Photo

Question about Trial by Dirt

8 replies to this topic
Darth_Starkiller
  • Darth_Starkiller

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

Do I only need to complete them one time, or all the five times?

miromiro
  • miromiro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • GTANet Contribution Award [Newbie Guide]
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

Why would you need to do it 5 times? Only do it once until you're shown the text that says that you've won 100$. That's it.

Darth_Starkiller
  • Darth_Starkiller

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

It's because of the things that happen to make it harder each time (and there are four things, more the first time equals five). I tought that something so "worked on" would be mandatory, but thanks god it isn't.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

1 time

If there is not a time in your stats-- you may need to repeat it and trial by dirt-- there is a random bug that occurs with this sometimes.... see below what to do if you encounter the bug-- this is only if you want 100% (obviously).

From bug list... http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=188753

Problem #13

'Test Track' or 'Trial by Dirt' time is not displayed in the game statistics. In some games there is a glitch in these checkpoints (this glitch exists on PS2 and PC - just not every copy has it) - for whatever reason, in some people's games, one of these times will not register unless the other is done - and then the times for both will be the same. Depending on what order you do them will affect whether one or both will be in your stats. This can prevent you from getting 100%.

Solution: Do 'Trial by Dirt' again, check your stats to see if you have a time for both. If not, do 'Test Track' and check your stats again. If it still doesn't have a time for both, do 'Trial by Dirt' again - you should now have a time for both and it will be the same for both checkpoints.

Darth_Starkiller
  • Darth_Starkiller

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

I have they both with the same time, altough I checked and the percentage got from 66% to 68%. I suppose everything is alright, then?

miromiro
  • miromiro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

Yeah, the time is irrelevant. Most probably the thing that they're both having the same time is a coincidence. Everything should be alright. If you still have any doubts, upload your save file here and I could check it with a special tool which tells you everything left until 100% completion - it shouldn't be listed if it was completed. That, if you're playing on the PC version, obviously.

Darth_Starkiller
  • Darth_Starkiller

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:50 AM Edited by Darth_Starkiller, 28 April 2013 - 12:58 AM.

I had no idea such a tool existed, should be very useful. Does it (or any other similar tool) work with the PSP/PS2 games? Would help me a lot. Anyway, here is the save file. Please post here the list with what's left. By the way, if you can post it here, a download for this tool would be appreciated.

miromiro
  • miromiro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:50 AM

Alright, I've check the save file and none of the "Trial by Dirt" or "Test Track" appeared on the screen, which means they're completed. You're at 74% and you've still got this stuff to do to reach 100% game completion:
  • Vigilante Level 12
  • Taxi Driver - 100 Fares
  • To Collect Hidden Packages (82 left) & to do the Unique Stunt Jumps (23 left).
  • At Sunshine Auto, you still need to do the following six races: Terminal Velocity, Ocean Drive, VC Endurance, Border Run, Capital Cruise & Tour!
Now, the tool that I'm using to analyze your save file is the Ancestral Recall Tool which was created almost a decade ago by Demarest. It contains two files ancestral.scm & American.gxt. These are files that need to be replaced in the Vice City directory in order to be able to get the tool working. Obviously, the original files need to be renamed or moved in a separate folder, in order to be able to re-gain them after you're done with the tool and its' custom files.

Now, first off everything, go to \GTA Vice City\data and renamed the main.scm file into main.scm-1 or anything else that differs from its original name. Or you could just move it somewhere outside the current folder but in a way to remember where you put it. Now, take the ancestral.scm file of the Ancestral Recall Tool you downloaded and put it in the \GTA Vice City\data location; and rename it to main.scm (in case you are asked to replace a file do NOT click "Yes" since that would mean that you'd lose your original file; however, that should happen only if you didn't do the first step, which is to either rename the original main.scm or to put it in a different location).

Now, the same thing will go for the American.gxt file of the Ancestral Recall Tool. This time, go to \GTA Vice City\TEXT folder and rename the american.gxt to american.gxt-1 or anything else that differs from its original name. Or, as in the other case with main.scm, you could just move it somewhere outside the current folder but in a way to remember where you put it. After you've done this step, which is very important, place the American.gxt in the \GTA Vice City\TEXT location. Unlike the main.scm, this one doesn't need to be rename, since it apparently has the same name as the original file, the capital letter not making any difference at all (again, in case you are asked to replace a file do NOT click "Yes" since that would mean that you'd lose your original file; however, that should happen only if you didn't do the first step, which is to either rename the original american.gxt or to put it in a different location).

Now that this is done, and hopefully correctly, you may start your game and load your save file. Now, just as you're spawn you should see text rolling on the southern side of your screen. That obviously lists you what you have left in order to gain 100% completion percentage. After you've remember or written down everything, exit the game, go to \GTA Vice City\data location and delete the main.scm file which is the custom one that the tool uses. After you've done that, rename the original main.scm-1 file, or however you renamed it and rename it to main.scm; or in case you moved it outside without renaming it simply move it back in the data folder. Same goes for the american.gxt file. Delete the current one located in the \GTA Vice City\TEXT folder and put the old one back to rename it back from whatever you've named it.

This should be it. I know it's a lot of reading and understanding, but if done correctly it should work out well.
If you feel this guide is a little long, you could try out this one which is a much shorter version. Good luck. icon14.gif

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

Demarest claimed he could have made it for the ps2 and xbox versions howsver thiz would have involved burning new play disks... Whisch distributing or hosting of this is against forum rules.

Fyi... For ancestral recall... You don't have to switch back the american.gxt file.... The modded one is fully compatible with the game.

Regarding the trial by dirt test track bug..... If you have the times in your stats... The same or not, the game considers them done

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users