Quantcast

» «
Photo

Flying Lotus is getting his own Radio Station!

144 replies to this topic
Raavi
  • Raavi

Z

• European-Union
  • Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE (jamieleng @ Wednesday, Apr 24 2013, 16:24)
QUOTE (Raavi @ Wednesday, Apr 24 2013, 15:03)
QUOTE (jamieleng @ Wednesday, Apr 24 2013, 16:01)
QUOTE (Raavi @ Wednesday, Apr 24 2013, 14:48)
I hope they also include a 60's, 70's and 80's station and a Classic Rock one. Because if this is the standard for the music in V, I'll be heavily disappointed. Hope it's not all new age sh*t.

Ogden's Nut Gone Flake-Small Faces
&
Radar Love-Golden Earring

Says to me that we'll get some great songs from every decade since the 60's.

Thanks for clearing that up. icon14.gif

No problem Evil Popeye wink.gif

I love hearing old & mostly unheard (by today's youth) songs in video games. Fallout 3 & NV had 50's songs swimming around in my head for months. Then you've got Bioshock Infinite, which put an old Barbershop style spin on modern songs.

Amen to that. I also loved the music in Mafia II, it had songs going back as far as the 30's, even the 20's, if my memory serves me right that is. Everything ranging from Dean martin to the Andrew Sisters. Gotta love the classics.

Honest Bill
  • Honest Bill

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (SwaggedOut @ Wednesday, Apr 24 2013, 17:58)
QUOTE (BeyondRage @ Wednesday, Apr 24 2013, 16:40)
QUOTE (JuventusFC @ Wednesday, Apr 24 2013, 15:19)
QUOTE (BeyondRage @ Thursday, Apr 25 2013, 01:07)
The less rock, metal, trash stations, the better.

I want full on in my face funk, soul, electronic, hip hop and 80s new wave

Ok. GTA V is only for you.

Definitely one of the most retarded things on this forum is people like in that quote that say what radio stations they DON'T want in the game, like they are FORCED to listen to them. suicidal.gif

Oh shut up.

When you got on a bike in GTAIV, the 900 for example, the default station was Liberty City Hardcore.

Add the Sentinel, every chopper and most sport bikes in TLAD, along with a bunch of other vehicles, really irritated the life out of me sometimes.

One of the most memorable moments for me was jacking a chopper from some fat biker guy and the radio was tuned to Candi Staton.. i laughed my arse off.

pentaxian
  • pentaxian

PKDY Crew Representative

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (Rjeev142 @ Wednesday, Apr 24 2013, 13:31)
I doubt that he'll have a station exclusively for his songs. What they mean is that he'll probably be a dj.

hope so... at this point in gtas history to still be makin stations with one artist would be disappointing.

Blood_Money
  • Blood_Money

Cártel de Los Santos

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:20 AM

Good news.

ed72o
  • ed72o

Thug

• Members

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:42 AM

QUOTE (golf wang @ Wednesday, Apr 24 2013, 18:46)
QUOTE (ed72o @ Wednesday, Apr 24 2013, 08:23)
So in other words it's been confirmed that the radio stations will suck suicidal.gif

When was that ever confirmed?

Since whatever his name is will have his own station

And stop supporting this dude
We don't need a repeat of IV stations suicidal.gif

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:58 AM

QUOTE (ed72o @ Wednesday, Apr 24 2013, 16:23)
So in other words it's been confirmed that the radio stations will suck suicidal.gif

Nah, the only thing confirmed is that you have awful taste in music.

JuventusFC
  • JuventusFC

Vincere non è importante, ma è l'unica cosa che conta

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:45 AM

QUOTE (BeyondRage @ Thursday, Apr 25 2013, 01:40)
QUOTE (JuventusFC @ Wednesday, Apr 24 2013, 15:19)
QUOTE (BeyondRage @ Thursday, Apr 25 2013, 01:07)
The less rock, metal, trash stations, the better.

I want full on in my face funk, soul, electronic, hip hop and 80s new wave

Ok. GTA V is only for you.

