Photo

[GUIDE] PC Parts and what they do

7 replies to this topic
S99
  • S99

'StueyCow'

• Members
  • England

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:36 AM Edited by MMD-stueycow, 22 April 2013 - 07:07 AM.

PC Parts and what they do

PC components
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • Video Card
  • GPU
  • RAM
  • PSU
  • Hard Disk Drive
  • SSD
  • Cases

-CPU - Central processing unit - A central processing unit, also referred to as a central processor unit, is the hardware within a computer that carries out the instructions of a computer program by performing the basic arithmetical, logical, and input/output operations of the system.

user posted image
A Intel CPU

-Motherboard - A motherboard (sometimes alternatively known as the main board, system board, planar board or logic board, or colloquially, a mobo) is the main printed circuit board (PCB) found in computers and other technological systems. It holds many of the crucial electronic components of the system, such as the central processing unit (CPU) and memory, and provides connectors for other peripherals.

user posted image
A motherboard labeled

- Video card - Not a GPU - A video card (also called a video adapter, display card, graphics card, graphics board, display adapter or graphics adapter) is an expansion card which generates a feed of output images to a display. Most video cards offer various functions such as accelerated rendering of 3D scenes and 2D graphics, MPEG-2/MPEG-4 decoding, TV output, or the ability to connect multiple monitors (multi-monitor).

user posted image
A Radeon Video card

- GPU - Graphics processing unit - A graphics processing unit, also occasionally called visual processing unit (VPU), is a specialized electronic circuit designed to rapidly manipulate and alter memory to accelerate the building of images in a frame buffer intended for output to a display.

user posted image
A Nvidia GPU

- RAM - Random-access memory - Random-access memory, is a form of computer data storage. A random-access device allows stored data to be accessed directly in any random order. In contrast, other data storage media such as hard disks, CDs, DVDs and magnetic tape, as well as early primary memory types such as drum memory, read and write data only in a predetermined order, consecutively, because of mechanical design limitations.

user posted image
RAM

- PSU - Power Supply Unit - A power supply unit (PSU) converts mains AC to low-voltage regulated DC power for the internal components of a computer. Modern personal computers universally use a switched-mode power supply. Some power supplies have a manual selector for input voltage, while others automatically adapt to the supply voltage.

user posted image
A PSU with cover removed

- HDD - Hard Disk Drives - A hard disk drive, is a data storage device used for storing and retrieving digital information using rapidly rotating discs (platters) coated with magnetic material. An HDD retains its data even when powered off. Data is read in a random-access manner, meaning individual blocks of data can be stored or retrieved in any order rather than just sequentially. An HDD consists of one or more rigid ("hard") rapidly rotating discs (platters) with magnetic heads arranged on a moving actuator arm to read and write data to the surfaces.

user posted image
A HDD

- SSD - A solid-state drive (SSD) (also known as a solid-state disk or electronic disk, though it contains no actual "disk" of any kind) is a data storage device using integrated circuit assemblies as memory to store data persistently. SSD technology uses electronic interfaces compatible with traditional block input/output (I/O) hard disk drives.

- Case/ Computer case - A computer case is also known as a "computer chassis", "tower", "system unit", "base unit" or simply "case". Also sometimes incorrectly referred to as the "CPU" or "hard drive", it is the enclosure that contains most of the components of a computer (factors typically specify only the internal dimensions and layout of the case. Form factors for rack-mounted and blade servers may include precise external dimensions as well, since these cases must themselves fit in specific enclosures.

user posted image
A case (In parts)

This is work in progress info mainly sourced from wikipedia

Bad.boy!
  • Bad.boy!

SA modder

• Feroci
  • Netherlands

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

Check out the How To Build Your Own Desktop PC topic.

S99
  • S99

'StueyCow'

• Members
  • England

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (Bad.boy! @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 11:33)
Check out the How To Build Your Own Desktop PC topic.

I know but people might think what is a CPU not lets build a pc

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:03 AM Edited by Pico, 22 April 2013 - 04:09 AM.

This post is just a copy-paste job from Wikipedia. If you're trying to put together a computer and can't use Google you shouldn't be putting together a computer.

It isn't even formatted well.
-CPU - Central processing unit - A central processing unit (CPU), also referred to as a central processor unit

RAM - Random-access memory - Random-access memory (RAM)

About as redundant as can be.

And putting down a difference between a GPU and a video card? They're the same damn thing. Your post makes it seem as if a GPU is always specifically referring to the processor on a graphics card but in the same calls it a circuit. A video card and a graphics card do the exact same thing. Therefore, they are the same.

Master of San Andreas
  • Master of San Andreas

Leaving with a big bang, you guys rock.

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:41 AM

No offence but this pretty terrible tbh. The presentation is bad, You could have made it a bit nicer with some banners and headers. Plus it's just a copy and paste job from Wikipedia which anyone could do. You yourself have no idea what you are doing, Like Pico said you differentiated between a GPU and a video card which are exactly the same thing. It just seems like a on-the spot job. Also I don't think the information you gave would be of use to anyone.

Request a lock and go and prepare it up and do a lot of research. You could have given us the first Processor, The different manufacturers, An FAQ column, How to find out if you can run a game and so many more things could have been implemented. But you failed to do so, I wish you Good Luck with the guide if you are re-doing it next time. smile.gif

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:38 AM

To be blunt, this is just a terrible effort all around. You've clearly just copied and pasted everything and the pictures you included of the components are years out of date. Furthermore, this is rather redundant. Everything you've covered here I've already covered in my topic.

S99
  • S99

'StueyCow'

• Members
  • England

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE (MMD-stueycow @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 10:36)

This is work in progress

May I point you in the direction of the quoted text i typed

AreXi
  • AreXi

Quack Quack

• Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE (MMD-stueycow @ Monday, Apr 22 2013, 09:10)
QUOTE (MMD-stueycow @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 10:36)

This is work in progress

May I point you in the direction of the quoted text i typed

First off, all of this is covered in Ryan's topic, with up-to-date information and parts.

Second, why would you make a topic like this if it's not finished yet?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users