» «
Photo

Comic Books Discussion

163 replies to this topic
Kobalt__
  • Kobalt__

The Plague Boys - Gunslingers

• Members

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:48 AM Edited by Kobalt__, 05 June 2013 - 12:29 AM.

GFX credits to Mr.Reaper

user posted image

From IDW to IMAGE to Marvel and DC, discuss everything related to Comic Books here!

COMIC BOOK REVIEWS

NEWS

DC Comics Villian Month in Sept - darthYenik

USER COLLECTIONS

Kobalt__
  • Kobalt__

• Members

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:35 AM

Reserved one spot, just in case.

HUGOHL
  • HUGOHL

In my heaven, there are no gods.

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:02 AM

The only comics I have read are The Walking Dead 1-109 (I hate the TV series, though) and Cannibal Corpse-Unleashing the Bloodthirsty.
Can you guys enlighten me with recommendations?
I like Drama and Terror. Some un-censored drama comics would be nice.

Kobalt__
  • Kobalt__

• Members

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:20 AM

QUOTE (HUGOHL @ Monday, Apr 29 2013, 03:02)
The only comics I have read are The Walking Dead 1-109 (I hate the TV series, though) and Cannibal Corpse-Unleashing the Bloodthirsty.

Im working my way through The Walking Dead now. Just read the 7th trade. Picked 108 up yesterday.

My buddy reads the 28 Days Later comic books. He seems to like them. Ive heard Ragemoor and Frankenstein, Alive Alive is good, but I dont have any experience with them my self.

UrbanTheEmcee
  • UrbanTheEmcee

I'm that bada** n*gga yo moms warned you about.

• Members

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:32 AM

Anything Geoff Johns does,

Flash Rebirth
Green Lantern
Superman (Secret Origins)
Justice League (New 52)
Batman (Grant Morrison)
Before Watchmen
Blue Beetle

The Avenegrs Vs X-Men till it got crappy.
Uncanny X-Men
Ultimate Spiderman
I'm picking up a lot of Punisher lately, mostly War Zone
Deadpool

The Walking Dead
Invincible
Supurbia

I'm not hardcore, but I am a regular comic reader.

TheFoxRiverFugitive
  • TheFoxRiverFugitive

Sly Fox

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:34 AM

I'm embarrassed to say that I regularly read the Sonic the Hedgehog comics. I started from the first issue 2 years ago and now I'm all caught up.

I've also read some of the Amazing Spider-Man comics, particularly the ones featuring Venom.

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Been saving it for a rainy day...

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:47 AM

I read a few of comic books and manga. Some comic books I once used to read we're:
  • Amazing Spider-Man
  • Superman
  • Batman
  • X-Men
  • Iron Man
Manga Online:
  • Naruto
  • Fairy Tail
  • Bleach
  • DragonBall Z

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:34 AM

I've been debating making a topic for months. Thanks for doing it for me.

I'm mostly a Batman guy. So I read...

DC Comics:
Batman
Detective Comics
Batman Incorporated
Batman and Robin
Dark Knight (occasionally)
Nightwing
Batgirl
Red Hood and the Outlaws
Teen Titans
Green Arrow

Marvel:
The Ultimates
Wolverine
(I said I'm a Batman guy)

I am also slowly reading through the Walking Dead. And plan on getting Compendium 1 on Wednesday.

I have a few books I want to start reading, but haven't gotten around to...

Hawkeye
Action Comics
Ultimate Thor
Savage Wolverine
Aqua Man (he's supposedly cool now)
Avengers
Justice League
All New X-Men

I'd read everything if I had the time and money.

So, do you guys go digital? Or brick and mortar? I prefer physical books. Sure digital books look the same, if not better, but nothing beats the feeling of going down to a shop every week, and picking out your books off the rack.

HUGOHL
  • HUGOHL

In my heaven, there are no gods.

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:44 AM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Monday, Apr 29 2013, 04:34)
So, do you guys go digital? Or brick and mortar? I prefer physical books. Sure digital books look the same, if not better, but nothing beats the feeling of going down to a shop every week, and picking out your books off the rack.

Agreed. But it's not easy get physical comic books here in Mexico.
I loved it back when I was in the US. Sniffing the fresh paper...
I could order some comics online, but it's not the same, once the magic's gone, I might aswell just buy digital.

Pyrrhic
  • Pyrrhic

you will never be one of us

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:04 AM

I read a few Simpsons comics when I was younger but other than that I don't really have any experience with them

Failure
  • Failure

Gone for now.