Definitely one of the most retarded things on this forum is people like in that quote that say what radio stations they DON'T want in the game, like they are FORCED to listen to them. suicidal.gif

Oh shut up.

When you got on a bike in GTAIV, the 900 for example, the default station was Liberty City Hardcore.

It's more important for you to not hear heavy music for 2 seconds before you change the radio instead of the people that will actually enjoy it.

f*ckING MORON suicidal.gif

kylej
  • kylej

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:25 AM

f*ck YES!

Probably lots of Odd Future and Kendrick and sh*t I love on this station. Most likely will be the one I am always on.

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:31 AM

Flying Lotus is a beast. I only started listening to him recently, though. But, as previously stated, I don't think the station will have his songs only. Kind of a waste of audio if you ask me.

Here is one of his more popular instrumentals. Many people know this sh*t but don't know who made it. I only found out days ago.

man dragon
  • man dragon

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE (kylej @ Thursday, Apr 25 2013, 04:25)
f*ck YES!

Probably lots of Odd Future and Kendrick and sh*t I love on this station. Most likely will be the one I am always on.

I doubt it. I think rap supergroups like Odd Future (Tyler, Earl, Left Brain, Hodgy, Miike G) and Black Hippy (Kendrick, Schoolboy Q, Jay Rock and Ab-Soul) will have their own distinct radio station more focused on contemporary underground Hip-Hop. It'd be great to actually get one of those guys to host the station too, and not totally out of Rockstar's influence.

I see Flying Lotus' station being more downtempo electronic music with a mix of dubstep* artists like SBTRKT, Four Tet, Caribou and the Jet Age of Tomorrow (who are also, coincidentally, in OFWGKTA).

*Not brostep like Skrillex, which was oh so popular in 2011, but that fad is fading very quickly.

Remi749
  • Remi749

Thug

• Members

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE (Grand Theft Savage @ Thursday, Apr 25 2013, 04:31)
Flying Lotus is a beast. I only started listening to him recently, though. But, as previously stated, I don't think the station will have his songs only. Kind of a waste of audio if you ask me.

Here is one of his more popular instrumentals. Many people know this sh*t but don't know who made it. I only found out days ago.

Yeah me too, Thanks for sharing that song smile.gif Great!

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

Remi749
  • Remi749

Thug

• Members

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:36 AM Edited by Remi749, 25 April 2013 - 04:35 PM.

Update #3: 25th April 2013
Reddit User: travailleur said this:
"My roommate talked to Flying Lotus after the show (I had to skip the show, unfortunately), ..."
He basically said one of the biggest franchises around, set in "L.A.", and lots of driving and shooting.
If it's anything but GTA V, it hasn't been announced yet."

- So now we know the game FlyLo was talking about is set in L.A, meaning it's either GTA V or a new game that hasn't been announced yet.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

I think Rone would be a good fit for such a station.

Lock N' Stock
  • Lock N' Stock

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE (blakeney @ Wednesday, Apr 24 2013, 12:43)
Defo seems like GTA to me, does Saints Row have radio too?

Yeah it does. However, Saints Row IV doesn't look to be shooting people with guns but ridiculously fighting aliens with laser rifles and superpowers.

Remi749
  • Remi749

Thug

• Members

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE (Gst0395 @ Thursday, Apr 25 2013, 08:51)
QUOTE (blakeney @ Wednesday, Apr 24 2013, 12:43)
Defo seems like GTA to me, does Saints Row have radio too?

Yeah it does. However, Saints Row IV doesn't look to be shooting people with guns but ridiculously fighting aliens with laser rifles and superpowers.

- We know that the game FlyLo was talking about is set in L.A, meaning it's either GTA V or a new game that hasn't been announced yet.

oblivionskate
  • oblivionskate

Ghettotech

• Members

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:20 AM

I f*ckING CALLED IT! nobody looked twice at my post either!

Remi749
  • Remi749

Thug

• Members

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:35 PM Edited by Remi749, 26 April 2013 - 03:48 PM.

