizing Christianity with that point, since most religion practiced around the time period and location I was referencing (Medieval Europe) was Christianity. I do know that the Mayans and Egyptians had been practicing from the beginning. and they really weren't putting questions into answers, but rather just embracing their creators I guess.

So yeah. I still stand by the other points though, and hope that most people around the world can learn to tolerate each other.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users