» «
Photo

A suggestion to help new members

8 replies to this topic
Master of San Andreas
  • Master of San Andreas

Leaving with a big bang, you guys rock.

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:09 AM Edited by Master of San Andreas, 27 April 2013 - 05:46 AM.

Hello mods and admins.

OK this is a feature that NEEDS to be added. The newbie guide by miromiro. On the Forum Index it says 'Be sure to check out the Grand Theft Auto V Forum' What is the use of keeping that on the top? So you could remove that and add this guide. smile.gif

Now I know some of you would say that 'No one would bother to read a guide so big' There is the shortened version of the guide made by CCPD here. It's very short and covers enough for newbies to understand how the Forum works, So you could add that link to the Index.

Also there is a separate guide for BB Codes here You could add that to for those who are having troubles with codes. You should also add the Forum Rules and Guide lines too.

It should read like this:(IMO)
  • Check out the newbie guide by miromiro! (with the links)
  • Too lazy to read a guide so long? Check out the shortened one here(with links again)
  • Having troubles with BB Codes? Go here.(with links)
  • Also check out the Rules and Guidelines before posting(with link)
Even if it does not help many members, Let it help some members at least even if it does help only 1 member. I myself had no idea and was thinking how poor this forum was until a guy called ZoomZoom pointed me out to the Newbie guide by miro. Some other members had problems as well and there was a topic saying how poor this forum was.

Also it would take a long time for members to come across miro's guide because he updates it only once a month and they do not visit the general chat section at first.

For example look at these comments in his guide:

QUOTE (WorldofCog)

If only the new members would be forced to read this before posting..

QUOTE (DropthaSystem)

I never knew this thread existed.  Pretty interesting, I must say. I agree with Extreme that this should be pinned.
So please mods and admins do this to help the newbies and noobs.

QUOTE (ExtremeLimitations and Arijitsen)

This deseves to be pinned!

QUOTE (Dutchy3010)

I really think it's a disgrace that you don't get replies for this long, while you are updating it every single month. My compliments for keeping this up!

QUOTE (Ferocious Banger)

A request to mods:Please get this thread pinned.This deserves to be pinned.

So you can see how much members think that guide is important. If this is the case how on earth are newbies going to learn on how to surf the Forum? It's not like every member that registers is a spam bot? There was this guy called GTASAdict he made like 7 topics in network support section because he had no IDEA about the Forum(excluding the stupid IP Question) and none of the mods BOTHERED to link him to something like miro's OR CCPD's guide.

So PLEASE do something about this. Anyone got a counter-arguement feel free to post.

Thanks.

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

EZ5

• United-States

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

The reason why these guides are overlooked is because most newer members are casual ones and are only here to catch up on information and or discuss it.

Miro's guide is great, but it's my opinion that it's not really for new members, it's rather for ones who are going to stick around and be active around the entire forum itself. Most newer members could care less about making tables, learning BB codes, changing fonts or who's controlling the board. They want to discuss the GTA games and that "add reply"/"add topic" option isn't hard to find.

Master of San Andreas
  • Master of San Andreas

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:16 AM Edited by Master of San Andreas, 28 April 2013 - 03:23 AM.

QUOTE (Vanzant @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 21:35)
The reason why these guides are overlooked is because most newer members are casual ones and are only here to catch up on information and or discuss it.

Miro's guide is great, but it's my opinion that it's not really for new members, it's rather for ones who are going to stick around and be active around the entire forum itself. Most newer members could care less about making tables, learning BB codes, changing fonts or who's controlling the board. They want to discuss the GTA games and that "add reply"/"add topic" option isn't hard to find.

Good point. But even I registered only to post in the GTA Series(Especially SA) and as time passed I went to other parts and that's where the guide came in handy, So you can't really say that they are going to post only in the GTA V forum. Plus, Even casual members may get some entries in the log or an oversized sig or some questions related to reporting and if they want to clear up their doubt they can just return to the Index and click one of the links instead of making a topic here asking what is this. It's always worth a try.

Also I feel miro's guide should be pinned. I know many people may overlook but more will spot it easily and if mods think people won't read that topic what is the use of pinning topics? Why are the other topics in various other sections pinned when the Staff knew many people would not view it?

Also I would like to add that everyone joins to post in the GTA Series forum, The only one I know who did not is Zugzwang. Many members would surely check out the rest of the forum, right?

Another question: Why didn't the mods bother to link GTASADict to miro's or CCPD's guide, How could a 14+page thread which has been commended by mods, Updated every month be forgotten?

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:51 AM

Miro's guide contains lots of good info, but to be fair, you're going to be hard pressed to find someone who just registered who wants to sit down and read that wall of text. Even if they do, half of it is not even going to make sense to them.

Master of San Andreas
  • Master of San Andreas

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:56 AM

Ok. I understand what you guys are saying, Thanks. smile.gif

Rizqan7
  • Rizqan7

Wut wut wut wut wut?

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

I Still The Newbie, And Well, I Hope I Can Be The Best Modder Like You All blush.gif

Shoumic
  • Shoumic

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:58 AM Edited by shoumic, 14 May 2013 - 11:11 AM.

QUOTE (Rizqan7 @ Tuesday, May 14 2013, 16:36)
I Still The Newbie, And Well, I Hope I Can Be The Best Modder Like You All  blush.gif

There are no modder's who posted in this thread by the way. Modder's are people who make modification's for GTA games while Ryan and Vanzant are Moderators. (Area). Notice the difference. wink.gif Unless you were referring to Modder's that didn't post in this thread?

And MoSA. I believe that the Rules an guidelines Impact posted should be good enough for members. Too bad it's at the announcement's section. But one of the things I like about this forum is that you find your own way of the forum without being obligated to doing anything such as reading topic's and such. Did you need to read these topic's when you were new to the boards? No, you didn't and you found how things work around here yourself. New member's should be okay as long as they apply common sense really.

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

There was this guy called GTASAdict he made like 7 topics in network support section because he had no IDEA about the Forum(excluding the stupid IP Question) and none of the mods BOTHERED to link him to something like miro's OR CCPD's guide.

*Sigh*

For your information, many of those "topics" I made were (originally) replies I made to other topics that were formed into topics of their own. For example: That "stupid IP" topic you speak of, it was a reply in the Chain Game Lounge until lil weasel formed it into a topic of it's own, moved it to the San Andreas section (where it did not belong) and then I reported it so a global moderator moved it to Network Support. Ask lil weasel if you don't believe me.

That leads me to a question of my own: Why can't forum moderators (such as lil weasel) move topics to sections they don't have jurisdiction in?

Shoumic
  • Shoumic

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (GTASAddict @ Tuesday, May 14 2013, 17:22)
That leads me to a question of my own: Why can't forum moderators (such as lil weasel) move topics to sections they don't have jurisdiction in?

I believe they can. I saw Ryan move a post in the V section to network support. And only the Global Mods/Admins control that area. If you're asking why they can't move posts from a section they don't moderate, it's because well... They don't moderate that section. Area moderators can only move topics from their section to other sections. I guess lil weasel didn't feel it needed to be moved to network support hence another Moderator moved it there, or Weasel might have received your report and could have moved it again himself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users