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:02 AM

The Green Woman is one you'll probably like. It has some paranormal stuff but has a lot of drama and terror.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

I don't have any real first-hand experience with comics but I do enjoy watching Linkara, a guy who reviews comics, I'd check him out if I were you.

http://thatguywithth...ks/linkara/at4w

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:59 AM

Just found a 20 year old Wolverine comic in a box. It's in terrible condition, but I remember bringing it to school when I was in 5th grade, and reading it 50 times. I never got into that storyline, though, so I don't have any corresponding issues and really don't understand it.

I put it into a bag with a board for the first time ever. I really wish I would have saved some of the comics from my childhood, but I treated them like absolute sh*t. Threw them in a closet, smashed them, ripped them, threw them away. I just wish I could remember some of the titles and issue numbers of the books I used to get. I never got them on a monthly basis, it was always a spur of the moment thing when I was at the grocery store.

I especially remember a Batman comic where he stops a convenience store being robbed by a guy with an uzi or SMG. And I remember a Marvel comic with Apocalypse on the cover, and I think it was one of those weird variant covers with foil on it. I don't remember what comic either of these was in. Could be Batman, Dark Knight, X-men, X-Force. Anything.

Toke
  • Toke

Shadow Staff

• Members
  • NATO
  • Contribution Award [Gangs]

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:17 AM Edited by Toke, 30 April 2013 - 05:19 AM.

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Monday, Apr 29 2013, 21:59)

I really wish I would have saved some of the comics from my childhood, but I treated them like absolute sh*t.  Threw them in a closet, smashed them, ripped them, threw them away.  I just wish I could remember some of the titles and issue numbers of the books I used to get.  I never got them on a monthly basis, it was always a spur of the moment thing when I was at the grocery store.

Same here man. I can remember I had some that today would be worth a pretty penny. Only ones of note that I can recall (Its been 12 years) are:

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

If only I had the forethought to keep some of them in good condition. Oi.

Kobalt__
  • Kobalt__

• Members

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (Toke @ Tuesday, Apr 30 2013, 05:17)
QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Monday, Apr 29 2013, 21:59)

I really wish I would have saved some of the comics from my childhood, but I treated them like absolute sh*t.  Threw them in a closet, smashed them, ripped them, threw them away.  I just wish I could remember some of the titles and issue numbers of the books I used to get.  I never got them on a monthly basis, it was always a spur of the moment thing when I was at the grocery store.

Same here man. I can remember I had some that today would be worth a pretty penny. Only ones of note that I can recall (Its been 12 years) are:

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

If only I had the forethought to keep some of them in good condition. Oi.

New comics are cool, but nothing beats those classics.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

Ain't nothin' over til it's over.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:53 PM Edited by Ziggy455, 30 April 2013 - 03:55 PM.

The Darkness is very good, mate. I've started reading it and it's that perfect mix of humor, horror, and sex that you'd like.

Beyond that, I'm a fan of The Walking Dead, Sin City, and a little bit of Marvel/DC. Getting a hold of comics is tough for me.

user posted image

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

The Preachers series kicks ass. So does the Walking Dead. Going to give The Boys a go soon smile.gif

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

Ain't nothin' over til it's over.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (orbitalraindrops @ Tuesday, Apr 30 2013, 15:58)
The Preachers series kicks ass. So does the Walking Dead. Going to give The Boys a go soon smile.gif

The Boys?

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

http://en.wikipedia....e_Boys_(comics)

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:28 PM Edited by darthYENIK, 30 April 2013 - 07:33 PM.

user posted image

Here's that Wolverine comic. THAT'S an awesome cover. Beats the covers for the new run, even though there are just two issues out. Feels good seeing a book with the CCA seal. Not that it made anything better, it's just a warm nostalgia. I hope to keep it forever. It's not that this book is worth anything. Especially in the condition it's in. Sadly the cover is hanging on by one staple, so I think I'm gonna keep it in the bag for a while. I just remember it being a spark for my love of both the character of Wolverine, and comics outside of Batman. Not that I wasn't a big X-men fan, being that I got this comic at the height of the cartoon's popularity.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

Mad Magazine is pretty funny, if you can count that as a comic.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:35 AM

New comic book day came and went. What new books did everyone get?

I got:

Detective Comics #20
Red Hood and the outlaws #19
Green Arrow #20
Hawkeye #1 and #2

And finally got The Walking Dead Compendium #1

I'm going to try out Hawkeye, because I hear it's pretty good. I don't know, though, because my comic shop has all the issues from the new run. I wanted to get into a new series though, so it was this or Talon (which the comic shop had most of the issues).

I've been holding out on The Walking Dead Compendium for a long time. But finally decided to get it for a late birthday present. I already have digital copies of issues 1-10, but am looking forward to reading them again.

