Photo

Comic Books Discussion

163 replies to this topic
d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Monday, May 20 2013, 06:24)
I'll end up with a great comic collection, but no where to put them.

Story of my life. Though I haven't bought much recently due to being busy, I did buy the comic adaptation of the movie Alien. I bought all of those Dark Horse Aliens Omnibuses so I thought why not.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:25 AM

I couldn't help it. I bought Hawkeye #6-10. I just couldn't stand not having them all.

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:46 PM

I know pretty much f*ck all of comics today but I have heard about the whole ock spidey mind thing that I wrote in this vagueish way so as to avoid fkin round with spoiler tags. Mental writing.

Other than that I read a lot of spider-man and darkhawk when I was a kid. Some Batman too.

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

I know pretty much f*ck all of comics today but I have heard about the whole ock spidey mind thing that I wrote in this vagueish way so as to avoid fkin round with spoiler tags. Mental writing.

Other than that I read a lot of spider-man and darkhawk when I was a kid. Some Batman too.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

Despite loving Spidey especially the 90s cartoon, I've never read much of him, a strip here and there in the newspaper, I think I read a Carnage origin comic like 15 years ago, and The Birth of Venom (a must for Spider-Man fans) trade paperback a few years ago. But after reading some AvX where he's in there here and there as comic relief, I might want to pick up some new Spider-Man. I know about the Ock Spidey thing, and I'm not sure if it's still going on but I doubt it's permanent. Not sure where to start since they've ended the Amazing Spider-Man (once again, I doubt it's permanent). I guess Superior Spider-Man is the one with Spider-Ock

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

Does anyone like "the black spider" ?

It's so blatant it's unreal.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

mountaineer

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

Can any of y'all with android systems recommend a good comic reader?

Kobalt__
  • Kobalt__

The Plague Boys - Gunslingers

• Members

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

The spidey ock thing is strange to me. I dont think Id ever read it.

And sorry man, Im not sure of any good readers for android. I broke my droid a while back so Ive been out of the loop on the apps.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:01 AM

Just got back from the comic shop.

I got...
Batman Inc #11
Teen Titans #20

To keep my spending under $25, I only got two new books. Thankfully, I made a mistake about those $5 annuals coming out this week. They're actually coming out next week. Although I was really tempted to get "The Inferior Deadpool" (aka Deadpool #10). I was also really close to getting Batman the Long Halloween, but they didn't have it at that store.

Kobalt__
  • Kobalt__

• Members

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

Cool batsuit infographic I found.

user posted image

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

I have to admit, I like the original look of Batman in the 1930's. Yeah, even the purple gloves.

I've just started reading Batman: Gates of Gotham via Comixology. Has anyone else read it?

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

I haven't but I probably eventually will. I'm a big fan of what Snyder has done with Batman in the New 52.

Kobalt__
  • Kobalt__

• Members

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:00 AM

Nor have I. Im really wanting to read Batman: The Long Halloween.

And yes, hes done outstanding with Batsy in the new 52.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:56 AM

Alrighty guys, I'm really interested in getting into comics. I love the characters, growing up watching the 90s cartoon shows f Batman, Spider-Man, Xmen and Ironman. And I want to keep up with these characters, so I was wondering where to start. I'm also interested in The Walking Dead. I'll appreciate any help, thanks. colgate.gif

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

I say pick a character. If you like Batman, pick him. And then go to a shop and buy a new comic or two. And stick with that until you want to expand your horizons more. Or go into a shop once a week, and look for new comics from the characters you like, that came out that week. And if you like it, go buy the back issues.

If I were to suggest comics from each of the characters/teams you said.

