» «
Photo

Chain game IP security

22 replies to this topic
GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:46 AM Edited by GTASAddict, 16 May 2013 - 11:21 AM.

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Tuesday, Apr 16 2013, 18:37)
The upload/download host can track your IP if they wanted.

Now I'm scared to take my first turn. Would they want to do that anyway? How can I safeguard my IP then?

What the, why'd this get moved here? This is totally in the wrong category. Move again, this time to Network Support. Or better yet, back to the Chain Game Lounge where it belongs.

miromiro
  • miromiro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

Rofl chill out dude nobody will do anything to your IP. Besides, the host of the uploader is quite inactive, and surely he's got better stuff to do than tracking your IP. Just take a turn and enjoy the game. We're all using that Uploader and yet nobody has got into trouble from it.wink.gif

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:30 PM Edited by GTASAddict, 22 April 2013 - 12:36 AM.

I can't "chill out", OrionSR scared me more than CJ scared Johnny Sindacco. The host may have "better stuff to do" but he may perceive this as a challenge.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

If you're that worried, remember every time you use a 'Forum' the Government(s) might be tracking your posting for political intent and putting you on their list(s).
Disconnect from the Internet, burn your credit cards, dispose of your telephones, and your car. Be safe in the knowledge that if you don't exist it's unlikely they can find you.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

Chain Game Development Team

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:02 PM Edited by OrionSR, 21 April 2013 - 08:06 PM.

If you aren't doing anything illegal then don't bother trying to hide your IP from every server on the internet. It's still a good idea to use reasonable care, but generally a good hardware and software firewall combination will keep your computers safe. Having someone actually know your IP doesn't significantly increase the risk.

Samutz probably has logs that include the IP used to upload each file. I would expect these records are necessary for the security and maintenance of the service. These records most likely go unread month after month and eventually get recycled to the bit can, unless there's a problem.

A not entirely hypothetical example: A hacker infiltrates the chain game, deliberately corrupts the save, gets his IP banned from GTAForums, and creates a new account by drawing a different IP through a proxy server to continue causing trouble. Samutz can ban the entire subnet for the proxy server and speed up the process of weeding out the bad apples.

Are you a bad apple?

Added: You should be more concerned about how Google, Microsoft, and other big brother companies are tracking your preferences, location, etc. based on your IPs. We know they actively track and use this information in an effort to get more money out of you, and who knows what else.

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

Right ahead of you, Weasel, except I don't use credit cards (they're debt entrapment slips) and I can't afford a car.

Please, Orion, don't accuse (or slander) me of being a criminal. I don't know what others having my IP can entail for me and that scares me. Understandable, no? If you wouldn't hand out your IP like candy, you can't blame me for stressing my concerns.

Have you seen the torrents of virus links plagued allover the forum lately? About your "hypothetical example", don't give them any ideas.

What is "Samutz"?

miromiro
  • miromiro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

Samutz is the creator of the gtasnp.com site. And as the others have said, you don't have to worry about anything IP related. If your IP was to be taken advantage of on this server, it could be done so anytime, but nobody has any interest in doing that. Any internet web-page can back-track your IP and take advantage of it, so there's no reason to think that the gtasnp.com could be more or less harmful. Nobody does it. Plus, there are thousands of people who've used the gtasnp.com site and had no problems with their online identity.

Shogun Of Japan
  • Shogun Of Japan

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (GTASAddict @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 16:21)
Have you seen the torrents of virus links plagued allover the forum lately? About your "hypothetical example", don't give them any ideas.

I know I'm not a player of the chain game, but I just want to mention I have seen virus links around, that one user who posted fake title of the url and the real url is a virus. Is that what you mean?

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:51 PM Edited by GTASAddict, 24 April 2013 - 12:35 AM.

QUOTE (Shogun Of Japan @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 20:55)
I know I'm not a player of the chain game, but I just want to mention I have seen virus links around, that one user who posted fake title of the url and the real url is a virus. Is that what you mean?

That's one of many.

@Orion, how would you know if someone's "doing anything illegal" by having access to their IP unless you're a hacker? If I shouldn't "bother trying to hide" my IP, does that mean I should relinquish my name, home address, Social Security number and other personal data to strangers too?

TheGodfather.
  • TheGodfather.

Nobody likes me here...I think...

• Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:09 AM

Well any site would get your IP Address as soon as u visit them...but if you are so crazy about hiding your IP just search google for "How to Hide Your IP"
I won't share u the link as I doubt if GTAF supports discussion about proxy servers n all...
But make sure your don't hide your IP while in GTAF or in any other forums as you may be then get suspected as a PBM..tounge.gif

Girish
  • Girish

• India

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:35 AM

Internet naivety at its best.

