Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Evil Within

116 replies to this topic

Poll: The Evil Within (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Why do you think these are the system requirements?

1. The requirements listed are for ultra - 60fps - 4k gaming. (3 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Requirements are listed a bit higher just to be safe. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. To encourage the new Nvidia card sales. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Poor Optimization. (8 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

5. Other (Please leave a comment and say why) (1 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote
theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:59 PM Edited by theomenofficial, 26 July 2013 - 05:21 PM.

The Evil Within is a survival horror title due to arrive on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC, Xbox One and PS4 in 2014.
"The Evil Within is a welcome return to survival horror. It mixes the over-the-shoulder combat (and chainsaw-wielding nutters) of Resident Evil 4 with the grim, psychological horror of Silent Hill, and the id Tech-powered visuals are beautifully atmospheric."

First and foremost, Mikami prioritizes the experience of real terror in survival horror titles.  He remarked at E3 that players “should experience immeasurable fear [and] also the triumph of overcoming those fears.”  These goals are apparent in E3’s live demo of The Evil Within. Sebastian, the game’s protagonist, must flee from a chainsaw-wielding enemy, and this pursuit takes place in a series of narrow and dimly lit corridors, leaving players few places to hide. Eventually, Sebastian manages to conceal himself inside a locker, but even this shelter is not safe. His monstrous pursuer destroys the adjacent lockers before growing distracted at the last possible second. A later segment of the demo finds Sebastian armed but still at a disadvantage. As he wanders down a long corridor, the building’s architecture changes without warning and spawns either a horde of enemies or an abrupt wave of blood a la The Shining. In time, the visions fade to reveal that he has been teleported to an entirely different location, disorienting both the character and the player directing him.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Mikami said better graphical quality has the “capacity to make the fear much closer to you,” and the ability to add in more animation can change how a character moves in a certain situation.

Mikami feels many horror games suffer from sequelitis, and in order to continue, developers just amp up the action instead of the scares.

“Used at the right time and in the right way disempowerment can be the most powerful tool for the horror game creator,” he said. “Sequels are a big problem in horror entertainment. As a horror game series continues you begin to know who the enemies are going to be. Just this knowledge naturally makes the game less scary.

“So to capture a wider audience designers add more action. That further reduces how frightening the game feels. Instead of trying to introduce new ideas I want to return to survival horror’s roots. We’ve strayed from that. I want to explore fear again, and that sense of overcoming fear, one that’s unique to games.

“That’s one reason I’m making The Evil Within. Really, I’m making this game just because it’s fun to scare people.”

Mikami also revealed at E3 that his latest game will not be plagued by the pesky, button-mashing sprees known as quick time events. This decision seems to be a direct response to how QTE-laden titles tend to veer sharply into action filled territory. The split-second response required for QTEs do make for tense, dramatic set pieces, but they test how quickly a player can press a button rather than challenging players to direct a character in a dire situation. Indeed, the only “quick” decisions in the demo require players to rapidly steer Sebastian around debris or swiftly throw a bottle as a distraction. The result is a more immersive and believable horror experience that is uninterrupted by frenzied attempts to press “X” within an allotted time period.

Gameplay.

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:20 AM

Really liking the looks of this.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:22 PM

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:28 PM

What in Satan's name did I just watch? 

I'm terrified, but intrigued. 

• FranklinDeRoosevelt likes this

GTA DUDE05
  • GTA DUDE05

Prankster

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:33 PM

This game freak the sh*t out of me,reminds me of the Silent Hill Series :blink:

• FranklinDeRoosevelt likes this

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:16 AM

And that is how folks........a horror game is supposed to be.

OnceAgainYoungFitzpatrick
  • OnceAgainYoungFitzpatrick

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:38 AM Edited by OnceAgainYoungFitzpatrick, 10 April 2014 - 04:40 AM.

Eh. Would be a lot scarier if it was first person. Third person kills the immersion. Also the graphics and animations seem to be pretty weak for a summer 2014 title. But, if it gets great reviews, I will pick it up. Let's just hope the story doesn't get too silly and ridiculous and tries to stay at least a bit realistic.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:09 AM

Eh. Would be a lot scarier if it was first person. Third person kills the immersion. Also the graphics and animations seem to be pretty weak for a summer 2014 title. But, if it gets great reviews, I will pick it up. Let's just hope the story doesn't get too silly and ridiculous and tries to stay at least a bit realistic.

wut?

The best horror games to date are all 3rd Person. Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Dead Space.

• Failure likes this

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:35 AM

Hmph. The trailer makes it look somehow scary, but in reality it's probably going to lean on cliches. Previous gameplay videos shown nothing but a Resident Evil 4-like shooter (but this time the shooting mechanics are rather sucky-sucky), with more accent on "scary" atmosphere. Except it's not going to be scary really.

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:52 PM

wut?

The best horror games to date are all 3rd Person. Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Dead Space.

Uh yeah... those are the most well KNOWN and famous of horror games, but definitely not the scariest. It's a completely different experience playing first person instead of third person.

arsenal_fan
  • arsenal_fan

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

I'm looking foward to this and Alien Isolation, both games look like they have great potential to be scary as f*ck. The Evil Within does intrigue me more though as the imagery and scenes in the trailer looks very unique.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

wut?

Well tbh, Dead Space became a dead franchise ever since 2 came out. 3 was the absolute worst. Resident Evil is just a milked franchise and went from scary to repetitive after 4. Silent hill on the other hand is still pretty good and scary. In a way, he's right. Outlast, Daylight, these are examples of freaky first person horror games, even slender.