Batman, you're gonna want Batman, or Detective Comics, or The Dark Knight. I'd suggest Batman and Robin, but right now it's kind of not friendly to new comers.
Spider-man, personally I haven't read a Spider-man comic in a long time, and at the moment, I don't know if there is a traditional Spider-man book out there. I guess the closest would be Superior Spider-Man. But for the time being, I suggest getting the back catalog stuff. The Marvel Essential series is a cheap albeit black and white way to read the classic story arcs of Marvel books. So I say if you really want to read Spider-man right now, go for those, and eventually Spider-man will be back to normal (Let's just say Peter Parker is currently not Spider-man, but in comics you'll never see a main character gone for too long.
X-Men, go for Uncanny X-Men, or I hear All New X-Men is okay, or if you're a Wolverine Fan, read Wolverine or Savage Wolverine.
As for Iron Man, just go for Iron Man or Invincible Iron Man

I know it's a scary world to enter into, but if you go into a comic shop, and just say, "I'm new to comics, and I want to get into reading Batman." The clerk will usually say, "Yeah, here's a book I really like..." They get comic newbies all the time, and they know exactly what to say. I know the Simpsons has sullied the image of the Comic Book Guy, but they really are nice people.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

Alrighty man, thanks! icon14.gif

rotipuj
  • rotipuj

That's all I got

• Members

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

I was thinking of starting on some Batman comics. Can you guys suggest some for a newbie? I want a Batman story that is mature and dark.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (rotipuj @ Monday, May 27 2013, 20:54)
I was thinking of starting on some Batman comics. Can you guys suggest some for a newbie? I want a Batman story that is mature and dark.

Go for The Long Halloween, the art style is vivid and the story is exceptionally gripping. It's both a serial killer mystery and the story of how one of Batman's greatest villains came to be.

But stay away from Frank Miller's stuff. Yeah, it's 'dark', but it also mishandles every single character in the story. Batman becomes a murderer and implied pederast, there are numerous other examples of Miller just f*cking things up, it's not worth your time, no matter what anyone tells you.

I'd also recommend Heart of Hush, it's a fairly dark story but truly triumphs as a character piece detailing a shattered childhood friendship and the damage it causes in later years. I think you'd really enjoy it.

Kobalt__
  • Kobalt__

• Members

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

I always encourage everyone to start with Batman if you want to get into DC, or Ironman if you want to start with marvel. Batman: The Dark Knight new 52 is really good, and I also like Batman Incorporated. For Ironman, Invincible Ironman is great to start with.

And like darthYenik said, If you just go and talk to the guys at the comic book store, they'll usually help you out.

rotipuj
  • rotipuj

That's all I got

• Members

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

Thanks a lot guys.

Also, I heard that Arkham Asylum and Year One are good too.

And there is no comic book store in my city, so I have to order them online.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (rotipuj @ Tuesday, May 28 2013, 14:10)
Thanks a lot guys.

Arkham Asylum has amazing art, but you might find it all rather pretentious. Parts of it make very, very little sense.
If you like great art, give it a shot. But don't expect a coherent, decent story.

Kobalt__
  • Kobalt__

• Members

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

Im reading through Arkham Asylum now, and I like it but it does have some strange parts to it.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Monday, May 27 2013, 13:44)
QUOTE (rotipuj @ Monday, May 27 2013, 20:54)

Go for The Long Halloween, the art style is vivid and the story is exceptionally gripping. It's both a serial killer mystery and the story of how one of Batman's greatest villains came to be.

But stay away from Frank Miller's stuff. Yeah, it's 'dark', but it also mishandles every single character in the story. Batman becomes a murderer and implied pederast, there are numerous other examples of Miller just f*cking things up, it's not worth your time, no matter what anyone tells you.

I'd also recommend Heart of Hush, it's a fairly dark story but truly triumphs as a character piece detailing a shattered childhood friendship and the damage it causes in later years. I think you'd really enjoy it.

In the Dark Knight Returns, and it's sequels, yes. But Year One is for all intents and purposes the definitive Batman origin story, and stays true to the character.

With the Dark Knight Returns you need to take the over the top characters and action with a grain of salt. We all know Superman wouldn't become the US government's secret weapon, and Batman would never accept an army of mutant gang members as his own. In other words, it's not canon.

Failure
  • Failure

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Tuesday, May 28 2013, 14:24)
QUOTE (rotipuj @ Tuesday, May 28 2013, 14:10)
Thanks a lot guys.

Arkham Asylum has amazing art, but you might find it all rather pretentious. Parts of it make very, very little sense.
If you like great art, give it a shot. But don't expect a coherent, decent story.

