Comic Books Discussion

163 replies to this topic
DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:03 AM

Just saw on comixology that DC has a few 101s for some characters. Should I read these? Would they still be relevant with the new reboots?

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

Discussing Manga/Japanese Comics

Anyone here read Naruto Manga? It's pretty popular. They come out every Wednesday, along with Bleach and I believe One Piece. I personally think Japanese comics are better that American comics. Japs pay so much attention to detail. I love it.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (Erebos @ Tuesday, Jun 4 2013, 18:03)
Just saw on comixology that DC has a few 101s for some characters. Should I read these? Would they still be relevant with the new reboots?

That's a good question.

Just looked them up, and I think they cover the New 52 (the reboot).

Kobalt__
  • Kobalt__

The Plague Boys - Gunslingers

• Members

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (Grand Theft Savage @ Wednesday, Jun 5 2013, 20:36)
Discussing Manga/Japanese Comics

Anyone here read Naruto Manga? It's pretty popular. They come out every Wednesday, along with Bleach and I believe One Piece. I personally think Japanese comics are better that American comics. Japs pay so much attention to detail. I love it.

I've read a little bit of Naruto, but it wasnt really my cup o' tea. My favorites been Mobile Suit Gundam.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:46 PM Edited by darthYENIK, 09 June 2013 - 04:49 PM.

Finally got out to the shop.

I got a bit of a haul...

Detective Comics #21
Green Arrow #21
Deadpool #10 (AKA "The Inferior Deadpool)

Since Man of Steel comes out next week, I picked up Action Comics (New 52) vol. 1.

And then I went to my other shop, which has a much larger collection of back issues, and got Wolverine #68 and 69. I've had Wolverine #67 for twenty years, and finally said, f*ck it, and picked up these issues...
user posted image
user posted image

EDIT: this week is going to be epic for me in terms of new books. Superman Unchained, Batman #21 (the beginning of the Zero Year arc), and then we've got Batgirl, Wolverine, and Deadpool. That's four of my favorite books and one that looks like it's destined to be a new favorite.

By the way, I have never read a Deadpool comic until Deadpool #10. It was so good, I can safely call it one of my favorites. Especially because it's a Spider-Man team up, and as we all know, right now Spider-Man isn't exactly in his right mind, if you get my drift. Like I said I have never really read a Deadpool comic, and it's fun to see him team up with Spidey-Ock and then take the piss out of him. I can only imagine the fun that they have when Peter Parker is in his right mind and hanging with Deadpool.

Can anyone suggest any other Spider-Man/Deadpool team up books?

Kobalt__
  • Kobalt__

The Plague Boys - Gunslingers

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:31 PM

Sorry for being inactive on here yall. Ive been working 40 hours/week and my funds are a little more limited so I havent been able to get any new books. Hopefully itll change.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

Okay, been a while. The last month or so has been pretty hectic in terms of comics. Marvel's been releasing a couple of my favorite books bi-monthly (Wolverine, Hawkeye, Deadpool and now "What If? AvX") so I've been pushing my self imposed $25 weekly single issue limit. Last week I got six books:
  • Batman #22
  • Superman Unchained #2
  • Nightwing #22
  • Batgirl #22
  • Wolverine #6
  • Hawkeye #12

But this week I'm only getting three books:
  • Batman and Catwoman #22
  • Deadpool #13
  • What If? AvX #2

What If? AvX is an interesting book. It's basically an alternate telling of the AvX story from last year, but obviously since it's based in an alternate universe they're going to kill more characters. The first issue was fun, except they never really explain why the story goes in a different way. Like in Back to the Future, Biff goes back and changes the timeline, which creates an alternate universe, there's no moment like that in this book. Things are just different. I'm okay with it, I'm willing to suspend disbelief as long as the story holds up.

CaptainBabyGravy
  • CaptainBabyGravy

I'll kill you, right in the face.

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

Some the comics I'm really enjoying at the moment;
Avenging Spiderman. (Before and after Superior era).
Superior Spiderman.
Thunderbolts.
Deadpool.
All New X-Men.
Uncanny Avengers.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:57 AM Edited by darthYENIK, 18 July 2013 - 06:37 PM.

Highlight of Deadpool #13...

user posted image

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Weekend Answerer

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

i think i started seeing naruto manga at mandarake back in 2002 maybe - it or one piece, can't remember. it has been entertaining, but it and bleach fall into that "wait for the television series to catch up/story filler" shtick that all of the successful stuff does. i ain't spending three hundred minutes to watch naruto chase a magical lizard

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:22 AM

Only got three books this week. Money's tight...

Hawkeye annual #1
Batman/Superman #2
And last week I saw this, and promised myself I'd get it this week...
X-Files Season 10 #2

TheBlackPeterParker.
  • TheBlackPeterParker.