Real_Badgirl
  • Real_Badgirl

Peon

• Members

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:09 PM

I really hope this will be good. The graphics don't look as good as they could be, but that isn't a huge thing for me.

I've been craving some new horror games, so I'm really hoping that both this one and Alien: Isolation deliver.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:25 PM

If there's one thing about the Japanese, it's that they're good at horror.

The Grudge, Silent Hill, Resident Evil anyone?

I have high hopes for this. I don't know much about it though. I usually read up as much as I can about a game I'm excited for, but for this one I'm staying in the dark =)

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:34 PM Edited by Zancudo, 11 April 2014 - 02:35 PM.

But... but... Resident Evil isn't scary. Perhaps it was scary back in the 90s/early 00s, when most of us were just a bunch of kiddos. Today? Not at all! Playing the original trilogy is more of a comedy than horror.

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:03 PM

The graphics suck because it's a cross generation game. Sick of these publishers pushing games out on both generations just so they can get as much money as possible. Now the game has to suffer the restrictions provided by last generation consoles technology.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:44 PM

But... but... Resident Evil isn't scary. Perhaps it was scary back in the 90s/early 00s, when most of us were just a bunch of kiddos. Today? Not at all! Playing the original trilogy is more of a comedy than horror.

Yeah I was talking about the original Resident Evil. The series now is a shadow of what it used to be, and what it could've been.

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:01 PM

Too bad it's still on last generation because it looked crappy in the trailer posted. :/

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:17 PM

It really doesn't matter as long as the game is actually scary and done right. Resident Evil 6 has great graphics and SUCKS. So did 5.

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:40 AM

Previews suggest this game might not be scary at all. Some of them compared it to the "action-shooter" vide RE6.

Told ya'.

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

It really doesn't matter as long as the game is actually scary and done right. Resident Evil 6 has great graphics and SUCKS. So did 5.

Of course, if it plays good first but we have new hardware, it should matter if it looks good.

That's still going to be the problem since they releasing it on every platform.

MadMugen
  • MadMugen

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:27 PM Edited by MadMugen, 21 July 2014 - 11:27 PM.

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:38 AM

Yeah, I watched those videos (still pisses me off that Pewds is the most subscribed account on YouTube. Says something about how intelligent this world is) and it looks pretty good. Only a few worries. The dialogue of the main character is pretty bad and also the voice acting as well. There isn't any fear in his voice. As for the dialogue, like I said, it's pretty weak.

Also a bit worried that the graphics/framerate is going to be bad on release date.

Luismy_MMD
  • Luismy_MMD

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:35 PM Edited by Luismy_MMD, 25 September 2014 - 11:37 PM.

http://www.bethblog.com/

On the heels of our Gone Gold announcement, we’ve put the final touches on the recommended PC requirements for The Evil Within. These specifications are listed as “recommended” as they are the settings we’ve determined ensure that your gameplay experience plays as intended by the development team.

Note: We do not have a list of minimum requirements for the game. If you’re trying to play with a rig with settings below these requirements (you should plan to have 4 GBs of VRAM regardless), we cannot guarantee optimal performance.

Recommended PC System Specifications

• 64-bit Windows 7/Windows 8
    i7 with four plus cores
  • 4 GBs RAM
  • 50 GB of hard drive space*
  • GeForce GTX 670 or equivalent with 4GBs of VRAM         <----- ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿??????????????
  • High Speed Internet Connection
    Steam account and activation

*It’s worth noting that the 50 GB of space required is for the PC install. When the installation is complete, the game will take up ~41 GB of HDD space.

Speaking of space (and by your request), here are the install sizes for the console versions of the game.

• Xbox One — 40 GB HDD Space
  • PlayStation 4 — 40 GB HDD Space
  • PlayStation 3 — 7 GB HDD Space
  • Xbox 360 — 7 GB

What do you think? 

- The requirements listed are for ultra 60fps 4k gaming.

- Requirements are listed a bit higher just to be safe.

- Subtle way of saying "buy a 970x"

- Crappy optimization

- Other: ____________

Thoughts on this?

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:22 AM

I'm assuming the 4GB VRAM is a typo or something.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:00 AM

To be honest I doubt it's a typo.

What I can't understand is why the hefty requirements for such an outdated looking game.

Seriously I thought it looks like a Resident Evil game on PS2. All I can say is word gets around fast these days, and if it's a sh*t port then it's gonna get sh*t sales.

Developers don't seem to understand that for some reason.

• Luismy_MMD likes this

Luismy_MMD
  • Luismy_MMD

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:22 PM

I'm assuming the 4GB VRAM is a typo or something.

It's in the Bethesda official blog and basically everywhere, so I don't think so :/

Maybe Evil Within will have that "uncompressed textures" mode that Wolfenstein TNO had and that's why 4gb of Vram are needed? (Completely unnecessary and performance breaking option in my opinion)

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

I play both sides of the fence

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:34 PM

PS4 or X1? Any Suggestions? Exclusives?

TakeThatObjection
  • TakeThatObjection

El Psy Kongroo

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

To be honest I doubt it's a typo.

What I can't understand is why the hefty requirements for such an outdated looking game.

Seriously I thought it looks like a Resident Evil game on PS2. All I can say is word gets around fast these days, and if it's a sh*t port then it's gonna get sh*t sales.

Developers don't seem to understand that for some reason.

Well the previews do look good. But an unoptimized port on pc won't do it much good. After all it won't be like dark souls with a crazy following who will save the game from a bad port. 

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

Lucky 38

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:14 PM

I'm certainly not one to defend Bethesda, but they're a largely PC focused company. I doubt it is just because of a bad port, that wouldn't make much sense.

I have no idea what this game is though, so I could be wrong.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users