Yeah I basically share these sentiments. Worth a read in spite of any pretension I'd say.

The Killing Joke is far better though, and I do prefer it's more consistent art style.

rotipuj
  • rotipuj

That's all I got

• Members

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:55 AM

Okay so I'll be buying Long Halloween, Year One and The Killing Joke.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:09 AM

Picked up Dark Knight Annual #1 and Red Hood and the Outlaws Annual #1. But were kind of a let down, as far as annuals go.

Dark Knight was like a Scooby Doo episode with Penguin, Scarecrow and Mad Hatter. No Batman at all. Kind of felt like a waste of $5. Reminded me of why Dark Knight is the only Batman book I don't read.

Red Hood was really just a continuation of the current story going on in the series. Which isn't that bad, it's just that I like when Annuals are one off self contained stories. It's worth it, if you read Red Hood.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

I know this is a double post, but more and more info is coming out about DC Comics Villains month in September, and I'm excited.

http://www.dccomics....r-evil-and-more

This September, all of the DC COMICS-THE NEW 52 titles will be replaced by Villains books. What happens when the heroes of the DC Universe fall and there’s nobody left to stop the villains from taking over? Find out this fall during Villain’s Month, which will spotlight 52 of the DC Universe’s biggest rogues in their own one-shots.

“September has always been a big month for us and we look for an opportunity every year in September to do something big that really redefines the line and invites anyone who hasn’t been following comics to step right in,” DC Entertainment Co-Publisher Jim Lee explained to BUZZFEED, who exclusively announced this exciting and historic event earlier this morning. “We launched the New 52 with all-new continuity and new costumes, Zero Month was all about origins of our heroes, and now the villains are taking over. One of the strengths of the DC Universe has been the strength of the rogues gallery. Often times they’re as famous – if not more infamous – than our heroes.”

And what’s more, each Villain's Month cover will feature a 3D motion image on the front and back!

“We’re also commemorating this event by doing something really unheard of, I think, as far as a major publisher - we’re actually adding a special cover on every single villain’s book. It’s called a 3D motion cover and it’s essentially artwork that’s been separated onto different layers, so when you hold the cover, which is a premium stock cover, and you slightly rotate the comic book left or right or up and down, the images move a bit,” Lee continued.

“It’s an incredible 3D effect that shows depth of field on the covers,” added DC Entertainment Co-Publisher Dan DiDio. “It’s the full cover stock, so it’s not anything that’s been glued on. More importantly, it’s actually pliable and soft to the touch - it’s a brand new technology and we’re going to be the first ones debuting in this fashion.”

user posted image

Either those 3D covers will be as good as they say, or terrible.

Kobalt__
  • Kobalt__

• Members

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:20 AM Edited by Kobalt__, 05 June 2013 - 12:31 AM.

I hope they're as good as they say. I really like the Deadshot one.

Heres my recent grabs:
user posted image

Hawkeye #4 and 5

Green Arrow #1

Green Arrow Brightest Day #4

Batman Inc #1

Batman Inc #8 First Cover

Age of Ultron #3

Grimm #1

The Batman Inc #8 white cover is going for like $50 on ebay already. Paid $2.99.

And Im loving Hawkeye more and more, bro. Bro, its really good, bro.

ANNOUNCEMENT

If you would like to write a comic book review, recommended reading lists, news, your collections, or anything of the like, post it as a post here and ill link it to the front page.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:26 AM

Damn, I wish I would have bought a couple of those Batman Inc #8 issues. But I hate doing that. It's what almost destroyed the comic book industry in the 90s.

P.S. Bro, I keel you, bro.

Kobalt__
  • Kobalt__

• Members

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:30 AM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Wednesday, Jun 5 2013, 00:26)
Damn, I wish I would have bought a couple of those Batman Inc #8 issues. But I hate doing that. It's what almost destroyed the comic book industry in the 90s.

P.S. Bro, I keel you, bro.

Lol, I really dont want to sell it. I want to hang on to it, so one day I can say I have a rare comic book.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users