Anyone going out to a shop on Saturday, AKA Free Comic Book Day? My local shop is having some fun with it, and having a food truck and hopefully some good deals.

Kobalt__
  • Kobalt__

• Members

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Friday, May 3 2013, 01:35)
New comic book day came and went. What new books did everyone get?

I got:

Detective Comics #20
Red Hood and the outlaws #19
Green Arrow #20
Hawkeye #1 and #2

And finally got The Walking Dead Compendium #1

I'm going to try out Hawkeye, because I hear it's pretty good. I don't know, though, because my comic shop has all the issues from the new run. I wanted to get into a new series though, so it was this or Talon (which the comic shop had most of the issues).

I've been holding out on The Walking Dead Compendium for a long time. But finally decided to get it for a late birthday present. I already have digital copies of issues 1-10, but am looking forward to reading them again.

Anyone going out to a shop on Saturday, AKA Free Comic Book Day? My local shop is having some fun with it, and having a food truck and hopefully some good deals.

Congrats on the scores and TWD compendium.

My local shop is doing a blood drive tomorrow and anyone who donates gets in an hour and a half early. Im not sure if ill be able to go, though.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

I'm definitely going to my store. A friend of the family owns that food truck I mentioned, and I'll probably get some free tacos. So free tacos and free comics, plus some deals. I'm hoping there's a deal on Hawkeye comics. Read the first issue, and I really like the tone of it. It's not a typical super hero comic. It's Clint Barton living his life when he's off duty from the Avengers. They've given it a 70s detective style (think Dirty Harry and Death Wish), but it's the world's greatest marksman. And the covers, which were (obviously) the first thing I noticed of these books, are pretty cool. You pretty much get what the book is from the covers. Very stylish, with some grit, and since it's Hawkeye, it doesn't take itself too serious. Definitely recommending this to anyone who either is sick of the traditional super hero books, or is into the non-super hero books. Or maybe is into super hero books, but is looking for something less traditional.

Kobalt__
  • Kobalt__

• Members

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Friday, May 3 2013, 17:33)
I'm definitely going to my store. A friend of the family owns that food truck I mentioned, and I'll probably get some free tacos. So free tacos and free comics, plus some deals. I'm hoping there's a deal on Hawkeye comics. Read the first issue, and I really like the tone of it. It's not a typical super hero comic. It's Clint Barton living his life when he's off duty from the Avengers. They've given it a 70s detective style (think Dirty Harry and Death Wish), but it's the world's greatest marksman. And the covers, which were (obviously) the first thing I noticed of these books, are pretty cool. You pretty much get what the book is from the covers. Very stylish, with some grit, and since it's Hawkeye, it doesn't take itself too serious. Definitely recommending this to anyone who either is sick of the traditional super hero books, or is into the non-super hero books. Or maybe is into super hero books, but is looking for something less traditional.

sh*t, free food and comics? Thats the perfect combination.

You talking about this?
http://marvel.com/co.../hawkeye_2012_1

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

mountaineer

• Administrator
  • Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013
    Best OGA Member 2014

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:04 PM

I need to get back into reading. I started up reading American Vampire a few months ago, but I need to get a good reader for my phone.

Failure
  • Failure

Gone for now.

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

I've been a big fan of the Gears of War comics for several years but didn't start to really get into comics until last year year when my college got some graphic novels in. Finished reading Watchmen today (haven't seen the film), and it was just excellent--really recommend it to anyone who's not read it.

Kobalt__
  • Kobalt__

• Members

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (elanman @ Friday, May 3 2013, 19:23)
I've been a big fan of the Gears of War comics for several years but didn't start to really get into comics until last year year when my college got some graphic novels in. Finished reading Watchmen today (haven't seen the film), and it was just excellent--really recommend it to anyone who's not read it.

My buddy has it, he said it was awesome. Ill look for it next time I go to the comic book store.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (Kobalt__ @ Friday, May 3 2013, 09:55)
You talking about this?

Don't know if it's just on my end, but that link doesn't work. But judging from the URL, yeah that's it. I got bored this morning and made this signature from the cover of issue #1...
user posted image

Kobalt__
  • Kobalt__

• Members

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Friday, May 3 2013, 20:23)
QUOTE (Kobalt__ @ Friday, May 3 2013, 09:55)
You talking about this?

Don't know if it's just on my end, but that link doesn't work. But judging from the URL, yeah that's it. I got bored this morning and made this signature from the cover of issue #1...
user posted image

Maybe this one will

http://marvel.com/co..._2012_-_present

If not, I just googled hawkeye#1 and it was the first result for the marvel website.

I want to get that one now, I hope I can find it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users