QUOTE (oblivionskate @ Friday, Apr 26 2013, 02:20)
I f*ckING CALLED IT! nobody looked twice at my post either!

What post?

EDIT: I just checked your posts out and you certainly did!

For other users to see:

Thursday, Jan 31 2013
GTA V Soundtrack Wishlist Post

Thursday, Jan 31 2013
Radio DJ's in GTA V Post

I guess you are pretty happy about the news?

aragond
  • aragond

We are the Aragond. We will bury you.

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:23 PM Edited by aragond, 26 April 2013 - 04:29 PM.

QUOTE (inflamedeyeball @ Wednesday, Apr 24 2013, 22:44)
I don't think an entire radio station for one artist is a good idea, nor is it very likely. Phil Collins didn't even get one in Vice City Stories, and he was in the game itself, mo-capped and all, and that man is a legend.

QUOTE (Calanguento @ Wednesday, Apr 24 2013, 22:48)
An entire radio station for a single artist? WTF!

Au contraire.
  • Tuff Gong Radio was pretty-much the Bob Marley and the Wailers radio station,
  • The original K-Jah, which was one of the best radio stations in a GTA game, entirely consisted of the 1981 Scientist album "Scientist Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampires",
  • RISE FM, the **VERY** best radio station Rockstar have ever produced was almost entirely Slyder/RRDS (a.k.a. Cloud2Ground), and
  • Flashback FM 95.6 was just the Giorgio Moroder radio station, lifting every track from the Scarface soundtrack.
On the other hand, if we assume Flying Lotus will be choosing the music, but not all his own...
  • Mister Cee and DJ Green Lantern owned The Beat radio station, choosing other peoples' music,
  • DJ Premier did the same for The Classics 104.1
  • François K and Crookers also owned Electro-Choc.
  • George Clinton on Bounce FM,
  • Phillip Michaels on CSR,
  • Chuck D on Playback FM,
  • Mr. Magic on VC's Wildstyle,
  • And I find it hard to believe that exalted musicians such as Roy Ayers, Femi Kuti and Roy Haynes had no input into each of their stations, and
  • Iggy Pop, too, and
  • Even Jimmy Gestapo and Max Cavalera probably had some hand in LCHC. Daddy Yankee in San Jaun Sounds. Maybe even Juliette Lewis did, since she does have her own band.
Okay, yes, Karl Lagerfeld is probably definitely the big exception.

Phil Collins was probably just too expensive, and VC had a poofteenth the budget of IV and V.

So, there is NOTHING bad about giving Lotus and Kavinsky their own radio stations, unless you just don't like their music. But, hey, there's gonna be enough stations to choose from.

I, for one, look forward to our musical overlords... no, I mean, I am just glad R* got their head out of ... and started getting experimental, like their miniscule budget on III forced them to be. VC's and SA's soundtracks were just retro pop. Not even underground sh!t. I would LOVE to have heard some of the real underground gangsta rap of the early 90s we never heard on the radio, but R* abandoned it in favour of chart stuff. Now, with IV, they returned to their roots, and I, for one, am very glad they did. I don't like everything that was on IV's soundtrack, but there was a lot to like, and I really appreciate they're trying.

The aforementioned K-Jah and RISE FM stations GAVE ME my present love of Dub and Trance music. I've listened to RISE FM more than I have most albums in my collection. R*'s experimenting gave me a wider appreciation of music out there in the world and I am better for it. Well, at least my CD collection is.

So, Lotus, Kavinsky, bring it on, is what I say.

**EDIT:
QUOTE (John The Grudge @ Thursday, Apr 25 2013, 18:43)
I think Rone would be a good fit for such a station.

Agreed!
Nice.