616 Hero.

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:04 PM

I just picked up Spider-Men, and Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 27. I only read the latter, and I have to say, I love Miles Morales. I can't wait to see what happens to him during cataclysm/his 616 counter-part.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:38 AM

I've never read Ultimate Spider-Man. I've heard good things about the early books, and some good stuff about Miles.

So he's coming to 616, eh? I don't read much Spidey. I want to but Spectacular Spider-Man, more specifically Spock, doesn't seem appealing to me. I've been waiting for Pete to come back.

TheBlackPeterParker.
  • TheBlackPeterParker.

616 Hero.

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:48 AM

I've never read Ultimate Spider-Man. I've heard good things about the early books, and some good stuff about Miles.

So he's coming to 616, eh? I don't read much Spidey. I want to but Spectacular Spider-Man, more specifically Spock, doesn't seem appealing to me. I've been waiting for Pete to come back.

I remember reading the early ones when I was a kid, it was a great series. Miles is also pretty neat.

I'm reading all the issues of Amazing Spider-Man in order, and I'm currently on issue 10, so I haven't looked at the new ones that much. I just hope that Miles has a chance to be "The" 616 Spidey for a bit before Peter comes back

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:40 AM

I'd probably pick up Amazing Spider-Man #701 or #1 or whatever they're gonna call it, if Miles is THE Spider-Man. I don't know, I just have spent my entire life hating Doc Ock, and I just can't accept him as "the friendly neighborhood" anything.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

All Out War (Walking Dead) started out on a good foot, I thought. Anyone else dig that?

And finally/sadly, I'm on the last volume of 100 Bullets. What an awesome book it's been so far.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:00 PM

I'm still trying to catch up on Walking Dead.  But I am buying the single issues of All Out War, so I have them when I do catch up.

I got this cover for #115...

TheWalkingDead115VarB.jpg

It's the one that stood out the most.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

I got one that wasn't part of the connecting issues, it was an exclusive to stores that did a special launch event. but the large image is pretty cool.

Finally finished 100 Bullets. Hot damn, that was an amazing series. So beautifully written and crafted. Wish I could read it all over again. I'm about to dive into Fatale next, but if you guys have any reccos for older, complete series... I'm all ears.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:34 PM Edited by darthYENIK, 17 October 2013 - 01:35 AM.

The only way to get that special exclusive at my local comic store was to go to the midnight launch party, and buy all ten of the connecting covers.  I'm not that interested in variant covers, especially if I have to buy 10 other issues to get the one I wanted, or pay $20.

My local comic store kind of sucks that way with jacking up the prices on variants, but they have an excellent selection, and the people are cool.

EDIT: Hawkeye #13 had an email I wrote printed in it!  I can die happy now.  I've been printed in a comic book letters section.

• Failure likes this

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

So I just read last weeks issue of Walking Dead and.... holy sh*t. Spoilers, obviously:

Spoiler

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:21 PM

Just read the latest issue and I'm a little shell shocked. Might need to go revive the Comics discussion thread in genchat.

I say it's cool to talk about it in this topic, as long as we clearly mark it as a book spoiler as to not confuse people who might think it's a show spoiler.

That said... (BOOK SPOILER, do not read the following if you haven't read the Walking Dead issue #123):
Spoiler

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • Scotland
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:57 PM

Spoiler

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:26 PM

Walking Dead 123

Spoiler

I also picked up Saga Vol 3 yesterday. Tres excite!

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

Bermp.

Kick-Ass 3 Issue 6

Spoiler

Manhattan Projects

If you haven't been reading this series for whatever reason... DO IT. It's all kinds of awesome. The artwork is an incredible throwback style to old Heavy Metal days, and the color design is incredible. The story... is f*cking delightfully bonkers. Current issue spoiler:

Spoiler

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:35 AM

Walking Dead #124 came out.

Spoiler

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:11 AM

Walking Dead #124 came out.

Spoiler

Hmmm....

Spoiler

Really insane to see that the tactic actually works, though.  Can't wait to see how this wraps up!

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:46 AM

Really? I'll have to read it again. I thought for certain that...
Spoiler

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:44 AM

It's that Nicholas dude, the one who carried him into the house....

Vlynor
  • Vlynor

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:33 AM

Alright, I've never read a comic before. Any recommendations?

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:22 AM

Y: The Last Man. A disease kills all the men in the world, save for one. A crack team of women gather to protect him and solve the problem.

The Watchmen. In a dystopian alternate reality, superheroes are a thing, onlt they're regular people with regular problems. Well, except for one dude who was caught in a partical accelator and has godlike powers. There is a conspiracy to destroy the world, electric cars, a comic about pirates within the comic, and some damned fine writing.

100 Bullets. A game of revenge, a cartel from the old world and their estranged order of enforcers.

Dddddddddive in!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users