Every site you log on gets your IP address, even GTAF. I can see what IP and location you're logged on from. If you don't want anyone finding out your IP and are so paranoid, I suggest you log off from the internet.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:06 AM

Before you panic though, I'll be a nice guy and say that people can't see where your house is with the IP solely. Just the location of your ISP and probably your city.

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:23 PM Edited by GTASAddict, 23 April 2013 - 12:25 PM.

QUOTE (Girish @ Monday, Apr 22 2013, 04:35)
I can see what IP and location you're logged on from.

Is that all the information you see? Can you see my password, my Social security number?

Stromae
  • Stromae

Mi Na Badman

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (GTASAddict @ Tuesday, Apr 23 2013, 14:23)

Is that all the information you see? Can you see my password,

You know he could change your password anytime, right? So does it really matter?

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE (ThaBoY @ Tuesday, Apr 23 2013, 12:41)
You know he could change your password anytime, right? So does it really matter?

That answers that one question, but I was asking him (not you) what all else he can see such as my Social security number.

Shoumic
  • Shoumic

16 5 5™

• Members
  • Bangladesh

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE (GTASAddict @ Tuesday, Apr 23 2013, 18:51)
That answers that one question, but I was asking him (not you) what all else he can see such as my Social security number.

I want to add that the Administrators could reset your password to gain access to your account but they will not have access to the password you have assigned if I remember correctly (The software doesn't allow it to be shown). So you don't have to worry about using different passwords in different websites for security. I know that the social security number is a 9 digit number issued to US citizens and I can't possibly imagine how the Mods and Admins could get access to that. Even if they did (which they don't) I don't know why they would want to track you for Social Security purposes in the first place so there's that.

Girish
  • Girish

• India

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (GTASAddict @ Tuesday, Apr 23 2013, 17:53)

Is that all the information you see? Can you see my password, my Social security number?

For a 20 year old, you've very little knowledge about the internet. You really need to educate yourself better on these things.

We don't have access to your social security number. What would we even do with it? And we can't see your password as well. Your IP address is all that we have on you.

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

I'm actually 19 (currently) and won't be 20 until sometime next month.

So you don't have access to my e-mail either?

I understand why GTAforums needs my IP (to ban me if I get out of line, obviously) I just don't understand why the Chain Game website needs it. Judging by the link you used here , the Chain Game changed the URL setting presumably for security reasons.

Shoumic
  • Shoumic

16 5 5™

• Members
  • Bangladesh

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:21 PM Edited by shoumic, 23 April 2013 - 04:26 PM.

QUOTE (GTASAddict @ Tuesday, Apr 23 2013, 21:58)
So you don't have access to my e-mail either?

I understand why GTAforums needs my IP (to ban me if I get out of line, obviously) I just don't understand why the Chain Game website needs it. Judging by the link you used here , the Chain Game changed the URL setting presumably for security reasons.

Yes, the Mods and Admins have access to your e-mail account (To clarify they will only see the user name). Most websites you use track your IP address or store it in some sort of database. Same applies for gtasnp.com (Most likely), it's not anything to be scared about. Also the only reason I feel Samutz changed the URL is so it's easier to get to the website for mission helpers, requester's and Chain Game players, nothing else.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (GTASAddict @ Tuesday, Apr 23 2013, 17:58)
I understand why GTAforums needs my IP (to ban me if I get out of line, obviously) I just don't understand why the Chain Game website needs it.

You cannot do anything against it. Every website you visit on the internet detects your IP adress, that is how things work. If you're scared by that, then the internet is not the best place for you. There is no reason to be afraid of this.

tomi19
  • tomi19

Playa

• Members

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

What the f*ck dude. If you are so paranoid use a proxy. Which is stupid as there's no reason anyone wants to track your IP and if someone does, the only thing they can see is the location of your ISP, not your home, name or social security number.

Master of San Andreas
  • Master of San Andreas

Leaving with a big bang, you guys rock.

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:26 AM Edited by Master of San Andreas, 24 April 2013 - 05:50 AM.

nvm. ph34r.gif

Samutz
  • Samutz

if ($lol) { die(rofl()); }

• Members

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:50 PM Edited by Samutz, 21 May 2013 - 03:53 PM.

I know this is a month old, but the topic was only brought to my attention today.

I've added a privacy policy to gtasnp.com (meant to do it a long time ago and forgot anyway). The short of it is:
Yes, I do store the IP address of every uploaded with the save file information. The reason for this is to protect the site from anyone that might try to exploit or abuse it. For example, I can ban an IP address from the site if they're uploading bad save files with the intent of crashing or hacking the site. So unless something suspicious (or blatantly malicious) is happening, I never even look at IPs, and no one but me has access to them.

I've run the save n play hosting service for over 8 years now. I created it in 2005 with the purpose of providing a quick and easy alternative to using sties like RapidShare and YouSendIt for uploading GTA save files, not for hacking some random peoples' IP addresses.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users