Remi749
  • Remi749

Thug

• Members

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:38 PM

^Great and informative post smile.gif

UncleFunkenstien
  • UncleFunkenstien

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:03 AM

If there is any artist right now that catches the LA vibe, it's this guy. Flying Lotus has a huge ass musical heritage as well, what with his great-aunt being Alice Coltrane and his grandmother writing songs for Diana Ross. Throw in his record label Brainfeeder (I hope we hear Thundercat, Captain Murphy, and Tokimonsta on his potential station) along with his rap alter ego Captain Murphy, dude's quite a talent. YouTube link at the end, he created the song in an hour. Doesn't matter if you aren't into his music, he's a talented dude.

FlyLo's a huge video game nut as well, he's talked about games on his Twitter account from time to time.

Chances are if you watch Adult Swim, you've heard his music. Especially "Massage Situation" with the Baggage Room background.

Just the thought of doing drive-bys to "Do the Astral Plane" has me excited. I'm also hoping he's a DJ, because he's such a stoner it'd just be hilarious to hear what R* wrote for him.

QUOTE (DneroJohnson @ Wednesday, Apr 24 2013, 14:34)

Can't believe that many people don't know/like him here.

His stuff is some of that good mellow sh*t. icon14.gif

I know, but it's still cool because I remember listening to his stuff in 07 and just thinking this dude is awesome.

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

He had a song featured on Sleeping Dogs, loved it. Are you sure he's not talking about a Sleeping Dogs DLC? tounge.gif

Ultravox
  • Ultravox

domo arigato shinse

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

by "V" Hes referring to the album twitter post here

Remi749
  • Remi749

Thug

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:15 AM Edited by Remi749, 27 April 2013 - 10:18 AM.

QUOTE (Ultravox @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 09:24)
by "V" Hes referring to the album twitter post here

Thanks for clarifying that, willl update the topic

QUOTE (PrometheusX @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 08:47)
He had a song featured on Sleeping Dogs, loved it. Are you sure he's not talking about a Sleeping Dogs DLC? tounge.gif

Since he said that the game is set in L.A I don't think so, unless Sleeping Dogs comes with a whole new city as DLC...

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

я твой слуг

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

Flying Lotus is great. Got introduced to him last year on tour with a band from the U.S. Rockstar are on the mark with this choice. icon14.gif

Remi749
  • Remi749

Thug

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 10:39)
Flying Lotus is great. Got introduced to him last year on tour with a band from the U.S. Rockstar are on the mark with this choice. icon14.gif

Yeah, they really know how to pick out great artist, I bet he is going to double in fans after GTA V releases.

Remi749
  • Remi749

Thug

• Members

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:52 AM

Any followers of Flying Lotus hear something new?

autechrejambo
  • autechrejambo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

Like UncleFunkenstein says, Fly-Lo's the perfect choice to 'curate' a LS radio station. Godfather of the LA Beats scene, label boss of Brainfeeder and entry-point to a wide community of sick West Coast producers (Shlohmo, Thundercat, Nosaj Thing, Take, The Gaslamp Killer, Ras G, to name a few)

R* know their target demographic, given that a large proportion of GTA fans play the game baked wink.gif Looking forward to cruising around at sunset to the sounds of 'Tea Leaf Dancers'...

Zip87
  • Zip87

Hustler

• Members

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (autechrejambo @ Thursday, May 2 2013, 09:30)
Like UncleFunkenstein says, Fly-Lo's the perfect choice to 'curate' a LS radio station. Godfather of the LA Beats scene, label boss of Brainfeeder and entry-point to a wide community of sick West Coast producers (Shlohmo, Thundercat, Nosaj Thing, Take, The Gaslamp Killer, Ras G, to name a few)

R* know their target demographic, given that a large proportion of GTA fans play the game baked wink.gif Looking forward to cruising around at sunset to the sounds of 'Tea Leaf Dancers'...

user posted image

My biggest hope was to have Gaslamp Killer dj a station. I'm happy to have Fly-Lo, but if GLK shows up, or at least has a track on this station, I'll be ecstatic.

streetballdude
  • streetballdude

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

I'm glad, he's an incredible artist. Any Cosmogramma fans on here btw? I can't remember listening to an album more than that one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users