Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why does locking topics raise staffs post tallies?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic
GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

Lets take Adriaan for example: He currently has 6,764 posts; he has 189 pages of posts. There are 25 posts on each page, so if you do the math (25 x 189), it amounts to 4,725. That indicates the other posts were accumulated from locking topics. Why does locking a topic constitute as making a post?

Міro
  • Міro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • GTANet Contribution Award [Newbie Guide]
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

Not necessarily. He could also post in the Staff Room's or the other hidden forums visible to staff members like him, posts that obviously aren't counted in the list you've made up, but that are visible for him and fellow staff members, and are as well added up to the general post count (6,764 as you say he has right now). Also, the reason why a staff member posts the last post of a topic before locking it is obviously because he wants to clarify what the original poster / members who replied have done wrong and why the topic is being locked. And think that this doesn't only apply for the GTA V forum, but for the others as well.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Godfather

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE (miromiro @ Tuesday, Apr 23 2013, 00:06)
Not necessarily. He could also post in the Staff Room's or the other hidden forums visible to staff members like him, posts that obviously aren't counted in the list you've made up, but that are visible for him and fellow staff members, and are as well added up to the general post count (6,764 as you say he has right now). Also, the reason why a staff member posts the last post of a topic before locking it is obviously because he wants to clarify what the original poster / members who replied have done wrong and why the topic is being locked. And think that this doesn't only apply for the GTA V forum, but for the others as well.

+1. I think this maybe true for the gang forums aswell?

Міro
  • Міro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

Nope. The Official Group Forum and the other hidden groups' forums don't add up to the general post count. Not anymore though, they used to until about June 2011 if I remember correctly. However, Adriaan in this particular case wasn't in any group before, so that should not be the case here (not sure if Adriaan was or not, just supposing).

However, members who were taking part of a group before June 2011 do still have those posts added to the general post count.

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

Remember, I'm not singling Adriaan out, seeing as this applies to other staff too. Lets use Girish as another example: He currently has 34,522 posts; he has 1188 pages of posts. There are 25 posts on each page, so if you do the math (25 x 1188), it amounts to 29,700.

Міro
  • Міro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:33 PM Edited by miromiro, 22 April 2013 - 01:36 PM.

The same things applies to any staff member, don't worry. Girish actually posted a lot more in the hidden forums than Adriaan, that's for sure. Firstly because he was a member of Leone Family Mafia a lot before June 2011, and in the group forums and might have posted a lot, plus many many other posts in the Mod Cave and the Staff Room. It's obvious that not all of his posts are visible. Any staff member posts in the Staff / Admin / Mod forums + the group forums, thus making a bunch of their posts invisible to normal members, like myself and yourself (excepting that I have access to Zaibatsu & Official Group Forum).

A perfect example for staff members that post a lot in the hidden staff forums would be Tank - he has 2,500+ posts and only 7 pages of 25 posts are visible, which means that only 175 posts are posted in the public forums, while the other 2,300+ posts are posted in the hidden forums. And you can't really say that Tank posted a lot of "Locking this topic" alike-posts.

Barguast
  • Barguast

Thy next foe is...

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (GTASAddict @ Monday, Apr 22 2013, 13:00)
Why does locking a topic constitute as making a post?

It doesn't.

As other have said, the posts you see when you search like this are public posts only. The post count on a profile is also an accumulation, whereas the search results might not necessarily include deleted or archived posts.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

What I want to know is why you care about it so much? Post counts are just a number with no significance. Just enjoy your time here instead of constantly worrying about such silly trivial things which you seem to be constantly doing.

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (Ryan @ Monday, Apr 22 2013, 14:41)
What I want to know is why you care about it so much?

Why do you insist on answering my questions with questions? PM dude, don't clutter topics with spam. I request you lock this if you think it's "trivial".

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

Topics are to be discussed by posting in them, not by personal messaging about them. I suggest you go read up on the definition of spam too, because my post was clearly not it.

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:00 PM Edited by GTASAddict, 23 April 2013 - 12:10 PM.

Your post had nothing to do with my topic, thus it was spam. The topic was ruined.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (miromiro @ Monday, Apr 22 2013, 08:06)

This exactly. I know in private forums, at least the OGA, posts don't contribute to overall post counts, but I do believe that staff forums do. Not being able to see all of Adriaan's posts is likely due to not having the proper privileges.

But really, why does this even matter?

Adriaan
  • Adriaan

Uncut

• Members
  • None
  • Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2012
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2012
    Most Respected 2012
    Most Helpful 2012
    Best Returning Member 2012
    Best Contributor [GTA Series] 2012
    Best Forum Ledby 2012
    Best Moderator 2012

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

Your math and assumptions is a bit off. In those examples you made with Girish and I... all of those posts weren't made when we were mods. For instance, I only become a mod last year - despite having registered in 2005.

I think some posts are also still archived. Plus there's staff posts from when I was staff in 2007 and when I returned this year.

I do understand some people (such as yourself?) see post counts as goals and milestones, but that is something I don't personally see as an achievement.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013
    Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Helpfulness Award [GTAF]

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

We don't have to make a post when we lock a topic, but most choose to do so in order to show people why. Sometimes I don't post because the answer is already clear, but most often I try to provide an explanation. It's part of the job, so most staff aren't concerned with post counts.

I know it's already been answered, but it goes for every member if the posts you can see don't correspond to the post count; it's simply because some are in places you don't have access to, like the recycle bin or private forums.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

Grand Theft Auto III Chain Game Former Chief

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:45 AM

QUOTE (Kirsty @ Monday, Apr 22 2013, 22:42)
...it goes for every member if the posts you can see don't correspond to the post count; it's simply because some are in places you don't have access to, like the recycle bin or private forums.

Not only that, but there also are occasions when Moderators got their posts simply deleted either by themselves or by someone else... The same applies to any ordinary Forum member as well.

I too have an non-corresponding number of posts and post count - it's because some of my posts were simply deleted, and other moved along with the whole topic to the bin.

Or... Are single deleted posts also added to the bin?

Shoumic
  • Shoumic

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:44 AM

QUOTE (Arsen Vitiuk @ Tuesday, Apr 23 2013, 12:45)
Or... Are single deleted posts also added to the bin?

Single posts can be added to the bin in Invision power software. Posts/Topics can only be binned by Global Mods or Admins or Led-by in the section they moderate. I think the Bin acts like the recycle bin in your personal computer. This is used just in case something needs to be revived for whatever reason. I'm sure posts can be deleted from the bin as well just in case something needs to be gone permanently but I doubt that is ever done. Only Global Mods and the Administrators can access the bin.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

Grand Theft Auto III Chain Game Former Chief

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE (shoumic @ Tuesday, Apr 23 2013, 10:44)
Single posts can be added to the bin in Invision power software.

Thanks very much! Now I understand!

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (GTASAddict @ Monday, Apr 22 2013, 15:00)
Your post had nothing to do with my topic, thus it was spam. The topic was ruined.

From GT-1: "Entry added to log on Monday, Apr 22 2013, 18:39 Reminder for abusing the report system. Don't report a member, staff or otherwise simply because you disagree with their comments."

Looks like I was wrong.

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (GTASAddict @ Tuesday, Apr 23 2013, 17:41)
QUOTE (GTASAddict @ Monday, Apr 22 2013, 15:00)

From GT-1: "Entry added to log on Monday, Apr 22 2013, 18:39 Reminder for abusing the report system. Don't report a member, staff or otherwise simply because you disagree with their comments."

Looks like I was wrong.

Yes, you were.

Original question has been answered. I think we're done here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users